[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

53 minutes ago, Megan said:

As promised, I decided to try my hand at making sorrowless pastries again. This time the mortal version. Sadly it still looked purple and white cos food colouring didn’t work. It tasted much better cos I added more sugar. And the purple potatoes were so much easier to mash. The yams were still chunky though. It was still hard to make them look presentable. Bottom line: first attempt looked decent but tasted meh. Second attempt tasted better but looked meh.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220362816112820&set=a.10202863022148908&type=3

I think you're getting there. As you said,this time the taste is better than the first time. :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Megan said:

As promised, I decided to try my hand at making sorrowless pastries again. This time the mortal version. Sadly it still looked purple and white cos food colouring didn’t work. It tasted much better cos I added more sugar. And the purple potatoes were so much easier to mash. The yams were still chunky though. It was still hard to make them look presentable. Bottom line: first attempt looked decent but tasted meh. Second attempt tasted better but looked meh.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220362816112820&set=a.10202863022148908&type=3

I applaud your attempt and perseverance. My pastries would put DJ's sweet and sour fish to shame. :doggie:

I am currently watching another C-Drama- half heartedly, as I keep going back to ELOD, and if it's not ELOD it's TMOPB... 

I have re-read and re-watched ELOD... I have even made a half serious attempt at reading  "To the sky kingdom" ( :crazy: ) Something is seriously wrong with me...

I'm rather disappointed I haven't been able to move on yet. :cries3:

I hope we'll have Lotus Step soon... I need something else from the realm of TQ to devour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

33 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I am currently watching another C-Drama- half heartedly, as I keep going back to ELOD, and if it's not ELOD it's TMOPB... 

Don't worry, you aren't alone. ^_^ I watched a few trailers of others, but most aren't appealing to me. Except for one, slice of life type of show, to binge watch later. I still watch either ELOD or TMOPB too while chilling.

I have re-read and re-watched ELOD... I have even made a half serious attempt at reading  "To the sky kingdom" ( :crazy: ) Something is seriously wrong with me...

I'm rather disappointed I haven't been able to move on yet.

Ahahaha! Joking aside, it's difficult to be tired or over them. More than the poignant stories in several points of the protagonists' lives, the actors and actresses are top notch for both. Their eyes speak, and they're just so appealing.

I hope we'll have Lotus Step soon... I need something else from the realm of TQ to devour. 

The preview 24 chapters of Lotus Steps is wonderful reading even if it was only through the browser's auto-translated text which can be really confusing. Can't wait for the whole story to unfold. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Ahahaha! Joking aside, it's difficult to be tired or over them. More than the poignant stories in several points of the protagonists' lives, the actors and actresses are top notch for both. Their eyes speak, and they're just so appealing.

The preview 24 chapters of Lotus Steps is wonderful reading even if it was only through the browser's auto-translated text which can be really confusing. Can't wait for the whole story to unfold. :)

That is very true. Rarely I feel that drawn in and I'm missing that pull now with other dramas. 

I tried reading LS with auto translate but I think I'd rather read the lousy translated "To the sky kingdom" in all it's crappy galore- at least I can make sense of what is written. :lol: Patience, patience, I must cultivate me some...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, SilverDawn said:

That is very true. Rarely I feel that drawn in and I'm missing that pull now with other dramas. 

I tried reading LS with auto translate but I think I'd rather read the lousy translated "To the sky kingdom" in all it's crappy galore- at least I can make sense of what is written. :lol: Patience, patience, I must cultivate me some...

TMOPB and ELOD raised the bar of "letting the eyes do the talking and acting". ^_^ 

The auto-translated text is oftentimes confusing or so funny, hahaha! It's like reading something written by a toddler, hahaha!

To The Sky Kingdom is a bit of struggle to read, but I agree, it's easier to understand than auto-translated text. I sometimes wish it was done (translated)  better and that the TMOPB title was kept rather than change it.

• Like 2

I agree with you on the title, it just doesn't cut it. Regarding the translation overall: It's still better than nothing. But after watching the drama and reading the pillow book it feels like it's from a different author. Even though I don't really know due to not having read the original Chinese version, I believe one can tell things got lost in translation and not just the title and names. I wonder how the translation came about as there is no official translation for pillowbook...

Also... can I just say: I really like Mo Yuan... I missed him in ELOD at the wedding- and rescue scenes.  

vlcsnap-00014.png

Mo Yuan Bai Qian 3L3W - moosesforgooses - Wattpad

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I agree with you on the title, it just doesn't cut it. Regarding the translation overall: It's still better than nothing. But after watching the drama and reading the pillow book it feels like it's from a different author. Even though I don't really know due to not having read the original Chinese version, I believe one can tell things got lost in translation and not just the title and names. I wonder how the translation came about as there is no official translation for pillowbook...

