[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

This is from an old post, but I thought you guys might like to see the artwork done by official artbook. This is Feng Jiu dancing for Dong Hua before he ahem...

Pw1TZhu.jpg

Couldn't play his harp anymore... and called her to him...

and we all know what happened next...

After that, someone got angry with him for making her miss the dancing birds...

Such a beautiful illustration, this is one of my favrourites.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

@Romulan

I did further research on a different angle after a couple dictionary failures on 胭脂菜(Yan Zhi Vegetable) .

I found out there are two types of vegetables it could refer to:

One is the Malabar/Ceylon spinach (Basella Alba) which you already know and it could also refer to the following vegetables, water spinach & ong choy. I have eaten these myself, the latter varieties. 

Here’s more info about the Basella Alba, it isn't a spinach but it just looks like it. Here’s a google search thingy:

“Malabar spinach plant isn't a true spinach, but its foliage does indeed resemble that green leafy vegetable. Also known as Ceylon spinach, climbing spinach, gui, acelga trapadora, bratana, libato, vine spinach and Malabarnightshade, Malabar spinach is a member of the Basellaceae family”

This is not a common vegetable used in Chinese cuisine so I had no clue and had to research on a different tangent. But I am guessing @UnluckyWhiteCat came across the same pages as I did on this vegetable.

The Chinese dictionaries keep telling me it’s rouge (which isn’t wrong) so I had to search differently to find this info so it is not apparent to me at first. But now I know its a real vegetable hahaha and not just fictional!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Also @Romulan For your benefit and the benefit of other readers, I have added an extra note no. 11 in Back to Chaos - Chapter 7 explaining 尘缘 "Chen Yuan" in detail.

WOOT!  ty!!!!!

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

@Romulan

I did further research on a different angle after a couple dictionary failures on 胭脂菜(Yan Zhi Vegetable) .

I found out there are two types of vegetables it could refer to:

One is the Malabar/Ceylon spinach (Basella Alba) which you already know and it could also refer to the following vegetables, water spinach & ong choy. I have eaten these myself, the latter varieties. 

Here’s more info about the Basella Alba, it isn't a spinach but it just looks like it. Here’s a google search thingy:

“Malabar spinach plant isn't a true spinach, but its foliage does indeed resemble that green leafy vegetable. Also known as Ceylon spinach, climbing spinach, gui, acelga trapadora, bratana, libato, vine spinach and Malabarnightshade, Malabar spinach is a member of the Basellaceae family”

This is not a common vegetable used in Chinese cuisine so I had no clue and had to research on a different tangent. But I am guessing @UnluckyWhiteCat came across the same pages as I did on this vegetable.

The Chinese dictionaries keep telling me it’s rouge (which isn’t wrong) so I had to search differently to find this info so it is not apparent to me at first. But now I know its a real vegetable hahaha and not just fictional!

:) also shows all the details and works you guys do when translating for us since its not just a word for word translation.   -- speaking as a reader we really appreciate the extra work and effort it takes.

6 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Hi everyone, we are truly blessed - the old thread was recovered and I've merged the old with the two-pages in the temp thread. So, all is good now. Do continue with your discussions and look forward to more goodies from the blogsite!

Hooray!!!!!  Thank you guys for working on recovering it!  

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

9 hours ago, Romulan said:

Anyone got the BGM link that was posted for ELOD?  (@MayanEcho I think you posted it?)

It's in the temporary drama synopsis 2 pages back. :) If you want too the BGM from one of the official trailer, I'll share it via PM. I only very, very slightly increased the drums sound, all else are the same.

9 hours ago, Romulan said:

Sorrowless Flower cakes? (looking for a recipe

There was a sorrowless recipe in the thread. Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is:

• Awesome 2

Plush Dong Hua and Feng Jiu!

A bit late now, but awesome to know that ELOD is broadcasted in Taiwan via EYETV from 1st April, Mon-Fri from 7pm to 9 pm local time.

Source: EYE TV Taiwan

Vindication for the drama despite the unsavoury reviews when it was first shown - some had harped on the absence of BQ and YH, or that FJ picked a fight with the one-winged lion Souying (did we watch the same thing?), or that DH was not well acted (yet Vengo nominated/won best actor awards for the role).

• Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Plush Dong Hua and Feng Jiu!

Vindication for the drama despite the unsavoury reviews when it was first shown - some had harped on the absence of BQ and YH, or that FJ picked a fight with the one-winged lion Souying (did we watch the same thing?), or that DH was not well acted (yet Vengo nominated/won best actor awards for the role).

