Quantcast

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Le Coup de Foudre 我不喜欢这世界,我只喜欢你

2 hours ago, AnmeiX2 said:

In one if the episodes, QY and YM were talking about what their first words were to each.  Then there was a flash back to the scene where he helped her before when she was about to fall from standing on the tables.  He said something like their firsts words were much earlier then she thought.  Can we assume that he had fallen for her before they became deskmates?

That's a good question and one I suspect that will have varying answers!  For me, I'm going to say not necessarily (and no).  I think what we can assume from that is that she came to his notice a lot earlier than she realizes.  QY has always assumed that he was never aware of her until they became deskmates, but from that flashback, we know that's not true.  He remembers exchanging words with her where even she doesn't remember.  But does that mean he fell for her at that moment?  I'm inclined to say no.

The reason for that is twofold.  First, in the drama, QY asks him at least twice (if I remember correctly) when he first started to like her.  The first time he declines to answer.  The second time, he flashbacks to their high school days and we see, in a montage of moments, when she bumped into his back, when he caught her hand right before he also dropped it and she fell, when she fell asleep studying at his dinner table, when he went to find her after he initially let her walk home by herself, when she helped him shop for a necktie, etc.  My interpretation of that "answer" is that YM can't answer QY's question because there was never a "moment" for him where he started to fall in love with her.  Instead, it was through all the time they spent together that he started to have feelings for her -- and all that happened after they became desk mates.

Second, as much as the French title of this drama translates into "Love at first sight", in the book, Mr. F (Yan Mo) makes clear that it wasn't love at first sight and that it's not clear who started to have feelings first.  Here are the relevant passages:

Spoiler

Q: Did you fall in love with Joey at first sight, or did your feelings accumulate over a period of time?
A: I’m extremely logical when handling my relationship, and wouldn’t develop good feelings towards the other party purely because of the romantic atmosphere at that point in time or because of a special attribute possessed by the other party. Thus, it’s nearly impossible for me to fall in love with the other party at first sight. It’s extremely difficult for me to ascertain precisely when I started developing romantic feelings for Joey; rather, I grew to like her more and more as my understanding of her deepened. My feelings for her accumulated over a relatively lengthy period of time.

Q: Who was the party who fell for the other party first?
A: It’s rather difficult to answer this question – I myself remain unclear about when I started to possess romantic feelings for her.

Credit: https://dramasbooksandtea.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/i-dont-like-this-world-i-only-like-you-epilogue/

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As always, some of the subs for Episodes 19 & 20 left me feeling a little meh.  The meaning may not have been lost, but I just feel like the spirit of the sentiments aren't always properly conveye

My heart is so happy right now!!    A beautiful ending for not just the OTP, but all our beloved characters. Also, the one thing I didn’t like about the drama (which was something they had ch

My last post re: translations... *sniffs*     Episode 35 When HWY finally reveals her "big surprise" at the wedding, QY says, per the subs, "It's so nice of you!"  But her reaction sho

I am going for that scene when QY changed her track suit to support WY , obvious pride from GC but i remember YM looking with almost a surprised look , like something clicked that this girl is amazing in her own way . :love:

For me every interaction between these two provided original action /communication , and its that unpredictability and nobody else could have  come up with their lines  , that created such beautiful entertainment for me throughout this drama . Every line was pure GEM and i feel very very happy that i had luck in finding and watching it. 

• Like 4

Finally done.

Some questions so their homeroom teacher, Mr.Gao became a bartender/owner of a bar after quitting teaching? Can someone explain the stars at his bar? I don't get the significance aside from the fact that he had bought the stars?

I really like how GC proposed his marriage to WY. It was really cute they used the spot where they asked each other out and re-act the same lines! I wanted more Dai Chuan and Alicia afterparts aside knowing they got together during the wedding. Like years after, did they get married too?

And hilarious that QY was the first love of this guy. Poor dude b/c YM totally ripped up that love letter. hahaha. I also find that the mink guy to be a funny villain and the bond with Dai Chuan is great when they later decide to team up.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Yui. said:

Some questions so their homeroom teacher, Mr.Gao became a bartender/owner of a bar after quitting teaching? Can someone explain the stars at his bar? I don't get the significance aside from the fact that he had bought the stars?

Yes, in one the episodes, he was talking with his students about what they hoped to be in the future.  At first he was advising them as a teacher should, but at a certain point after listening to his students, he realized he wasn't living his dream!  So he quit teaching and bought a bar.  What a beautiful bar it is, too!  In such a unique location.  My only concern is he never seems to have any customers there other than his students (who he says never pay him for their drinks).  :lol:  I really hope for Mr. Gao's sake that he has customers in those times that we do not see him with his students there.  Hee hee! 

