[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

4 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Mi Gu is one of the adorables, hehehe. He gave BQ a twig before she left for the banquet for the baby of one of the Sea Kings, as she's hopeless with directions! :lol: 

Mi Gu won't cook, ever, because fire scares him, hahaha. 

After losing her eyes in Nine Heavens is the reason why she lost her sharp vision. 

All foxes have keen sight. That was why she needed help from Mi Gu. No thanks to that witch, Su Jin.

She got back her original keen vision in the end.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

33 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Felt it more in Chinese. Chinese generally needs fewer words to express the same feelings, it somehow strikes harder at me in the original. I cried so much reading it. And I still cry reading it after many many re-reads. I wish some of you will one day master the language, then you'd have access to more literature.

Wider literature range, more stories to read - these are good motivations for learning how to read, write, and converse in another language. ;)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ninky said:

After losing her eyes in Nine Heavens is the reason why she lost her sharp vision. 

All foxes have keen sight. That was why she needed help from Mi Gu. No thanks to that witch, Su Jin.

She got back her original keen vision in the end.

In PB1, p51, BQ is described as having bad eyesight? At the banquet where she and FJ roasted the plans of Tianjun to pardon Zhi He. FJ later on got drunk and told DH that for him, she was just a pet.

His eyes incidentally paused on a scowling Fengjiu who was now following Bai Qian into the garden. She wore a white dress, her hair adorned with a white flower pin. Her expression was icy cold. When she didn’t talk, she looked rather nice and proper. 

Bai Qian had bad eyesight but Fengjiu’s was excellent. With one glance she could tell Donghua was leaning against his chair looking at her from behind the verdure.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

In PB1, p51, BQ is described as having bad eyesight? At the banquet where she and FJ roasted the plans of Tianjun to pardon Zhi He. FJ later on got drunk and told DH that for him, she was just a pet.

His eyes incidentally paused on a scowling Fengjiu who was now following Bai Qian into the garden. She wore a white dress, her hair adorned with a white flower pin. Her expression was icy cold. When she didn’t talk, she looked rather nice and proper. 

Bai Qian had bad eyesight but Fengjiu’s was excellent. With one glance she could tell Donghua was leaning against his chair looking at her from behind the verdure.

That was incorrectly translated. I caught this glaring error a while back. Let me retranslate it for everyone.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I wonder how one feels when the great Dijun is staring at them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, triplesung said:

I wonder how one feels when the great Dijun is staring at them.

And before that, LS bagua is talking about FJ being a red fox to DH, and whether DH is fighting XY again due to the red furred baby fox he lost three hundred years ago. He had thought that baby fox was stolen by XY, DH went to demon realm to search.

Foxes also got sharp ears...FJ wanted to retreat but BQ prevented her from leaving. (PB1, p52)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

By leaving out two words, the meaning is now off in the english version.

“白浅的眼睛从前不大好,凤九跟着她时譬如她的另一双眼睛,练就一副极好的眼力”

Excerpt from
三生三世 枕上书
唐七公子

“Bai Qian’s eyesight used to be poor in the past, so when Feng Jiu was with her, she became her vision guide, and this trained her keen eyesight...”

Three Lives Three Worlds, The Pillow Book. Tang Qi Gong Zi.

The whole line had been mistranslated. The meaning has been changed as a result. Note that the bolded part in chinese is “in the past, used to be”.

So obviously after she got her eyes put back after ripping it back from Su Jin, her original keen fox vision was restored .

This is why I never forget the context when translating. It’s very important.

Taking out some info or omitting it is dangerous :).

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Excerpt from
三生三世 枕上书
唐七公子

“Bai Qian’s eyesight used to be poor in the past, so when Feng Jiu was with her, she became her vision guide, and this trained her keen eyesight...”

Thanks @Ninky

This is so totally different from what was in the translated text. It made BQ visually weak even after taking back her eyes.

Other than that, I love the tandem of BQ and FJ. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Thanks @Ninky

This is so totally different from what was in the translated text. It made BQ visually weak even after taking back her eyes.

