[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Hello all!

This is my first post ever on soompi. I am so happy that PB has started airing and I cannot wait to catch up once the weekend rolls around for me to binge watch the next 6 episodes.

So far I love the world-building, the way most of the actors express themselves, and I do rather like how DH is much more playful and expressive in the mortal arc. I imagine that’s how a young DH would have behaved if he weren’t busy fighting to preserve world peace or if he wasn’t Tianjun. :D

I’m caught up to episode 12 now, is that the most I can see right now without paying for the premium rights? 

I’ve decided to spend the next 3 days re-watching the first 12 episodes while waiting for Thursday. :lol: 

• Like 5

I love the novel very much, but the drama can't give me the same feeling until now.. It is only my opinon, but I miss something in Vengo Gau and Dilraba Dilmurat acting....please don't throw rooks after me. Is there someone, who has the same feeling?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LuMNaL said:

I love the novel very much, but the drama can't give me the same feeling until now.. It is only my opinon, but I miss something in Vengo Gau and Dilraba Dilmurat acting....please don't throw rooks after me. Is there someone, who has the same feeling?

I know how you feel about shows not living up to what you imagined the books to be. For me, the leads are doing a good job because I started the novel only after watching TMOPB. So their portrayals = DH and FJ in my mind. 

Anyway drama adaptations hardly use the source material without any changes, so I would just try to watch it like it is a brand new show not related to a novel, or TMOPB. 

I was so excited about the start of PB that I went and borrowed the novel again from my public library in anticipation of referencing them. :D but now I think I’d rather re-watch the show than re-read the books. 

• Like 2

I see people complaining about DH expressions, specially in the mortal realm.

Spoiler

I did'n finish the book, so the mortal realm arc is new to me, but I think Xuanren is happy, simple as that. He knows the danger of being an emperor, but he is lucky, he has good people close to him, who protect him and save his life. He is in good health and now is in love with a mysterious girl ... His smile is so pure in ep 12 that I understood that it is just happiness.

Poor Ye Qinqti, he is so sweet and kind... I think he will fall for Xiao Jiu :(

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Justadramaviewer said:

drama adaptations hardly use the source material without any changes,

That I know and I have no problem if they change some parts from the novel.

The problem, that I have is, that the leads can't give me the same feeling, which I have for the novel....I know, a lot of you/us started to love DH and FJ because TMOPB, included me. I read the novel, because I like them there too.

But after I read the novel, I forget them...because DH and FJ from the novel are perfect, their character are so strong. After that, I really hoped, that the DH and FJ won't be Vengo Gau and Dilraba Dilmurat. They are good as DH and FJ in TMOPB...but for me not the DH and FJ from the novel Pillow Book. When it was confirmed, that this both actors will be the leads, I try to accepted and hoped, my feeling was wrong. But now...:cold_sweat:

7 hours ago, springfiry said:

@classyviews I thought the spell casted By BQ when helping the ex servant son was to help FJ as a concubine? I don’t think FJ dressed up as a male in the mortal arc of TMOPB. My bad if I remembered wrongly, been some years since I watched it.

Yes the same timeline. I am guessing FJ used magic now to make herself look like a guy. 

Could be wrong, but I see no other way. 

:blush:

Although I like the previous episodes, but I wanna skip them until the current timeline.

Even if the mortal arc isn't as bad as I imagined, I'm a little scared, that something might happen between the emperor and our little fox.

In the past two days, I read the whole book 1 to my sister and we can't wait to see all the funny scenes in the sky and Fanyin valley, especially where Donghua gets jealous of Xiao Jan.

My throat is gonna killing me and I need something to watch, can't wait for next thursday.

• Like 1

9@Justadramaviewer Welcome on board! *wave*.

Eventhough the drama is already on air..every now and  then I'm stil re-read the book whether it's was bc of references between drama and novel or it was bc differences of the certain part in drama vs novel. The plotline still considered closely related eventhough there's a few changes have been made.

@LuMNaL Welcome on board! *wave*.

Just hang on..we are only at episode 12..there's a lots episode to come. I'm hope your interest will pick up eventually bc everybody waiting for DongFeng moments. The best have yet to come... Just  Saying...eventhough it's still up to you wether to patiently waiting or just give up at least stay tune until we see the current timeline..where we supposedly see DongFeng lovey dovey scenes..especially when FJ realized that Donghua Dijun is such a bully. A prankster.

On the side noted...i can't say " I'm sorry " for your grief when you find out that Vengo/Reba reprises their roles bc you did not want them for this roles .As for me... it was like " Am i dreaming?" bc not all dream have come true but my dream was indeed comes true.. i was "over the moon" kind of feeling. I was felt so thankful.

but I'm sorry to say "your grief have become my happiness " 

• Like 3

Am I the only one who, for a brief second, shipped ZheYan and FengJui?? 

Lol I HAVE NEVER IMAGINED THAT I'D SHIP THEM. I read the books and it never occured to me that ZheYan and FengJui can be linked romantically but Baron Chen's gazes towards Feng Jui is confusing my poor heart

I have shipped the unshippable 

76894263_10219942319804142_566335750014183921144_10219942390725915_7313471655953

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, yoyom15 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I did'n finish the book, so the mortal realm arc is new to me, but I think Xuanren is happy, simple as that. He knows the danger of being an emperor, but he is lucky, he has good people close to him, who protect him and save his life. He is in good health and now is in love with a mysterious girl ... His smile is so pure in ep 12 that I understood that it is just happiness.