TTSK's translation is more clinical, and it's horrible reading the anglicised names; The translator didn't have to do it. I'd have rather she poured her energy to translate in the same context and feel as the author, which she barely did.

TPB English translation might be unofficial, but I daresay the work of the fans (Hamster, et.al) has more heart and as close enough feel as how TQ wrote it. Many of ELOD's subbed texts are so similar to the translation of the book.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

TTSK's translation is more clinical, and it's horrible reading the anglicised names; The translator didn't have to do it. I'd have rather she poured her energy to translate in the same context and feel as the author, which she barely did.

TPB English translation might be unofficial, but I daresay the work of the fans (Hamster, et.al) has more heart and as close enough feel as how TQ wrote it. Many of ELOD's subbed texts are so similar to the translation of the book.

I think we can all agree on that the translation of TMOPB left much to be desired.

Unfortunately we'll have to make do and fortunateley we have fan translations of TQ's other work. :) Perhaps one day we'll have a better English version.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I applaud your attempt and perseverance. My pastries would put DJ's sweet and sour fish to shame. 

Try reading the manhua.

I had one sorrowless pastry for breakfast. Don’t microwave for more than one minute as it starts steaming in less than that.

it is agreed I will never be doing this again cos it isn’t a hot fav among my family.

and actually...does this count as pastry when it is pretty much potatoes and yams... I am pretty sure the sorrowless pastry is supposed to have a floral taste.

i recommend making snowskin Oreo mooncakes. It is way, way easier and it lasts longer in the fridge.

13 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I applaud your attempt and perseverance. My pastries would put DJ's sweet and sour fish to shame.

I am the same. I start watching some dramas and lose interest very quickly. I think the issues are the unoriginal storylines and lack of spark between the main leads.

I am watching Miss S. Murder mystery and Romance. Vengo is in it and the drama is a great production. Vengo does all the right moves in the drama, but the spark is missing in his eyes. 

However, I am enjoying the drama overall.

• Like 4

I am wondering...the public reason Dong Hua chose to join the deity clan. Who came up with that reason? Chonglin or a deity who wanted to boast of his clan’s virtues?

and Dong Hua’s promise to let Feng Jiu live a free life...what exactly does that mean? It’s not like he would have cared about following normal procedures. And Feng Jiu is a Queen, she will have to obey normal rules sometime.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

I am wondering...the public reason Dong Hua chose to join the deity clan. Who came up with that reason? Chonglin or a deity who wanted to boast of his clan’s virtues?

and Dong Hua’s promise to let Feng Jiu live a free life...what exactly does that mean? It’s not like he would have cared about following normal procedures. And Feng Jiu is a Queen, she will have to obey normal rules sometime.

What is known by the public as the reason to choose the celestials may be clarified in Lotus Steps. As it is, in mortal realm, 

Spoiler

LS woke up one of the gods who has something to do with Zu Ti.

The ancients waking up from deep sleep also resurrects the past history as they experienced it.

Like what Zhe Yan said, one of the ancients himself as the first phoenix, what is written and what actually happened may not be necessarily the same.

Regarding DH's reasons recorded in the history books for joining the celestials, it may or may not be true basing from what are written, and the same can be said of the backstory Zhe Yan has narrated. Rather, the question would be, what were the circumstances for DH, or the other ancient deities, to make that choice?

DH's promise of FJ living a free life meant he will let her develop at her own phase, nor will he interfere with her growth. The most he will do will be to guide her, but he will not box her in rules.

Protocols will be there for the monarchs and members of the royal families as a given. She'll be expected to follow the ceremonial etiquettes. Even DH bows if he must. Beyond that, he supports her having her own identity. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

14 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

What is known by the public as the reason to choose the celestials may be clarified in Lotus Steps. As it is, in mortal realm, 

Reveal hidden contents

LS woke up one of the gods who has something to do with Zu Ti.

The ancients waking up from deep sleep also resurrects the past history as they experienced it.

Like what Zhe Yan said, one of the ancients himself as the first phoenix, what is written and what actually happened may not be necessarily the same.

Regarding DH's reasons recorded in the history books for joining the celestials, it may or may not be true basing from what are written, and the same can be said of the backstory Zhe Yan has narrated. Rather, the question would be, what were the circumstances for DH, or the other ancient deities, to make that choice?

DH's promise of FJ living a free life meant he will let her develop at her own phase, nor will he interfere with her growth. The most he will do will be to guide her, but he will not box her in rules.

