[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

On 9/26/2020 at 10:30 PM, Megan said:

Say for some reason, Xiao Yan couldn’t reach Dong Hua in time to pass on Jiheng’s message. And by the time Dong Hua arrives, Jiheng is dead. Obviously this was a suicide Mission. But how do you think Dong Hua would have reacted?

Who do you think Dong Hua is more jealous of? Xiao Yan or Shen Ye?

DH probably wouldn't react much. He did his part to help JH already. 

SY. XY may have FJ's attention and affection, but FJ clearly sees XY as a family, whereas FJ's feelings and behaviour towards SY seemed more ambiguous from DH's POV. 

On 9/27/2020 at 3:26 AM, MayanEcho said:

Since he both wanted to off them, it's at that level that he can contemplate it. :lol: Well, maybe Shen Ye, cos he's asked which part of Shen Ye is better than him. LMAO!

I hope it's  just bad subbing cos the innuendo there, and the glance down of FJ and her answer that she didn't make such comparison yet is really making me LOL! :lol:

I haven't noticed LOL. I will need to go back and check :lol:

On 9/27/2020 at 4:18 AM, Megan said:

I really want to see what would happen if Dong Hua met Gun Gun when he finally reunited with Feng Jiu to give her the ring, just before heading off to face Miao Luo.

That would be interesting to see. I doubt think he would be as willing to die with Miao Luo and try to think of alternative options.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, Megan said:

I really want to see what would happen if Dong Hua met Gun Gun when he finally reunited with Feng Jiu to give her the ring, just before heading off to face Miao Luo.

I can only be sad on this. DH learns he's a father, but he is going to that battle with nary a hope of returning. That Qiushui toxin reallh did him a number no thanks to that ingrate and selfish demoness.

He'll be more determined to win it for BGG and FJ, even if he'll perish as well within the starlight ward once the cleansing commences. FJ will still join him though, as always when he's in danger.

39 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I haven't noticed LOL. I will need to go back and check :lol:

Seeing the shots frame by frame... :lol: 

6 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Or BGG is being very filial and gifting it to papa DJ. His preference is salty food anyway. 

Woe to BGG, even salty foods aren't safe from DH! Anything FJ cooks he will eat. :lol: BGG can confirm with SMY, LOL!

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me the cultivation in this novel?

i understand that Xianxia novels use cultivation to gain powers and health and immortality etc, but how exactly do the ELOD characters cultivate their powers?

for Dong Hua, he undergoes a mortal trial to recover a lot of spiritually cultivated energy...so I Guess you get energy from experiencing misfortune.

for Feng Jiu or Bai Qian, they have to study Chinese philosophy? Though I have no idea how they get stronger powers via studying. Unless they meditate on what they learn?

from what I can see, it seems like their powers mainly just grow with age.

Finished episode 32. In anticipation of 34, I feel angry again and am unable to enjoy the kiss as much as I would like to.

poor Xiao Yan. You’re being led on. Why can’t you just fall for Jielu???

i find it very entertaining that Xiao Yan just broke Dong Hua’s ward like that. He must be giving Dong Hua a throbbing headache with all his actions.

does anyone think Jiheng purposefully gave herself hives so Dong Hua would show concern for her? And who the hell listens to a stranger like Miao Luo?

7 hours ago, Megan said:

Can someone explain to me the cultivation in this novel?

i understand that Xianxia novels use cultivation to gain powers and health and immortality etc, but how exactly do the ELOD characters cultivate their powers?

for Dong Hua, he undergoes a mortal trial to recover a lot of spiritually cultivated energy...so I Guess you get energy from experiencing misfortune.

for Feng Jiu or Bai Qian, they have to study Chinese philosophy? Though I have no idea how they get stronger powers via studying. Unless they meditate on what they learn?

From what I understand it's not just study as in "simply reading a book."

It's study/practice. Remember DH telling FJ when she was hurt "I cannot always be there for you to help you. For cultivation to work you need to fall and get yourself back up." (Quoting from memory here ;) ) Meditation is part of study/practice I’m assuming. Meditating on a certain subject or spell or experience…

And when one experiences misfortune(s), there is a possibility to learn and thus grow/cultivate wisdom, knowledge, empathy, love and respect for all living beings. Of course you can choose to ignore “life’s lessons” and make the same mistakes over and over, but as with mortals you will not grow and will likely continue to meet the same “misfortunes.”

I don’t think age is the most important factor, and especially pre- trial(s) to high immortal and high god, unimportant because if one fails those, they are most likely to perish. “True immortals” are worthy of respect because they had cultivated enough spiritual energy to survive those trials in the first place. (Someone please correct me if I’m wrong)

I’m not sure if the demon clan also experiences calamities though… Perhaps someone else knows?

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

From what I understand it's not just study as in "simply reading a book."

It's study/practice. Remember DH telling FJ when she was hurt "I cannot always be there for you to help you. For cultivation to work you need to fall and get yourself back up." (Quoting from memory here ;) ) Meditation is part of study/practice I’m assuming. Meditating on a certain subject or spell or experience…

And when one experiences misfortune(s), there is a possibility to learn and thus grow/cultivate wisdom, knowledge, empathy, love and respect for all living beings. Of course you can choose to ignore “life’s lessons” and make the same mistakes over and over, but as with mortals you will not grow and will likely continue to meet the same “misfortunes.”

I don’t think age is the most important factor, and especially pre- trial(s) to high immortal and high god, unimportant because if one fails those, they are most likely to perish. “True immortals” are worthy of respect because they had cultivated enough spiritual energy to survive those trials in the first place. (Someone please correct me if I’m wrong)

I’m not sure if the demon clan also experiences calamities though… Perhaps someone else knows?

