[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

6 hours ago, EnyLoenz said:

Hi everybody! I've been reading this thread for months but never commented

I read the books after TMPB and loved them!

Anyway i needed to ask you guys something that is driving me insane! Aranya had like, 25 years? So people in Fanyin Valley live less? Why is that? Does that mean that characters like Meng will live like a human or at least not like othe immortals?

I really don't understand

I dont know if I remember it correctly, but didn't Biayanaos contain themselves because DH set Miaoyi Huiming Realm in Fanyin Valley? Though they didn't know that it was DH who did that and that there is a thing such as the realm, they protected themselves from miasma thus creating that barrier of some sort. Though I dont know if this affected their lifespan.

Edited by LaxClyne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barbedflower said:

Well said @Yori Ten!! He really will do just about anything for her.

Thats what makes it so tragic. We can all see how much they love each other but life/fate/other people still got in the way.

Maybe that's why I love the story so much!

Its a reminder that despite their fates not being in the Rock of Three Incarnations, love rivals, unforeseen circumstances and misunderstandings, they remained true to their love even when they were not or could not be together. 

I feel especially sad for DHDJ because we know what kind person he originally was. I thought watching him suppress his feelings in TMOPB was hard but it was harder to watch him so earnest and sincere in ELOD and have to endure so much pain to be with FJ. 

Both DHDJ and FJ deserves their happy ever after. They fought so hard for it.

True in TMOPB!!! Its not just the unrequited lover who was hurting, also the one who supresses his feelings :bawling:. And them deciding to be true to their heart is the next best thing they could do.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Barbedflower said:

Well said @Yori Ten!! He really will do just about anything for her.

Thats what makes it so tragic. We can all see how much they love each other but life/fate/other people still got in the way.

Maybe that's why I love the story so much!

Its a reminder that despite their fates not being in the Rock of Three Incarnations, love rivals, unforeseen circumstances and misunderstandings, they remained true to their love even when they were not or could not be together. 

I feel especially sad for DHDJ because we know what kind person he originally was. I thought watching him suppress his feelings in TMOPB was hard but it was harder to watch him so earnest and sincere in ELOD and have to endure so much pain to be with FJ. 

Both DHDJ and FJ deserves their happy ever after. They fought so hard for it.

TQ actually wrote a very heart breaking and beautiful line regarding their fateless destiny. Although the English translation very well convey the meaning of their fate, it somehow lost the poetic sadness and despair.

有一句话是情深缘浅,情深是她,缘浅是她和东华。有一个词是福薄,她福薄,所以遇到他,他福薄,所以错过她

The translated version goes as follows:

Feelings are deep, yet fate is shallow. Deep feelings were herself. She and Dong Hua were the shallow fate. Another word for it would be luckless. She had no luck which was why she met him. And he had no luck which was why he let her go.

My translation would be this:

There exist a saying of a feeling so deep but a fate that is shallow. Deep feelings were hers. She and Dong Hua were the fate that is shallow. There is a word called the lack of luck. She had no luck which was why she met him. He had no luck so he lost her.

错过 - literal translation is to let go but I like to intepret it as a missed chance therefore he lost her.

When I read this part, tears were streaming down my cheeks. It is so heart breakingly sorrowful that I sobbed uncontrollably. The words she used summarized their ill fated relationship so poignantly that I was emotionally tormented for hours.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Elegant blossoms said:

As a big fan of Dilraba, I have watched her earlier work in dramas before she became super famous. She didn’t always play the cute sweet innocent roles. In Diamond lover she played GAO Wen the sassy pop star. In hot girl she played the stubborn badass bodyguard. She was pretty tough in the Kings women and very mature and serious in the flames daughter. I think she overall is a great actress. I seriously don’t see how people can not like her. 

True. She’s a great actress. She as xiaojiu makes me feel her longing for sxr, longing and loneliness when she had to hide her love for him. Even as xiaojiu, childishness of fengjiu sometimes showed for exp when she forgot the romantic line her gugu told her. 