You make me want to read LS even more :lol:

I like how DJ will let FJ grow and learn at her own pace. To me it shows how much he respects her. He isn't trying to curb her natural sunny and curious disposition with rules or do's and don'ts. Also, I think it sparks his curiousity;  wondering how she will mature further by dealing with the cards life deals her. 

It's sort of the same with how MY treated BQ while she was at Kunlun. 

He knew BQ slacked off and would not pass her trial because of her innate lazyness. Yet still he did not use force; instead he was prepared to take the trial for her which sparked a change in her attitude. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Not gonna lie, even with the crappy auto-translated text, there were some portions and chapters that were so funny or that it really stung. The strange thing is that, it's auto-generated text, but I rather felt the connection of it being written by the same author of TPB.

I like how DJ will let FJ grow and learn at her own pace. To me it shows how much he respects her

As DH told Nie Chuyin and heard by FJ's Bingcang attendees, his queen is equal to him. :lol: One of the best time DH shows how shameless he is, hahaha!

Dijun glanced at Nie Chuyin, then glanced to his side at Fengjiu and unhurriedly said, “Since she is my queen, she is naturally my equal. You've just said that you are her peer, then it's only of course you are also my peer. A duel between the two of us is obviously an exchange between peers. Which rule from Qingqiu's book of rituals would we be violating?”(PB2, p400)

He isn't trying to curb her natural sunny and curious disposition with rules or do's and don'ts. Also, I think it sparks his curiousity;  wondering how she will mature further by dealing with the cards life deals her. 

It entertains grandpa and also keeps him on his toes, hahaha! But hands down, DH is so patient with her.

He knew BQ slacked off and would not pass her trial because of her innate lazyness. Yet still he did not use force; instead he was prepared to take the trial for her which sparked a change in her attitude. 

I rather think these two beautiful goddesses learn differently. They are joked of having low IQ and having the knack of finding troubles, but MY and DH have seen more about them. MY passed on to BQ the difficult spell to keep Qing Qang trapped being his most talented albeit unruly disciple; DH described FJ as talented, capable, and with good personality that for him, she is perfect. :heart:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I like how DJ will let FJ grow and learn at her own pace. To me it shows how much he respects her. He isn't trying to curb her natural sunny and curious disposition with rules or do's and don'ts. Also, I think it sparks his curiousity;  wondering how she will mature further by dealing with the cards life deals her

I always felt that too. How DH like to see what FJ will do next. One thing is for sure, DH will never be bored with FJ around!

12 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Not gonna lie, even with the crappy auto-translated text, there were some portions and chapters that were so funny or that it really stung. The strange thing is that, it's auto-generated text, but I rather felt the connection of it being written by the same author of TPB.

As DH told Nie Chuyin and heard by FJ's Bingcang attendees, his queen is equal to him. :lol: One of the best time DH shows how shameless he is, hahaha!

Dijun glanced at Nie Chuyin, then glanced to his side at Fengjiu and unhurriedly said, “Since she is my queen, she is naturally my equal. You've just said that you are her peer, then it's only of course you are also my peer. A duel between the two of us is obviously an exchange between peers. Which rule from Qingqiu's book of rituals would we be violating?”(PB2, p400)

It entertains grandpa and also keeps him on his toes, hahaha! But hands down, DH is so patient with her.

I rather think these two beautiful goddesses learn differently. They are joked of having low IQ and having the knack of finding troubles, but MY and DH have seen more about them. MY passed on to BQ the difficult spell to keep Qing Qang trapped being his most talented albeit unruly disciple; DH described FJ as talented, capable, and with good personality that for him, she is perfect. :heart:

DH have infinite patients for FJ. As long as it does not involve any other male, he probably finds her amusing in every way.

I love how on point DH's description of FJ is. He is so deeply in love with FJ, he sees nothing wrong with her at all.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ChibiLy said:

DH have infinite patients for FJ. As long as it does not involve any other male, he probably finds her amusing in every way.

I love how on point DH's description of FJ is. He is so deeply in love with FJ, he sees nothing wrong with her at all.  

DH doesn't mind her antics, and even joins with the trolling. :lol: 

In 3L3W, DH has always been so besotted with FJ, even as a baby fox.

SXR couldn't take Xiao Jiu off his mind from the first time he had seen her(him). SY has adored Aranya from when he was a young boy and she was still a toddler raised by the snakes. DH would too like SY did if he'd seen FJ as a little girl, judging by the way he was asking LS how she might have looked like as a baby. ^_^

• Like 3