[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

@UnluckyWhiteCat I'm in page 66. Hehe he. She's just tried to escape DH. So I'm about to reach the 2nd duel of DH-XY. Or should that be 3rd, since DH had beaten up XY after leaving wicked lotus realm, after baby fox was left in Tai Chen? :D I'm sure XY didn't let himself get beaten without a fight, LOL!

I really like the footnotes, and the additional details big or small. :wub:

Hahaha, when I can, I'll try to learn Mandarin. I hope I can pick it up fast enough as I could with Arabic, for more reading.

No, I'm not surprised they also mouth off like us mortals. Perhaps not always as blatantly crude as the English equivalents, or so rude there's no translation to give justice to it, but curses or insults nonetheless. The last example is the very proper SMY, right? LMAO!

Thanks again so much, and any other annotated copies you make, please always include me in your list. :)

• Like 1

@UnluckyWhiteCat

Hmm, this "joke" of DH and footnote 83.

"You really must have been terrified, your ears are  showing .” A-PB1, p85.

From English By Day, "ears are showing through" could mean: 

8. To Be Out On Your Ear

Meaning: to be forced to leave a situation. Usually a job, one’s home, etc.

Use In A Sentence: After 15 years of working for the same company, I am out on my ear because the new manager thinks I am too old.

DH is amused that FJ on her own transformed back from being a silk handkerchief to her human form due to the terror of being in the thick of a duel (tied to Cang'he sword hilt of all things, tsk).

Or also a combination of these two, and can even include #8:

44. To Prick Up One’s Ear

Meaning: to suddenly pay close attention to what is happening or what is being said.

Use In A Sentence: When Marty heard his name in the hallway, he pricked up his ears.

45. To Have Big Ears

Meaning: to eavesdrop.

Use In A Sentence: Be careful what you say in the office. Some people have big ears.

FJ was not responding to anything that DH says to bait her (turning into handkerchief is her hobby; wiping rag for Cang'he) into revealing herself. As if she is deaf. She is now, however, so afraid, that she is now attentive, and listening in to what was being said between DH and XY. So much so that she transformed back, and her "pricked up" ears "getting big" they show, as she witnesses the duel between the ancient legendary warrior and the pretty demon lord. ^_^

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

And does anybody wish we could have seen Dong Hua reject Jiheng again? Maybe they could have cut Meng Shao’s scenes a little shorter and inserted that scene.

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

@UnluckyWhiteCat

Hmm, this "joke" of DH and footnote 83.

"You really must have been terrified, your ears are  showing .” A-PB1, p85.

From English By Day, "ears are showing through" could mean: 

8. To Be Out On Your Ear

Meaning: to be forced to leave a situation. Usually a job, one’s home, etc.

Use In A Sentence: After 15 years of working for the same company, I am out on my ear because the new manager thinks I am too old.

DH is amused that FJ on her own transformed back from being a silk handkerchief to her human form due to the terror of being in the thick of a duel (tied to Cang'he sword hilt of all things, tsk).

Or also a combination of these two, and can even include #8:

44. To Prick Up One’s Ear

Meaning: to suddenly pay close attention to what is happening or what is being said.

Use In A Sentence: When Marty heard his name in the hallway, he pricked up his ears.

45. To Have Big Ears

Meaning: to eavesdrop.

Use In A Sentence: Be careful what you say in the office. Some people have big ears.

FJ was not responding to anything that DH says to bait her (turning into handkerchief is her hobby; wiping rag for Cang'he) into revealing herself. As if she is deaf. She is now, however, so afraid, that she is now attentive, and listening in to what was being said between DH and XY. So much so that she transformed back, and her "pricked up" ears "getting big" they show, as she witnesses the duel between the ancient legendary warrior and the pretty demon lord. ^_^

I thought it meant her fox ears were showing. She was so scared she lost control of her appearance

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

Also, something just occured to me, but was there some sort of rumor that after playing Feng Jiu twice, Dilireba said she wanted to play a different character personality or something? Seems sad she didn’t enjoy acting as Feng Jiu.

