[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

On 8/16/2020 at 1:24 PM, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

This one has definitely been translated before, but don't remember by who and it's cute, so I did it again anyways

weibo.com/tangqigongzi

He was right! BGG'd intelligence is way above the average.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:38 AM, MayanEcho said:

The number of girls plus one brave lad interested/attracted/obsessed with him in eight deserts and six directions is frightening. I'll hide in Tai Chen Palace too, and half parent the Jiuchongtian rascal Lian Song rather than face that horde. :lol:

The weirdo of Tai Chen who avoids crowd like the plague left his palace and joined the wedding procession in Qing Qiu...because the time has finally come for him to meet his Xiao Bai. :)

Fangirls/fanboys can be rather frightening! 

DH did a fantastic job half parenting LS. He is smart and have good values. 

I absolutely love all the fan art you posted :fullofhearts:

19 hours ago, Megan said:

Dong Hua was definitely not that courteous in the drama. Instead of “will you marry me?”, he says “I will marry you.” On the bright side, at least he didn’t insult her in that proposal. 

At first when I watched it, I thought that was not a proposal! 

But after thinking about it, it was great how DH was firm about marrying FJ. Like there was no other option from his point of view. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

On 8/17/2020 at 11:08 AM, ChibiLy said:

Fangirls/fanboys can be rather frightening! 

DH did a fantastic job half parenting LS. He is smart and have good values. 

I absolutely love all the fan art you posted 

I'm glad you like them! The artists are so talented, and they also loved ELOD and TMOPB.

LS and DH close relationship isn't just from playing board games, but from close interactions way, way back. The bluntness and sharp tongue of DH doesn't bother LS anymore, and yet with him, DH also would say things he'll never really tell others. Like FJ is a beauty, and that she's interesting. :lol: (ELOD ep 25, 26 / PB1 p32, p52)

LS, even if he's the incorrigible Jiuchongtian rascal, also has DH's backing. That, will be more apparent in Lotus Steps.

• Like 1

I just watched episode 2. I love how Feng Jiu has allies. What disappointed me was how she gave up too easily to save the butterfly. Even if Chonglin distracted her, saving a butterfly is more important than keeping this brutal job. There are other ways to pay a life debt. 
On the bright side, it is so satisfying to see Dong Hua ignore Zhihe.

• Wiggle 1

42 minutes ago, Megan said:

Out of curiosity, what do you thing happened to Zhihe’s maid? Did she go into exile with her mistress? Or did she stay around in time to hear news that Dong Hua was marrying Feng Jiu?

Yu Ru? Probably sent away. She was with Zhi He in the show confronting Ji Heng. She was likely seen as an accomplice with Zhi He's husband snagging tricks.

In the book, Zhi He is in Bingcang ceremony. So she'd know right there and then that DH and FJ are married.

There were those among the spectators who were genuinely worried for her, and there were those who were there only for the spectacle. Leading the former group was Cang'yi Shenjun who had always been secretly admiring Fengjiu, even till now. The latter group was led by Donghua Dijun's foster sister, Princess Zhi'he. (PB2, p395)

In the drama adaptation, ZL sent the invitations to all families. The wedding of the Emperor is a big event among immortals and deities. Even in exile, ZH is bound to hear about it.

19 minutes ago, Megan said:

What disappointed me was how she gave up too easily to save the butterfly. Even if Chonglin distracted her, saving a butterfly is more important than keeping this brutal job. There are other ways to pay a life debt. 

It's not that she doesn't want to save the butterfly, but she'll either be punished more if she defies ZH by insisting to save the butterfly, or she'll be sent out. Above all, they shouldn't know she's a princess too.

FJ was there in the palace to pay back the favour, and her identity as the Qing Qiu's only heiress must be concealed. She has to act like a servant and be subservient. Had FJ been beaten up as ZH planned, and her identity is revealed, that will cause another uproar between the nine-tailed fox clan and the celestials.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Yu Ru? Probably sent away. She was with Zhi He in the show confronting Ji Heng. She was likely seen as an accomplice with Zhi He's husband snagging tricks.

