[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Just now, MayanEcho said:

It was unbelievably lazy of her. Then at the end of the book, she has more description plus photo about her than Tang Qi the author.

It's like an insult to Tang Qi's baby and to Tang Qi herself. 

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

In the translated text, it mentioned "Ji" was embroidered to the hanky's corner, so FJ thought this was from JH to DH. Nowhere else though in the translated text that it confirms that, only FJ concluding that way...or did we readers expected JH monogrammed, not just "Ji"?

I also kind of wanted to confirm whether the the hanky really a token from JiHeng..so @Ninky is there in Chinese text written as just an initial "Ji" on the hanky  or is there any text has mentioned or confirmed that the hanky was embroidered by JH? Did TQ have any clear texts in Chinese about the origin of the hanky because there wasn't anything mentioned in the hamsters translation.

If not...can I just assumed that the hanky was actually belong to DH and he was half done embroidered it.. Which originally he wanted to make a word of "JIU" as Feng Jiu :lol:

What? We all knew how handy DH is..he can do everything almost everything a supposedly a woman's chores..except cooking.

PB page 201

Prince Liansong watched the show from Yuanji Palace miles and miles
away. Being the renowned expert, he had a few questions he needed to ask
Donghua. “I think I've figured out what's going on. If you knew she is
upset because you turned her into a handkerchief, and realized you needed
to turn into one yourself to soften her anger, why did you conjure up a fake
kerchief
and upset her worse?”
Donghua looked down to the wrinkled fabric underneath his feet. If that
had been him, he'd be just as tragic as the piece of cloth. “I'm not stupid.”

PS :  or just like LS said the hanky was just a fake one (something DH conjures with magic) I think someone should asked TQ about the hanky"s origin.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

57 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Xiao Yan was damn mad the guy showed up accusing him of stealing his pet!!!!

Hahaha, he was insulted to the boot. He said DH was mad as if he had stolen heavenly maidens.

“You're not listening anymore? But it's interesting!” Yan Chiwu called after her. After only a few steps he caught up to her and rambled on again. “Ice Face rushed out to look for that fox and didn't have time to marry Jiheng. What a joke, he even came to my place asking for it. He thought I stole the animal. Do I look like someone who would kidnap foxes? If I was going to kidnap something, it should at least be Heavenly maidens. What an insult. I heard he still hasn't found it after 300 years of searching. If you ask me, that fox is as good as dead. I wonder what was so special about it for him to love it that much.” (PB1, p170)

Xiao Yan, she's right there in front of you, the special baby fox Dong Hua loves so much. Bai Feng Jiu, the reason why Dong Hua did not have the "time" to marry Ji Heng. :relaxed:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

20 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

I also kind of wanted to confirm whether the the hanky really a token from JiHeng..so @Ninky is there in Chinese text written as just an initial "Ji" on the hanky  or is there any text has mentioned or confirmed that the hanky was embroidered by JH? Did TQ have any clear texts in Chinese about the origin of the hanky because there wasn't anything mentioned in the hamsters translation.

If not...can I just assumed that the hanky was actually belong to DH and he was half done embroidered it.. Which originally he wanted to make a word of "JIU" as Feng Jiu :lol:

What? We all knew how handy DH is..he can do everything almost everything a supposedly a woman's chores..except cooking.

PB page 201

Prince Liansong watched the show from Yuanji Palace miles and miles
away. Being the renowned expert, he had a few questions he needed to ask
Donghua. “I think I've figured out what's going on. If you knew she is
upset because you turned her into a handkerchief, and realized you needed
to turn into one yourself to soften her anger, why did you conjure up a fake
kerchief
and upset her worse?”
Donghua looked down to the wrinkled fabric underneath his feet. If that
had been him, he'd be just as tragic as the piece of cloth. “I'm not stupid.”

PS :  or just like LS said the hanky was just a fake one (something DH conjures with magic) I think someone should asked TQ about the hanky"s origin.

@jimmylyneLet me just say that hanky had ji 姬 on it. It can't be fake as why would he conjure something with Ji Heng on it. In Chinese, Lian Song didn''t mean the hanky is fake, he meant why did he have to "pretend the hanky was him".

Also, 姬 Ji does not look close to Feng 凤 or 九 to be half embroidered.  Most chinese readers understood that it was a real hanky he used to pretend it was him. 

I will pull out lian song's words now for next post :)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

“我大约也看出来问题所在,其实,你既然晓得她是因你将她变成帕子而生气,也悟了自己也变成张帕子供她蹂躏她就消气了,为什么非要弄出张假的来诓她呢?”

