[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

17 hours ago, pawla said:

Vengo carrying Reba again.  LOL. Reminds me of the BTS from TMOPB :D. Do you have any guesses which scene it is? I'm thinking maybe it's a scene where DH summoned the stone of destiny. If I remember correctly FJ was unconscious at the time. Or it could be where DH and FJ fight with Miaoluo. That's why DH is carrying the hurt FJ,  also why Reba is crying. It was a very emotional scene. I was crying too when I read it.

Your guesses could be right..but I think it's was the scene where the three trio DH carry unconscious FJ with Su Moye. This is where they were just got back from Dreamverse(Aranya Dream)and meet with Liansong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lovelygoddess said:

:wub: thank you so much for uploading all these detailed photos and updated filming clips. It makes me so happy !!! 

As you you know I am a huge fan of vengo and Reba. Actually I think Vengo is hot and super sexy !!!  So in the meantime while I wait for this drama to come out I decided to watch any drama that Vengo is in. 

I first watched Les Interpretes and then Legend of Fuyao. Loved the second but not so much the first. 

Anyways my point is that I am a bit scared because in both dramas Vengo’s acting is super cringe worthy !! Like it’s really bad. I don’t know if it’s because of the lines that was written or the character her portrays but he doesn’t seem to have a wide range of emotion when he acts ? (It’s mostly frowning and mad). This makes me sad and also very worried especially since the drama we all are waiting for he is lead in !! I am hoping (fingers crossed) he’s much improved now that he is acting lead. 

On a a side note, what is a worthy place to watch streaming drama ? Especially the older ones as I am trying to see all the Vengo dramas. I use DramaFever and love the quality for its price but it only shows newer dramas. 

Loving this discussion so keep it up everyone. 

Now...I am anxious...read your post regarding Vengo acting.it is really that bad?l can't comments much..Since i am only watched his drama in TMOPB and a bits of scenes from V love and Mr pride and prejudice. I think his acting was not bad..and i really love his acts in TMOPB tho..i might say that his collaborated with Reba will "bring out the best of him"..since theirs chemistry was superb...maybe its about his "partner" thing.I really hope and pray the Best for this Drama.. I hope "we can count on"to the productions team the Directors, the Actors and writers.

Edited by jimmylyne
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

Now...I am anxious...read your post regarding Vengo acting.it is really that?l can't comments much..Since i am only watched his drama in TMOPB and a bits of scenes from V love and Mr pride and prejudice. I think his acting was not bad..and i really love his acts in TMOPB tho..i might say that his collaborated with Reba will "bring out the best of him"..since theirs chemistry was superb...maybe its about his "partner" thing.I really hope and pray the Best for this Drama.. I hope "we can count on"to the productions team the Directors, the Actors and writers.

I know you are quoting for someone else, but as someone who also watched Legend of Fuyao (and absolutely LOVED it), YES, his acting was that bad. When he got mad, he would over exaggerate too much. His eyes would get bulging huge, and he would huff and puff. Literally. There are even GIFS in the fuyao forum making fun of his expressions.

It was totally weird. Idk if it was cause his character was supposed to be portrayed that way or something.. because I personally liked his acting in ten miles, but when it came to fuyao, its like I was watching someone else. 

Anyway, I believe in him. Just from past experiences acting as dijun. :)

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, roxnilla7 said:

I know you are quoting for someone else, but as someone who also watched Legend of Fuyao (and absolutely LOVED it), YES, his acting was that bad. When he got mad, he would over exaggerate too much. His eyes would get bulging huge, and he would huff and puff. Literally. There are even GIFS in the fuyao forum making fun of his expressions.

It was totally weird. Idk if it was cause his character was supposed to be portrayed that way or something.. because I personally liked his acting in ten miles, but when it came to fuyao, its like I was watching someone else. 