But is she still in Taichen Palace when it becomes clear Feng Jiu will become the lady of the palace? I find it awkward to think of Feng Jiu and Yu Ru in the same Palace after she bullied Feng Jiu who will now be her boss.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Megan said:

But is she still in Taichen Palace when it becomes clear Feng Jiu will become the lady of the palace? I find it awkward to think of Feng Jiu and Yu Ru in the same Palace after she bullied Feng Jiu who will now be her boss.

Yu Ru wasn't shown in the show anymore after the wedding fiasco. She's either exiled with ZH, in jail, or dismissed, because pretty sure she connived with her mistress in trying to hoodwink DH.

If anybody has to feel awkward should she still be in Tai Chen palace, it's the maid who bullied a newcomer and younger maid. Never mind that she didn't know FJ was a princess. She was mean for the same reasons as ZH. They both see FJ's effortless charm and grace, and they're jealous of her beauty.

• Insightful 1

I am currently interested in writing a novel based on ancient mystical China. Hence why I am reading fiction books (not online!) about this.

what I have read so far:

1) Spin The Dawn

2) To The Sky Kingdom (currently)

3) 3 kingdoms (not really mystical but I loved the movie.)

4) 1000 beginnings and endings

5) fortune cookie fox

6) city of a thousand dolls

to read list:

1) Chinese fairy tales and legends

2) wicked fox

3) forest of a thousand lanterns

4) strange stories from a Chinese studio

5) classic of mountains and seas

any other reading suggestions? Plz mention only print books.

I also can’t remember where it was, but there was a link to a lot of ELOD comics. One of the comics showed Xiao Jiu jumping off the cliff and Xuanren crying no, but it was revealed that Xiao Jiu had just been bungee jumping and asked the emperor to join her because it was fun. The emperor and his Guards were left with wide eyes.

any body know the link?

• Like 2

Food for thought:

we both know Dong Hua and Xuanren are very possessive of Feng Jiu and refuse to share her. Shen Ye on the other hand was willing to let her be married to his master.

the main difference is that Dong Hua and Xuanren are pretty much at the top of the social ladder. Shen Ye, while high in status, is not the most powerful person and believes his master can protect Aranya better. If Shen Ye was as influential and powerful as Xize, do you think he would have protested their marriage?

• Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Megan said:

Food for thought:

we both know Dong Hua and Xuanren are very possessive of Feng Jiu and refuse to share her. Shen Ye on the other hand was willing to let her be married to his master.

the main difference is that Dong Hua and Xuanren are pretty much at the top of the social ladder. Shen Ye, while high in status, is not the most powerful person and believes his master can protect Aranya better. If Shen Ye was as influential and powerful as Xize, do you think he would have protested their marriage?

Aranya's marriage to Xi Ze was more of political move by tyrannical Xiangli Que to control the shrine. As for Shen Ye, he could not say or do anything about the marriage because it took place on the day he returned to Fanyin Valley.

Ironically, Shen Ye went to Jiuchongtian for 90 days in place of supposedly sick and about to die Xi Ze.

Ever since Xize contracted his illness, everything at the shrine naturally fell onto his shoulders. This year, Jiuchongtian's Taishang Laojun held a lecture on the theory of zen at the Moonlight Garden on the 32nd celestial sky. He attended in place of Xize. At first, the gathering was said to last a long and dull 81 days. But because so many immortals were invited to the seminar, there formed a liveliness in the atmosphere. Taking advantage of the high spirits, the fruit fairy hosted a fruit party for the immortals, extending the event for nine more days. 

He never thought that by the time he returned to Fanyin Valley, he would be hearing wedding music. 

Aranya got married. Her groom was Xize. (PB2, pp308-309)

Shen Ye was supposed to be the saviour too of Aranya from the snake formation. Yet another irony, that on the day he returned from his 20 years seclusion, during the banquet prepared for him, SMY has taken Aranya to be his disciple. At that time, he acknowledged that he has no power to rescue her, and that SMY Can give her better protection. (PB2, pp305-307)

Even if Shen Ye was the archmage before Aranya's marriage, it is doubtful that he will have a say on whom her parents, who happened to be the king and queen, arrange her marriage to. Even SMY who was influential himself, was Aranya's master, and was in love with her, couldn't do anything. 

Besides, what can Shen Ye really protest of, when Aranya is getting married to his own master and predecessor? Marriage to Xi Ze was one of the best things to happen with Aranya, since she was given freedom and protection, she gained a good friend, and he was there to help fulfill her last wishes after he broke her out from her prison. 

