[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Feng Jiu not be confident in her artistic skills. True, she isn’t a chess player, or can play the qin, Nor does she practise calligraphy. But she is a good artist, as can be seen in episode 1. Like father like daughter.

Dong Hua and Jiheng are talented in all 4 arts. Shame that Jiheng just loves to steal credit. She really is no better than Zhihe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megan said:

Feng Jiu not be confident in her artistic skills. True, she isn’t a chess player, or can play the qin, Nor does she practise calligraphy. But she is a good artist, as can be seen in episode 1. Like father like daughter.

Dong Hua and Jiheng are talented in all 4 arts. Shame that Jiheng just loves to steal credit. She really is no better than Zhihe.

Bai Yi is the most talented artist of all realms. (PB1, p149) :) Another evidence that the nine-tailed fox clan is abundantly blessed. Once they learn from DH how to be more meticulous in their recordings (hello Nie Chuyin Bingcang fiasco!), to have the patience not to judge immediately until getting all info, they'll be close to being perfect immortals. :lol:

Though FJ is excellent in drawing/painting and good enough with the flute while so-so with others, she has practical skills. She cooks very well, and she has swordfighting skills...plus knowledge in fishing, digging holes and setting up traps, and breaking in... FJ can survive well on her own.

JH and ZH are alike in many ways, so sooner or later their acts mirror each other, with only the time as difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Artistic talent can not fill an empty stomach! I am sure DH much prefer FJ who can cook delicious food.

On 8/18/2020 at 8:42 PM, Megan said:

Food for thought:

we both know Dong Hua and Xuanren are very possessive of Feng Jiu and refuse to share her. Shen Ye on the other hand was willing to let her be married to his master.

the main difference is that Dong Hua and Xuanren are pretty much at the top of the social ladder. Shen Ye, while high in status, is not the most powerful person and believes his master can protect Aranya better. If Shen Ye was as influential and powerful as Xize, do you think he would have protested their marriage?

I'd like to think SY would fight for AY if he was in the position to. But I am not sure if SY realised he was in love with AY at that point. So given the chance, he may not even protest the marriage.

SY seem to over think which leads to him hesitant. 

In reflection, SY didn't even have a close friend to discuss his concerns. At least DH and SXR had an option to talk to someone, or someone would verbalise their concerns. SY really was dealt with the worse cards compare to DH and SXR.

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, FoxontheMoon said:

To me to this day I still don't understand the logic behind the parents of Aranya... the mother threw her into the snake pit... the father dont care at all?... i get the mothers pov... arayna is a child she didn't want to have with the new husband. But what was aranya father thinking? Not even trying to save her... does he think that she's the daughter of his brother?

And after so many yrs they think they still have parental rights to her after abandoning her in that snake pit and let her die there... lucky she didn't die there but still died in the end in more heart broken way... even tho the Aranya and SY fate when the wrong way but gave DF a chance to be together i feel sad for those 2 side characters

I can see the Queens logic. She was most likely traumatized by her first husbands death. One may argue she was subjected to continuous abuse from the current king/husband. 

But my empathy for her is limited because of her actions towards Aranya. If Aranya triggered her trauma, she could have sent Aranya away, instead of throwing her into a pit. 

The king is a lost course. He probably only cared for his own pleasure and gains. It wouldn't be too far stretch to think the Queen may have made up some excuse about Aranya's disappearance and the King made no attempts to follow up with her well being.

Aranya and SY paid a high price for FJ and DH to be together. 

I am eternity grateful for that FJ and DH are together, but it still hurts to see how much Aranya and SY suffered. 

19 hours ago, Megan said:

but why stay there when they marry their husbands? That’s what I meant. They have such unhappy memories there. Feng Jiu could have built her bamboo house. Bai Qian could have at least move to a different courtyard. Why stay in a place filled with sad memories?

oh yeah, I finished episode 3. It’s so sad. Zhihe seems to have mastered the sorrowless pastry after the return trip from Qingqiu. 
worst of all...POOR CARP SPIRIT. May he Rest In Peace. T.T

I agree with @MayanEcho point.

FJ is very optimistic, resilient and pragmatic. 

FJ focus on the positive and what needs to be done to support DH. DH was also practical and supportive of FJ's needs. I think knowing that, FJ was happy enough to follow DH anywhere. Afterall,  for FJ, home is where DH is.

Ah, DongFeng are such positive role models for how a healthy relationship should be! Yes, I know, their lack of communication was not ideal, but they certainly have learnt by the end of the drama!