Btw, while I am happy how Dong Hua even redecorates to please Feng Jiu, I do wonder why he adds pink curtains. The flowers provide refreshment if spirits when working on the sword box. But why add pink curtains? I don’t get it.

10 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Also, I think I'm actually going to put them into my own copy with all the other changes / annotations I made, so if anyone wants it, pm me cause I don't want to spam anyone with more emails, but I definitely won't be done with it for at least another six months or so though, so if you don't mind receiving an email from me six months in the future, I'll be happy to send it over. :)

Would you please send it to me as well? I'd love to read it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megan said:

And does anybody wish we could have seen Dong Hua reject Jiheng again? Maybe they could have cut Meng Shao’s scenes a little shorter and inserted that scene.

I thought it meant her fox ears were showing. She was so scared she lost control of her appearance

The script was changed here though when Biyiniao and Night Owl clans must be evacuated, such that pond scene of JH asking to be taken with them so that she can be a Tai Chen maid is nixed. And though it would be gratifying to see that played out, I personally prefer the closure of Meng Shao. 

About the ears, yeah, that too is a possiblity, that her fox ears may have come out. FJ's usual drama POV partial transformation though are her nine tails billowing out when she's excited or happy. The "ears showing" can also be attributed to what was going on in A-PB1, p84^_^

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Also, something just occured to me, but was there some sort of rumor that after playing Feng Jiu twice, Dilireba said she wanted to play a different character personality or something? Seems sad she didn’t enjoy acting as Feng Jiu.

An actress worth her salt would always want to have roles that can push her acting prowess. Reba may be speaking of roles she haven't had yet. It's a little difficult for her actually, IIRC a writeup of her, since her features aren't of the usual Chinese majority (she looks Levantine, due to her Uighur lineage).  

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Btw, while I am happy how Dong Hua even redecorates to please Feng Jiu, I do wonder why he adds pink curtains. The flowers provide refreshment if spirits when working on the sword box. But why add pink curtains? I don’t get it.

The pink curtains are likely for feminine touch since Tai Chen is mostly white and gold. Or DH is a bit sentimental that he first saw the Aranya her in the dream arc in pink. :)

17 minutes ago, Megan said:

I don’t think I will ever fully understand why Dong Hua wants to see Feng Jiu’s baby pictures. Ye Hua isn’t even in this episode...

Natural curiosity of how FJ looked as a baby and a little girl...happens too in the real world. It's to see how the person changed as they grew.

• Like 3

I adore the martial arts scene, though I find it curious that Feng Jiu can only beat them blindfolded.... for the first half, they were still 10 men.

23 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

An actress worth her salt would always want to have roles that can push her acting prowess. Reba may be speaking of roles she haven't had yet. It's a little difficult for her actually, IIRC a writeup of her, since her features aren't of the usual Chinese majority (she looks Levantine, due to her Uighur lineage). 

I just find it sad she didn’t want to play Feng Jiu again. It sounds like she didn’t enjoy it. I know, I know. Actors need to learn to play different types of characters. Otherwise they will be stuck playing the same types of roles over and over again.

to be honest, when I first saw Dilireba as Feng Jiu in eternal love, I thought she looked Chinese. To be fair, she does look a bit Asian since Ugyhurs have a mixed heritage, right? Then again, I don’t really know much about the Mediterranean...

IICR? What does that mean?

I like episode 51. The romance and fights are wonderful. I am sad about the biyiniaos though, despite how I feel they owe Aranya, they didn’t deserve to die. Poor Meng Shao. He would have been a good king. A bit naive, but kind and loyal.

does anyone find it confusing that Bai Zhen and Zhe Yan know Feng Jiu is in a relationship with Dong Hua and are still surprised that they are married?

and why is Lian Song given a seat of honor above the fox king, and allowed to remain seating while everyone else stands up? Friendship with Dong Hua?

And about Feng Jiu’s swearing...why do I feel like Dong Hua admires this trait because who would dare swear in his presence? Who would dare threaten to break him like a twig? Who dares call him a weirdo?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Megan said:

I adore the martial arts scene, though I find it curious that Feng Jiu can only beat them blindfolded.... for the first half, they were still 10 men.

