[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

16 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Neither can SXR let his personal feelings and problems hinder his duties - that includes paying attention to his harem.

Not like he paid them much attention before. According to his brother, the emperor actually stayed away from women.

this just reminds me of how Dong Hua and Jiheng were painting while Feng Jiu the fox curled up in the doorway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Megan said:

Not like he paid them much attention before. According to his brother, the emperor actually stayed away from women.

this just reminds me of how Dong Hua and Jiheng were painting while Feng Jiu the fox curled up in the doorway.

He may stay away as much as he can, but he is still bound by duty to pay some attention to them, even if it's very little. Also, he had made a promise, to spend time with her on her birthday... Remember, JH also staged it quite well. I don't see how he could ignore her completely at a time like that?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

11 minutes ago, Megan said:

Concubines were often from influential families or are royalties themselves. The Dowager Empress will in a later episode say that when SXR chooses his empress, one criteria is that she's of good lineage.

The members of his harem may not be his personal choices, but as Emperor he welcomes them and can not really ignore them. FJ herself after becoming one doesn't object to him visiting the others, as that is expected of him.

There are a lot of parallels in ELOD. :)

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Concubines were often from influential families or are royalties themselves. The Dowager Empress will in a later episode say that when SXR chooses his empress, one criteria is that she's of good lineage.

This reminds me. If Chu Wan wasn’t exposed as a spy, would she have become the primary candidate of being empress? Since she is a princess and all? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Megan said:

This reminds me. If Chu Wan wasn’t exposed as a spy, would she have become the primary candidate of being empress? Since she is a princess and all? 

Technically she is, as she's presented as a princess from the other kingdom. She can actually pull it off if they wanted a presentable in etiquettes, well-groomed empress. 

On the other hand, they might prefer someone from the same kingdom as they are, not from the other kingdom they were warring with.

• Insightful 2

I finished episode 16! This is much better. But I’m confused about how Xuanren got drunk. Feng Jiu couldn’t use magic. So how did he get drunk?

and it’s annoying that the ending song soundtrack fades out! It’s a good thing the first 3 CDs work fine. I’m not gonna trade in for a new one because then i would probably have to rewatch 13-16 again to make sure they are fine.

2 minutes ago, Megan said:

I finished episode 16! This is much better. But I’m confused about how Xuanren got drunk. Feng Jiu couldn’t use magic. So how did he get drunk?

Make a lot of toasts and fill the glass frequently. You'll get somebody drunk in no time! :lol:

• LOL 1

28 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Make a lot of toasts and fill the glass frequently. You'll get somebody drunk in no time! :lol:

They must have skipped that. Because they barely touched their cups in that scene.

maybe this is why Dong Hua drinks tea instead of wine

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, Megan said:

They must have skipped that. Because they barely touched their cups in that scene.

maybe this is why Dong Hua drinks tea instead of wine

A seasoned warrior would always take care of what's in his cup. ^_^ Not that SXR isn't, but he was in a jolly mood and he was with FJ. FJ is also a seasoned drinker. Though not as good as auntie, pretty sure she can outdrink SXR.

• Like 1

In the restaurant scene, Jiheng was rude. We all agree. But why did she choose such a time and place? If she wanted to rub her cooking skills in, why not send Dong Hua food beforehand. Why give it to him when he is at a restaurant eating different food, when her excuse is that Jiuge’s cooking may not be suitable? Why make him eat it there and then instead of taking it back to his palace.

• Like 1
  • Unamused 2

2 hours ago, Megan said:

In the restaurant scene, Jiheng was rude. We all agree. But why did she choose such a time and place? If she wanted to rub her cooking skills in, why not send Dong Hua food beforehand. Why give it to him when he is at a restaurant eating different food, when her excuse is that Jiuge’s cooking may not be suitable? Why make him eat it there and then instead of taking it back to his palace.

