[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Another fine discussion I am currently following and would like to get your input here as well.

Differences in PB and ELoD re DH identity in Aranya's dream. In PB, FJ lost her memory and see DH as XZ. She then fell in love with XZ and consummated her marriage to XZ, with DH still assuming the identity of XZ. 

In ELoD, FJ remembers DH and know that XZ is actually DH. The person she consummated with was DH.

So, which version do you girls like better? And why? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Yori Ten said:

Another fine discussion I am currently following and would like to get your input here as well.

Differences in PB and ELoD re DH identity in Aranya's dream. In PB, FJ lost her memory and see DH as XZ. She then fell in love with XZ and consummated her marriage to XZ, with DH still assuming the identity of XZ. 

In ELoD, FJ remembers DH and know that XZ is actually DH. The person she consummated with was DH.

The ELOD version, because both knows who the other actually is, even if they are Aranya and Xi Ze in the dream arc.

Consummation is a time of being vulnerable, and being open to the partner. In PB, FJ thought DH is really Xi Ze. And there goes in the issue of impersonation, which is akin to rape/abuse in some places.

Though DH doesn't mind, saying him as Xi Ze she had fallen for doesn't matter as it's still him she loved, readers and FJ would and not be receptive to his logic.

In ELOD, it's a true coming together after years and years of loss and disappointments. Noting that in previous lives as SXR and CY, and that of baby fox FJ as DH's pet, circumstances barred consummation to ever happen in all those times.

In Aranya's dream, DH and FJ are finally able to let each other know how they feel. Hence, their consummation is of mutual love, and it's honest and right in every ways for DH and FJ.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4

2 hours ago, Yori Ten said:

Both versions have their charm. In the book, Fengjiu fell in love with the same person again ignoring his true identity. Donghua has an advantage since he knows everything about her. It hurts a bit to see her fall for Xize. Even if as a reader we know the truth and she kinda like him because Xize has the same personality as Donghua. It's add layers to the plot.

The drama removes this additional lie or manipulation, depends on how you see it and lets us enjoy their moment of sincerity, of doubt , their love coming to fruition by being themselves. It's not repressed memories but a reality that they live together.

I like Fengjiu and Xize but I was happy the drama gave us Fengjiu and Donghua instead.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

On 3/7/2020 at 8:59 AM, SC2019 said:

Earlier I commented that in the book, DH was all alone in his efforts to look for her whereas in the drama, he had friends helping him, which made him a less lonely figure

Technically in the book, he had the heaven clan, ghoul clan and demon also searching

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Megan said:

Technically in the book, he had the heaven clan, ghoul clan and demon also searching

true - the impression I got was that while he delegated some tasks, he still went personally to ask FJ's family, whereas in the drama, it got delegated to LS. Perhaps, that meant something to me, that's all.

• Like 4

@MayanEcho

Thanks for your insight! Personally, I prefer TQ's version because she proved to us readers that in FJ's love life, there is always just one true love, one man, one DH. But at the same time, TQ also made us see FJ as a woman that is not a slave of love. She knows when to let go and when to move on. Instead of being trapped by her non recicopral love, FJ found the courage to pursue love again. 

She went after DH with all her heart, hoping he would at least notice her existence. But alas, fate was cruel to her. She did all she could, she got not only her heart broken but was also physically injured. She said that all efforts were in vain and her conducts were unbecoming of a Queen if Qing Qiu.

In Aranya's dream, she was attracted to XZ because he reminded her so much of DH. In a way, yes, she rebounded with XZ. One can even go as far as saying that she replaced the love she has for DH with XZ. But how can she not? XZ after all is DH and as SMY told her so, she likes XZ because he is the type of man DH is.

The point here is, while FJ may think she is totally over DH, the fact is her heart still gravitates towards XZ, who is the mirror of DH tells us that her love for DH is eternal across all forms and shapes, across all worlds and all lifetime. No matter where she is or who she is with, the only one true love, always have been and always will be DH.