On 8/18/2020 at 7:00 PM, Megan said:

I am currently interested in writing a novel based on ancient mystical China. Hence why I am reading fiction books (not online!) about this.

what I have read so far:

1) Spin The Dawn

2) To The Sky Kingdom (currently)

3) 3 kingdoms (not really mystical but I loved the movie.)

4) 1000 beginnings and endings

5) fortune cookie fox

6) city of a thousand dolls

to read list:

1) Chinese fairy tales and legends

2) wicked fox

3) forest of a thousand lanterns

4) strange stories from a Chinese studio

5) classic of mountains and seas

any other reading suggestions? Plz mention only print books.

I also can’t remember where it was, but there was a link to a lot of ELOD comics. One of the comics showed Xiao Jiu jumping off the cliff and Xuanren crying no, but it was revealed that Xiao Jiu had just been bungee jumping and asked the emperor to join her because it was fun. The emperor and his Guards were left with wide eyes.

any body know the link?

I would love to know the link, if any one knows. I can't read Chinese, but it would be nice to.look at the drawings :lol:

I don't have any suggestions Megan. I read alot of chinese novels that are translated into English. It's all online. 

• Love 1

Finished episode 4. The subtitles showed a couple of errors here. One line had a question marks instead of spaces. Another line just didn’t make sense.

anyway, I find myself torn about XY’s actions. On one hand, he was cheated out of his duel. Dong Hua used him as free labour and practically provoked him into doing something drastic. On the other hand, stealing the soul-locking jade is a serious crime. 

• LOL 2

35 minutes ago, Megan said:

Finished episode 4. The subtitles showed a couple of errors here. One line had a question marks instead of spaces. Another line just didn’t make sense.

anyway, I find myself torn about XY’s actions. On one hand, he was cheated out of his duel. Dong Hua used him as free labour and practically provoked him into doing something drastic. On the other hand, stealing the soul-locking jade is a serious crime. 

XY was so dense not to get that DH was not interested to fight at all. Especially for XY's reason that he wants a duel because he thought that if he wins over DH, Xuyang will betroth JH to him instead. Tsk tsk. So ridiculously childish, so very stupid.

That's why after DH, baby fox FJ, and JH got out from the Evil Lotus land, DH gave XY the very sound trashing he deserves (not shown, but LS will discuss it with DH at EP 26).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Megan said:

Well....afterall DH is the ultimate shameless deity. 

Considering the severity of his action, XY got off lightly for stealing the soul locking Jade.

• Wiggle 1

I am currently reading the chapter in To The Sky Kingdom where Xuan Nu is finally punished. I have some questions.

1) after Bai Qian took back her face, Lijing was stunned by how his wife really looked. Do you think Xuan Nu’s  Original beauty had faded because of her evil actions over time, or was Lijing just unhappy that she no longer looked like Si Yin?

2) What happened to the blind Xuan Nu once they left? In the drama, Lijing agreed to have her executed. But what about in the book? Is it possible she could still be alive and unpunished, blindness notwithstanding?

42 minutes ago, Megan said:

1) after Bai Qian took back her face, Lijing was stunned by how his wife really looked. Do you think Xuan Nu’s  Original beauty had faded because of her evil actions over time, or was Lijing just unhappy that she no longer looked like Si Yin?

He's surprised that after 70,000 years he's married to Xuan Nu, he finds out that she is borrowing somebody's face. I won't say he's not happy she doesn't look like Si Yin, but more like it was rammed home to him that up to that time, he never knew his wife's real face, or the extent of her lying, including to herself.

42 minutes ago, Megan said:

2) What happened to the blind Xuan Nu once they left? In the drama, Lijing agreed to have her executed. But what about in the book? Is it possible she could still be alive and unpunished, blindness notwithstanding?

Nothing has been mentioned afterwards after Bai Qian turned her back to how she originally looks, so Xuan Nu might have been executed as Ye Hua demanded Li Jing to do initially, or she is held somewhere else in the Ghoul realm, never to be seen by public anymore. You can check in chapter 12 of TTSK. This part resembles closely the drama EP36-37.

Note that the TTSK by Toland may not be the best reference as there were carelessly translated portions (the anglicised names, for instance), and the translation itself was too clinical.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Megan said:

I am currently reading the chapter in To The Sky Kingdom where Xuan Nu is finally punished. I have some questions.

I have not read the book. But the borrowing else's face sounds so messed up!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megan said:

It kinda sucks that we never know what happened to XN. I console myself by coming up with how she has  already been punished for her crimes in the book.

Xuan Nu betrayal caused so much deaths that entire clans were wiped out. Her unhappy marriage and inability to bear a healthy child were not yet enough, IMO.