I  also watched LOF and I admit his acting sometimes cringe-worthy there. He was ok in miss pride and Mr prejudice even though he only had a small screen time. As for TMOPB,  I really like his acting. DH was supposed to be emotionally constipated so I guess it's not that hard to portray him. Like @jimmylyne said maybe it depends on his acting partner.  His chemistry with Reba is really superb so I'm hoping we will get the really best from them. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, roxnilla7 said:

Well..ok then..since your comments  was so honest and very genuinely unbiased..I don't think I have an urge to watched Legend of Fuyao..i really dont wants to tarnished my "good impression" of Vengo actings...especially..how very much I love his actings in TMOPB Drama( it's make me think that the directors of TMOPB was indeed talented and superb because despite  of "not a good actor"(as many has commented) the directors managed to make Vengo characters as an almighty Dong Hua Dijun...so perfectly impressively brilliant) so I won't watched his others drama unless "sweets and adorable Reba" in it..I wanted to keep this "good impression" feels of Vengo at least after i watched this Pillow Books drama..:smile:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

Well..ok then..since your comments  was so honest and very genuinely unbiased..I don't think I have an urge to watched Legend of Fuyao..i really dont wants to tarnished my "good impression" of Vengo actings...especially..how very much I love his actings in TMOPB Drama( it's make me think that the directors of TMOPB was indeed talented and superb because despite  of "not a good actor"(as many has commented) the directors managed to make Vengo characters as an almighty Dong Hua Dijun...so perfectly impressively brilliant) so I won't watched his others drama unless "sweets and adorable Reba" in it..I wanted to keep this "good impression" feels of Vengo at least after i watched this Pillow Books drama..:smile:

don't even try to watch Legend of Fuyao (if for Vengo) because as a die hard Donghua and Feng Jiu turned Reba x Vengo fan, i will honestly say he was bad maybe becoz of his character also. and in my opinion his partner was more annoying (im so biased yes im sorry) That's why in all of Reba and Vengo discussions im worried about the others opinion esp acting wise, thats why apart from being excited im also nervous. And i have said this many times. I will support them no matter what. And one point, i never seen Vengo in other show apart from TMOPB, Pride and Prejudice and LOF. So he is like 2/3 to me. ☺ idk if im making sense but. I hope you get it hehe. 

Btw, whats our name ship for Donghua and Feng jiu? is it #DongFeng ????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kimberly Amor said:

don't even try to watch Legend of Fuyao (if for Vengo) because as a die hard Donghua and Feng Jiu turned Reba x Vengo fan, i will honestly say he was bad maybe becoz of his character also. and in my opinion his partner was more annoying (im so biased yes im sorry) That's why in all of Reba and Vengo discussions im worried about the others opinion esp acting wise, thats why apart from being excited im also nervous. And i have said this many times. I will support them no matter what. And one point, i never seen Vengo in other show apart from TMOPB, Pride and Prejudice and LOF. So he is like 2/3 to me. ☺ idk if im making sense but. I hope you get it hehe. 

Btw, whats our name ship for Donghua and Feng jiu? is it #DongFeng ????

Yes..yes..(high five!)definitely supports them no matter what's the outcomes..

I love #DongFeng...:heart::grin:

• Like 1

LOL :D I thought I just will keep it to myself but since most of you have spoken up, I confess that I also didn’t like Vengo in LOF as well as his partner there. Specifically that part where they sang some ancient Chinese song, I cringed and skipped it and all the other times that they replayed it. :crazy:

But I daresay that Vengo did great as Donghua Dijun in TMOPB and I expect nothing less in the Pillow Book. Some roles are made for certain stars, so is Donghua Dijun for Vengo Gao. I can’t imagine another person in that role but him. 

Reba will definitely nail Bai Fengjiu. She’s getting better and better with her acting. Sometimes Fengjiu can be irritating with her denseness and menace. But Reba has a way of delivering the role that makes Fengjiu endearing. Talent, skill and charm. Lethal! :heart:

Were they not tagged as the DongFeng couple in the Pillow Book? I like the sound of it. There’s harmony  ;)

91aa7412c9656cca97fa11d12bf62d9d.gif

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 9:22 PM, junerain7 said:

LOL :D I thought I just will keep it to myself but since most of you have spoken up, I confess that I also didn’t like Vengo in LOF as well as his partner there. Specifically that part where they sang some ancient Chinese song, I cringed and skipped it and all the other times that they replayed it. :crazy:

But I daresay that Vengo did great as Donghua Dijun in TMOPB and I expect nothing less in the Pillow Book. Some roles are made for certain stars, so is Donghua Dijun for Vengo Gao. I can’t imagine another person in that role but him. 

