[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

In the states we have translators and interpreters, traveling for work I find that most western countries are the same. Interpreters that I have worked with all say that they need at least 2 years in the foreign country of the language they are learning/certified for, before they are even considered for a professional position, although the certification does not require it. Colloquial and slang is the hardest for me when I am using an interpreter. Sometimes for languages that I do know, but they give me an interpreter, I find that it is a little lacking in meaning from one language to the other. I can only imagine the level of complication for novels such as these.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

A Tribute to “Eternal Love of Dream”: A Monumental Masterpiece

Countless dramas have been referred to as ‘romances’. Yet, in most of them, the kind FL (female lead) and ML (male lead) are truly reunited only at the last episode. Thus, there are only very few scenes, lasting some minutes each, in which viewers could share and enjoy their sweet bonding moments. (Meanwhile, nasty leads are often reunited somewhere in the middle of the drama and enjoy a lot of happy scenes, while ruining the kind leads’ lives, and thus annoying the viewers).

Viewers all over the world must have been wondering what is romantic about such dramas. These viewers have yearned for years for a true romance, in which (1) the main FL & ML are each other’s true soul mates, and (2) they have been reunited long before the romance drama comes to end, so that (3) their love bond is expressed in numerous scenes, for the viewers to enjoy.

Finally, the “Eternal Love of Dream” drama appears and may provide an answer to their longing for a true romance:

1. The story is quite focused on the romance between main good FL (Bai Feng-Jiu) & ML (Dong-Hua Dijun); thus, there is less distraction.  
  2. While it has 56 episodes, the romance starts right from episode 1 and keeps going until episode 56.
  3. It has bonding scenes between Feng-Jiu & Dong-Hua in each episode. Thus, this drama has quite a lot of such scenes.  
  4. There are many ways in which Feng-Jiu & Dong-Hua express their togetherness, like:
    1. Having close contacts: looking at each other tenderly, holding hands, hugging, caressing heads, kissing lips/noses/brows/hands
    2. Chatting and teasing
    3. Doing things together: projects, plays and fighting.
  5. The cute and bonding scenes are often given in long minutes so that the audience could absorb the sweetness. This is significant as in most ‘romances’, bonding moments are very short so that viewers could not enjoy the lingering feelings. 
  6. This drama depicts the essence of true love:
    1. Feng-Jiu and Dong-Hua support each other, in life or death, from episode 1 to 56. ML Dong-Hua, a good fighter, always tries to protect her; however, FL Feng-Jiu is no damsel in distress; she is also a good fighter and always tries to protect him.
    2. The drama culminates in episode 56, when Feng-Jiu joins Dong-Hua in the death fight against Miao-Luo. Feng-Jiu decides to share the responsibility, of guarding the welfare of the whole worlds, with her husband, even at the risk of sacrificing their lives. At this point, Feng-Jiu is elevated to a real empress, equal to her husband, emperor Dong-Jiu. It is no coincidence that she, for the first time, regularly addresses him as “Dong-Hua”, an equal.
    3. It is all the more remarkable that, throughout the drama, Feng-Jiu is willing to assume the responsibility of protecting other people, although she is (relatively) very young, comparable to a high school senior & graduate in our real world. This should inspire a good lesson of responsibility to young people.
  7. In many dramas, the romantic scenes mostly happen when they date but decrease or stop after they marry. In this drama, after they get married (3 times in three lifetimes) the romantic scenes get even better. This should inspire a good lesson of romance for married/living-with-a-spouse couples.

Many romance dramas could not fully satisfy some points in the above list. By contrast, this romance drama satisfies all of the 7 points.

It is true that this drama is not perfect. For example, there are many understandings, between Dong-Hua and Feng-Jiu, which should have been fairly easily cleared. Secondly, it would have been better if the drama had been 58 episodes (like “Ten Miles of Peach Blossom”). In this manner, episodes 57 & 58 could show the scenes for: (1) solutions to problems between Dong-Hua and the Qing Qiu’s clan, due to his absence in wedding and Feng-Jiu’s pregnancy, (2) Dong-Hua’s anguish for Feng-Jiu’s comatose state, his desperate efforts to save her, and his jubilation when she wakes up, (3) happy family scenes involving Dong-Hua, Feng-Jiu, & Gun-Gun, (4) other problems, like the fact that Qingti breaks his promise for not going near Feng-Jiu.