33 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

She used to be childhood friends with Bai Qian, and she liked BQ's face too much. Zhe Yan taught her the spell to have BQ's face, at BQ's indulging Xuan Nu. They asked her not to abuse that spell. But envy ate her heart.

• Insightful 1

2 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

What I find myself annoyed with is how Bai Qian never retrieves her stuff and always too late.

she should have recovered her face when Xuan Nu rubbed the soul jade in her face. But nope. She just walked out after declaring her and the purple palace enemies. And in the end, Xuan Nu gets the opportunity to kidnap Ali and MY.

she should have taken back her eyes once she became a goddess. Hell, even Zhe Yan commented on her eye status. But nope, Bai Qian decides to forget everything and her own eye injury allows Xuan Nu’s soldiers to stab her.

lesson to learn from Bai Qian; administer justice swiftly or it will bite you back.

anyway, Xuan Nu is not satisfied with her own beauty and wants to be the most beautiful. In a weird way, what she did was probably face surgery. I read in China Rich Girlfriend that Kitty’s husband got surgery to look like a celebrity. It failed.

Oh, yeah, for ELOD ep um...was it 4? Anyway, do you think Zhihe can actually make the sorrowless pastry now? Seems like it. I wonder how it will get out that Feng Jiu is the original maker....

Edited by Megan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Megan said:

What I find myself annoyed with is how Bai Qian never retrieves her stuff and always too late.

she should have recovered her face when Xuan Nu rubbed the soul jade in her face. But nope. She just walked out after declaring her and the purple palace enemies. And in the end, Xuan Nu gets the opportunity to kidnap Ali and MY.

she should have taken back her eyes once she became a goddess. Hell, even Zhe Yan commented on her eye status. But nope, Bai Qian decides to forget everything and her own eye injury allows Xuan Nu’s soldiers to stab her.

lesson to learn from Bai Qian; administer justice swiftly or it will bite you back.

You have to consider the situation that time. BQ was first and foremost a Kunlun disciple and follower of MY, not a Qing Qiu princess, and certainly not a member of the white nine-tailed fox tribe. Not even as the young sister-in-law of Xuan Nu's eldest sister 

BQ was gravely injured at the Roushui river war, and she's already weakened by feeding MY her heart's blood. She was also in Ghoul realm; hence, she can not attack the Ghoul Queen in their own territories. Moreover, she can not have a fight as well with Xuan Nu because at that time, there was a recently forged truce between the ghouls and the celestials.

BQ can not cause issues between tribes over the soul jade stone that Li Jin denied he has. 

If BQ was willing to forget even Ali, her newborn, due to the agony of her failed relationship with YH, she will not give much considerations of her eyes stolen from her, even if ZY said something about it.

Anyhow, as Kunlun bred warrior, BQ might have been stabbed, but she alone still killed all the soldiers and was about to do the same with Xuan Nu when YH and Li Jing arrived.

As for justice, even if swiftly served, it is no justice if it was administered wrongly or untimely. BQ was wronged, and she deserves to collect from Xuan Nu and Su Jin. It was way more satisfying though that Xuan Nu is punished by Li Jing, the man she claimed to have done everything she did for him. The same with Su Jin, when Tianjun himself had to decide what would be her punishments.

2 hours ago, Megan said:

anyway, Xuan Nu is not satisfied with her own beauty and wants to be the most beautiful. In a weird way, what she did was probably face surgery. I read in China Rich Girlfriend that Kitty’s husband got surgery to look like a celebrity. It failed.

Oh, yeah, for ELOD ep um...was it 4? Anyway, do you think Zhihe can actually make the sorrowless pastry now? Seems like it. I wonder how it will get out that Feng Jiu is the original maker....

The magic ZY and BQ taught Xuan Nu either gives the glamour of having the same face, or her features rearranges to resemble the face she wants.

Zhi He can make the sorrowless pastry after FJ taught her. However, the difference is with how the person feels as they eat the pastry. Lian Song told her himself, that the pastry was excellent, but he still feels the sorrow. 

The maids and ZH knew FJ made the first batch of that sorrowless pastry. As for whether it would be known that ZH grabbed the credit - Lian Song already implied that, right? Because ZH could not duplicate the sorrowless feel. There's no need to tell her that she did not make the truly sorrowless pastries.

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Zhi He can make the sorrowless pastry after FJ taught her. However, the difference is with how the person feels as they eat the pastry. Lian Song told her himself, that the pastry was excellent, but he still feels the sorrow. 