As for the stars, in the book, Hao Wu Yi has a childhood sweetheart who breaks up with her.  Because she was so upset, he told her that if she folded 9,999 lucky stars before his birthday as a birthday gift, he'd get back with her.  It was an unreasonable request and one he never imagined she would actually be able to complete, since his birthday was just around the corner, but all the classmates pitched in to help HWY fold the stars.  In the end, the childhood sweetheart still broke up with her and about a year later, HWY donated the vase of stars for a fundraiser. Their homeroom teacher then purchased the vase and kept it by his desk always. 

In the drama, this is being told through a series of "special" short clips where Hao Wu Yu is trying to win back Da Xiong with these lucky stars -- you can find them in the Previews playlist.  I recommend scrolling all the way to the bottom and then make your way back up towards the top by watching those videos that have "special" next to them. 

3 hours ago, jadore1 said:

I am going for that scene when QY changed her track suit to support WY , obvious pride from GC but i remember YM looking with almost a surprised look , like something clicked that this girl is amazing in her own way .

Haha, really?  I always think of YM's look there as one of, "Oh great, there she goes getting herself in trouble again."  It's got a little bit of a wince to it.  :joy:

But actually there is one thing I struggle to understand about that scene.  In the book, when QY wears the wrong colored uniform in solidarity with WY, she comments, "Mr. F was terribly surprised, because the uniform I was wearing was his. He frequently left his blue school uniform under his desk as he was too lazy to bring it home."  I thought they were going to have her do the same thing in the drama because they showed Yan Mo arriving at school that morning wearing the wrong colored uniform, while carrying the correct one that he then changed into.  But any way I look at Qiao Yi once she changes uniforms, it looks like it fits her just fine.  It's not swimming on her like I would expect if she was wearing YM's uniform.  I wish she was wearing YM's uniform...

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

The last episode was amazing! It’s what I actually want for how the whole episodes should have been

Spoiler

It is not a secret of how I feel about the 2nd couple, The last episode focus mainly  on our yan mo and qiao yi, after the whole sadness of wu yi woes (that I just skipped anyway) at last we go back to the roots of the drama. Qiao Yi-Yan Mo and their sweet yet hilarious everyday interactions. 

One of my fav scene in the book didnt make it into the drama. The part where yan mo help qiao yi put on her sneakers. I’d gladly cut 2nd and 3rd couple storyline to add stories about qiao yi’s college-mates.

I understand that the 2nd couple are artists under Huace and they are getting pushed with this drama, but the whole makjang-ness really made the drama became ordinary, nothing special like the early episodes with the back and forth pace. I feel the drama didnt give the novel enough justice. 

Thankfully there are vids of the main couple scenes on youtube, I guess I will repeat their sweet and funny scenes again, I cant get enough of them 

• Like 4

YM isn't as  boring as I've first thought. He really shows his quirky sense of humour with QY after they got married.:blush:

When QY insisted they have to be thrifty in order to save money, he didn't show any emotion at all.

But as soon as QY got into the bathroom to bathe, he barged in with her insisting that they should bathe together in order to save water.:lol:

I was watching the final episode at the airport while waiting to board my plane. 

I really had a HARD TIME trying to control my laughter.:glasses:

• Like 3
12 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

The last episode was amazing! It’s what I actually want for how the whole episodes should have been

Reveal hidden contents

It is not a secret of how I feel about the 2nd couple, The last episode focus mainly  on our yan mo and qiao yi, after the whole sadness of wu yi woes (that I just skipped anyway) at last we go back to the roots of the drama. Qiao Yi-Yan Mo and their sweet yet hilarious everyday interactions. 

One of my fav scene in the book didnt make it into the drama. The part where yan mo help qiao yi put on her sneakers. I’d gladly cut 2nd and 3rd couple storyline to add stories about qiao yi’s college-mates.

I understand that the 2nd couple are artists under Huace and they are getting pushed with this drama, but the whole makjang-ness really made the drama became ordinary, nothing special like the early episodes with the back and forth pace. I feel the drama didnt give the novel enough justice. 

h

Thankfully there are vids of the main couple scenes on youtube, I guess I will repeat their sweet and funny scenes again, I cant get enough of them 

You read my mind. Thankfully, we have the main couple scenes the entire last episode. I wish they have included more thoughts of Joey from the book though. What a spoil when they add in dramatised fiction of the 2nd and 3rd couples. I would have liked them to have more screen time of Mr. F family especially his mother. I love her and Joey is lucky to have her mother and her mother-in-law.

