[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

On 2/27/2021 at 9:15 AM, Ninky said:

Dong Hua later had to take up the void left behind and had to fight more wars after Mo Yuan. It was in those later wars that Dong Hua truly united the realms and established the current order.

It was in the later wars that he had those generals under his command. He was under Mo Yuan’s command in the 700 year war.

So first 700 year war and establishment of new era all loyal to Mo Yuan.

Subsequent wars, after getting rid of some political stuff, all are loyal to Dong Hua.

I haven't read Back to Chaos in a Dream but can I just say... I don't know if I'm amazed of how Mo Yuan and Shaowan are powerful or the fact that I am more amazed that Donghua was able to do a job of 2 high gods... or am I reading that wrong?

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 2

10 minutes ago, triplesung said:

I haven't read Back to Chaos in a Dream but can I just say... I don't know if I'm amazed of how Mo Yuan and Shaowan are powerful or the fact that I am more amazed that Donghua was able to do a job of 2 high gods... or am I reading that wrong?

Moyuan and Shaowan really are very powerful. But what happened was that essentially, 

Spoiler

Moyuan succeeded in creating a new era of peace through those 700 years of war, but then Shaowan sacrificed herself to send the humans to the mortal worlds, and Moyuan kind of gave up on the whole unifying everyone thing after she died / faded because he did all of that purely because of her, so he left.

After Moyuan leaves, that's kind of where DH "takes over." So the timeline of Back to Chaos in a Dream begins not long after Moyuan leaves, but we don't actually see DH becoming Master of the Gods in the story, that's later on. There's a ton of politics involved in the story, but really quick: DH takes the temporary position of God Master, helps the gods defeat a rebel, and then is "impeached" by the Council of Elders, after which he returns to the Holy Blue Sea to bide his time in rooting out the corruption within the gods. And then sometime after the story ends, DH eventually becomes Master of the Gods. 

So it's not really like DH did what Shaowan / Moyuan couldn't because they did actually succeed. He just sort of did it over again after everything fell apart when Moyuan left. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 3

1 hour ago, triplesung said:

He can indeed do the job of 2 ordinary high gods. But there are several exceptions to what he is able to do. Mo Yuan is his equal in terms of fighting, this was clearly shown in the outtake. Here's a quote from ELOD Blog's Chapter 2 if it helps:

However, when it came to martial strength, the one who could fight with Mo Yuan was not Shao Wan, but the person who did not create enough trouble to warrant his appearance in the school tabloids, Lord Dong Hua.

And Mo Yuan is implied to be an excellent strategist. How else can you unite such a war in just a mere 700 years. And he knew governance was important but he chose to neglect it. So I would see in this respect, DH and MY are equals. This line implies that Mo Yuan CHOSE to neglect the governing aspect and instead focused on military might so that he could attain unity of the realms in a much shorter time as he had no time to lose. This tells me he knew the consequences.

“To attain the goal of uniting Heaven and Earth within seven hundred years, Mo Yuan had never once been careless on the battlefield, but he was forced to neglect governance. If this went on, it was a matter of time before problems arose. In the last few years, there were treacherous people among the God race, all manner of vermin were within. If I am always there, how would I be able to reveal their true colours?”

The reason why he had NO time to lose is this:

“The reason Mo Yuan stepped onto the road toward unifying the five races was to prevent Shao Wan from opening the Wakagi door and sacrificing herself for the human race. But the will of Heaven could not be defied, and the Wakagi door was eventually opened. Shao Wan sacrificed herself in the nirvana fire pyre and faded. Everything he aspired for no longer held any meaning, so naturally, he would not have stayed. A person whose heart had turned to dust :bawling: was able to wait till matters of the four races were on track before leaving was already very considerate. Yet, all of you still complained that he did not name a successor before he left?”

*Note all my quotes are from our translation on the ELOD blog.

I could only just imagine the pain when the woman he loved "died". But not to worry, we will get to read more about this wonderful woman who had sacrificed herself for us mere mortals when she returns. Tang Qi used the term Nie Pen (buddhist - short explanation - divine pyre). There is a reason for this. A phoenix is able to reborn themselves in fire. In mythology, a phoenix is able to from time to time burn themselves to ashes and then from the ashes they can be reborn. 

