[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

46 minutes ago, vivi0303 said:

I perceived that as, self praising, since she is his student :joy:

I thought there wasn't any, but I re-read that chapter of MY waking up and it seems there's a hint of more than a master's feelings for BQ.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I thouht there wasn't any, but I re-read that chapter of MY waking up and it seems there's a hint of more than a master's feelings for BQ.

It's definitely a blink and you miss it clue! 

Interesting. I am looking forward to MY's story. Hopefully we won't have to wait 5 years for that.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

In the book it wasn't suggested. Though everyone has their own opinion. I didn't get that vibe from the book but definetely in the drama.

Though at the end of the drama it seemed he had let it go. 

There is! It's a small hint, but I'm sold with Zhe Yan coughing!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

17 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

It's definitely a blink and you miss it clue! 

Interesting. I am looking forward to MY's story. Hopefully we won't have to wait 5 years for that.

Definitely looking forward to MY book :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I read the kindle version of TMOPB, and the brevity from the translator is astoundingly horrible. I am guessing she was paid big bucks to since it was an actual foreign edition release on a platform like kindle. I must hunt for the more detailed version. Seems like a lot was missed. Or it has been that long since I read that one.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

3 minutes ago, vivi0303 said:

I read the kindle version of TMOPB, and the brevity from the translator is astoundingly horrible. I am guessing she was paid big bucks to since it was an actual foreign edition release on a platform like kindle. I must hunt for the more detailed version. Seems like a lot was missed. Or it has been that long since I read that one.

Do you have the one translated by Poppy Toland? 

Comparing the translated Pillow Book to Sky Kingdom, the Pillow Book wins hands down. Details alone, and how it pulls the heartstrings, The Pillow Book translation is beautifully done.

It's like the two translated books are not written by the same author. :phew:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Do you have the one translated by Poppy Toland? 

Comparing the translated Pillow Book to Sky Kingdom, the Pillow Book wins hands down. Details alone, and how it pulls the heartstrings, The Pillow Book translation is beautifully done.

It's like the two translated books are not written by the same author. :phew:

That's the one. I wonder if hamster did translate the first one or not. But I believe she is anti TMPOB translation now bc of the stigma of plagiarism that book received.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vivi0303 said:

That's the one. I wonder if hamster did translate the first one or not. But I believe she is anti TMPOB translation now bc of the stigma of plagiarism that book received.

Yeah, which is quite a shame. I don't know if I missed anything, as I really only started Cdrama Dec 2019. TMOPB and PB came to my radar just January this year. If there's irrefutable proof that TMOPB was plagiarized, then I get the point of hamster not wanting to do her own translation of it. She and the others did a great job with PB though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SilverDawn said:

In the book it wasn't suggested. Though everyone has their own opinion. I didn't get that vibe from the book but definetely in the drama.

Though at the end of the drama it seemed he had let it go. 

I haven't read the book as well. From the drama, I see it as an admiration or crush rather than love. She is also a fierce and very talented goddess. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

4 hours ago, vivi0303 said:

It's going well, thank you for asking! Since everything was already booked/planned, we were supposed to get married in March :joy:. We decided to postpone until next March. I am not so worried, it was mostly for our mothers. The guest list was at 600 last I checked. We started a charity when we were younger, it's still going strong, so it's half volunteers/friends and half family....... bc asian families :joy::heart: I gave up a long time ago and handed the reigns over to our mothers. All I have to do is show up :sweatingbullets:

Good decision on handing the reigns to your mothers...less stress for you @vivi0303

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Hello, I have been lurking awhile and enjoying everyone's comments.

Hamster did translate the first book, however due to the plagiarism issue she deleted it from her site and says she will not post or provide it again. Some people did get a copy of it before it got deleted. I think I still have copy of it on my computer. The biggest difference for me was the fact that the Poppy Toland version did not have the ending epilogue in it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

@ChibiLy @LovelyLady @vivi0303

Ok, so I just took a quick browse of The Sky Kingdom (TMOPB), and in chapter 21, page 416 in my epub reader:

Sixteenth Apprentice gave a laugh. “At Seventeenth Apprentice’s age, she’s probably been married for years. She must even have a few children by now. When are you going to introduce your fellow apprentices to your husband, by the way? I’m very curious to see the kind of man someone like you has ended up with!”

These words were like a punch right in the gut. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and gave a bleat of laughter. “You are too kind,” I said. “I am actually getting married the month after next. Naturally you will all be invited to celebrate with us.”

Mo Yuan had been sitting to the side throughout these conversations, his eyes raised as he listened. As soon as I said the words “celebrate with us,” I saw the cup in his hand tilt and half his tea spill onto the floor. I rushed over to clean it up, while Zhe Yan gave a cough."

So there was something for MY to BQ. :blink:

Trust me, Tang Qi had indicated that MY does not harbour romantic love for BQ in any way. Guess we will know why he favour her in Bodhi Fate.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

18 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Trust me, Tang Qi had indicated that MY does not harbour romantic love for BQ in any way. Guess we will know why he favour her in Bodhi Fate.

That's good, because I like to think that the "dismay" of MY in book 1 would be because he sees BQ as the most talented and favoured disciple, and his confidante. So he wants her to be still around, or have more freedom to visit Kunlun.

I also hope it's something that went wrong in the translation for the book. Because The Sky Kingdom is so dry compared to The Pillow Book. Even if the translators are different for each body of work, I would still expect some semblance on both book on how the writer writes. I rather believe that it would have been a better read if it was translated by the same people as that of Pillow Book.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

That's good, because I like to think that the "dismay" of MY in book 1 would be because he sees BQ as the most talented and favoured disciple, and his confidante. So he wants her to be still around, or have more freedom to visit Kunlun.

I also hope it's something that went wrong in the translation for the book. Because The Sky Kingdom is so dry compared to The Pillow Book. Even if the translators are different for each body of work, I would still expect some semblance on both book on how the writer writes. I rather believe that it would have been a better read if it was translated by the same people as that of Pillow Book.

That’s what happens sometimes. It is hard to translate into the  correct context and also retain the exact meaning and nuance at the same time. And I say this as someone who has translated many text even for commercial work.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 1

41 minutes ago, Ninky said:

That’s what happens sometimes. It is hard to translate into the  correct context and also retain the exact meaning and nuance at the same time. And I say this as someone who has translated many text even for commercial work.

That's right. While a student in job training, I've translated or summarised speeches and addresses from English to local language and vice versa, and the rule has always been not to lose the essence of the original. It can give migraines, but it's doable.

The Sky Kingdom translation is not so captivating. I suspect that it is due to the text translated clinically. Compared to The Pillow Book, the readers know the best lines and where to find it because the translation kept as much heart and spirit of the original work.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3