• Like 4

This show had many heart felt moments, but also so many funny moments where I will never tire of watching and always bring a laugh.  My top two moments:  he “accidentally “ spills the water on the business card and cleans it up.  As soon as I heard him say “ah ya” I can’t help but laugh.  The line delivery and expressions were so perfect in that scene.  Also the persuasive speech he made to the love letter guy in the school field was so funny, i’m laughing now just thinking about it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

@AnmeiX2, I know exactly what you mean!  For those same reasons another favorite scene of mine - and one I rewatch all the time because it is never not funny - is the blind date scene.  I love the way he says, "Oh!   You're Hao Wu Yi!"  And then, "Oh, so you're a writer!"  I'm usually curled over from laughter by the time we get to, "Does your husband still beat you?"  And completely gone by the time he sips his water and says, "Don't panic.  Just keep lying."  Hahaha!! 

As YM's future stepfather observes (based on what his mom previously told him), YM does indeed have a very special type of humor.  :D  

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

Sorry, I didn't have time yesterday to post about yesterday's subbed episodes 29 and 30.  But actually, on the whole, I thought the subs were much better yesterday so I actually don't have many comments to make about them.

Episode 29:

• When QY runs into the Female Goddess, the subs have the latter saying that she "attended" a postgrad class at the Beijing Film Academy, but she was actually sharing that she'd "registered" for that class and QY responded with encouragement/support.
  • When QY asks the Female Goddess how her father is doing, the subs have her responding, "He came with me to Beijing last year," but what she really says is she brought him to Beijing last year.  I know there's not a lot of difference as the end result is the same - her father's in Beijing - but I prefer the more accurate translation because it highlights the filial aspect of her actions.
  • When QY creates a scavenger hunt for YM with herself as the end prize, the subs have her asking him if it was, "Interesting?" but she really asks him, "Was it fun?"
  • When HWY learns that GC hadn't been drinking with his coworker that night he came home drunk, she confronts him by asking, according to the subs, "Who did you drink with that day?"  But it's worth noting that what she really asks is, "Who were you fooling around with that day?"  As I said once before, with their past and GC's dating history, it was only a matter of time before WY's insecurities caught up with her.  This was a fight that needed to happen, IMO, because it allowed WY to express how she really felt about the status of their relationship in that moment, and GC also needed to learn about setting boundaries with other women once he was officially off the market.  Just glad it doesn't take them long to figure everything out and get back together!
  • When DC is at the police station with CYM/Alicia, the subs have him saying to the news reporter he punched, "She's okay today or I'll kill you," which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  His comment was more along the lines of, "It's only because she's not hurt today.  If she was, I'd kill you."

Episode 30:

• When QY calls YM drunk from the food stall, the subs have her asking him, "Who asked you to break up with me?" but what she really says is, "Who let you break up with me?"  The subs have HWY also saying, "You should bully QY, I'll kill you."  But as that doesn't make sense, what she really says is, "You dared to bully our QY, I'll kill you."
  • When HWY finally learns from her mom's secretary what's going on with her mom, the subs have the secretary telling her, "Mrs. Ding said she made you think she's gone to America," but of course what she really said was, "Mrs Ding said she'd let you think she went to America." 

See?  Not too many nitpicks.  :lol:  Which means I have space and time to comment on the problems that YM's company is facing!  I'm so glad episode 30 ends on a positive note because it is really hard watching him try to shoulder everything on his own.  For that reason, I really love the moment when he finds the note from his father reminding him that he's not alone.  YM and his father might be naturally distant, given how they lived during YM's formative years, but the love.  It's still there.  I think that's especially apparent from the fact that his father references both himself and YM's mother in that note.  I look forward to next week when we get to see QY take her turn at teaching YM about how to share burdens when you're in a relationship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Our couple's simple wedding (I read somewhere that it was held in their high school field) is one of the best I've seen in a drama. It is romantic yet heartwarming!:heart:

QY's dad in his wheelchair holding her hand marching towards YM was indeed very heartwarming.:lol: Remember dad promising her that he'll hold her hand on her wedding day. :love:

The dead pan YM for once showed his LOVE for his lovely beloved QY as she marched towards him. He also showed much conviction to QY's dad when he promised to take good care of her. I love the part where he professed his love for her publicly and asked her to marry him.:wub:

Best of all, he threw ALL CAUTION TO THE WIND when he kissed QY so PASSIONATELY in front of many guests. He wasn't SHY for once!!!:kiss_wink:

NB: Does anyone here knows the title of the song which was played during the wedding ceremony?:ph34r:

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, gladys57 said:

Best of all, he threw ALL CAUTION TO THE WIND when he kissed QY so PASSIONATELY in front of many guests. He wasn't SHY for once!!!:kiss_wink:

NB: Does anyone here knows the title of the song which was played during the wedding ceremony?:ph34r:

I loved that part of the ceremony the best too, haha!  So passionate, so lovely, and leaves no question in anybody's mind how he feels about QY even if he's not always overt in his actions. 