I don’t fully get it, but meditating on spells kind of sounds like mémorizing spells so technically that leads to more magic I Guess?

though I’m not sure how wisdom leads to magic...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Megan said:

Finished episode 32. In anticipation of 34, I feel angry again and am unable to enjoy the kiss as much as I would like to.

i find it very entertaining that Xiao Yan just broke Dong Hua’s ward like that. He must be giving Dong Hua a throbbing headache with all his actions.

does anyone think Jiheng purposefully gave herself hives so Dong Hua would show concern for her? And who the hell listens to a stranger like Miao Luo?

Megan, don't ruin it for yourself dear. :lol: 

And yes, I think JH did it on purpose because she's that pathetic and desperate for his attention. 

• Wiggle 1

9 hours ago, Megan said:

They're cultivating as they practice their magic arts. Part of their schooling be it in Qing Qiu or Kunlun were about their keeping their immortality and spells apart from history and sword skills among others.

9 hours ago, Megan said:

Ye Hua was born having more powers than most even if he was one of the youngest. He studied well though, so he could do his first ascending even younger than Mo Yuan.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Assuming Jiheng didn’t know that Dong Hua was not going to give the fruit to Feng Jiu, what was her plan for causing discord between DongFeng if Xiao Yan won the fruit?

Ji Heng wanted Dong Hua for herself - and since DH is obviously interested with FJ, then to make FJ go away from DH is her best course.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Biyiniao clan members can't marry a non-Biyiniao as a rule due to to their short lives.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

does anyone think Jiheng purposefully gave herself hives so Dong Hua would show concern for her?

She's quite calculating. The hives are a parallel to going back for more Qiushui poisoning if it would mean getting what she wants which is DH.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

And who the hell listens to a stranger like Miao Luo?

Miao Luo's banshee is highly cultivated and can compel and manipulate in the drama given the right condition. XY is having high cultivation but because of that scratch, Miao Luo can use him via JH.

41 minutes ago, Megan said:

I don’t fully get it, but meditating on spells kind of sounds like mémorizing spells so technically that leads to more magic I Guess?

The wisdom is for how to use their magic strength and their spells the best way it can be deployed.

• Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

6 minutes ago, Megan said:

I think it really depends on what you think meditation entails. 

In short I see it like this: When you think deeply on a subject (meditate on it) you will find the subject becomes “a world of information”, as one answer/possibility leads to a new question with another possibility and so on. The world or subject, keeps expanding the deeper you dive in and you will even find that one subject is closely related to another.

We all have potential, but not all eyes reach as far or as deep, the more you meditate and train yourself to look further from your own pre-conceptions, the deeper you can go. A spell or formation can be just that, or, a world of information to draw from…

So meditation is not simply memorizing imo, it’s a spiritual journey that can help you grow/enlighten=cultivate= spiritual strength/power.

• Insightful 4

44 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Maybe in the succeeding books it will be touched. For sure though that with XY as basis, they also practice for cultivation. ^_^ I would assume though that as demons, perhaps their ascension or the way they experience calamities might be in some way different to the way celestials go through theirs.

34 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Megan, don't ruin it for yourself dear. :lol:

I agree. :) @Megan Don't get angry ahead before watching. Ep34 has portions that are painful,  just as it has moments of revelations, care between friends, and what can be sacrificed for love. How things happened from point a to b to c to d should be enjoyed. ^_^ 

Just chill and relax. Plus without anger, you'll see more minute things you might miss because you were anticipating the scene that makes you mad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Love is complicated. It can leads to anger, jealousy, and confusing. Sometimes it leads to misunderstanding. When Dijun and Feng Jiu kisses each other on episode 34, is like their heart opening up to each other. It felt relieving to them since they felt it was confined for so long and finally they could express it. When you love someone without knowing, you just wanted to be around them more and get to know them better. You just wanted to be there for them no matter what and protect them. Every aspects of them stands out to you the most. Is hard to know when you're in love or not. I think Jielu and Xiao Yan don't have feelings for each other and regards them self as good friends. IMO just because you know someone for short or long amount of time, doesn't mean you will instantly fall in love with each other. Although I do agree JiHeng isn't the great love interest for Xiao Yan. She did a lot of things that made us upset throughout the book/novel. I think that if she wasn't so trap in 'love' with Donghua with the whole Dijun paying his debt towards her Father. And her belief that DH has a special interest in her. Maybe there's a reason why Xiao Yan likes her?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Maybe in the succeeding books it will be touched. For sure though that with XY as basis, they also practice for cultivation. ^_^ I would assume though that as demons, perhaps their ascension or the way they experience calamities might be in some way different to the way celestials go through theirs.

I hope so :) I was also thinking it may be a bit different.

Also, for most celestials places like the ghost realm affect their abilities, but I don't get the same impression the other way around. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I hope so :) I was also thinking it may be a bit different.

Also, for most celestials places like the ghost realm affect their abilities, but I don't get the same impression the other way around. Am I missing something?

From TMOPB,  if they haven't ascended yet to high immortal (or was it god level) then they are hampered and somehow lose their magic in the ghoul realm. Since BQ was a high goddess she could do her magic and fight everyone on her own, unlike the first time they were captured. Si Ming, Sang Ji, MY, and YH had no troubles too coming and going.

This is in the drama version though, I'm not so sure in the book if it's mentioned that too.

• Thanks 1