Reba will definitely nail Bai Fengjiu. She’s getting better and better with her acting. Sometimes Fengjiu can be irritating with her denseness and menace.Sometimes Fengjiu can be irritating with her denseness and menace. But Reba has a way of delivering the role that makes Fengjiu endearing. Talent, skill and charm. Lethal! :heart:

Were they not tagged as the DongFeng couple in the Pillow Book? I like the sound of it. There’s harmony  ;)

Actually..it's a good thing that everybody speak up their mind..or even better IF(As If ) Vengo himself read the comments regarding his acting in our Forums..here..so that he would try his hardest( not saying he didn't try) to improve his acting:D

In TMOPB Drama Feng Jiu characters was sometime very immature..and menace..it's very true if someone else potrayed Feng Jiu other than Reba...i might be not DongFeng,s fan..I can't even imagined..but if this Pillow Book drama faithful to the books...I think we still can see the "menace" part of Feng Jiu but not much...and i think we definitely wouldn't see the "denseness" parts..since i didn't catch any such thing in the books..maybe there's a little..such as..

instead of believe the false story about DH and Jiheng from Xiao Yan..FengJiu just should asked DH himself.

DongFeng..yes I really love it..actually I used it..from the moment I watched TMOPB drama then become used to it everytime I leave a comment on YouTube or any others discussions.

Woah...I really love the Gif/clips of DongFeng. Their BTS was the BEST...managed to brighten my day everytime.:love:

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not quote images
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 4:38 PM, mundane9 said:

I am amazed this thread is already 35 pages deep considering the drama won't be airing for more than another year. Based on what I've read so far, it sounds like they are going to follow the original novel for the web drama. So

1) are they going to separate the 2 books into 2 parts to make 50 episodes or cram 2 books together into 25 episodes?

2) They altered the DH/FJ love story in the TMOPB drama. Are they going to bridge that modification in the drama or just ignore the drama alterations from TMOPB and start from where the novel begins>

3) I am confused based on some of the comments on this forum as it sounds like they modified the script based on who is courting whom which is the basic premise of the Pillow Book.. Any idea how much divergence from the original script are we talking about here. There are so many delicious scenes in the Pillow Book novel that I wish would make into the drama such as the suitor scene, the pond bathing scene, maiden festival, storm/consummation, etc. I hope these do not get edited out or replaced by something silly and predictable. 

4) Based on some of the stills taken, it shows an awake FJ with DH and BGG. So this has to be a script modification as the actual story ends at BGG meeting his father for the first time. I cannot imagine them detracting too much from the novel

So at this juncture, I am a bundle of confusion as to what's what.

1) From what is known/leaked/widely assumed, the 2 books will be made into 50+ episodes, just like the 2 books of TMOPB.

2) No, pretend the DHFJ story in Eternal Love never happened. :)

3) I don’t really understand what you’re referring to. There’s no modification as to who is courting who. In Eternal Love, FJ chases DH. In this drama, it will be as the book, mainly DH chasing FJ after she chased him in the past.

4) But we know FJ wakes up because of the post-waking-up hilarious short stories in the official pictorial book, written by Tang Qi herself. :D So no surprise if they don’t end with the book’s ending. It worked well in a book, but would be way too abrupt and incomplete if it ended that way in a drama (unless they wanted an open ending, but i doubt that, as that’s not in the spirit of the book).