It was her destiny to do this for humankind. There was just no way to prevent it, although Mo Yuan did try his best.

Tang Qi leaves such hints but Bodhi Fate is still a while away. Now my heart can't wait!

The only person that is Dong Hua's match is actually Mo Yuan. And Tang Qi has mentioned this many times. Mo Yuan got out of the picture, nursing his broken heart, that's how Dong Hua filled his void and became the Master of Heaven and Earth. He had to. He was just weeding the garden first, so to speak. 

As for the other gods that can do what he cannot then here's a mini list:

Zu Ti - Manipulate time and space.

Shao Wan - White Phoenix Nirvana Fire. But more will be revealed down the track.

Xie Ming - we don't know what yet but Tang Qi said what she can do will be revealed later but its only something only she can do.

Hope the above helps !

7 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Oh, I didn't know that! I presumed anyone from the God race can become a High God if one cultivates long and hard enough...

Nope only a small number become High Gods. But Qing Qiu is an exception. The entire family except for A Li and Feng Jiu are all high gods. The last two will eventually become High Immortals first at around 50,000 to 70,000 of age and then to High God at around 120,000 to 150,000 years of age.

So eventually Feng Jiu will become a High God, finally matching her up with Dong Hua in this respect. High Gods carry an aura that's different from the rest. The ancient ones like Dong Hua have an even more distinct aura. Dong Hua's aura was described by Ye Qing Ti in the book. He said that although Dong Hua looks to be around his age, in his early twenties but there is "ancient rich" aura around him. That's perhaps why people always call him "that old man". I mean that guy looks younger than me but is way older!

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3

13 minutes ago, Ninky said:

The only person that is Dong Hua's match is actually Mo Yuan. And Tang Qi has mentioned this many times. Mo Yuan got out of the picture, nursing his broken heart, that's how Dong Hua filled his void and became the Master of Heaven and Earth. He had to. He was just weeding the garden first, so to speak. 

As for the other gods that can do what he cannot then here's a mini list:

Zu Ti - Manipulate time and space.

Shao Wan - White Phoenix Nirvana Fire. But more will be revealed down the track.

Xie Ming - we don't know what yet but Tang Qi said what she can do will be revealed later but its only something only she can do.

Hope the above helps !

Thanks for the explanation. 

It seems I have underestimated both MoYuan and DongHua in my head (especially DongHua). 

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Moyuan and Shaowan really are very powerful. But what happened was that essentially, 

Hide contents

So it's not really like DH did what Shaowan / Moyuan couldn't because they did actually succeed. He just sort of did it over again after everything fell apart when Moyuan left. 

This is why I got speechless. It made me realize that DongHua was able to do it. I don't know why I thought he couldn't. I don't think I was able to understand all of their powers in general. Whoops. 

• Blob 2

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

I love that there are portions in earlier 3L3W books that are hints in the upcoming books. :glee:

She already humoured her fans by totally spoiling the fact the Cheng Yu is none other than Light Goddess, Zu Ti.

I, like Zhe Yan, enjoyed how flabbergasted Bai Gun Gun made Dong Hua with the details of his much younger wife, HAHAHAHA!

That boy is so intelligent. He definitely inherited his Father's high IQ. He was also well raised with excellent refined manners. Remember he is only the size of a three year old!

As you can see, since I brought that up, I am translating Chapter Three right now!

1 hour ago, triplesung said:

Thanks for the explanation. 

It seems I have underestimated both MoYuan and DongHua in my head (especially DongHua). 

This is why I got speechless. It made me realize that DongHua was able to do it. I don't know why I thought he couldn't. I don't think I was able to understand all of their powers in general. Whoops. 

You know, there was one funny thing I read from one of Tang Qi's fans who asked her this question in her Wechat channel.

The reader asked Tang Qi, say if Feng Jiu was to turn herself into a tree, instead of a hankerchief, would he still have taken her with him? 