Poor Ye Qinqti, he is so sweet and kind... I think he will fall for Xiao Jiu :(

I see people complaining about DH expressions, specially in the mortal realm.

Actually, I prefer how the mortal arc Emperor was acted in TMOPB, and I can understand why fans complained. The acting is due to the difference in timeline of the mortal arc.

Vengo is more expressive in the mortal arc, more “young-ish/teenager-ish”,  because he was pretty young as a crown prince who ascended the throne. The emperor he played in TMOPB was older, more mature, more sure & in command. Vengo on his own has a Fierce strong look and plays a mature commanding emperor very well, but we are not used to seeing such an expressive excited DH. Scenes he was so love struck in a first love kinda way, but is a huge contrast to the DH we know.

In TMOPB, he had a cold fierce haughty look for majority of his scenes, but in this show as DH, he has smiled more and doesn’t feel as cold. I also feel his look in the mortal arc doesn’t look so young even though he is playing a quite young emperor ?

There’s a disconnect I think with expectations, styling and facial expressions. And maybe too much comparisons to TMOPB/the book, In which we should take it as it is by itself. This is just my 2cents and I love this show a lot but I am feeling abit mixed.

@jimmylyne it was my dream come true for this show to have the characters reprise their roles too. I could not get enough of them.

@LuMNaL I have never read the novel, so I Guess I have less to compare them on. As it is I am comparing against TMOPB which I feel I shouldn’t since this is actually a stand-alone with no references to it. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, LuMNaL said:

I think the drama lacks the intesity of the Books. 

The scene where little fox FengJui was beaten by the Lion, i was actually so scared as I anticipate it. It was not as impactful as the book. It is expected tho. Adaptations cannot capture the books entirely, especially so that we are putting our interpretations on it. 

Acting wise I love both Dilreba and Vengao they are better here I think. Only that Dong Hua here is a bit livelier than what i hoped for. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, jeenee said:

I think the drama lacks the intesity of the Books. 

The scene where little fox FengJui was beaten by the Lion, i was actually so scared as I anticipate it. It was not as impactful as the book. It is expected tho. Adaptations cannot capture the books entirely, especially so that we are putting our interpretations on it. 

Acting wise I love both Dilreba and Vengao they are better here I think. Only that Dong Hua here is a bit livelier than what i hoped for. 

It is possible it lacks the intensity of TMOPB as well. Also, TMOPB had many side arcs Interwoven which played Into the intensity and I enjoyed them, not so much here (Eg - JiHeng and the demon politics)

I am so excited for Thursday’s episodes, but I am hoping to see more intensity. Can’t wait for the, to bring it on.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jeenee said:

Am I the only one who, for a brief second, shipped ZheYan and FengJui?? 

Lol I HACMVE NEVER IMAGINED THAT I'D SHIP THEM. I read the books and it never occured to me that ZheYan and FengJui can be linked romantically but Baron Chen's gazes towards Feng Jui is confusing mt poor heart

I have shipped the unshippable 

76894263_10219942319804142_566335750014183921144_10219942390725915_7313471655953

What??..don't even go there...not gonna happen bc Bai Zhen and Zhe Yan was so in love with other...so Zhe Yan is FJ beloved uncle-in-law.  

FJ is loved spoiled pampered by everyone including Zhe Yan . He was a family member... Since FJ was so obsessed with the Almighty Donghua Dijun and only Zhe Yan can give her a true story about Donghua bc amongst all immortal Zhe Yan age was close to DH just slightly a few decades younger than Donghua so he was the only one FJ can rely regarding Donghua History...the story that was not even written in the history books.

I don't about how you feel like the way you felt on how Baron Chen looked at FJ( i think you mean Reba) bc for me everyone ( except for Zhihe and her side kick) seem to be soft toward her including Siming jiejie bc Reba/FJ have such a beautiful and sweet nature..no doubt.

• Like 2

Maybe it's because in the novel they didn't potray these current scene detail some some people might not get the feeling we got from the novel.

We hope it will get what we hope from the upcoming episode,  it's still long way to go

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, springfiry said:

There’s a disconnect I think with expectations, styling and facial expressions. And maybe too much comparisons to TMOPB/the book, In which we should take it as it is by itself. This is just my 2cents and I love this show a lot but I am feeling abit mixed.

I think we should stop comparing the two Dijun from TMOPB and this drama. 

ITs obvious that the representation is going to be different as Donghua is the main character and will be sticking to the one close to whats mentioned in the book. 

As for his arc as the mortal king, I Like it. 

Its shows how the VG acting has seriously improved( case in point Legend of Fuyao, He was stiff there) 

I think both leads have improved in acting, and their interpretations of the characters will be different than the first drama. 

As for all unhappy that the same actors are playing the characters, well its goes towards the sky rocketing popularity from TMOPB which made it nearly impossible for anyone else to play the roles. 

I think the drama will pick up speed as they have so much to cover. 

mortal arc then wedding - sky kingdom scenes , Aranya, bincang ceremony and then the whole demon king arc

phew

• Like 6