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 5:59 PM, mundane9 said:

To better 'understand' what TQ is writing/implying, one has to understand some Chinese mythology. Foxes and the Fox Spirits/Gods, in Chinese mythology carry the reputation of being immoral and lascivious seducers who are naturally gifted with such stunning good looks that they render members of the opposite gender helpless and hapless to the extent of losing any and all common sense. That is why, to this day, Chinese women who wield such 'abilities'are often labeled as VIXENS/hu li jing - a term usually used to describe mistresses, seducers, and generally women who use their looks to achieve/attain anything in life. We have had many Chinese novels and dramas that have portrayed that mythology but that notion was not dramatically integrated into TQ's TMOPB and the PB. Therefore, BQ's ability to get away with a LOT of things is because she is not only a FOX SPIRIT, she is also THAT beautiful - which then again also reflects what actually happens in real life quite pervasively as we live in a society that rewards if not venerates attractive people regardless of personality flaws. We see these parallels across different countries and cultures such as 'Samson and Delilah', 'Helen of Troy', etc.  Correspondingly, YH and DJ are both the proverbial mightiest heroes who like Samson, collapse at the feet of ultimate beauty and lose their lives to gorgeous but flawed, self-centered and somewhat dim-witted women. Even DH admits to that in the Pillow Book but unwittingly realizes he can't help himself. But most of us get so carried away by the romance that we ignore if not 'forget' about the flaws. I bow my head down to TQ for successfully rendering this timeless collective trance our species continuously repeats regardless of how much time has passed. 

Please don’t take this personally - i’m definitely not having a go at you, and we love the diversity of interpretations and opinions we all bring - but i really don’t agree with this! -_-

I get what you’re saying about chinese mythology - about the seducing and enchantress role/nature of typically female fox spirits - but as you have said, TQ didn’t integrate this into her stories, and in fact, i think she went quite the opposite way. The notion of the “huli jing” has been explored in so many stories, but Tang Qi’s xianxia universe seems to have a different take on the fox spirits. She also differentiates between the Nine-Tail-White-Fox-God-Tribe of Qing Qiu, and the lowly Fairy Fox Clan which is mentioned in The Pillow Book. In Tang Qi’s universe, the Celestial Tribe are not necessarily “good”, just legalistic and maybe even arrogant and hypocritical (since they have been placed in administrative power by Dong Hua). The Ghost Tribe is not necessarily “scary”/“devious” and the Demon Tribe is not necessarily “bad”. In fact, all have been at fault, all have participated in wars, all have been unified in peace by Dong Hua. I think Tang Qi has intentionally turned a lot of traditional notions on their heads.

Bai Qian and Zhe Yan does mention (in the books and in Eternal Love) that the 9tail white foxes are very good at their enchantment (seduction) spells, but it’s not necessarily painted in a bad light, maybe just how they “woo” and “court” their lovers, not for the traditional sense of mischief and personal advantage. Qing Qiu foxes are known for their unwavering faithfulness and stay with their one mate for life - they have no harem like those in the Celestial Tribe. This is very different to the kind of “huli jing” mistresses and seducers you described, who use their beauty to get what they want. I also disagree that YH and DH fell for the stereotypical beautiful woman/damsel in distress. BQ and FJ, although the 2 most beautiful women in the 4 seas and 8 realms, are definitely NOT dim-witted, mary sue or the cliche damsel in distress. BQ is strong, independent, brave, loyal, badass and is the heroine of the story. The drama makes YH seem like the hero/protagonist and dumbs down BQ’s voice, character and presence, but the books are all about BQ, written solely in her POV as the protagonist, and she is a powerful woman. BQ is admittedly self-centred and have all the flaws i listed out in previous posts, but i think her greatest problem is her social issues and hermit/recluse personality, not an innate selfishness or self-centredness. As i tried to explain, she puts on Goddess airs to get out of awkward situations, not to get praise nor use people for her own advantage. She never used her beauty, and she got away with things because of her respected 9tail white fox godly lineage, being daughter of the Fox King, and Goddess status, NOT her beauty. She is kind but disengaged with the affairs of the world, and has poor maternal instincts. I found that most of her flaws were actually plot-driven and the books were more forgiving because her internal dialogue demonstrated reflection and self-awareness. YH fell in love with her definitely NOT simply because of the notion of her being a beauty/he collapsed at her feet. No way. He had a connection with her way back to when Mo Yuan died and she woke YH up into his child spirit form. As Su Su, he recognised her “back”, the back of a figure that appears in his dreams. As Su Su, she showed him kindness and made him feel happiness for the first time, AND she was incredibly beautiful (but she had no spirit essence and appeared like a mortal) - all this is explained in Ye Hua’s Epilogue.