What im trying to say is her acting is on point. I wonder why people say she’s bad at it. Didn’t she won few acting awards? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yori Ten said:

TQ actually wrote a very heart breaking and beautiful line regarding their fateless destiny. Although the English translation very well convey the meaning of their fate, it somehow lost the poetic sadness and despair.

Feelings are deep, yet fate is shallow. Deep feelings were herself. She and Dong Hua were the shallow fate. Another word for it would be luckless. She had no luck which was why she met him. And he had no luck which was why he let her go.

There exist a saying of a feeling so deep but a fate that is shallow. Deep feelings were hers. She and Dong Hua were the fate that is shallow. There is a word called the lack of luck. She had no luck which was why she met him. He had no luck so he lost her.

错过 - literal translation is to let go but I like to intepret it as a missed chance therefore he lost her.

When I read this part, tears were streaming down my cheeks. It is so heart breakingly sorrowful that I sobbed uncontrollably. The words she used summarized their ill fated relationship so poignantly that I was emotionally tormented for hours.  

Somehow your translation,  make it even more sad and sorrowful..:tears:

A few saddest lines from ChenYe/Aranya timeline represents ChenYe anguishes ,sorrow and regrets..when he lost Aranya. 

1.People say the most painful thing is a love where you cannot be together in life and cannot meet in death. But that was not it. The worst grief is when you clearly loved her but she never even know to the day she died and you could no longer let her know.

2.That person. You'd never see her again.You could never hear her again.You could never touch her again. She even decidedly gave up on reincarnation.  No matter how many after lives there were no matter who you became, you would never be able to meet her .She was gone, completely and utterly gone.

3. "Look at the love to see the lover". For exp: There was the passionate kind of love, the steady kind love and also the courteous kind of love. There were people loved very MUCH but said very LITTLE .Then there were people love very MUCH and said just as MUCH. One could not say that someone else's feelings weren't love just because his love was different from one's own. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Insightful 1

52 minutes ago, They Sick said:

True. She’s a great actress. She as xiaojiu makes me feel her longing for sxr, longing and loneliness when she had to hide her love for him. Even as xiaojiu, childishness of fengjiu sometimes showed for exp when she forgot the romantic line her gugu told her. 

What im trying to say is her acting is on point. I wonder why people say she’s bad at it. Didn’t she won few acting awards? 

She won lots of awards for her acting, too many to count. I think the most important one was when she won the Golden Eagle Goddess award back in 2018 for her drama Pretty Li Huizhen. Some people think she didn’t deserve it but I think she earned that award for all her hard work. She very much well deserved that award. I really don’t understand why people say she can’t act and she’s all about looks. Which is not true, her acting is very well on point. I think the people that hate her are just jealous of her.

• Like 6

So I was randomly thinking, why are FJ and DH attracted to each other. Please note, my analysis is based on the novel and drama.

FJ's character.

I love her character. She is a positive person, affectionate and a go getter.

FJ is a person that can be labeled as stubborn or have tunnel vision. Once she gets fixated on an idea, she will continue down that track and do what she needs to get the job done. On the other hand, she will try not to burden others with what she wants, she is logical and very understanding for most situations. When she runs into difficulties, She will not blame others, she'd calmly make changes where needed and soldier on.

FJ have many who loves her, this is because she is loyal and respectful to people around her. She gives as much as she receives from others. 

FJ loves to have fun, the more the merrier. She likes to try and experience new things, and loves to share the joy with others.

As she grows older, she tries hard to hide that mischief side of hers and puts out a mature front for others to see. 

Why FJ fell in love with DH.

FJ initially fell for his heroic deeds. As she got to know him better, she starts to admire him as a man, not a god. I think without realizing it, FJ fell deeply in love with DH because of their shared values. DH is dedicated, loyal, in his own ways he will try to returns favors he receives, he likes to try new things and enjoys the process of learning something new. DH is also a go getter and will do what it takes to get things done, but on a different scale to FJ, since he will bulldoze over people he does not care for.

Both DH and FJ view things in extreme. For example, once FJ decides she does not care, that thing or person no longer matters to her. Similarly DH puts matters as to attend or completely ignore.