Excerpt From: 公子, 唐七. “三生三世 枕上书.” 

"I can probably see where the problem is. Actually, since you guessed correctly that she is angry with you because you turned her into a hankerchief, and understood that turning yourself into one and letting her torture you will diminish her anger, why did you insist on messing around with a bogus version of the hankerchief to swindle her?"

What Lian Song meant was the hankerchief itself wasn't fake but that by using a fake version of himself as a hanky to swindle her, she became angrier!

@jimmylyne @MayanEcho 

If you left out the context of what Lian Song said about him understanding the fact that if DH had turned himself into a hanky, then it would be translated into simply " fake handkerchief".

But the thing is because Lian Song said that before the next line, then Lian Song didn't mean it as "fake handkerchief" but that what is fake is the handerchief is not Dong Hua at all but a bogus version of Dong Hua the handkerchief .

Get it?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Ninky said:

What Lian Song meant was the hankerchief itself wasn't fake but that by using a fake version of himself as a hanky to swindle her, she became angrier!

If I were FJ, I will iron DH the handkerchief, except he's too wise to turn into one. :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

5 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

If I were FJ, I will iron DH the handkerchief, except he's too wise to turn into one. :joy:

That's why he told Lian Song he isn't that dumb to really do it. And his reply confirms Lian Song meant DH the hanky was fake, not the hanky itself.

Though if I wasn't careful and read what Lian Song said in midsentence,  I will end up translating it in the wrong context as well

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

@jimmylyneLet me just say that hanky had ji 姬 on it. It can't be fake as why would he conjure something with Ji Heng on it. In Chinese, Lian Song didn''t mean the hanky is fake, he meant why did he have to "pretend the hanky was him".

Also, 姬 Ji does not look close to Feng 凤 or 九 to be half embroidered.  Most chinese readers understood that it was a real hanky he used to pretend it was him. 

I will pull out lian song's words now for next post :)

Thanks for the clarifications.

It kind of bothered to know that the hanky was from JH although DH didn't feel anything special about it..plus the color of the hanky is also purple( DH trademarks color) the same colour as one of DHs hanky that he used to wiped FJ face when she was deliriously ill in his bed after they purify Miaoyi chasm.

My earlier perspectives was because of this excerptions, mentioned that DH can do anything and so talented.

PB1 page 81/82

Later on, she found
out Donghua had been even handier than that. The incense used in

Taichen Palace was made with his own hands; the tea they drank was also
hand-grown; even the cups and wares were hand-crafted; and the wall-
screens in the palace were also hand-painted. She quietly weighed
everything in her mind. On one hand, she was proud of herself for her
excellent perception. On the other hand, she thought if she were to marry
him, they would save quite a lot of expenditures. The more she assessed,
the happier she became, and the more she liked Donghua.                                                     

When ZY explain that Ali has lost the embroidered handkerchief that was probably taken by DH...and then Viola..DH conjures the same hanky in his sleeve infont of FJ's very eyes..

PB1 page 76

She happily lay inside Donghua’s sleeve and waited for him to hand her
over to Zheyan. His long slender fingers indeed reached inside his sleeve,
but she had underestimated Donghua’s level of shamelessness. Passing by
her, his finger produced an exact replica that was also neatly folded. He
handed it over to Zheyan. “I picked up this one just now on the 33rd
Heaven. Is it yours?” he said as he spooned more incense into the burner.
He added, “If it’s not, you should visit Lord Liansong's Yuanji Palace.
Perhaps he picked it up.”

PS: Thanks for you efforts ....indulged and pampering us here..:kiss_wink:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Ninky said:

That's why he told Lian Song he isn't that dumb to really do it. And his reply confirms Lian Song meant DH the hanky was fake, not the hanky itself.

Good decision of DH, after FJ told him he'll be snapped like the dried twig. :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

2 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

Thanks for the clarifications.

It kind of bothered to know that the hanky was from JH although DH didn't feel anything special about it..plus the color of the hanky is also purple( DH trademarks color) the same colour as one of DHs hanky that he used to wiped FJ face when she was deliriously ill in his bed after they purify Miaoyi chasm.

My earlier perspectives was because of this excerptions, mentioned that DH can do anything and so talented.