Other than that, I love the tandem of BQ and FJ. 

Correct but if it had been translated as per Tang Qi’s original, it won’t have given off the vibe. Omitting just those 2 words is enough to cause a misinterpretation of the content. 

Tang Qi is saying that as Feng Jiu used to stay with Bai Qian, she became her visual guide. That’s why she was trained to have even keener eyes. And that was when BQ had not gotten her eyes back from Su Jin yet. So FJ can tell DH was staring at her behind the  verdure because of extra keen vision.

BQ had her full vision restored after Ye Hua went into a deep sleep. (Of course everyone thought him dead).

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, Ninky said:

Also in the book, the starlight ward is totally transparent. People can see what's going on inside. By this time, more people would have arrived to try to help. Bai Qian and hubby + Mo Yuan + BFF YCW were there breaking the ward from the outside. 

Quite a few people would have witnessed Dong Hua shedding tears for the first time in their lives. Such a heartrending touching moment.

They'll realize how he isn't so cold after all like his facial expressions.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

The ELOD trailer and its BGM arrangement still give goosebumps even after watching all episodes several times over. :)

ELOD trailer deserves a separate fanbase.. i forgot how many times I watched it on repeat, it feels like a beautiful xianxia short story of it's own that gives u Goosebumps Everytime u watch it..

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 6/2/2020 at 8:18 PM, Ninky said:

It was not slightly jealous but was TOTALLY  jealous. He backed away a bit and then leaned forward when she blurted out her foiled grand theft plans! :blush:

I love the book version where things were made more obvious, the moment FJ mentions YCW, rain stars hammering down the ward. But the moment truth is revealed, rain starts falling down softly.. I love how cleverly TQ used DH influence on elements to show his moods, it's very fitting for majestic DH..

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Aari sky said:

ELOD trailer deserves a separate fanbase.. i forgot how many times I watched it on repeat, it feels like a beautiful xianxia short story of it's own that gives u Goosebumps Everytime u watch it..

Even the teaser, the BGM just compels. I was so, so happily surprised when I first saw it, as it was again a random search of TMOPB sequel. I only had to wait a couple of weeks after TMOPB and reading Pillow Book. Happy moments too upon seeing familiar faces. :wub:

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, triplesung said:

They'll realize how he isn't so cold after all like his facial expressions.

His bloody and violent background, then being the highest deity handling life and death in all realms gave him that icy facade. With the right person, he can be as openly warm and loving as SXR. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

His bloody and violent background, then being the highest deity handling life and death in all realms gave him that icy facade. With the right person, he can be as openly warm and loving as SXR. 

Maybe not that openly but definitely warm. :relaxed:  Him trying to keep things to himself is one of his many flaws and he'll probably slowly change that for good now that he has a very scary sweet and loving wife.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, triplesung said:

Maybe not that openly but definitely warm. :relaxed:  Him trying to keep things to himself is one of his many flaws and he'll probably slowly change that for good now that he has a very scary sweet and loving wife.

Definitely lesson learned as it kept them 200 years apart. Not just for DH and FJ, to any couples too who aren't in good terms due to communication issues. (We all have that friend or two with that kind of problem) -_-

FJ in the series asked him in the starlight ward not to push her away anymore. DH previously made the colossal mistake that in his wish to keep her happy and unworried for the wedding, he kept from her the impending ML problems, exacerbated by JH's planned shenanigans. FJ didn't even know the FV folks were evacuated or that Meng Shao died with the other royals who stayed.

For DH's wishes to protect her, he overlooked the facts that as young as FJ was, she was a monarch of her own right, and facing dangers for her subjects isn't foreign to her. The battle of ML though had shown DH why FJ is his destined empress: she matches him in determination to protect whom they live and care for, and loves him more than enough to want to be with him always, in life or death.