I truly believe FJ loves DH for all his imperfections. FJ knows DH have a mean streak sense of humor and is shameless. She understands DH the reasons for most of his behaviours, as long as it does not relate to her! She know he is not charitable and does most things to entertain himself. Yet, she can't help but to be attracted to DH because they share so many common values.

For DH. I think DH is highly amused by FJ. Initially it was because she was different, she may present to others a mature front, but the glimpses of her mischievous behaviours have caught his attention. Her behaviours are out of the norm, that he can't help but to keep observing to see what she will do next. She became a mystery he have to unlock. That's why he kept testing her limits.

Before he knew it, DH is deeply in love with FJ. Because she can be caring, playful, smart and keeps him entertained. Her values are in line with his, he loves how she does not rely on him to solve everything, how she is quick to forgive, how she accepts him as he is. He loves it that she becomes 'childish' when they are together, because she is being true to herself and most likely, this side is only shown to him, so only he knows her that way. Her being beautiful is not a main attraction, but a bonus for DH.

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yori Ten said:

Thank you for the explanation and translation! It hit me straight in the heart. *tears*

• Love 2

15 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

So I was randomly thinking, why are FJ and DH attracted to each other. Please note, my analysis is based on the novel and drama.

FJ's character.

I love her character. She is a positive person, affectionate and a go getter.

FJ is a person that can be labeled as stubborn or have tunnel vision. Once she gets fixated on an idea, she will continue down that track and do what she needs to get the job done. On the other hand, she will try not to burden others with what she wants, she is logical and very understanding for most situations. When she runs into difficulties, She will not blame others, she'd calmly make changes where needed and soldier on.

FJ have many who loves her, this is because she is loyal and respectful to people around her. She gives as much as she receives from others. 

FJ loves to have fun, the more the merrier. She likes to try and experience new things, and loves to share the joy with others.

As she grows older, she tries hard to hide that mischief side of hers and puts out a mature front for others to see. 

Why FJ fell in love with DH.

FJ initially fell for his heroic deeds. As she got to know him better, she starts to admire him as a man, not a god. I think without realizing it, FJ fell deeply in love with DH because of their shared values. DH is dedicated, loyal, in his own ways he will try to returns favors he receives, he likes to try new things and enjoys the process of learning something new. DH is also a go getter and will do what it takes to get things done, but on a different scale to FJ, since he will bulldoze over people he does not care for.

Both DH and FJ view things in extreme. For example, once FJ decides she does not care, that thing or person no longer matters to her. Similarly DH puts matters as to attend or completely ignore.

I truly believe FJ loves DH for all his imperfections. FJ knows DH have a mean streak sense of humor and is shameless. She understands DH the reasons for most of his behaviours, as long as it does not relate to her! She know he is not charitable and does most things to entertain himself. Yet, she can't help but to be attracted to DH because they share so many common values.

For DH. I think DH is highly amused by FJ. Initially it was because she was different, she may present to others a mature front, but the glimpses of her mischievous behaviours have caught his attention. Her behaviours are out of the norm, that he can't help but to keep observing to see what she will do next. She became a mystery he have to unlock. That's why he kept testing her limits.

Before he knew it, DH is deeply in love with FJ. Because she can be caring, playful, smart and keeps him entertained. Her values are in line with his, he loves how she does not rely on him to solve everything, how she is quick to forgive, how she accepts him as he is. He loves it that she becomes 'childish' when they are together, because she is being true to herself and most likely, this side is only shown to him, so only he knows her that way. Her being beautiful is not a main attraction, but a bonus for DH.

Thanks for sharing your insights! That was a great and in depth analysis.

DH however will chuck away all of our analysis in a heartbeat. He has chosen her so naturally, she can't be of anything but the very very best. :tounge_wink:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

Somehow your translation,  make it even more sad and sorrowful..:tears:

A few saddest lines from ChenYe/Aranya timeline represents ChenYe anguishes ,sorrow and regrets..when he lost Aranya.  

:bawling::bawling:

Darn those ninja cutting onions!!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2