Coz she's that desperate with her illusions in staking her "claim" to everyone? Even if there's nothing to hold on to. DH doesn't live in the same courtyard as hers anymore, so sending him food is awkward. Her chance to pretend and grasp straws are at the banquet, nevermind if she's rude and pushy.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, Megan said:

She wanted to demonstrate to everyone that she knows DH intimately, because she knows his taste and is willing to 'sacrifice' her health for him.

FJ is amazing. She may be impulsive at times, but she had the patience of a saint in that scene. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

She wanted to demonstrate to everyone that she knows DH intimately, because she knows his taste and is willing to 'sacrifice' her health for him.

FJ is amazing. She may be impulsive at times, but she had the patience of a saint in that scene. 

But why make him eat the soup right there and then? She could just say, teacher I made this soup for you to drink at your residence.

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

6 hours ago, Megan said:

But why make him eat the soup right there and then? She could just say, teacher I made this soup for you to drink at your residence.

It's JH's way of competing against FJ, and her attempt to show the other guests that DH will eat her soup even if he's in a banquet. He ate some, but what happened later is more interesting. He didn't hesitate using the soup vessel as rocket and lobbed it to XY...coz he didn't get a piece of the pastries FJ made. :lol:

6 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

She knows her manners. Even if she's known in Fanyin as Jiuge, FJ won't disgrace Qing Qiu over a rude guest. 

Side by side at the banquet, it's already obvious who is more fit to be DH's empress.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

It's JH's way of competing against FJ, and her attempt to show the other guests that DH will eat her soup even if he's in a banquet. He ate some, but what happened later is more interesting. He didn't hesitate using the soup vessel as rocket and lobbed it to XY...coz he didn't get a piece of the pastries FJ made. :lol:

That scene stays funny! I wish they'd have filmed it as it's in the book though. :lol:

10 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Coz she's that desperate with her illusions in staking her "claim" to everyone? Even if there's nothing to hold on to. DH doesn't live in the same courtyard as hers anymore, so sending him food is awkward. Her chance to pretend and grasp straws are at the banquet, nevermind if she's rude and pushy.

Rude, pushy...delusional, self-absorbed, narrow minded,... And the way she serves tea (or soup) makes me want to... :smashes:DJ, ever recoursfull, found excellent use for her soup though. I like XJ, but boy he had it coming! :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

51 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

That scene stays funny! I wish they'd have filmed it as it's in the book though. :lol:

Rude, pushy...delusional, self-absorbed, narrow minded,... And the way she serves tea (or soup) makes me want to... DJ, ever recoursfull, found excellent use for her soup though. I like XJ, but boy he had it coming! :lol:

Same! It would have been more funny if XY really fell downstairs and was bathed in soup! 

JH was being calculating too. She was kinda preening when DH mentioned that she shouldn't touch that vine ingredient for the soup. 

She's really rude to the host and other guests for bringing soup. She said DH isn't used to FJ's cooking. Then she said the food at the banquet might not suit him as well. So she brought soup, but only for one person. 

• Like 1
  • Unamused 2
  • Insightful 1

Just re-watched episode 2 and 3, DJ trolling SM and LS with his culinary skills.

I think the scene where LS is spellbound after eating FL's sorrowless cake had to be hard to shoot- It looks like SM is about to crack up after LS tried to feed it to "him." :loolz: I wonder how many times they came close to cracking their wigs. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

31 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Just re-watched episode 2 and 3, DJ trolling SM and LS with his culinary skills.

I think the scene where LS is spellbound after eating FL's sorrowless cake had to be hard to shoot- It looks like SM is about to crack up after LS tried to feed it to "him."  I wonder how many times they came close to cracking their wigs. 

They did laugh a lot during takes. They said so in their interviews, and there are sounds of laughter that can be heard BTS while they practice their lines. :lol:

Have you noticed in Ep24 Jiuchongtian gate scene that DH was grinning while LS was holding on to his laughter as he bowed? 

:Megalol:

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1