Not distracted anymore. Actually, when you have to rely on other senses when sight isn't there, you'll be amazed on how much can you hear or notice, compared to when you can see.

2 hours ago, Megan said:

I just find it sad she didn’t want to play Feng Jiu again. It sounds like she didn’t enjoy it. I know, I know. Actors need to learn to play different types of characters. Otherwise they will be stuck playing the same types of roles over and over again.

to be honest, when I first saw Dilireba as Feng Jiu in eternal love, I thought she looked Chinese. To be fair, she does look a bit Asian since Ugyhurs have a mixed heritage, right? Then again, I don’t really know much about the Mediterranean...

IICR? What does that mean?

Uighurs in China would likely be mostly mixed heritage now given how many centuries passed that they settled there. 

The Levantines are still Asians, and Turkey straddles two continents. I live in Middle East, so her features are commonly seen here and familiar for me. 

As for the role FJ, she could have been affected with the preproduction brouhaha, or shooting it has been hard. That's her view and how she felt that time she was asked about playing FJ. Anyhow, if Lotus Steps gets adapted too for drama, the spotlight will not be as much as FJ role had for Pillow Book, for whoever will play the part. It will be to Cheng Yu. If the present Cheng Yu actress doesn't reprise the role, I kinda wish Li Qin does it.

IIRC - If I remember correctly 

2 hours ago, Megan said:

does anyone find it confusing that Bai Zhen and Zhe Yan know Feng Jiu is in a relationship with Dong Hua and are still surprised that they are married?

They could have guessed they are in a relationship as DH the recluse came to Bincang ceremony of FJ, but not the registered officially married status. 

2 hours ago, Megan said:

and why is Lian Song given a seat of honor above the fox king, and allowed to remain seating while everyone else stands up? Friendship with Dong Hua?

He also has high status as 3rd Prince of Jiuchongtian, he's also the water god. 

2 hours ago, Megan said:

And about Feng Jiu’s swearing...why do I feel like Dong Hua admires this trait because who would dare swear in his presence? Who would dare threaten to break him like a twig? Who dares call him a weirdo?

No one would call him that or tell him that to his face. She also refuses his robes, derides him over Zhi He in public, and drunkenly informs him he's bad. ;) She does a lot of first to him, no wonder he's interested.

Oh, XY is also bold enough. Hahaha!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Hahaha, when I can, I'll try to learn Mandarin. I hope I can pick it up fast enough as I could with Arabic, for more reading.

No, I'm not surprised they also mouth off like us mortals. Perhaps not always as blatantly crude as the English equivalents, or so rude there's no translation to give justice to it, but curses or insults nonetheless. The last example is the very proper SMY, right? LMAO!

Ugh, good luck learning! I did it for ten years starting when I was like four and I still have problems sometimes. Memorizing all the characters is just painful.:criesariver: Arabic? I can't even imagine having to learn another set of alphabets for a whole new language. :crazy: 

Yes it was SMY, he also happens to (inwardly) call DH an old man a lot:joy:

7 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

4 hours ago, Megan said:

I was also thinking that she was really scared and her actual fox ears were showing, but I never really considered the idea that it was because she wasn't responding to DH. I don't really know for sure, but I do feel like either could be a reasonable explanation though. Except, I think when she turned from a handkerchief back into her human form, it was because DH forced her to turn back, not because she was scared. 

3 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Would you please send it to me as well? I'd love to read it!

I'd be happy to, pm me with your email!

2 hours ago, Megan said:

Oooh actually, totally off topic, but I think I heard somewhere that Maggie Huang, the actress that played Su Jin in TMoPB was actually offered the role of FJ first, but she decided she wanted to take on Su Jin's role instead (don't quote me on this, I'm not sure where I saw it). But if that was the case and she took it, we could have wound up with a very different FJ instead. :open_mouth:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

I can't even imagine having to learn another set of alphabets for a whole new language. :crazy: 

And reading right to left. :sweatingbullets:

Yes it was SMY, he also happens to (inwardly) call DH an old man a lot

What he was made to do can make anyone tear off their hair, nyahahaha! While DH is ... :P Right, he had to go fight a water serpent afterwards for three days to release pent-up frustrations. 