This story doesnt even have Bai Qian except for the front and back in print form. I just wished it was mo yuan, bai qian and ye hua who saved them in the series like in the books. There is a reason for that. The three poisons is only temporarily sealed under Kun Lun. It will be coming back to haunt them again later on in Bodhi Fate or Lotus Step according to Tang Qi.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

10 minutes ago, Ninky said:

This story doesnt even have Bai Qian except for the front and back in print form. I just wished it was mo yuan, bai qian and ye hua who saved them in the series like in the books. There is a reason for that. The three poisons is only temporarily sealed under Kun Lun. It will be coming back to haunt them again later on in Bodhi Fate or Lotus Step according to Tang Qi.

In the PB extra, BGG was musing of the "Kunlun incident 3 years ago" as he went to say goodbye to LS before he and FJ goes to Qing Qiu while DH does his annual seclusion. So something happened around 7 years after BQ, MY, and YH broke the starlight ward.

Perhaps that has something to do with the Miaoyi Huiming realm, or about Zu Ti's return to her original form. But because it's in Kunlun, it might have something to do with MY, and maybe even Shao Wan. 

Looking forward on how PB extra and the previous PB and TMOPB would connect to Lotus Steps. :)

• Blob 1

22 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

In the PB extra, BGG was musing of the "Kunlun incident 3 years ago" as he went to say goodbye to LS before he and FJ goes to Qing Qiu while DH does his annual seclusion. So something happened around 7 years after BQ, MY, and YH broke the starlight ward.

Perhaps that has something to do with the Miaoyi Huiming realm, or about Zu Ti's return to her original form. But because it's in Kunlun, it might have something to do with MY, and maybe even Shao Wan. 

Looking forward on how PB extra and the previous PB and TMOPB would connect to Lotus Steps. :)

I think Zu Ti reinstated at Kun Lun. That's what it's implying atm. Once all the Venerable lady gods come back, Dong Hua won't be alone when he deals with Three Poisons again. Tang Qi is quite an equal opportunity writer.

Lian Song had the windfall this time. He is around 90,000 years old lol.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

37 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I think Zu Ti reinstated at Kun Lun. That's what it's implying atm. Once all the Venerable lady gods come back, Dong Hua won't be alone when he deals with Three Poisons again. Tang Qi is quite an equal opportunity writer.

Lian Song had the windfall this time. He is around 90,000 years old lol.

I'm finding BGG's description of what happened in Kunlun as "incident" very curious. TQ would pull a surprise or two in LS, I can feel it! :D

Well, all the best to the Jiuchongtian rascal. He has lots of grovelling to do. At least his nephew and half father would give him some support, although the latter's help would be disguised like sweet and sour fish! :lol:

• Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm finding BGG's description of what happened in Kunlun as "incident" very curious. TQ would pull a surprise or two in LS, I can feel it! :D

Well, all the best to the Jiuchongtian rascal. He has lots of grovelling to do. At least his nephew and half father would give him some support, although the latter's help would be disguised like sweet and sour fish! :lol:

I think he's done all the grovelling because the Venerable Goddess is now staying at Yuan Ji Palace. She appears to be quite significantly injured as it has been three years since the Kun Lun incident, yet she still needs to cast a recuperation ward and seclude herself to heal. Three years is a pretty long seclusion time and then she also probably gets interrupted now and then, for example the kid who ran right into her wards and got transported to the past, and then had to deal with both parents on separate occasions who also wanted to tag along for the ride! 

I believe Dong Hua didn't poison tongue the Goddess. He respects her a lot for what she had done for humankind. And there aren't many of those Venerable ones that deserve this respect. The other one should be on her way back, his bestie, Shao Wan.

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 2

17 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I believe Dong Hua didn't poison tongue the Goddess. He respects her a lot for what she had done for humankind. And there aren't many of those Venerable ones that deserve this respect. The other one should be on her way back, his bestie, Shao Wan.

I rather think DH's selective with the poison tongue. And no, he wouldn't with Zu Ti unless it harms his family. Even when she was still Cheng'yu, DH was roasting his half son in favour of her - making LS admit he's called cad or rascal by her, or that he plans to make her his goddaughter cos LS is in love with her. That's in favour of her, isn't it, being an orphan as Cheng'yu? 

Please tell I'm not mistaken with what he meant as goddaughter, since I'm having flashbacks of Qing Cang over the 9th disciple. :sweat_smile:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I rather think DH's selective with the poison tongue. And no, he wouldn't with Zu Ti unless it harms his family. Even when she was still Cheng'yu, DH was roasting his half son in favour of her - making LS admit he's called cad or rascal by her, or that he plans to make her his goddaughter cos LS is in love with her. That's in favour of her, isn't it, being an orphan as Cheng'yu? 