• Insightful 1

53 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Aranya's marriage to Xi Ze was more of political move by tyrannical Xiangli Que to control the shrine. As for Shen Ye, he could not say or do anything about the marriage because it took place on the day he returned to Fanyin Valley.

Ironically, Shen Ye went to Jiuchongtian for 90 days in place of supposedly sick and about to die Xi Ze.

Ever since Xize contracted his illness, everything at the shrine naturally fell onto his shoulders. This year, Jiuchongtian's Taishang Laojun held a lecture on the theory of zen at the Moonlight Garden on the 32nd celestial sky. He attended in place of Xize. At first, the gathering was said to last a long and dull 81 days. But because so many immortals were invited to the seminar, there formed a liveliness in the atmosphere. Taking advantage of the high spirits, the fruit fairy hosted a fruit party for the immortals, extending the event for nine more days. 

He never thought that by the time he returned to Fanyin Valley, he would be hearing wedding music. 

Shen Ye was supposed to be the saviour too of Aranya from the snake formation. Yet another irony, that on the day he returned from his 20 years seclusion, during the banquet prepared for him, SMY has taken Aranya to be his disciple. At that time, he acknowledged that he has no power to rescue her, and that SMY Can give her better protection. (PB2, pp305-307)

Even if Shen Ye was the archmage before Aranya's marriage, it is doubtful that he will have a say on whom her parents, who happened to be the king and queen, arrange her marriage to. Even SMY who was influential himself, was Aranya's master, and was in love with her, couldn't do anything. 

Besides, what can Shen Ye really protest of, when Aranya is getting married to his own master and predecessor? Marriage to Xi Ze was one of the best things to happen with Aranya, since she was given freedom and protection, she gained a good friend, and he was there to help fulfill her last wishes after he broke her out from her prison. 

I know. But say Shen Ye was the one with Xize’s ability to protect Aranya. Would he fight for her hand in marriage then?

41 minutes ago, Megan said:

I know. But say Shen Ye was the one with Xize’s ability to protect Aranya. Would he fight for her hand in marriage then?

If the situation was right, and if their supposed fate wasn't altered, he might. But there's still the possibility that he will not whether their fate was altered or not. That was still Xi Ze. Any other men, he probably would, if he was there.

The parents of Aranya would still have the last say on who she would be wife to, since marriages in their time and place are in the hands of the elders. Even if he's the strongest archmage, the parental rights of the king and queen, as Aranya was still a minor that time, would still supercede Sheng Ye's power and influence.

Note that Sheng Ye's engagement was also arranged, as even if he was an archmage, by consanguinity he is obliged to follow the king's diktats.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

To me to this day I still don't understand the logic behind the parents of Aranya... the mother threw her into the snake pit... the father dont care at all?... i get the mothers pov... arayna is a child she didn't want to have with the new husband. But what was aranya father thinking? Not even trying to save her... does he think that she's the daughter of his brother?

And after so many yrs they think they still have parental rights to her after abandoning her in that snake pit and let her die there... lucky she didn't die there but still died in the end in more heart broken way... even tho the Aranya and SY fate when the wrong way but gave DF a chance to be together i feel sad for those 2 side characters

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, Megan said:

It’s kind of baffling. Why do Bai Qian and Feng Jiu agree to stay in the palaces of the sky kingdom where they were miserable...?

Did you mean Bai Qian as Su Su? As a mortal brought to Jiuchongtian by Tianjun himself, her choices were very limited. The only reason she wasn't immediately killed was her pregnancy. She was holding on as well to the memories of happiness with Ye Hua. She even planned to cultivate to become an immortal.

As for Feng Jiu, she wanted to pay her life debt. She knew it will be hard to serve, albeit unexpectedly, there was Zhi He who was really cruel and picked on her. Later on FJ was turned into that baby fox, and she was good in her life as DH's pet, until Ji Heng and Souying arrived in Tai Chen Palace.

The Qing Qiu women aunt and niece duo have very strong wills when they intend to do something. ^_^

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Did you mean Bai Qian as Su Su? As a mortal brought to Jiuchongtian by Tianjun himself, her choices were very limited. The only reason she wasn't immediately killed was her pregnancy. She was holding on as well to the memories of happiness with Ye Hua. She even planned to cultivate to become an immortal.

