[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Finished episode 12

i gotta say, is it normal for concubines to enter the study? I am reminded of the restaurant scene when Jiheng brought soup for Dong Hua.

and regarding Zhou Mengxi...how do you think that trial would have gone down? How would the emperor have experienced with unrequited love with her? Would she refuse his advances? Have an affair? Run away?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Megan said:

i gotta say, is it normal for concubines to enter the study? I am reminded of the restaurant scene when Jiheng brought soup for Dong Hua.

Usually there are off limits areas in palaces and palace grounds, not only for concubines but for everyone except for those who has access to everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Megan said:

and regarding Zhou Mengxi...how do you think that trial would have gone down? How would the emperor have experienced with unrequited love with her? Would she refuse his advances? Have an affair? Run away?

He would have loved her, but she will not love him back no matter how much he tries to woe her. That's already bad itself, she doesn't have to do any of what you mentioned. Si Ming has said after all that it's also a trial for Zhou Mengxi, to live the rest of her life feeling trapped due to someone's affections.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Not gonna lie, even with the crappy auto-translated text, there were some portions and chapters that were so funny or that it really stung. The strange thing is that, it's auto-generated text, but I rather felt the connection of it being written by the same author of TPB.

Ok- you got me. Can you please share the link with me? I will give it another go :D

As DH told Nie Chuyin and heard by FJ's Bingcang attendees, his queen is equal to him. :lol: One of the best time DH shows how shameless he is, hahaha!

Dijun glanced at Nie Chuyin, then glanced to his side at Fengjiu and unhurriedly said, “Since she is my queen, she is naturally my equal. You've just said that you are her peer, then it's only of course you are also my peer. A duel between the two of us is obviously an exchange between peers. Which rule from Qingqiu's book of rituals would we be violating?”(PB2, p400)

I love that part in the book as well as the drama! I re-watched those scenes yesterday and it cracks me up everytime!

It entertains grandpa and also keeps him on his toes, hahaha! But hands down, DH is so patient with her.

He's patient, but then again;  he's got nothing but seas of time and FJ is his greatest source of amusement...:lol:

• Wiggle 1

2 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Ok- you got me. Can you please share the link with me? I will give it another go :D

Here you go, the link for the last chapter and 3rd section. Scroll down the page for the previous chapters and sections. :)

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/ujwvcuiqi1sk4VX23q9wvQ

6 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

He's patient, but then again;  he's got nothing but seas of time and FJ is his greatest source of amusement...:lol:

It's only right that the one who can be his only Empress...should be as trollish as the Emperor. :lol: 

I rather think DH is naturally playful, if only he did not have to grow up literally fighting everyone that wants to maul him or eat him.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

I always felt that too. How DH like to see what FJ will do next. One thing is for sure, DH will never be bored with FJ around!

DH have infinite patients for FJ. As long as it does not involve any other male, he probably finds her amusing in every way.

No he hasn't got time to be bored around her. She is the devil of Qing Qiu and she has promised to to teach him the games he's never played before...

Ahh I just love their date night in Aranya's dream :wub: FJ is adorable...treating DH as an ancient child...which in many ways I think he is. :lol:

Other males are a no go :isannoyed: They will meet terrible faiths, and even the half-wits realise this I'm sure... 

• LOL 2

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

He would have loved her, but she will not love him back no matter how much he tries to woe her. That's already bad itself, she doesn't have to do any of what you mentioned. Si Ming has said after all that it's also a trial for Zhou Mengxi, to live the rest of her life feeling trapped due to someone's affections.

If that’s the case, why did Feng Jiu have to run away with Qingti?

1 hour ago, Megan said:

If that’s the case, why did Feng Jiu have to run away with Qingti?

She's Bai Feng Jiu, while that role written by Si Ming is for Zhou Mengxi. The story changed when FJ helped SXR at the battlefield .

There's a big difference between Xiao Jiu and Zhou Mengxi - FJ truly cares for him even if SXR in the drama was just DH's mortal projection as he deep sleeps in Tai Chen Palace. She won't be able to be cold and indifferent.

In the drama, running away with the perceived rival of SXR is the best means to help DH experience unrequited love in his mortal trial to gain back his lost cultivation.

