[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

25 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Vengo did such an amazing job! So much was in the eyes, the smile... just briliant. Re-watching many scenes I start to notice and appreciate it more and more.

He really studied well his role as DH. :)

Hmm, some love for Miao Luo, hahaha! She's beautiful. 

Ei7-pw4VkAEBeTf?format=jpg&name=medium

And no hide and seek games with this deity. Hahaha!

Ejk3qOZU4AIcduH?format=jpg&name=large

Ejk3qZvU4AEp0SR?format=jpg&name=large

Photo credits: @Dongjiuli

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

3 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

That smile... so so dangerous. A smile only FJ and BGG can actually enjoy without fear... others should run for the hills! :D 

Gun Gun: Father, can I sleep with mother to night?

Dong Hua smiles, to Gun Gun’s relief.

that night, Gun Gun found his bed missing. Instead there was a kid version of a camping bag.

Ali: let’s go count the stars!

Gun Gun: ....

• LOL 3

13 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Isn't nine the auspicious number for the Chinese? 

You can check an explanation about authors' preference of nine heavens and its significance from here.

Read the link. While it explains why nine is such a favoured number, it doesn’t explain why people mention 30+ layers

10 minutes ago, Megan said:

Read the link. While it explains why nine is such a favoured number, it doesn’t explain why people mention 30+ layers

Which means a more in-depth, literary or cultural research assignment for you to do. :)

• Like 1

Remembering the comics, there is a question I want to ask.

if Dong Hua wants Feng Jiu to develop on her own instead of using him as an easy way to get things done, why does he mimic her handwriting to do her homework?

19 minutes ago, Megan said:

Just after Feng Jiu bought DH a fox mask, she apologized for not recognising him. I can’t identify his reaction. Anybody got a clue plz?

IMO his reaction was understanding and maybe a little jealous when she said "At that time, I mistook you as Su Moye. And told you a lot of things." He had a smile knowing that Feng Jiu realize Xize was DH. His reaction probably is 'is okay although you mistaken me as Su Moye and make me jealous since you spent a lot of time with him and not me. But at least we spent that moment of time together' kind of smile. DH is kinda understanding that the night was dark and it was hard to see and how Su Moye dress as him and that FJ would have mistaken Dijun for Su Moye. And on top of that FJ didn't have her memory at that time. Dijun's happy reaction when she bought him a fox mask to make him happy and her way of expressing her love to him. FJ finally have her memory back. All the misunderstanding is being clear up and that they are free to love each other. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megan said:

if Dong Hua wants Feng Jiu to develop on her own instead of using him as an easy way to get things done, why does he mimic her handwriting to do her homework?

Hmm DH is tactical and practical... my bet it's for selfish reasons ^_^

• Naughty 3

8 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Hmm DH is tactical and practical... my bet it's for selfish reasons ^_^

He doesn’t want Feng Jiu burning the midnight oil studying? Either he wants to do some nighttime activities or he wants his wife (pillow) beside him when he sleeps?

Finished episode 44.

liked it until the end.

the courtship was adorable.

but I did resent how Feng Jiu wanted to live in a dream out of fear that Dong Hua would leave her in the real world. Have some standards FJ! If he doesn’t really love you, then don’t live in a mock relationship. You deserve better than that. It just reminds me of Bella in New Moon, how she was determined to follow Edward as an immortal even if he didn’t want her to. Learn to let your crush go! If they love you, they’ll come back. But don’t force them into a relationship they don’t want.

of course I know Dong Hua loves, Feng Jiu. I’m just critiquing Feng Jiu’s désire to stay in the dream.

• Naughty 1

25 minutes ago, Megan said:

He doesn’t want Feng Jiu burning the midnight oil studying? Either he wants to do some nighttime activities or he wants his wife (pillow) beside him when he sleeps?

As he himself experienced growing up, not all things are learned in school and from books. As a student, he's the sleeping in the class kind himself. :D

but I did resent how Feng Jiu wanted to live in a dream out of fear that Dong Hua would leave her in the real world. Have some standards FJ! If he doesn’t really love you, then don’t live in a mock relationship.

The POV of FJ is that they're more free together as they are a couple in the dream realm. There's no Ji Heng, no other people or obligations that DH has to choose over or leave her for.

The relationship isn't a sham though even if they're playing a couple as Xi Ze and Aranya. 

DH was right when he told her that even Shen Ye will have to face the reality sooner, that not even her efforts to help him will get what he truly wants since Aranya can not return.

Learn to let your crush go! If they love you, they’ll come back. But don’t force them into a relationship they don’t want.

She did let go after mortal realm trial. ^_^ Never at any point FJ forced DH to be in a relationship with her. Everything is organic, from baby fox to dream arc. It was DH who did the chasing after they met as who they are.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

@SilverDawn totally agree with you about Vengo's acting. I wish he got rewarded for his roles in ELOD. He made alot of micro facial expressions and subtle body language, that if you didn't pay attention it is easy to miss. Both Vengo and Reba made DongFeng's love believable because of the natural body language when they are together. 

6 hours ago, Megan said:

I think its different type of learning and independence DH want FH to cultivate. School base learning is often rote learning and have less impact on FH's ability to defend herself against danger. 

Whereas DH wants FJ cultivate survival skills, so she can keep herself safe when he isn't around to save her from danger.