Please tell I'm not mistaken with what he meant as goddaughter, since I'm having flashbacks of Qing Cang over the 9th disciple. :sweat_smile:

If he takes Cheng Yu as his goddaughter, it means Lian Song has to call him Dad. That's the gist of the joke. Well, this one is Venerable High Goddess Zu Ti hahahaha, plus she did indeed sacrifice her original immortal body for humankind. And then took forever to return to position. The way she was born is similar to Dong Hua as they both were the results of transformative birth. So they were both orphans at the start of their lives.

P.S. Fei Wei's grandson came up with such a fine excuse when Bai Gun Gun cannot enter his parent's bedchambers hahahahahaha! And yes this means I am working on Chapter 8 of outtake.

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, Ninky said:

P.S. Fei Wei's grandson came up with such a fine excuse when Bai Gun Gun cannot enter his parent's bedchambers hahahahahaha! And yes this means I am working on Chapter 8 of outtake.

Ooo, you're almost done with chapter 8!

:transforms:

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Ninky said:

If he takes Cheng Yu as his goddaughter, it means Lian Song has to call him Dad. That's the gist of the joke. Well, this one is Venerable High Goddess Zu Ti hahahaha, plus she did indeed sacrifice her original immortal body for humankind. And then took forever to return to position. The way she was born is similar to Dong Hua as they both were the results of transformative birth. So they were both orphans at the start of their lives.

Hahaha!  Poor grandson.  He has to deal with so much oddness and Dong Hua getting smitten for the first time!  Lol!!!!

Ive not read the lotus steps yet except for that 1st part about the demon/monster pagoda.  But im wondering if need to wait until after hte next volumes are out since you guys are so annoyed at Lian Song's behavior!

By the way, how do mortal detect/discover if someone is actually an immortal on a human trial?  BQ told YS's mother that when she was posing as the new teach in Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms and it didnt seem like a new concept just surprise that her son was one of those.  I saw in the timeline that it mentions someone figuring out that LS was one while on his mortal trial so I was curious.

Also in ELOD, what do you think in the costume and attire most contributed to making

Song Xuanren  seem so young, while making Shen Ye seem so old yet Dong Hua appeared neither old or young but just timeless?

10 hours ago, Ninky said:

Makes me wonder, if at family gatherings how they decide which way to refer to each other based on the really mixed up rankings?

Also is Zhe Lan's red phoenix form ever described?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Hahaha!  Poor grandson.  He has to deal with so much oddness and Dong Hua getting smitten for the first time!  Lol!!!!

Fortunately he's a quick thinker and quite the impeccable steward like grandpa Fei Wei. ^_^ Zhong Lin had to deal with Zhi He among other things as he looks after Dong Hua's needs and requirements. Also, since Feng Jiu is quite self sufficient and for sure BGG as well (due to their living at mortal realm), I don't think he had much troubles compared to when Zhi He was still around.

I saw in the timeline that it mentions someone figuring out that LS was one while on his mortal trial so I was curious.

When Lian Song went to mortal realm,  he went for a purpose and not actually for going through a mortal trial. Similar to BQ when she went on to become Yuan Zhen's master.

BQ told YS's mother that when she was posing as the new teach in Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms and it didnt seem like a new concept just surprise that her son was one of those. 

Possibly due to the concept of mortals gaining immortality from cultivation, and that since Yuan Zhen was also the Crown Prince in the mortal realm, it gives even more possibility. Emperors in ancient China were regarded as Sons of Heaven due to their enormous responsibilities and power they wield.

You can read more about it in this page: https://www.worldhistory.org/Chinese_Emperor/

Also in ELOD, what do you think in the costume and attire most contributed to making

Song Xuanren  seem so young, while making Shen Ye seem so old yet Dong Hua appeared neither old or young but just timeless?

I rather think it was more on their demeanor and postures. SXR has sunny personality and was quite informal with his inner circle, while Shen Ye after Aranya's demise was hunched, and he looks tired. Shen Ye looked so vital and sure before he lost her.

Dong Hua is timeless, because he looks so serene and very comfortable and confident with himself. His eyes looks like he had seen it all, and he also has that air of authority and restraint.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Ooo, you're almost done with chapter 8!

:transforms:

Not really,  I'm working backwards and forwards all over the place this time. But it's not a long chapter compared to 7 so should not take too long either.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

@Romulan I would suggest following the story of Lotus Step as we translate it. It is important to understand many of the concepts Tang Qi will touch on as the story progresses. Lian Song is but a small part of it.

There are many important mythical facts you need to know as time goes on. The story also has plenty of humour. There is a secondary romance in it (hint between 2 flowers) and it has the biggest humorous element in it. So my recommendation is still to read it as we list new chapters. You will also know a lot more about Zu Ti as she was when she was a God, she had several envoys that are very important to the story. Some of them have been around her for a long time even when she is mortal. 

• Like 3