The answer from Tang Qi was:

He would have found a way to do so, he is capable of doing anything and everything to get what he wants. In this case, he meant to tease Feng Jiu! HAHAHAH!

So do not ever underestimate Dong Hua! 

:naughty:

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Ninky said:

The reader asked Tang Qi, say if Feng Jiu was to turn herself into a tree, instead of a hankerchief, would he still have taken her with him? 

LMAO, he'll just shamelessly say to anyone who asks that he lost a tree some days ago, and found it again as he uproots it, takes into his bedroom, and sleeps with it in his bed. :naughty:

Feng Jiu has turned into a handkerchief, but he knew who she was. After years of fending off bed climbers, for Feng Jiu he did the opposite. :joy:

• LOL 6

Hi from an avid lurker since Jan of 2020! I discovered this page more than a year ago and have immensely enjoyed reading all the posts about ELOD. Until now, I still cannot move on from this beloved couple (mostly DHDJ )! 

My heart has been so full these past several days due to the new released chapters from Back to Chaos in a Dream! Thank you so very much @UnluckyWhiteCatand @Ninkyfor your translations. I count the hours until I can read the chapters and trust that I will read both translations 100x (not an exaggeration in any way). I feel so lucky to have discovered this forum where I can continue my love for ELOD. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Megan said:

I wish Feng Jiu and Gun Gun could see the fox king and queen in the past. Actually why wouldn’t Zhe Yan tell them about it?

@Megan She did in fact return to Qing Qiu in the outtake. She hid herself while there and saw her grandfather and grandmother :D. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ninky said:

She did in fact return to Qing Qiu in the outtake. She hid herself while there and saw her grandfather and grandmother :D. 

If Bai Yi was able to see them, he might faint when he sees the silver hair and who BGG resembles! :lol: Noticed though that FJ and BGG were happy enough keeping to themselves.

55 minutes ago, Megan said:

I wish Feng Jiu and Gun Gun could see the fox king and queen in the past.

They saw them from afar when FJ brought BGG to Qing Qiu. Maybe they didn't want to be seen too, because it would take so much explanations. 

45 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

If Bai Yi was able to see them, he might faint when he sees the silver hair and who BGG resembles! :lol: Noticed though that FJ and BGG were happy enough keeping to themselves.

They saw them from afar when FJ brought BGG to Qing Qiu. Maybe they didn't want to be seen too, because it would take so much explanations. 

Bai Gun Gun is damn cute. There was a conversation shortly after (Chapter 4) they both had already encountered Di Jun individually (chapter 3 & 4) where he asked his mother if his dad was really this difficult to deal with before they got married. HAHAHAHAHA!  Then Feng Jiu boosted that although he was really really that difficult, she still managed to get tame him and claim him as hers, hahahaha.

It really sounded like 2 adults talking. Instead of a Mother and her son. And also Dong Hua did recognise that his son resembled himself. So in the end he had to concede he is his father, and not only that, he called Bai Gun Gun a beautiful child, thereby shamelessly implying that he is good looking.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Wiggle 3

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

@Megan She did in fact return to Qing Qiu in the outtake. She hid herself while there and saw her grandfather and grandmother :D. 

I know. I saw it and was wondering why she didn’t introduce herself.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

And just a reminder because I'm pretty sure no one really reads disclaimers, but I do update my work pretty continuously whenever I find a better way to phrase something or catch an error, so even if I post my "final" work now, it could easily change even the next day.

@UnluckyWhiteCatI do read your disclaimers :) as well as all notes etc. Already read the blog several times.

Thank you so much for new chapter. It is funny. 

6 hours ago, Ninky said:

She already humoured her fans by totally spoiling the fact the Cheng Yu is none other than Light Goddess, Zu Ti.

I, like Zhe Yan, enjoyed how flabbergasted Bai Gun Gun made Dong Hua with the details of his much younger wife, HAHAHAHA!

That boy is so intelligent. He definitely inherited his Father's high IQ. He was also well raised with excellent refined manners. Remember he is only the size of a three year old!

As you can see, since I brought that up, I am translating Chapter Three right now!