It would have been quite a punch in the gut for SXR, when the one he cares for also cares for him, but won't be faithful, nor is she willing to stay by his side.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

It is how obsessed I am with 三生三世 

That i actually bought a peach blossom charm. Then I saw a fox charm and I thought, I already have the peach blossom. Technically it appears in ELOD via Zhe Yan. I don’t need another charm. Besides, the fox charm has only one tail.

• Like 2

...considering how Xuanren had only one spot to look for his missing fairy, how many nights do you think he would have spent looking for her in the cold palace? 

Hmmm...when Zhe Yan says Dong Hua likes furry things, do you think he likes fluffy things? Fluffy fur? I’m picturing a baby rabbit....

sure he likes mighty animal steeds, but how furry are tigers? At least lions have manes...

1 hour ago, Megan said:

...considering how Xuanren had only one spot to look for his missing fairy, how many nights do you think he would have spent looking for her in the cold palace? 

It was the one spot left. That depends on how many people lives there. SXR delegated the searching task previously because he had other responsibilities as the state's emperor.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Hmmm...when Zhe Yan says Dong Hua likes furry things, do you think he likes fluffy things? Fluffy fur? I’m picturing a baby rabbit....sure he likes mighty animal steeds, but how furry are tigers? At least lions have manes...

ZY was describing generally what DH uses as steeds - fierce, furry mammals. As for his preference, what he likes as steeds doesn't have to be his favourite animal or the kind he wants as pets.

Male lions have manes, the females don't. 

Tigers are furry enough to be (illegally) hunted for their heads, skins and furs, turning the magnificent animals into pricy (illegal) tiger rugs.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Tigers are furry enough to be (illegally) hunted for their heads, skins and furs, turning the magnificent animals into pricy (illegal) tiger rugs.

I once saw a cow skin rug on holiday. I was honestly very surprised by how soft it was, but it was also very thin.

Dong Hua is apparently known for hunting rare animals, judging by Xiao Yan’s reaction to seeing a furry fox on Feng Jiu’s bed. The question is what does he do to them? I wonder if Dong Hua has ever hunted foxes before and what he did to them...fox pelts? Hope those are no longer in Taichen. Gun Gun would have nightmares!

safe to say foxes are his new favorite animal. Furry tails everywhere. 

38 minutes ago, Megan said:

Dong Hua is apparently known for hunting rare animals, judging by Xiao Yan’s reaction to seeing a furry fox on Feng Jiu’s bed. The question is what does he do to them? I wonder if Dong Hua has ever hunted foxes before and what he did to them...fox pelts? Hope those are no longer in Taichen. Gun Gun would have nightmares!

safe to say foxes are his new favorite animal. Furry tails everywhere. 

Does hunting of rare animals meant DH  searches and kills them for food or pelts? He can also be searching rare animals to rear.

As someone who reads on Buddhist literatures, and as a practitioner of it, hunting animals for the sake of decoration would have been the last thing he'll do.

• Insightful 1

37 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Does hunting of rare animals meant DH  searches and kills them for food or pelts? He can also be searching rare animals to rear.

As someone who reads on Buddhist literatures, and as a practitioner of it, hunting animals for the sake of decoration would have been the last thing he'll do.

I don’t really know much about Buddhism but that’s the first impression that comes to mind when I think of the word ‘hunt’.

but does Buddhism forbid animal pelts?

Edited by Megan

1 hour ago, Megan said:

I don’t really know much about Buddhism but that’s the first impression that comes to mind when I think of the word ‘hunt’.

but does Buddhism forbid animal pelts?

The word "hunt" has several meanings. Chasing and killing wild animal is just one of it.

Buddhism as far as I can recall forbids unnecessary killing of all living things in one of its precepts. You might want to research on it if animal pelts are frowned on by Buddhist practitioners.

You might also want to go back to Ep4 when Cheng Yu reprimanded Zhi He after catching her about to stab FJ. She did say something about harming and killing.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

might also want to go back to Ep4 when Cheng Yu reprimanded Zhi He after catching her about to stab FJ. She did say something about harming and killing.