The maids and ZH knew FJ made the first batch of that sorrowless pastry. As for whether it would be known that ZH grabbed the credit - Lian Song already implied that, right? Because ZH could not duplicate the sorrowless feel. There's no need to tell her that she did not make the truly sorrowless pastries.

But it was after they went to the lake to collect the roots that The Maid said Zhihe had successfully made them.

Finished episode 5. It’s interesting. While Dong Hua was saddened by Meng Hao’s passing, he never shed a tear. When Feng Jiu rejects him, he tears up....

5 hours ago, Megan said:

But it was after they went to the lake to collect the roots that The Maid said Zhihe had successfully made them.

Finished episode 5. It’s interesting. While Dong Hua was saddened by Meng Hao’s passing, he never shed a tear. When Feng Jiu rejects him, he tears up....

Was it really a success for cooking the pastry? ZH didn't get to make sorrowless pastry again after that, right? Watch EP 3 again. Yu Ru was praising her for successfully getting the Yushi flower root from Sea of Rebirth.

It was FJ's fish that ZH was planning to pass off as hers again. But because she wanted to preen first before she goes to the kitchen, DH's nose had beaten ZH and found out who was cooking the carp.

DH respects Meng Hao as one of the best generals during his unification campaign. One can be sad for somebody who passes away, but not necessarily be that affected emotionally to shed tears. 

FJ will be the first and foremost reason why DH will cry, as she's the one he loves.

Meng Hao and Feng Jiu are not at all comparable when it comes on who has the affections and heart of DH.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Food for thought:

Dong Hua was staring at his future wife sleeping as a cute fox. Even he can’t resist her in her full cuteness. Then he turns around for one second, and suddenly that blasted Xiao Yan is there cuddling the queen. It makes you wonder whether Dong Hua was wishing they would switch places.

what was in those letters that could cause the demon and ghoul clans to search for the missing bride? 

2 hours ago, Megan said:

Food for thought:

Dong Hua was staring at his future wife sleeping as a cute fox. Even he can’t resist her in her full cuteness. Then he turns around for one second, and suddenly that blasted Xiao Yan is there cuddling the queen. It makes you wonder whether Dong Hua was wishing they would switch places.

what was in those letters that could cause the demon and ghoul clans to search for the missing bride? 

High Deity Bai Qian expressed admiration for Dijun's methods. She said when Dijun couldn't find her in Qingqiu that day, he instantly returned to Jiuchongtian and seized two royal mandates from Tianjun, then had the elderly fairies send them in conjunction with the Yupu seal from Taichen Palace to the Demon Clan and the Ghoul Clan. As soon as the seven Demon Lords and Ghoul King Lijing received his order, they at once helped to search for her within their respective territory. Bai Qian had no idea what was exactly written in those mandates. (PB2, 441) 

Those would be mandates from Tianjun to the leaders of the vassal territories of Demon and Ghoul realms to search Bai Feng Jiu, reinforced by the Tai Chen palace Yupu seal.

Why from Tianjun, and not directly Dong Hua? It is because Tianjun is the ruler of Heaven, and the vassal states of the Demons and Ghouls. These two tribes lost in the wars, so they're under celestials even if they have self-government. 

Bai Qian says she doesn't know the exact contents of the mandates. We can only guess, but it would surely be orders the ghouls and demons can never refuse. One thing for sure, the ghouls and demons were obliged to report any sightings of FJ in their realms, or any clues they might have found of her whereabouts.

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched episode 6. It is kind of an unpleasant realization to know that I can’t exactly blame Dong Hua for scolding Feng Jiu here.

His pet fox bit a friendly princess. And had been unfriendly toward Jiheng ever since she arrived.

i know Jiheng was wrong to steal credit, but I also can’t deny that she did try to rekindle friendship with Feng Jiu. 
The good thing about this episode is that Feng Jiu finally wakes up! She can’t be Dong Hua’s girlfriend when she is a pet!!! Though I admit, the fact that she keeps trying to cling to Dong Hua when he is engaged was kind of irksome. There are more important things to think about. Like running away from a snow lion instead of reaching for a collar! Or leaving a palace when it becomes clear her crush is getting married, not trying to impress him by fixing his drawing.

i just don’t like how these girls keep trying to win over a boy when it is clear he likes someone else. For example, later when Jiheng tries to sabotage a relationship when it becomes clear a Dong Hua likes Feng Jiu. or when Zhihe keeps butting in after wedding announcements.
Seriously, just move on! Don’t become obsessive. It will ruin you.

But then, love is love. At least Feng Jiu finally came to her senses and knew it was time to go. 

• Like 1