[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

ok, I watched bits and pieces of TMOPB back when it was launched but never read the novel it was adapted from and just happened to pop by this thread (page 63 and not before, so please pardon me if whatever I share has already been shared previously). I saw the questions on Dijun 帝君 and Shangshen 上神...

On 2/2/2019 at 9:58 AM, chubby^green^ said:

confession time!

at first when i just watch the drama eternal love i thought donghua's full name was donghua dijun

then when i read the book and read that even bai zhi aka fengjiu's grandfather was called dijun as well

i was confused

On 2/3/2019 at 8:40 PM, chubby^green^ said:

i like to think him as one of the dijun because i always think that dijun is a title given for someone with high power and authority and the length of time of existences :phew:

not just because they used to be or still a ruler of something

the disadvantages of not knowing chinese language unfortunately, you basically went with what you think rather than what it really is

guilty as charged here

hahaha

Here's my understanding, based on knowledge (of Chinese mythology) I previously had (which is minimal), and some quick research (in Chinese, thus my terminology may not be the same as English translations of the series, since I have not read any translated versions) online...so please correct me if I am wrong...

One thing to bear in mind...the "Three Lives" series is a fiction that's loosely based on Chinese mythology and may have borrowed elements from Chinese mythology and other similar based books, and has it's own "self-created ecosystem" that's not necessarily in line with Chinese mythology. E.g. I don't think Chinese mythology had so many different realms as reflected in the series, and even if there was, the balance of power between the realms, is a whole system of it's own within the series.

帝 in general, refers to emperor (皇帝) and 君 (not 俊) generally means Lord, so 帝君 is sort of a "Ruler / In-Charge" title. Tianjun 天君 is the Ruler of the Heavenly (天) Realm. Based on what I read online, within the series, the Heavenly Realm isn't necessarily considered the most powerful, even though it is deemed as the highest in authority in name. The various realms basically just co-exist, although the balance of powers aren't all equal.

On the other hand, Shangshen 上神 is a "level of immortality", which is dependent on various factors, including "birthright", "age", "trials and tribulations endured", "good works", etc. and is the highest possible level of immortality.

So, Donghua Dijun 东华帝君 holds a ruler title of 帝君 but is also 上神 Shangshen, an immortal of the highest level. Same for Fengjiu's grandfather / Bai Qian's father 白止 Bai Zhi, since he is the ruler of the Fox Realm. Although Donghua is no longer a ruler, he still holds the title probably out of reverence by all immortals. He was the ruler of ALL realms long ago, and distributed them out to the various realms, e.g. he apparently gave up the rulership of Heavenly Realm to the current 天君 Tianjun's predecessor (uncertain how many generations before current though), which is also why 天君 Tianjun also seem so afraid of him. So in a way, Donghua is like the retired CEO (who doesn't bother with daily operations) while the various rulers of each realm are like the Managers within their realms?

There appears to be many (at least 15, of which 2 are no longer around) 上神 Shangshen in the series:

• 8 in the Bai family: 白浅 Bai Qian and her 4 elder brothers (including Fengjiu's father), her eldest sister-in-law 未书 Weishu (eldest sister of 玄女 Xuan'nv, former by wife and latter by concubine, thus the different status), and their parents 白止 Bai Zhi and his wife
  • 瑶光 Yao Guang: she appeared in TMOPB and stays near Moyuan because she is his admirer and was sort of jealous of Bai Qian when she was his disciple as 司音 Siyin
  • 天君 Tianjun: Ruler of the Heavenly Realm
  • 折颜 Zheyan: Born as a phoenix and brought up by "Father god", so he is somewhat like Moyuan's elder brother
  • 墨渊 Moyuan: Son of "Father god" and elder brother of 夜华 Yehua (but was originally not born properly because their mother was injured during pregnancy, thus only his spirit was born and kept within the golden lotus for many years, until rebirthed as 夜华 Yehua)
  • 东华帝君 Donghua: Born of a rock but established his worth based on his own strengths, and is the oldest "living" immortals
  • 父神 "Father god" and 母神 "Mother god" (possibly Fuxi and Nvwa from ancient Chinese mythology): Both have "passed on"

Main sources:

https://kuaibao.qq.com/s/20180414A1EQU700

https://new.qq.com/omn/20180714/20180714A1LOLP.html

http://k.sina.com.cn/article_6516282627_18466950300100ct0s.html

http://k.sina.com.cn/article_6694625122_18f07df6200100h3ez.html

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/25339029

• Insightful 6

3 hours ago, aryamine said:

I wish I could understand the characters. My understanding is limited at rén. Dijun looks so irritated lol.

The pages just keep increasing I wonder when we'll get an mv or trailer.

FJ: Donghua, xiaojiu (referring to herself) is feeling hungry again...
DH: ok, ok, here's some cash...

FJ: YAY, I can get some food...*a whole list of food items*

DH: At the rate she is eating, I need to get Yehua to get me another job to sustain...

• LOL 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elsanna said:

Maybe we are going to cross 100 pages without even knowing when will show come on air:joy:

I am sure of it :joy: if we continue like this, until december we will cross 250 pages. imagine what it will be here when the official trailer will be released :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, chubbz said:

FJ: Donghua, xiaojiu (referring to herself) is feeling hungry again...
DH: ok, ok, here's some cash...

FJ: YAY, I can get some food...*a whole list of food items*

DH: At the rate she is eating, I need to get Yehua to get me another job to sustain...

Thanks a lot. Dijun needs a job people, else Xiao bai may just start crying. Job openings anyone? Don't want our dear stone losing face in front of his wife's uncle in law.:sweatingbullets:

• Like 1

I love the fact that we are up to page 65 without 1 decent trailer out. It shows how much we love Dongfeng couple. This is the first for me to follow a drama even before the release date is out or even a trailer out. And I dont regret it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, akkarin said:

I love the fact that we are up to page 65 without 1 decent trailer out. It shows how much we love Dongfeng couple. This is the first for me to follow a drama even before the release date is out or even a trailer out. And I dont regret it.

yeees, same here :heart::heart: I also read the book 3 times in less than 1 year, so imagine the level of obsession :)) plus almost every day checking the official weibo and different chinese sites, in case i find new things. Not even when i found out about HSALF being made into a drama, was i so obsessed, HSALF being one of my favs ever :heart:  so yea, we don't regret it :))

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, akkarin said:

Yup, I made an account just to spazz about DongFeng and I got to know a lot of stuff because of this thread :heart:

Gu2Mrjt.jpg

pchbymX.jpg

5jdEIuh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oh my! What a Valentines Day gift!

Everything I've seen so far has pleased me so greatly. This drama. I'm going to have a heart attack before it even comes out...

I'll make some wallpapers right away.

Ahhhhh

Two simple wallpapers at 1366 x 768 with color adjustments,

Download from website, because these preview images Soompi offers are low resolution.

New-Valentines-Wallpaper-PB1.jpg

New-Valentines-Wallpaper-PB2.jpg

https://postimg.cc/m1SrhY8c and https://postimg.cc/ctWHs9My 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1