I even further disagree with putting FJ in the self-centred and dim-witted category (if you’re talking about Eternal Love’s FJ, then that’s not written by Tang Qi). FJ in the book is AMAZING! The only thing i agree with is that she is exceptionally beautiful, but again, she never ever used her beauty or her lineage for anything. Unlike BQ, she doesn’t put on airs to get out of situations. She is friendly and down-to-earth, willing to deal with all social situations. At the equivalent age of only 16-18, she’s naive and innocent, but it makes her cute - she’s definitely NOT dim-witted nor self-centred. She is also VERY strong, independent and has a lot of talent. She doggedly lowered herself to a servant and a pet to pursue Dong Hua for 400 years. Even after that, she suffered time and time again and never once complained, culminating in her sufferings as “Aranya”, the torture cage, etc - after which she breaks down and reflects on how her many years of perseverance and heartache has made her very strong. Many previous posts written by many people here have praised FJ’s character in the books - her integrity, her humility, her faithfulness, her kindness, her fighting and cooking ability - and all the qualities that DH also praised her about (when he told “Aranya” what he loved about FJ when they went to see the Yue Ling flowers). He said he loved everything about her, and knows why he chose her. Yes, he said she was the most beautiful. Yes, he also joked with Liang Song about her being “gullible” which he found endearing, but he also said time and time again she surprised him with how smart she was. But he is definitely not one to have merely collapsed at a beauty’s feet, nor did FJ cause his hero’s demise - in fact, she saves him (eg. heals his hands, helps him in the Wicked Lotus Sphere). DH talked about how in his hundreds of thousands of years, countless so-called “beauties” have thrown themselves at him, but he neither looked at them nor wanted anything to do with them. Only Feng Jiu was able to capture his attention, who at “first sight” already gave him a sense of warmth and familiarity (unbeknownst to him, because she had spent 400 years by his side and IS his beloved missing pet fox). DH also talked about her talent, restraint and humility which he felt made her fit to be his queen (when he realised how deeply in love with her he was after the Saha Fruit Competition).

So, in conclusion, i think Tang Qi really challenged the helpless beauty/damsel in distress cliche, as well as traditional mythology about the fox spirits. In fact, she spun all these notions into something new and created progressive, countercultural and highly admirable characters in BQ, FJ, YH & DH. Yes, they all have their flaws, but not the ones you mentioned and not for the reasons you mentioned. And they have much more praiseworthy characteristics than flaws. We enjoy their romance because they are meaningful and refreshing, and because the characters are so admirable and the chemistry is so intoxicating. I definitely don’t think it’s another fluff romance piece about heroes falling for the beauty/damsel in distress.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pawla said:

Why is DH wearing a lot of white? I thought his trademark color is purple. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I don't remember reading he wears white clothes in the pillow book. 

Yes i noticed that too but I think this is a good artistic representation of the change in him. He was a cold hearted DH in TMOPB but in pillow book he will become completely opposite .... more lighter more full of love. I can see this associated in the darker va lighter purple of his wardrobe (reflection of his mood and his emotions). And in the most recent addition from @Zelnk FJ and DH actually even match and compliment each other like a pair. I think this speaks so much about the thoughtfulness and attention to detail of the production team!  I am so excited !!!!!! 2019 dec can’t come soon enough ....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pawla said:

Why is DH wearing a lot of white? I thought his trademark color is purple. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I don't remember reading he wears white clothes in the pillow book. 

One of the scenes DH wear white was when he saw FJ bathing in the hot spring described as a "white figure"..and just before Liansong appear he covered Naked FJ with his white cloak..but since them both wear white I think maybe this scene where FJ was drunk at the garden after she put a sleeping spell(but didn't work out) on DH...FJ in her mourning dress and DH in his inner tunic which is usually white.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 3:37 PM, Zelnk said:

Is that a flower Wreath on FJ's head?..if so..this is DH as Xize and FJ at Imperial City to enjoyed a Maiden Festival..:love: thks for sharing.

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not quote images
  • Like 3