PB1 page 81/82

Later on, she found
out Donghua had been even handier than that. The incense used in

Taichen Palace was made with his own hands; the tea they drank was also
hand-grown; even the cups and wares were hand-crafted; and the wall-
screens in the palace were also hand-painted. She quietly weighed
everything in her mind. On one hand, she was proud of herself for her
excellent perception. On the other hand, she thought if she were to marry
him, they would save quite a lot of expenditures. The more she assessed,
the happier she became, and the more she liked Donghua.                                                     

When ZY explanation that Ali has lost the embroidered handkerchief that was probably taken by DH...and then Viola..DH conjures the same hanky in his sleeve infont of FJ's very eyes..

PB1 page 76

She happily lay inside Donghua’s sleeve and waited for him to hand her
over to Zheyan. His long slender fingers indeed reached inside his sleeve,
but she had underestimated Donghua’s level of shamelessness. Passing by
her, his finger produced an exact replica that was also neatly folded. He
handed it over to Zheyan. “I picked up this one just now on the 33rd
Heaven. Is it yours?” he said as he spooned more incense into the burner.
He added, “If it’s not, you should visit Lord Liansong's Yuanji Palace.
Perhaps he picked it up.”

PS: Thanks for you efforts ....indulged and pampering us here..:kiss_wink:

no problem at all, like I said English to Chinese translation can be frustrating as it can go off context.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

So the hanky was a really a gift from Ji Heng.:bawling:

And sadly he used it to swindle her as he happened to have this particular hanky on him, deepening the misunderstanding.

Don''t forget their destiny in this part of the book is:

情深缘浅 ( Deep feelings (of love) but shallow fate ).

So unfortunately,  the plot device of Ji Heng must be played to the hilt.

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

So the hanky was a really a gift from Ji Heng.:bawling:

And sadly he used it to swindle her as he happened to have this particular hanky on him, deepening the misunderstanding.

Don''t forget their destiny in this part of the book is:

情深缘浅 ( Deep feelings (of love) but shallow fate ).

So unfortunately,  the plot device of Ji Heng must be played to the hilt.

It deepened the misunderstanding, even if for DH, presents are kept for practical usage. He doesn't see any more value to a handkerchief even if it's a work of art. He didn't hesitate to use it as pretend him. :lol:

It's touching that after 300 years DH also still have the cotton rose mallow paste made by baby fox FJ. That he used it to tend with FJ's injuries is so like a full circle - the gifter treated by the giftee of the gift she gifted him from so long ago.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

It deepened the misunderstanding, even if for DH, presents are kept for practical usage. He doesn't see any more value to a handkerchief even if it's a work of art. He didn't hesitate to use it as pretend him. :lol:

It's touching that after 300 years DH also still have the cotton rose mallow paste made by baby fox FJ. That he used it to tend with FJ's injuries is so like a full circle - the gifter treated by the giftee of the gift she gifted him from so long ago.

See the difference between the gift he holds dear and one he doesn’t care about? The paste vs the hanky.

Behind the sea of Fu Ling flowers, a red fox is what’s beyond it!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Ninky said:

See the difference between the gift he holds dear and one he doesn’t care about? The paste vs the hanky.

Behind the sea of Fu Ling flowers, a red fox is what’s beyond it!

Plus he told FJ the paste was made by the baby fox he used to have. In both book and series, I was like aww, he really adored the fox to still remember her and keep her present after all the years! 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

21 hours ago, Ninky said:

I have noticed it quite a bit when you guys post quotes from the translated version. That’s when i will cut and paste chinese version and retranslate from there.

I did not finish the English translated version as I found the humour better in the Chinese version hehe.

The mood of the book is really humorous and light hearted :)

This is why I like the Pillowbook because its a very light read. Not too much angst or drama. Pure fluff at every page.

9 hours ago, Ninky said:

I am considering translating all the famous scenes from Fan Yin Valley when I have time as part of our blog content. This will be a project for me in the future. For now, I am working hard on Lotus Step together with two other members of our translation team :blush:

Yes please :love: Whenever you are ready for it. I'll try to be patient. But ofc, Lotus Step is also something I look forward to.

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Plus he told FJ the paste was made by the baby fox he used to have. In both book and series, I was like aww, he really adored the fox to still remember her and keep her present after all the years! 

I guess it wasn't a lie when he said he fell in love at first sight for FJ.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, triplesung said:

I guess it wasn't a lie when he said he fell in love at first sight for FJ

The baby fox of DH was special for him from the very first. :wub: DH's thoughts at Ep53 and in PB2, p418 at Bihai Cangling/Holy Blue Sea:

When Miaoluo remarked that there was a sea of Fulings in his heart and she wondered who was hidden behind it, he already knew the hidden one was a little red fox. Though it wasn't romantic love at the time, she was already special to him.

• Like 4
  • Love 2