As for the song played, I believe it's this one:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm done! I'm so glad they included some of my favorite scenes from the book - spilling the water on the business card and the one with the former classmate who liked Qiao Yi (though I would have preferred it exactly like how it was in the book - Yan Mo was so petty lol).

The only lingering question I have is about Qiao Yi's job after they got married. Was she still working at the startup? It just seemed like she was a housewife. 

• Like 4

I also love the reconciliation scene a lot!:lol:

QY instantly ran out to meet YM with flour on her hands as she was in the midst of making tang yuan (rice balls). While hugging each other she confessed about the flour. :D

She even stained his cheek with flour. Our OCD YM was initially shocked but continued hugging her tightly as he really missed her a lot. :P

However it was PRICELESS to see him keep trying to remove her flour covered hands from hugging him back as his jacket was badly stained. It was super HILARIOUS!:blush:

It was also funny to see Dad's reaction when he saw them hugging. Then mum had to retrain dad from interrupting their "too long" hugging session. Comedy overload!:D

• Like 4

@gladys57, I rewatched that same scene last night too!  Love it.  The subtle changes in YM's expressions when she tells him her hands are covered in flour are just one of the many things I love about this actor and his ability to bring the character, YM, to life.  I find myself constantly watching his expressions because it's often through those minuscule movements that you really get to know what YM is feeling in each moment. 

Also, on a separate note, I kept wondering when we'd get to see that scene where YM blocks QY from getting hit by an eraser.  Turns out it was included in one of the special clips!  (See video linked below.)  Hope people are watching these special clips to see the side story of HWY and her break-up from Da Xiong as well as YM scaring off the guy who had a crush on QY in high school and wrote her a love letter. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
On 5/29/2019 at 9:32 PM, themarchioness said:

Yes, in one the episodes, he was talking with his students about what they hoped to be in the future.  At first he was advising them as a teacher should, but at a certain point after listening to his students, he realized he wasn't living his dream!  So he quit teaching and bought a bar.  What a beautiful bar it is, too!  In such a unique location.  My only concern is he never seems to have any customers there other than his students (who he says never pay him for their drinks).  :lol:  I really hope for Mr. Gao's sake that he has customers in those times that we do not see him with his students there.  Hee hee! 

As for the stars, in the book, Hao Wu Yi has a childhood sweetheart who breaks up with her.  Because she was so upset, he told her that if she folded 9,999 lucky stars before his birthday as a birthday gift, he'd get back with her.  It was an unreasonable request and one he never imagined she would actually be able to complete, since his birthday was just around the corner, but all the classmates pitched in to help HWY fold the stars.  In the end, the childhood sweetheart still broke up with her and about a year later, HWY donated the vase of stars for a fundraiser. Their homeroom teacher then purchased the vase and kept it by his desk always. 

In the drama, this is being told through a series of "special" short clips where Hao Wu Yu is trying to win back Da Xiong with these lucky stars -- you can find them in the Previews playlist.  I recommend scrolling all the way to the bottom and then make your way back up towards the top by watching those videos that have "special" next to them. 

OMG Thanks for sharing the playlist. I totally missed the special short clips! Mr. Gao is such a cool homeroom teacher haha!

Hao Wu Yi sweetheart, you mean Dai Xiong? The guy who cheated on her right? And thanks for explaining!

Spoiler

I can't believe I missed this special too.

Spoiler

The drunk sandwich scene is also one of my faves~

Spoiler

And this scene of WY and QY's friendship.

Spoiler

• Like 5
10 hours ago, themarchioness said:

@gladys57, I rewatched that same scene last night too!  Love it.  The subtle changes in YM's expressions when she tells him her hands are covered in flour are just one of the many things I love about this actor and his ability to bring the character, YM, to life.  I find myself constantly watching his expressions because it's often through those minuscule movements that you really get to know what YM is feeling in each moment. 

