[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Rewatching scenes from the mortal trial. I feel so sorry for Mu Yun. She was Feng Jiu’s Friend when she was a maid and a concubine. But she was killed by that crazy Zhihe and I doubt her life in the Mortal World was good after Feng Jiu died. I wish she could become immortal again. It’s not fair her immortality was stripped from her for helping Feng Jiu. Where is her good karma? Better yet, Zhihe should have been punished more harshly. Who kills butterflies????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Fengjiu quietly slid off of Donghua's body and turned and slinked back to the arena. After several steps, Dijun's voice called to her from behind: “Xiao Bai, shouldn't you at least say sorry for biting me?” In his voice, she could clearly hear his teasing tone; for someone who had just been poked fun at, to be able to so confidently speak in this way, indeed could only be Dijun. Without looking back, Fengjiu dryly said, “Sorry I've bitten you.” Donghua was silent for a moment, then suddenly softly asked, “Are you truly sorry?” Fengjiu tripped and glared back in irritation. “What do I gain from lying to you?” Donghua contemplated for a moment, then, seeming puzzled, asked, “What else can one hope to gain from lying? Isn't it for your own gratification?” Fengjiu: “... fine, you win.” (Upper volume, chapter 11)

Adapted from Hamster's version (bolded is my added translation). When I went through the original text, I wondered why she would omit all these details, they make everything so much clearer, and she probably would have done a far better job than me. And imo, this one really changed the tone of the text. :cry:

Be aware that hamster’s tone is not Tang Qi’s its far more formal. Also she paraphrased too much and we lost Tang Qi’s original meaning and also the humour. Our translation will be retranslating some parts of the book as our blog staple after Lotus steps. 

I have also corrected several mistranslations. And yes this scene, he was clearly teasing her in the chinese version, but Feng Jiu was embarrassed because of it and so said ”I Lost” (direct translation) but contextual english meaning is “Fine...you win” but i prefer using “Fine...I lose” closer to intended meaning.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

9 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Thanks for your reply. :) That is why I compared the subtitles and prefered viki in most cases (so far) for Elod

So, when you get a chance to re-watch it on viki again...it may be fun to do so :lol: 

With TMOPB (watched on youtube and viki) I'd say it's 50/50. 

I remember watching Elod on Wetv and some sentences were really puzzling- like the translaters were fighting for the right words, now watching it elsewhere these sentences make much more sense. I think idioms are giving the translators the most headaches. 

Your right, on viki Di Jun is called Imperial lord. 

Like you, I prefer the viki version. Some sentences do no make sense on YouTube. However, I do watch it on YouTube, just so WeTv know how popular ELoD is.

• Like 4

Is anybody confused when Ali sneezed after Dong Hua suggest he see Lian Song to inquire about a lost handkerchief.

according to the Internet sneezing once suggests someone is talking good about you behind your back. That makes no sense

• LOL 1

22 minutes ago, Megan said:

Is anybody confused when Ali sneezed after Dong Hua suggest he see Lian Song to inquire about a lost handkerchief.

according to the Internet sneezing once suggests someone is talking good about you behind your back. That makes no sense

Yes that’s a popular urban legend that if you sneeze, someone is talking behind your back :blush:

• LOL 2

2 minutes ago, Megan said:

But Dong Hua isn’t talking behind Ali’s back.

If u look at it from that scene, that's probably Ali signalling that Dong Hua was fibbing to the old phoenix.

• LOL 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megan said:

I think it's more for comedic effect.

It is suppose to be a special handkerchief for Ali, but he used it to wipe his nose.

• LOL 3

14 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Question. I recently watched TMoPB again and compared subtitles between Viki and Croton media (youtube)

Currently I'm doing the same with ELOD, but which one is closest to the original? I spotted quite a few differences.

I know Viki works with volunteer teams and each show can be different in quality. imo the subtiling was better done with ELOD (no offense, it's still better then my Chinese ;) )

OMG, I don’t even know such things exist. This is why I love this forum so much. Even after 790 something pages I still get to learn new things :wub:
Alrighthy, time to binge watch the viki version now :rolleyes:

I think my level addiction is beyond help now. After countless repeat on wetv, who knows what happens after viki version :phew:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

13 minutes ago, Dreams87 said:

OMG, I don’t even know such things exist. This is why I love this forum so much. Even after 790 something pages I still get to learn new things :wub:
Alrighthy, time to binge watch the viki version now :rolleyes:

I think my level addiction is beyond help now. After countless repeat on wetv, who knows what happens after viki version :phew:

Turn on timed comments, I guarantee a super good laugh. I turn all subs off as its distracting for me but the timed comments was hilarious!!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

Sigh. To be honestly I hardly watched the beginning of the series. I couldn’t stand the sight of Feng Jiu acting as a naive pet. Actually I didn’t even realize the show had aired yet until just after the mortal trial. And even then I didn’t watch the full episodes, just the scenes I was eager to see.

i am waiting to buy the CD set before I watch the series in full. But with COVID, I don’t know when the CDs will be released...

7 hours ago, Megan said:

Rewatching scenes from the mortal trial. I feel so sorry for Mu Yun. She was Feng Jiu’s Friend when she was a maid and a concubine. But she was killed by that crazy Zhihe and I doubt her life in the Mortal World was good after Feng Jiu died. I wish she could become immortal again. It’s not fair her immortality was stripped from her for helping Feng Jiu. Where is her good karma? Better yet, Zhihe should have been punished more harshly. Who kills butterflies????

To be truth..Life  is not fair sometimes..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Megan said:

Sigh. To be honestly I hardly watched the beginning of the series. I couldn’t stand the sight of Feng Jiu acting as a naive pet. Actually I didn’t even realize the show had aired yet until just after the mortal trial. And even then I didn’t watch the full episodes, just the scenes I was eager to see.

i am waiting to buy the CD set before I watch the series in full. But with COVID, I don’t know when the CDs will be released...

FJ as a pet wasn't naive. If anything, she's charming, she writes (only with SM), DH leaves her letters, and she got guts.

She had good and funny times with SM.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I imagine them being this way after they got back together :). Picnics on the bed which he summons/carries around :)

LOL with that very handy bed. :lol: I love the artist's rendition on how he can't seem to help but stare at her.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

59 minutes ago, Megan said:

Sigh...there's a lot of hateful (especially from Nonreader of PB books) comments  from the fans especially in MDL most of the hate comments was from TMOPB fans who specifically a diehard fan of BQ/YH..you can take a look over there if you're curious about it.

But at least you just said "naive" which is indeed true about one of FJ's characters at the  beginning.

Compared to others comments in MDL yours is guite lenient and considerated.

Just remember that FJ is practically just a young adult( 16-18 yrs old )who always be pampered indulged by her family..she is the one and the only interbreeding descendent of red scarlets fox in Bai's clan..actually the only one in the world. 

She should've been the most spoiled or trouble child but..she wasn't. She is considerated, kind hearted ,mischievous lively and thoughtful.. that why she thinks she must do a repayment/return the favour of what DH's has done to her..save her from mountain lion..DH kindly providing her protected shield to protect her from danger so that she'll be safe make it home.

Actually i find FJ is kind of cute naive but still cute when she was a baby fox.

Remember when DH punished her to do a time-out on the rock for half an hour without knowing that DH is buy a time to roasted her Yam with the real fire .she's sulking because she still hungry after only eating half of half-cooked roasted yam...it so entertaining to read.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

FJ as a pet wasn't naive. If anything, she's charming, she writes (only with SM), DH leaves her letters, and she got guts.

She had good and funny times with SM.

She believed she was pregnant from a kiss...

• LOL 3