The reason why I think the adaptation removed this part is because many feel this storyline is confusing. And without reading the book, it will be quite difficult to understand the reasoning and why FJ suddenly after risking her life and reputation to chase DH, could just switch off that love and submit to XZ.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 6

38 minutes ago, LovelyLady said:

The drama removes this additional lie or manipulation, depends on how you see it and lets us enjoy their moment of sincerity, of doubt , their love coming to fruition by being themselves. It's not repressed memories but a reality that they live together.

I like Fengjiu and Xize but I was happy the drama gave us Fengjiu and Donghua instead.

This, I very much agree with. Their love is more straightforward in the drama. The book gave us a deeper insight into their cruel fate but the drama gave us sweetness and mutual affections by being themselves. The book is much more sinister to their fate and hurt them much much more. Due to his lie and manipulation, TQ made him suffer a great loss. He was tortured for 200 years, searching aimlessly for his FJ. The drama gave us a feeling of romance and light heartedness. Even during the 200 years, he got his bros helping him out.

• Like 9

I totally agree with @MayanEcho

I can see it from DH's perspective.

I liked the ELoD version. I felt like DH made an conscious effect, and took FJ's emotions and needs in his decisionmaking. He tried to be as honest as possible, but alot of events worked against him.

Whereas DH in the novel made conscious decision to "lie" to FJ  altering FJ's 'reality'. Which striped away her decision making based on the truth. I felt DH didn't trust FJ enough to tell her the truth and was scared of what she would decide.

• Like 5

Let’s keep the board going

Why many viewers, including myself, continue to hold on ELOD, after the serial is over? Perhaps, as I discussed in detail on page 627, ELOD embodies our ideal for romance.

1. Feng-Jiu is the one-and-only-woman for Dong-Hua. In turn, Dong-Hua is the one-and-only man for Feng-Jiu. They never have a place in their hearts for other people.
  2. FJ & DH are ready to live together, face everything together, and support each other, from episode 1 to 56.
  3. FJ & DH are equal in every respect, in love and responsibility, including being ready to risk their lives to guard the welfare of the all people in the worlds.
  4. FJ and DH are very romantic to each other and they step up their romance after marriage. They retain their youthful spirit, which maintains their romance.

Thus, the serial fulfill our dreams of being romantic forever. [After marriage or living together, spouses seldom do things that they did when they were dating. As a result, their love life become a routine and lost their charm over time].

After watching hundreds of dramas, we may find that romance drama that could satisfy our ideal love is rare, and that ELOD is a real gem of romance. That is probably why we could not move on.

If so, let’s keep this thread going. Here, we could discuss various aspects, episodes, or scenes, of ELOD, which merit special or further attention. We could inform fellow viewers, if we find similar dramas, books, or fan-fictions.

Most importantly, we could inform scriptwriters, directors, and producers that we, respectfully, hope them to develop similar projects of true romance. We could inform them that we are tired with ‘romance’ dramas, in which the main kind FL & ML develop their relationship somewhere in the middle, shortly get separated, and only get reunited in few short scenes at the end of the last episode.  

Having to wait for 50+ (or, worse, 100+) episodes, just to wait for few paltry romantic scenes in the middle and at the end of the serial? No, thanks.

Hopefully, this board may pave the way for a revolution in romance drama. ELOD (also TMOPB) has shown how a romance should be developed and we would not settle for less. Sisters and brothers, let’s do it.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 4

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

The ELOD version, because both knows who the other actually is, even if they are Aranya and Xi Ze in the dream arc.

Consummation is a time of being vulnerable, and being open to the partner. In PB, FJ thought DH is really Xi Ze. And there goes in the issue of impersonation, which is akin to rape/abuse in some places.

Though DH doesn't mind, saying him as Xi Ze she had fallen for doesn't matter as it's still him she loved, readers and FJ would and not be receptive to his logic.

In ELOD, it's a true coming together after years and years of loss and disappointments. Noting that in previous lives as SXR and CY, and that of baby fox FJ as DH's pet, circumstances barred consummation to ever happen in all those times.

In Aranya's dream, DH and FJ are finally able to let each other know how they feel. Hence, their consummation is of mutual love, and it's honest and right in every ways for DH and FJ.