Feng Jiu was human then, I don’t think that counts as hunting. I call it attempted murder.

According to a website, Buddhists adopt a sympathetic attitude to animals. The whole don’t give others the same treatment you dislike. 
now I’m confused because this makes me think they are vegetarians

no offense to any Buddhists present!

Edited by Megan

40 minutes ago, Megan said:

Feng Jiu was human then, I don’t think that counts as hunting.

FJ has never been a human. Lived with the humans in the mortal realm, but remained an immortal.

FJ was still a palace maid in Tai Chen at first half of Ep4. 

I didn't mean hunting anymore in that portion of my previous comment. It was already about the precept of Buddhist beliefs on unnecessary killing.

Why I mentioned that scene particularly, it's because someone was about to be hurt or killed if not for Cheng Yu's intervention. At the Tai Chen Palace gate. By the foster sister of Dong Hua. 

As a practitioner of the Buddhism, who annotates the Buddhist books for Buddha, it simply won't do for the place DH retreated to for peace and quiet, nor would he deserve the fallout if ZH wasn't stopped.

CY: "What mistake has the fairy maid made to irritate you so much? Even in the Sky Kingdom, hurting a fairy maid on purpose matters much, not to mention in the Tai Chen Palace. Zhi He, you'll have to think twice. Even though you don't care for anything else, you'll have to take the fame of His Majesty into account. Do you intend to make up more gossip to the rumors of His Majesty's taste for the killing to amuse people?"

ZH: "It was just a misunderstanding. A rumor doesn't make sense. Lord, for the sake of His Majesty, please make rumors end with the wise."

CY: "Since it's a misunderstanding, please look before you leap later, Zhi He."

ZH: "You're right Lord..."

• Insightful 2

5 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

FJ has never been a human. Lived with the humans in the mortal realm, but remained an immortal.

FJ was still a palace maid in Tai Chen at first half of Ep4. 

I didn't mean hunting anymore in that portion of my previous comment. It was already about the precept of Buddhist beliefs on unnecessary killing.

Why I mentioned that scene particularly, it's because someone was about to be hurt or killed if not for Cheng Yu's intervention. At the Tai Chen Palace gate. By the foster sister of Dong Hua. 

As a practitioner of the Buddhism, who annotates the Buddhist books for Buddha, it simply won't do for the place DH retreated to for peace and quiet, nor would he deserve the fallout if ZH wasn't stopped.

CY: "What mistake has the fairy maid made to irritate you so much? Even in the Sky Kingdom, hurting a fairy maid on purpose matters much, not to mention in the Tai Chen Palace. Zhi He, you'll have to think twice. Even though you don't care for anything else, you'll have to take the fame of His Majesty into account. Do you intend to make up more gossip to the rumors of His Majesty's taste for the killing to amuse people?"

ZH: "It was just a misunderstanding. A rumor doesn't make sense. Lord, for the sake of His Majesty, please make rumors end with the wise."

CY: "Since it's a misunderstanding, please look before you leap later, Zhi He."

ZH: "You're right Lord..."

Ah I see. I just thought they were referring to Dong Hua’s normal reputation. Nothing to do with Buddhism. Thanks.

and this exchange makes me wonder if Cheng Yu is higher in status than Zhihe.

Edited by Megan
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Megan said:

Ah I see. I just thought they were referring to Dong Hua’s normal reputation. Nothing to do with Buddhism. Thanks.

and this exchange makes me wonder if Cheng Yu is higher in status than Zhihe.

It has something to do with Buddhism.

Buddhists believe in ahimsa - doing no harm and being non-violent. It means avoiding any deliberate harming of any living thing and having a desire to bring about the greatest good.

Source:https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zc3c7ty/revision/5#:~:text=Buddhists believe in ahimsa - doing,bring about the greatest good.

Higher or lower in rank, Zhi He deserves censure with her behaviour. She won't even be a part of DH's household if not for his sense of gratitude to repay her parents.

• Insightful 1

Finished episode 13! finally some DongFeng action! Could have done without the Chu Wan interference though. That was just infuriating to watch.

I’d rather watch Xuanren chase after Xiao Jiu, especially learning about her old flame.

• Like 1