Spoiler

Will I not get banned if I write it here what exactly DH was feeling:lol:

I also sort of think FJ was forced back to her human form, but I kinda also think that even when she asks DH that he even knows how to do that to her, she did instinctively on her own due to fright. 

Oooh actually, totally off topic, but I think I heard somewhere that Maggie Huang, the actress that played Su Jin in TMoPB was actually offered the role of FJ first, but she decided she wanted to take on Su Jin's role instead (don't quote me on this, I'm not sure where I saw it). But if that was the case and she took it, we could have wound up with a very different FJ instead

I've read that too, I think somewhere in this thread some months ago. I liked Maggie Huang in Princess Agents, and she can also do the cutesy like Dilraba. In Ep28 TMOPB, when FJ impersonated Su Jin to steal the lamp, she was flawless acting like childish FJ would do, even the mannerisms and gestures.

Somehow, I kinda feel DH will not be played by Vengo, if Reba wasn't FJ. Vengo was supposed to be Zhe Yan, and Zhe Yan actor would have been DH...but director had good eye and insight to switch their roles. ^_^

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I've read that too, I think somewhere in this thread some months ago. I liked Maggie Huang in Princess Agents, and she can also do the cutesy like Dilraba. In Ep28 TMOPB, when FJ impersonated Su Jin to steal the lamp, she was flawless acting like childish FJ would do, even the mannerisms and gestures.

Somehow, I kinda feel DH will not be played by Vengo, if Reba wasn't FJ. Vengo was supposed to be Zhe Yan, and Zhe Yan actor would have been DH...but director had good eye and insight to switch their roles. ^_^

I can't imagine anyone else as FJ or DH. Good point regarding Vengo and Reba. The director probably saw the natural chemistry between them, and decided to give Vengo a chance. The role DH was definitely the break he needed to take his acting career to another level.

8 hours ago, Megan said:

It seems like DH likes to be around individuals that test boundaries and playful, yet have good morals such as Shao Wan and Lian Song. Going by his past preference in friendship, FJ fits his criteria.

10 hours ago, Megan said:

I think in her early acting career, Dilireba was type cast to naïve characters. Many of her roles included her chasing after the ML, which many viewers may view FJ similar to her previous roles. Dilireba played FJ so well, I noticed some viewers said they dislike watching her, mainly because they find her character's annoying. Which is a shame. 

Character's such as FJ may be considered the standard FL type in Idol Dramas, which is usually aimed at younger audience. Dilireba is getting older, so she probably want to expand her acting and try more 'serious' roles in the future, so she isn't type cast. I wouldn't say she didn't enjoy acting as FJ. I think I read somewhere, Dilireba reported 2018, this is when she filmed ELOD, was one of her happiest times.

DH added pink curtains, because FJ may find it pleasing and feel more at home. FJ herself, tend to wear more pinkish colours. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

20 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

can't imagine anyone else as FJ or DH. Good point regarding Vengo and Reba. The director probably saw the natural chemistry between them, and decided to give Vengo a chance. The role DH was definitely the break he needed to take his acting career to another level.

If I'm the casting person and looks would count apart from acting talent to be DH, Vengo fits the bill of the ancient warrior who led the wars and the Emperor for all realms from his height alone. :lol:

I'm glad more rational minds prevailed on casting for ELOD roles. 

• Love 1

16 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

He also has high status as 3rd Prince of Jiuchongtian, he's also the water god. 

Still, as Bai Zhi and his family are high gods and emperors, they still outrank Lian Song. The dude is totally making use of his friendship with Dong Hua.

hmm...after the wedding, who do you think will have the better seat? Dong Hua or his in-law? Remember Dong Hua will totally address them as his elders. I have a feeling Zhe Yan will take advantage of this. Ye Hua, not so much.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Still, as Bai Zhi and his family are high gods and emperors, they still outrank Lian Song. The dude is totally making use of his friendship with Dong Hua.