As for Feng Jiu, she wanted to pay her life debt. She knew it will be hard to serve, albeit unexpectedly, there was Zhi He who was really cruel and picked on her. Later on FJ was turned into that baby fox, and she was good in her life as DH's pet, until Ji Heng and Souying arrived in Tai Chen Palace.

The Qing Qiu women aunt and niece duo have very strong wills when they intend to do something. ^_^

but why stay there when they marry their husbands? That’s what I meant. They have such unhappy memories there. Feng Jiu could have built her bamboo house. Bai Qian could have at least move to a different courtyard. Why stay in a place filled with sad memories?

oh yeah, I finished episode 3. It’s so sad. Zhihe seems to have mastered the sorrowless pastry after the return trip from Qingqiu. 
worst of all...POOR CARP SPIRIT. May he Rest In Peace. T.T

• Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, FoxontheMoon said:

To me to this day I still don't understand the logic behind the parents of Aranya... the mother threw her into the snake pit... the father dont care at all?... i get the mothers pov... arayna is a child she didn't want to have with the new husband. But what was aranya father thinking? Not even trying to save her... does he think that she's the daughter of his brother?

It's very twisted, but Xiangli Que loved Qinghua enough that he would let his wife do whatever she wanted with Aranya, even if she's his child. Qinghua resents Aranya, he also didn't care.

Things truly changed only when SMY took their daughter from the pit, and raised her so well, that the king saw the value of Aranya, albeit as another pawn to further his ambitions.

In a way, her being thrown to the snake pit was good in the long run. Even if Aranya was raised by snakes before she was under SMY's tutelage, she turned out to be way much better in character and capabilities compared to her horrid sisters who were brought up by their parents in the palace.

Actually, she's really FJ's shadow. Like FJ, Aranya is protective to those she loved, and for her subjects, she can also lay her life for them.

1 hour ago, FoxontheMoon said:

And after so many yrs they think they still have parental rights to her after abandoning her in that snake pit and let her die there... lucky she didn't die there but still died in the end in more heart broken way... even tho the Aranya and SY fate when the wrong way but gave DF a chance to be together i feel sad for those 2 side characters

Unfortunately, especially as they are the rulers of the Biyiniao clan, their rights as parents can not be alienated even if they abandoned Aranya from when she was born. 

DH respects too the love between his shadow and FJ's shadow. Hence the reason he had sealed Shen Ye's soul and Aranya's essences together in a four-season tree, in the hopes of better fortune for the ill-fated couple after million of years. (PB2, p351)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megan said:

but why stay there when they marry their husbands? That’s what I meant. They have such unhappy memories there. Feng Jiu could have built her bamboo house. Bai Qian could have at least move to a different courtyard. Why stay in a place filled with sad memories?

oh yeah, I finished episode 3. It’s so sad. Zhihe seems to have mastered the sorrowless pastry after the return trip from Qingqiu. 
worst of all...POOR CARP SPIRIT. May he Rest In Peace. T.T

There were unhappy memories, but that doesn't mean they can not make good memories in the same place. Besides, those were centuries ago. As rulers, it won't do to stay emotional for something that happened after hundreds of years passed.

Ye Hua is the next Tianjun, so it follows that he lives there and Bai Qian should as well in his official residence. Xi Wu palace have different residential halls, if you watched TMOPB. 

Feng Jiu and Dong Hua would divide their time living in Tai Chen, Bihai Cangling, and Qing Qiu. They can easily do this since DH isn't Jiuchongtian ruler anymore.

The carp spirit - the blame goes to XY and ZH. XY for itching for a fight against DH, that's why his steward asked that carp to be in touch with ZL. As for ZH, she made FJ cook after she made her swim after the boat. Of course she's already so tired that she would fall asleep while cooking. Since the first fish burnt, FJ has to catch another one. Too bad it has to be that carp spirit. 

Re: Zhi He's sorrowless cakes, she got the taste right, but the person who eats her pastry doesn't feel happy. Whereas for FJ's, Lian Song, even Dong Hua, felt that dreamy light-heartedness. Like FJ said, it depends with the person making the sorrowless pastry. In her thoughts,  ZH should correct her ways and be a good and kind immortal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1