[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

13 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Tmopb really ruined the story of DH and FJ. Many westerners don’t understand that stories don’t “continue” like their season 1, season 2 series in the west. Not in novel series adaptation. This was partly due to not having license for Pillow Book. But they took their no fate part of the book and completely wrote something from that. 

The important things to understand about the Pillow Book are the following points.

1) Dong Hua and Feng Jiu had zero fate at the start of their story. This was why they never formally met. And all that heart pain for Feng Jiu ensued.

2) Feng Jiu earned that “thin” line of destiny by sending half her shadow to Fan Yin Valley to repay her debt to him. 

3) When her shadow (aranya) failed to repay said debt, destiny took pity and rewrote their destiny, putting the unfulfilled destiny of Shen Ye and Aranya onto them, allowing them to meet formally at her aunt’s wedding.

4) They met at Wang Sheng Hai in Qing Qiu when she emerged out of it.

5) She made the biggest impression on Dong Hua when she kicked the flowerpot towards his head and blamed it on Mi Gu

The rest you know is history. Slowly but surely the former master of the universe fell deeply in love.

Sadly, some expect that succeeding seasons should be continuations to previous seasons. Uhm, the titles are even different...:wacko:

Sometimes, I don't really want to read comments anymore in soc med. :lol: It can get exasperating, yet can also be so entertaining. :lol:

Another would be DH did not get injured and suffer enough for his miscues, yet won't point fingers at JH as the instigator of many misfortunes between and for DH and FJ. :sweatingbullets: Ay yah, how bloodthirsty or how selective in what to overlook viewers can be. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ninky said:

Tmopb really ruined the story of DH and FJ. Many westerners don’t understand that stories don’t “continue” like their season 1, season 2 series in the west. Not in novel series adaptation. This was partly due to not having license for Pillow Book. But they took their no fate part of the book and completely wrote something from that. 

The important things to understand about the Pillow Book are the following points.

1) Dong Hua and Feng Jiu had zero fate at the start of their story. This was why they never formally met. And all that heart pain for Feng Jiu ensued.

2) Feng Jiu earned that “thin” line of destiny by sending half her shadow to Fan Yin Valley to repay her debt to him. 

3) When her shadow (aranya) failed to repay said debt, destiny took pity and rewrote their destiny, putting the unfulfilled destiny of Shen Ye and Aranya onto them, allowing them to meet formally at her aunt’s wedding.

4) They met at Wang Sheng Hai in Qing Qiu when she emerged out of it.

5) She made the biggest impression on Dong Hua when she kicked the flowerpot towards his head and blamed it on Mi Gu

The rest you know is history. Slowly but surely the former master of the universe fell deeply in love.

Honestly, when I rewatched TMOPB, I am curious on the continuation of DH and FJ's story with the whole rock thing. 

Good thing, I forgot the story of TMOPB when I watched ELoD.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, triplesung said:

Honestly, when I rewatched TMOPB, I am curious on the continuation of DH and FJ's story with the whole rock thing. 

Me too. I know that TMOPB version is not the real thing and I do love ELoD version much more. But it would be interesting to see how DH and FJ' story would continue TMOPB. I tried reading some fanfiction, but I have yet to find one that seems to stay in character.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, triplesung said:

I had to get used with the different hairstyles of DH and LS! :lol: Though when ELOD was first aired, I was wondering too if it will pick up from TMOPB, or by the book.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

Me too. I know that TMOPB version is not the real thing and I do love ELoD version much more. But it would be interesting to see how DH and FJ' story would continue TMOPB. I tried reading some fanfiction, but I have yet to find one that seems to stay in character.

Another confession I have to make.... I thought ELoD was the sequel to Ashes of Love so I was looking if DL will appear :joy: And then voila, DHDJ stole my heart and has never returned it since.

I have read a few fanfics as well but most of them have not been updated for years :joy:

26 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I had to get used with the different hairstyles of DH and LS! :lol: Though when ELOD was first aired, I was wondering too if it will pick up from TMOPB, or by the book.

I prefer the hair styles in ELoD than TMOPB. DH just looks hilarious in that top knot in TMOPB. He does not look menacing and cold at all. He looked more like a baby who got their bottle stolen. :joy: tumblr_inline_plmrsmoool1tp8tnp_540.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Sadly, some expect that succeeding seasons should be continuations to previous seasons. Uhm, the titles are even different...:wacko:

Sometimes, I don't really want to read comments anymore in soc med. :lol: It can get exasperating, yet can also be so entertaining. :lol:

Another would be DH did not get injured and suffer enough for his miscues, yet won't point fingers at JH as the instigator of many misfortunes between and for DH and FJ. :sweatingbullets: Ay yah, how bloodthirsty or how selective in what to overlook viewers can be. 

I am not sure if some viewers understand how much effort and risk DH had made just for FJ.

He was willing to forgo his main purpose in life, to protect the world, for a chance to save FJ.

• Like 4
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, triplesung said:

I prefer the hair styles in ELoD than TMOPB. DH just looks hilarious in that top knot in TMOPB. He does not look menacing and cold at all. He looked more like a baby who got their bottle stolen. :joy: 

Hahaha, this is my favourite look of his in TMOPB! The top knot plus him in all white. :tounge_wink: He looked cold, but he also looked a bit approachable. Compared to his demeanor when in his other dark, sombre costumes.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

30 minutes ago, triplesung said:

Another confession I have to make.... I thought ELoD was the sequel to Ashes of Love so I was looking if DL will appear :joy: And then voila, DHDJ stole my heart and has never returned it since.

I have read a few fanfics as well but most of them have not been updated for years :joy:

I prefer the hair styles in ELoD than TMOPB. DH just looks hilarious in that top knot in TMOPB. He does not look menacing and cold at all. He looked more like a baby who got their bottle stolen. :joy: 

Ashes of Love was my top drama until ELoD came along! 