Lian Song is the Water Lord of the Four Seas, in charge of all the waters in the eight realms, apart from being the 3rd Prince of Jiuchongtian. He's not by any means lesser than most of the Qing Qiu royalties and high gods, except for Bai Zhi and Fox Queen.

The friendship with DH is mutual and not one-sided. 

1 hour ago, Megan said:

hmm...after the wedding, who do you think will have the better seat? Dong Hua or his in-law? Remember Dong Hua will totally address them as his elders. I have a feeling Zhe Yan will take advantage of this. Ye Hua, not so much.

Wherever he sits DH won't really care so long that FJ is beside him. Neither will addressing them as his elders bother him. DH already knew all that when he married FJ. 

Same only with the Bai family, they didn't fuss that Bai Qian, an Empress, married the lower-ranked Crown Prince Ye Hua.

Zhe Yan can always try to take advantage of his old classmate...nothing to worry with that, given how crafty and shameless DH himself. YH and the rest would not for sure.

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

The friendship with DH is mutual and not one-sided. 

I didn’t mean to imply that it was a one sided relationship. 
meanwhile I realized forgot to add in my commentary of the episode, but does anybody else wish that there were cameos of Cang Yi and Zhihe at the ceremony. I want them there for 2 different reasons. I want to see Cang Yi leading the cheer for Feng Jiu. And I want to see Zhihe’s face when Feng Jiu wins Bai Zhi’s challenge and when Dong Hua is her husband.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 6:04 PM, MayanEcho said:

Wherever he sits DH won't really care so long that FJ is beside him.

I don’t why but I love this line and am reminded of how Dong Hua gestured Feng Jiu to sit next to him at the restaurant. He just wants to be close to her. Frankly I’m surprised Jiheng hasn’t tried to occupy that seat given how bold she was before.

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:33 PM, Megan said:

I didn’t mean to imply that it was a one sided relationship. 
meanwhile I realized forgot to add in my commentary of the episode, but does anybody else wish that there were cameos of Cang Yi and Zhihe at the ceremony. I want them there for 2 different reasons. I want to see Cang Yi leading the cheer for Feng Jiu. And I want to see Zhihe’s face when Feng Jiu wins Bai Zhi’s challenge and when Dong Hua is her husband.

Didn't think of it that way until you mentioned it. ^_^

I wish there were more attendees too, and better stage/platform, though I like the stairs she was climbing and the archway. The way FJ fought the other fairies was choreographed well, and the BGM used is the perfect fit for her victory when she passed through. Yeah, cameos for Cang'yi, Zhi He, and even Zhi Yue would have been welcome additions. Si Ming and Cheng Yu should have been there too. 

32 minutes ago, Megan said:

I don’t why but I love this line and am reminded of how Dong Hua gestured Feng Jiu to sit next to him at the restaurant. He just wants to be close to her. Frankly I’m surprised Jiheng hasn’t tried to occupy that seat given how bold she was before.

DH wants her near to him. ^_^

JH may not have sat there, but she was exceptionally stellar with her spectacle. And it's not being snobbish, but as the court musician, she displayed very crass behaviour to everyone in the banquet, who all outrank her (she's an expelled princess).

Not even Ali went between DH and FJ, and they're cousins, he's a kid and can be excused if he did. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I wish there were more attendees too, and better stage/platform, though I like the stairs she was climbing and the archway. The way FJ fought the other fairies was choreographed well, and the BGM used is the perfect fit for her victory when she passed through. Yeah, cameos for Cang'yi, Zhi He, and even Zhi Yue would have been welcome additions. Si Ming and Cheng Yu should have been there too. 

I agree... the way it was filmed and the way it was depicted in the novel were vastly different. In the novel it was a grant event, while in the drama- even though it's importance is mentioned- I didn't get the same feeling due to the relatively few attendees.

However, DH trolling Nie Chuyin makes up for it all. :D 

6 hours ago, Megan said:

Same here. From my memory it looked like a "Don't you dare sit anywhere else but next to me" look. :lol: 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2