I prefer Drama version because it's less complicated and it's more acceptable to our logical mind. The writer tonned down his  arrogance attitude.

But I can also see why DH did what did because he already deeply in love with her. He will do anything to be with her. As far as against the Destiny.

And he also knew FJ still love him although she seemed to be already moved on.

Logic or not he just acted first then improvise when the time came. He always think ahead of everything..

PB 2 page 42

After several months, by the time her body was healed and she could leave the enchantment seal, would her muddled memory be restored? Would she hate him when she recalled this period? Of course Dijun had thought of this, and it was causing him a slight headache. But unlike warfare strategies where countermeasures could be arranged in advanced, he could only improvise when the time came. Once he saw her reactions, he would know how to coax her again.

PB 2 page 354

Dijun raised his hand to rub his forehead. “I called for the Stone of Destiny.
It said our fate is too fragile and must not be  psubjected to too much
turbulence. Xiao Bai still has some misgivings toward me… at this time if
she remembers I was lying to her in Aranya's Dream, I can't say for sure
what's going to happen. This is the only risk I don't dare take. No matter
how I think about it, this is still the best solution.”
Liansong sighed deeply and said, “Had you known this, you shouldn't
have pretended to be Xize to deceive her in the dream.”He then quipped, “ Didn'teel jealous watching her and your version of Xize get close?”
Donghua frowned and said in seeming puzzlement, “Why should I feel
jealous? I was just borrowing Xize's identity; I'm still me. Didn't she fall in
love with me again because she'll never be able to love anyone else but me?”

Liansong could only chuckle. “You're right"

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Yori Ten said:

@MayanEcho

Thanks for your insight! Personally, I prefer TQ's version because she proved to us readers that in FJ's love life, there is always just one true love, one man, one DH. But at the same time, TQ also made us see FJ as a woman that is not a slave of love. She knows when to let go and when to move on. Instead of being trapped by her non recicopral love, FJ found the courage to pursue love again. 

Although I love drama version but I also agreed and love your input.

FJ was a young girl..a very sensible one as DH thought of her. She deeply in love , heartbroken which totally not DH fault then she kind of let go( she thought she did when actually she doesn't) and move on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - UNVEILING OF BLOGSITE for ELOD

Hello everyone! On behalf of the Translation team @Yori Ten @Ninky @nitepolaris @SGahjumma @bertrande and myself @SC2019, we are pleased to unveil our blogsite: Https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home

What a beautiful Blogsite! Bravo! Thank you so much translation team!

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - UNVEILING OF BLOGSITE for ELOD

Hello everyone! On behalf of the Translation team @Yori Ten @Ninky @nitepolaris @SGahjumma @bertrande and myself @SC2019, we are pleased to unveil our blogsite: Https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home

We hope that you will derive as much pleasure from it as we have in putting this together. A shout out especially to @Ninky who put together the montage. Do note that this montage will look the best on a desktop computer, preferably with a screen resolution of 1920 width (16:9 ratio); this means that the montage is wide and you won't be able to see as much on a phone, tablet or a laptop. Fret not for those who don't have access to such a big monitor as Ninky will put up a blog showcasing the entire artwork and explaning the concept behind it.

We will release more posts gradually and for tomorrow, look out for the 5,000 word Bodhi Fate (prologue and Episode 1). We understand that some of you are interested in the family tree and perhaps some illustrations from Tang Qi's picture book which will also make their apperance in due time. 

@angelangie please pin this post to the top!

OMG it looks really great!! :love:  Thank you so much for putting in all this work so we can all enjoy it in once place. I have been looking forward to this blog! So happy it's here now! THANK YOU!! :heart: 

• Love 3
  • Awesome 1

26 minutes ago, Megan said:

Hello. Does anybody know where I can find Eternal Love of Dream fanfiction besides AO3? I really hope someone out there has written some about Xuan Ren.

I would love to read about Xuan ren since he didn’t get a happy ending and also aranya and shen ye. I hope someone know some

• Like 2