Spoiler

I think this song's just for them :wub: 

YOU ARE THE REASON by Calum Scott

There goes my heart beating
'Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now

There goes my mind racing
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing
I'm hopeless now

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

There goes my hands shaking
And you are the reason
My heart keeps bleeding
I need you now, oh

If I could turn back the clock
I'd make sure the light defeated the dark
I'd spend every hour, of every day oh
Keeping you safe

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
That you are the reason

I don't wanna fight no more
I don't wanna hide no more (you are)
I don't wanna to cry no more come back, I need you to hold me (that you are the reason)
A little closer now, just a little closer now
Come a little closer, I need you to hold me tonight

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
'Cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

• Like 3
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Definitely lesson learned as it kept them 200 years apart. Not just for DH and FJ, to any couples too who aren't in good terms due to communication issues. (We all have that friend or two with that kind of problem) -_-

FJ in the series asked him in the starlight ward not to push her away anymore. DH previously made the colossal mistake that in his wish to keep her happy and unworried for the wedding, he kept from her the impending ML problems, exacerbated by JH's planned shenanigans. FJ didn't even know the FV folks were evacuated or that Meng Shao died with the other royals who stayed.

For DH's wishes to protect her, he overlooked the facts that as young as FJ was, she was a monarch of her own right, and facing dangers for her subjects isn't foreign to her. The battle of ML though had shown DH why FJ is his destined empress: she matches him in determination to protect whom they live and care for, and loves him more than enough to want to be with him always, in life or death.

Reveal hidden contents

I think this song's just for them :wub: 

YOU ARE THE REASON by Calum Scott

There goes my heart beating
'Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now

There goes my mind racing
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing
I'm hopeless now

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
That you are the reason

There goes my hands shaking
And you are the reason
My heart keeps bleeding
I need you now, oh

If I could turn back the clock
I'd make sure the light defeated the dark
I'd spend every hour, of every day oh
Keeping you safe

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
That you are the reason

I don't wanna fight no more
I don't wanna hide no more (you are)
I don't wanna to cry no more come back, I need you to hold me (that you are the reason)
A little closer now, just a little closer now
Come a little closer, I need you to hold me tonight

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
'Cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

I have the song on my Playlist and I always think of DH when I hear it too!

I believe from that experience, FJ have learnt to be up front with her feelings and be more direct with DH too. DH have 300,000+ years of ingrained behaviour to undo. It isn't easy, but with some help from his cute wife, he will get there.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Ninky said:

By leaving out two words, the meaning is now off in the english version.

Excerpt from
三生三世 枕上书
唐七公子

Three Lives Three Worlds, The Pillow Book. Tang Qi Gong Zi.

The whole line had been mistranslated. The meaning has been changed as a result. Note that the bolded part in chinese is “in the past, used to be”.

So obviously after she got her eyes put back after ripping it back from Su Jin, her original keen fox vision was restored .

This is why I never forget the context when translating. It’s very important.

Taking out some info or omitting it is dangerous :).

This makes a hugh difference! Have you noticed any other major mistranslated sentences in the book?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Aari sky said:

I love the book version where things were made more obvious, the moment FJ mentions YCW, rain stars hammering down the ward. But the moment truth is revealed, rain starts falling down softly.. I love how cleverly TQ used DH influence on elements to show his moods, it's very fitting for majestic DH..

I wished this was in the drama. It adds to how powerful DH is. I guess it added to the CGI cost and would have blown the budget?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ChibiLy said:

I have the song on my Playlist and I always think of DH when I hear it too!

I believe from that experience, FJ have learnt to be up front with her feelings and be more direct with DH too. DH have 300,000+ years of ingrained behaviour to undo. It isn't easy, but with some help from his cute wife, he will get there.

The song is so heartfelt, both solo and duet versions! It's just so DH, and also so FJ, for the line "and fix what I've broken". :love: 

DH will get there, there's no way he'll want to miss his wife again and their little boy. Lie detector BGG and FJ's sweets will help, hahaha!

It's already very telling that rather than continuously sleep for 500 years, he instead chose to seclude for some months every year for a thousand year to fully recover. :blush:

• Like 3