Nevertheless, despite these shortcomings, “Eternal Love of Dream” is one of the best romance dramas. In fact, it might be a significant milestone in the romance drama history. In other words,

On 4/9/2020 at 8:09 PM, MayanEcho said:

TQ, the Pillow Book is a magnum opus even with a flawed hero. :heart:

Therefore, I would like to express my deepest congratulations for all parties who contribute to the production of this drama. Well Done! :heart: :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Love 11
  • Awesome 3

Hello. Just to ask for clarification. The reason Dong Hua waited 6 months to rescue Feng Jiu in the valley was because she fell in on its last open day, and he entered on the first day it reopened?

but then, did he go to rescue her or to check on the Miaoyi realm?

i am referring to both book and drama

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

There is! It's a small hint, but I'm sold with Zhe Yan coughing!

It did not convince me, it just isn't enough (for me). But then I'm kinda slow like Feng Jiu...

In the drama MY's feelings were not as ambiguous. It was clear as day he has feelings for her... But perhaps he doesn't/didn't know to what extent or what they mean...kinda like DJ for FJ? One can be attracted/feel affection for a person without having romantic feelings.

She's a tough girl in an all men's club!  And she's not pining after her shifu. :lol: She's also sincere, loyal and outspoken.

There were many discussion amongst fans after the drama with some interesting takes...

Some even mentioned something got lost in the translation of the remark about "He's got good tastes in brides." 

Still, I don't think it was "Love" though...

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

10 minutes ago, Megan said:

Here is a random idea. What if Feng Jiu makes salted caramels for her family. It’s another salty sweet.

how do y’all think Dong Hua would react?

Make sure FJ will make twice as many for him :phew:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

On 4/10/2020 at 10:08 PM, cottonbuds2011 said:
She has a theory that our DHDJ is not a rock but a unicorn...

Think the author could be right

dbd0184695045c89.png

In this case, the very docile unicorn was in the cave, happy being on the virgin's lap and ended singing :D 

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

@SilverDawn My view is that it doesnt have to be romantic love, but more in the line of her being his disciple and the wielder of Kunlun purity jade fan.

Zhe Yan might know something more though :) The old phoenix knows MY as his foster brother, and he would know better what MY is going through or feeling.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

On 4/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, MayanEcho said:

I'll qoute you what I read somewhere before as the answer why, how he could be that shameless. :lol:

"He's the lord of everything and answerable to none." 

Very DH, right? :phew:

I meditated and saw the answer :innocent: Dong Hua bull dozed the way to modernization being a new era couple. Examples, he stalks :ph34r:, he's very touchy person (to a point almost being known as a pervert) :lol:, PDA (public display of utmost affection) :rolleyes:, and consummate without asking permission (Just do it) :wub: , and small kid sprang forth to celebrate at their official marriage ceremony :love:

• Like 1
  • Naughty 4
  • LOL 6

4 minutes ago, Wuzetian said:

I meditated and saw the answer :innocent: Dong Hua bull dozed the way to modernization being a new era couple. Examples, he stalks :ph34r:, he's very touchy person (to a point almost being known as a pervert) :lol:, PDA (public display of utmost affection) :rolleyes:, and consummate without asking permission (Just do it) :wub: , and small kid to celebrate at their official marriage ceremony :love:

His official title should really have something that indicates his shamelessness. :lol: Maybe something like DH, Brazen Emperor of All Realms...

• LOL 7

1 minute ago, MayanEcho said:

His official title should really have something that indicates his shamelessness. :lol: Maybe something like DH, Brazen Emperor of All Realms...

The monikers before his official title would be endless in that case :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

2 minutes ago, vivi0303 said:

The monikers before his official title would be endless in that case :joy:

Si Ming will craftily handle that ;) He knows he can't have another of DH's signature sweet and sour fish. If he does well, DH will cook him fish as FJ taught him. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5