You know, there was one funny thing I read from one of Tang Qi's fans who asked her this question in her Wechat channel.

The answer from Tang Qi was:

He would have found a way to do so, he is capable of doing anything and everything to get what he wants. In this case, he meant to tease Feng Jiu! HAHAHAH!

So do not ever underestimate Dong Hua! 

:naughty:

These are hilarious. You sum up so well.

5 hours ago, lilfragileheart said:

My heart has been so full these past several days due to the new released chapters from Back to Chaos in a Dream! Thank you so very much @UnluckyWhiteCatand @Ninkyfor your translations. I count the hours until I can read the chapters and trust that I will read both translations 100x (not an exaggeration in any way). I feel so lucky to have discovered this forum where I can continue my love for ELOD. 

So do I!

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, Megan said:

I know. I saw it and was wondering why she didn’t introduce herself.

Hmm, well off the top of my head, I would think that this is probably because if she just walked up to them and was like "Heyyy, I'm you're granddaughter from 260,000 years in the future!", as funny as it might be for us, they'd realistically probably think that she was insane. :lol:

8 hours ago, Pesca said:

@UnluckyWhiteCatI do read your disclaimers :) as well as all notes etc. Already read the blog several times.

Thank you so much for new chapter. It is funny.

Well then, you're one of... ahem... nine people... who read the disclaimer. LOL. Everyone else just went straight to the text. :D

• Sad 1
  • Wiggle 2

43 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Hmm, well off the top of my head, I would think that this is probably because if she just walked up to them and was like "Heyyy, I'm you're granddaughter from 260,000 years in the future!", as funny as it might be for us, they'd realistically probably think that she was insane. :lol:

Well then, you're one of... ahem... nine people... who read the disclaimer. LOL. Everyone else just went straight to the text. :D

44 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

10 people now!

Besides, why do that and have them know all the stuff in advance? 

Better to be enjoy oneself without any of the rules or responsibilities that normally she would need to follow. 

:)

• Wiggle 2

33 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Haha guilty for the first reading! I do go back and read the disclaimer and read the chapter a few times. 

Spoiler

I love reading DH's POV. It's rather sweet how he was put off by FJ's age but as soon as he meets her, that no longer is an issue. 

DH is so helpless against her whim. 

FJ is just as sweet and sensible as ever. I absolutely love how she gets on her day with BGG and gives just enough attention to DH to let him know she cares. There is no in his face and give me attention type of behaviour. No wonder DH keeps falling in love with FJ. 

• Wiggle 2
  • Blob 1

Jinjin, this is Dihou's way of sleeping with Dijun. That's why she said he's alright. :Megalol:

Spoiler

Next to him, she sometimes slept straight, sometimes spread eagle, then finally rolled back into his arms. Her rolling had caused her sleeping clothes to become disheveled. Dijun closed his eyes and helped her fix her collar. Just as her collar was tightly closed, her right leg misbehaved, moving over his waist. Her entire calf ever so casually stretched out from beneath the snow-white sleeping clothes, over his waist. Seeing how quietly and elegantly she walked, her way of sleeping was really an eye-opener. (Ch4 PB Back to Chaos)

Seriously, how can she sleep like this and  not once got thrown out? :sweat_smile:

• LOL 5

54 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Jinjin, this is Dihou's way of sleeping with Dijun. That's why she said he's alright. :Megalol:

Hide contents

Next to him, she sometimes slept straight, sometimes spread eagle, then finally rolled back into his arms. Her rolling had caused her sleeping clothes to become disheveled. Dijun closed his eyes and helped her fix her collar. Just as her collar was tightly closed, her right leg misbehaved, moving over his waist. Her entire calf ever so casually stretched out from beneath the snow-white sleeping clothes, over his waist. Seeing how quietly and elegantly she walked, her way of sleeping was really an eye-opener. (Ch4 PB Back to Chaos)

Seriously, how can she sleep like this and  not once got thrown out? :sweat_smile:

I don’t think she can toss and turn once she becomes a pillow.

• Wiggle 3
  • Blob 1