3 hours ago, Megan said:

I did resent how Feng Jiu wanted to live in a dream out of fear that Dong Hua would leave her in the real world. Have some standards FJ! If he doesn’t really love you, then don’t live in a mock relationship. You deserve better than that. It just reminds me of Bella in New Moon, how she was determined to follow Edward as an immortal even if he didn’t want her to. Learn to let your crush go! If they love you, they’ll come back. But don’t force them into a relationship they don’t want.

of course I know Dong Hua loves, Feng Jiu. I’m just critiquing Feng Jiu’s désire to stay in the dream.

I agree with you that love cannot be forced. In this situation, FJ wasn't forcing DH to be with her. It was FJ being honest and opening up to DH about her insecurities. 

To me, FJ wasn't being unreasonable in that scene. She never demanded DH to stay with her in the dream and she calmly listened to DH's reply.

DH needed to hear FJ's thoughts too. It probably helped DH understand how deeply FJ was impacted. 

FJ essentially had thousands of years of mostly negative experience related to DH and reinforce her insecurities. Not that it was DH's fault for majority of it. On top of that, DH did suddenly leave FJ, just right after he declared he will marry her. Which triggered FJ insecurities. So it's only natural that FJ is scared and worried DH will 'forget' her once they are out of the dream. 

I think the scene was important.  Some viewers see FJ as needy and immature. But I think she handled it well. She could have closed up and let her insecurities and resentment build. Instead, FJ bravely expressed her fears to DH. DH could have handled it better by giving her a hug.  The positive is he didn't reject FJ and instead explained the situation to FJ in a objective way. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I think the scene was important.  Some viewers see FJ as needy and immature. But I think she handled it well. She could have closed up and let her insecurities and resentment build. Instead, FJ bravely expressed her fears to DH. DH could have handled it better by giving her a hug.  The positive is he didn't reject FJ and instead explained the situation to FJ in a objective way. 

In this scene, FJ has been comfortable enough in their relationship that she can tell him her inner fears and openly cry. DH on the other hand stayed calm and listened to her, and spoke to her as patiently possible his views. He didn't ridicule her tears nor dismissed her misgivings. 

I like how they interacted here, even if FJ was emotional, even if DH still seems remote. 

• Love 2

On 10/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, Megan said:

I do love how Dong Hua said “他敢。”

it was said with so much promise of death if Feng Jiu died.

Me too! DH doesn't say much, but every word he says counts.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:01 PM, Megan said:

Here is a crazy scenario.

say BQ or FJ are having a deadly birthing time. And Zhe Yan decrees that only the mother or child can survive. BQ and FJ choose to save their child and say it outloud. Question is; will their husbands respect their decisions?

I doubt their husband's will respect their decisions. 

YH was barely functional when Susan died. Whereas DH lived miserably without FJ when she disappeared.  

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

In this scene, FJ has been comfortable enough in their relationship that she can tell him her inner fears and openly cry. DH on the other hand stayed calm and listened to her, and spoke to her as patiently possible his views. He didn't ridicule her tears nor dismissed her misgivings. 

I like how they interacted here, even if FJ was emotional, even if DH still seems remote. 

I love their reactions. Both try so hard to understand each other.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/13/2020 at 11:34 PM, MayanEcho said:

No. Consorts are not concubines. The dictionary itself would expound the meaning and differences between the two.

Ok, I tried researching. I’ve concluded...consorts is just another name for a higher ranking concubine.

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Ok, I tried researching. I’ve concluded...consorts is just another name for a higher ranking concubine.

The difference, Megan, is that a consort is married while a concubine is not. The consort can rise to become an Empress in Imperial China. The concubine may become a consort if she bears heirs to the throne. 

The consort is either wife or husband, in particular the spouse of the reigning monarch. For examples in 3L3W, DH is the Prince consort of the Qing Qiu Empress FJ. Sujin was a consort of Tianjun Hao De. 

In real life, in UK, Prince Philip is the Prince Consort of Queen Elizabeth II. Duchess Camilla will be Princess consort when Prince Charles ascends.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Inspired by the Lion King, I have deduced who wakes up first.
Gun Gun wakes up earliest. Feng Jiu normally wakes early but Dong Hua keeps her up at night. I’m guessing a Dong Hua is a definite late riser.

one morning, Gun Gun knocks on his parents’ door.
GG: mother, father, it’s time to wake up!

FJ: your son is awake. Go greet him.

DH: before sunrise, he’s your son.

FJ: then why am I in your bed?

DH: I need my wife more than our son does.

FJ: aha, you just said ‘our’. Now get up and do your parental duty.

DH: duty? What’s that? Never heard of it?

FJ:....

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

The difference, Megan, is that a consort is married while a concubine is not. The consort can rise to become an Empress in Imperial China. The concubine may become a consort if she bears heirs to the throne. 

The consort is either wife or husband, in particular the spouse of the reigning monarch. For examples in 3L3W, DH is the Prince consort of the Qing Qiu Empress FJ. Sujin was a consort of Tianjun Hao De. 

In real life, in UK, Prince Philip is the Prince Consort of Queen Elizabeth II. Duchess Camilla will be Princess consort when Prince Charles ascends.

In that case, did Su Jin literally choose to demote herself from emperor’s consort to Ye Hua’s concubine? Since technically they never got married.

• Like 1