FJ and DH are just too easy to love. Apart from their witty banter, I love that they spoil each other equally. I don't need to think too much to know why and how they

fell in love with each other. Also, the chemistry between Vengo and Reba is amazing. 

Yeah, I prefer the hair and costume in ELOD. Some how the robe DH wore in TMOPB annoyed me at times. I think it was the uneven layering that got me.

I am still fond of DL/Phoenix.  One day, I will go back and rewatch AoL. I am sure I will fall head over heels for him again.

44 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

@ChibiLy The hairstyles, makeup, and clothes changed, but all throughout, the expressive eyes was the constant in all lives. 

SY's sad eyes got to me. So heartbreaking to think how he wasted all his time, when he could have been with Aranya. The only silver lining is knowing that their suffering paved way for DH and FJ's future together. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I am not sure if some viewers understand how much effort and risk DH had made just for FJ.

He was willing to forgo his main purpose in life, to protect the world, for a chance to save FJ.

I think they miss that point, how important DH is in eight deserts and six directions compared to FJ. Funny LS was so alarmed when he discharged 90% of his energy, that didn't count at all?

Though it's true that the fruit being given away to somebody else made FJ steal what she had won, why aren't they equally laying blame to JH whose lies to FJ gave the shove? JH made up that story that DH decided to give the fruit to her the night before the contest. In reality she asked DH for what FJ won only after the competition. Then she even tells FJ to go away from DH. Luh?

Even if JH said it will cure her cold poisoning, at all the hundreds of years that she was in FV, why didn't she ask DH if he could help her ask the queen for the fruit? Why time it when there's already a rightful owner of the fruit. She is so petty. She proves her worth as a demoness.

Like I said, selective blaming, selective who to exonerate, or didn't truly get what was depicted. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

4 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I think they miss that point, how important DH is in eight deserts and six directions compared to FJ. Funny LS was so alarmed when he discharged 90% of his energy, that didn't count at all?

Though it's true that the fruit being given away to somebody else made FJ steal what she had won, why aren't they equally laying blame to JH whose lies to FJ gave the shove? JH made up that story that DH decided to give the fruit to her the night before the contest. In reality she asked DH for what FJ won only after the competition. Then she even tells FJ to go away from DH. Luh?

Even if JH said it will cure her cold poisoning, at all the hundreds of years that she was in FV, why didn't she ask DH if he could help her ask the queen for the fruit? Why time it when there's already a rightful owner of the fruit. She is so petty. She proves her worth as a demoness.

Like I said, selective blaming, selective who to exonerate, or didn't truly get what was depicted. 

Good point. Alot of FJ's suffering originated from JH. Perhaps because JH's behaviours are more manipulative, it is harder for some to see how she is the actual cause?

For international viewers like me, I definitely think some information was lost in translation.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:
56 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

SY's sad eyes got to me. So heartbreaking to think how he wasted all his time, when he could have been with Aranya. The only silver lining is knowing that their suffering paved way for DH and FJ's future together. 

If only SY got LS and XY like Meng Shao. All those times when he could have told Aranya what he feels for her, and what he's going to do for her. DH made this mistake of not telling FJ about the urgency of Huiming realm and Miao Lou before their wedding. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChibiLy said:

Good point. Alot of FJ's suffering originated from JH. Perhaps because JH's behaviours are more manipulative, it is harder for some to see how she is the actual cause?

For international viewers like me, I definitely think some information was lost in translation.

I think so too, as the subs are sometimes off in sentence construction, some spellings, and some words used. I haven't yet forgotten that darn "eclosion". DH was turned into an insect! :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

5 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

If only SY got LS and XY like Meng Shao. All those times when he could have told Aranya what he feels for her, and what he's going to do for her. DH made this mistake of not telling FJ about the urgency of Huiming realm and Miao Lou before their wedding. 

Such a typical male lead character right? Take on everything and not tell the female lead crucial information, just so she won't have to worry! It definitely cost DH big time. Interestingly. I still see alot of that happening in the real world. Please people. Communication is crucial for a good relationship!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I think so too, as the subs are sometimes off in sentence construction, some spellings, and some words used. I haven't yet forgotten that darn "eclosion". DH was turned into an insect! :joy:

I had to google that word because I just did not understand it.  :joy: Not the right word for our furry friend

Some of the subs are in "proper" English but apparently it was the wrong translation. For example, when the first went into Aranya's Dream, DH said they were engaged. But the translation was actually that they are married.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

10 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

Such a typical male lead character right? Take on everything and not tell the female lead crucial information, just so she won't have to worry! It definitely cost DH big time. Interestingly. I still see alot of that happening in the real world. Please people. Communication is crucial for a good relationship!

So true! I don't understand why some couples can't sit down and talk! Hubs and I are quiet people but with each others' company, we comfortably chat with just about anything. Some couples, they wait till they've so many grudges, they can't talk anymore except to fight! 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

15 minutes ago, triplesung said:

I had to google that word because I just did not understand it.  :joy: Not the right word for our furry friend

Some of the subs are in "proper" English but apparently it was the wrong translation. For example, when the first went into Aranya's Dream, DH said they were engaged. But the translation was actually that they are married.

As I remember, both engaged and married were used for the subs in that scene. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, Lmb Baby said:

oh can someone share the gdrive link again? sorry. Also, there are quite a few BGMs not released. ie when Xuanren was scolding FJ  she eloped with Qingti

IIRC, somebody has posted that it is in one of the comments in a YouTube channel that featured the OST and BGMs ELOD officially released. Try to check if the channel owner still has the link.

Hoping too that one of these days, the rest of the BGMs will be released.

• Like 3