Also, on a separate note, I kept wondering when we'd get to see that scene where YM blocks QY from getting hit by an eraser.  Turns out it was included in one of the special clips!  (See video linked below.)  Hope people are watching these special clips to see the side story of HWY and her break-up from Da Xiong as well as YM scaring off the guy who had a crush on QY in high school and wrote her a love letter. :lol:

So thats what happened....i missed this whole scene ..thank you :)

• Like 1

Sooo quiet here... did everybody watch the raws and move on?  I'm still excited for the remaining five episodes to be released with subs this week!  And to celebrate, I did what I swore to @lynne22  I would not do.  I wrote a drabble/fanfic!  :lol:  Never say never, I suppose . . . Anyway, if you'd like to read it, it's below under the cut.  And if I have any objections to the subs for Episodes 31 & 32 tonight, well, I'm sure you'll hear from me again later.  :P 

Forever Home

(A drabble)

Spoiler

The first time Zhao Qiao Yi visited her parents in Nanchuan after she married was to celebrate her stepfather’s birthday.  In order to make the most of the long weekend, she and her brother, and their spouses, took the first flight out of Beijing one early Friday morning.  Which was how it came to be that she, her best friend and sister-in-law, Hao Wu Yi, were later seated around the kitchen table of her childhood home with her mother making dumplings while then men were centered around the television. 

“How is this fair?” Qiao Yi griped, not for the first time.

“Mei Mei,” Zhao Guan Chao called out from the couch, “Just accept your fate.” 

“I really think our mother must have picked me up from the trash can when we were babies, or something.  I don’t know how Guan Chao always gets out of everything while I have to act like the servant at home.”

“Are you just figuring that out?” her brother laughed.

“Should I help?” her husband, Yan Mo, asked.

“With what?” Guan Chao asked.  “Making sandwiches?”

Qiao Yi twisted around in her seat to glare at her brother.  “Don’t tease your brother-in-law like that.  His cooking has improved a lot recently and he now makes more than sandwiches.  I bet he could even out cook you in the kitchen now.”

“How does this look?” Wu Yi interrupted.

Qiao Yi inspected the dumpling she held up and sighed.  “Hao Wu Yi, how is it possible that with each dumpling you wrap your skills are actually getting worse?”

“I doubt it,” Guan Chao said in answer to his sister’s earlier comment.  “Do you see how my wife’s cooking skills are?  If I didn’t take to the kitchen every now and then, we’d starve.  I have to be better than your husband.”

Wu Yi stuck her tongue out at her husband.

“Stop fighting.”  Their mother sat back down at the kitchen table and started cleaning up some of the dumpling mess, ready to move on to the next dish.  “We have a lot more to do in preparation for tonight’s dinner.  Zhao Guan Chao, I just put a bunch of pots in the sink to soak.  Instead of messing with your sister, go in and wash them.”

It was Qiao Yi’s turn to laugh and stick her tongue out at her brother, as he marched sulking into the kitchen. 

“Is there really nothing I can do to help?” Yan Mo asked again.

“You just keep your father company,” his mother-in-law instructed.  “Keeping him out of trouble is help enough.”

“Listen to how my wife talks to me,” his father-in-law complained.  “Even on my birthday she nags and can’t say anything nice.”

“Now I know where Qiao Yi gets it.”

Qiao Yi dropped her spoon and turned to stare at her husband in disbelief while a waiting dumpling wrapper still sat in her paused hand.  When Yan Mo noticed her gaze, he simply winked and grinned back at her. 

~*~

Several hours later, the family finished eating dinner.  Congratulatory toasts had been made, and cake with candles had even been served too.  Over the festive meal, the family reminisced over past memories including the time Qiao Yi had invited her friends home to help celebrate another one of her stepfather’s birthday, both surprising and embarrassing her parents at the same time. 

When the hour grew late and the sky was dark, Guan Chao pushed back from the table and announced that it was time for him and Wu Yi to depart.  As Wu Yi was pregnant with twins, his mother quickly agreed saying that he should take her home to get some rest.  After all, it’d been a long day what with traveling, cooking, and entertaining.

As her mother hurried around the kitchen, packing up food to make sure Guan Chao and Wu Yi would have something to eat in the morning, Qiao Yi gave Yan Mo a subtle glance.  He caught the hint and they started to stand as well.

Their joint movement prompted both her mother and stepfather to pause and ask, “Qiao Yi, where are you going?”

Like Wu Yi, Yan Mo also had a family home nearby.  Naturally, they had assumed they would stay there since there was less room in her parents’ apartment. 

“Aren’t you staying with us?” her mother continued.

“Of course she’s going to stay here with us,” her stepfather answered.  “Where else would our daughter stay but with us?”

Qiao Yi looked helplessly at her husband.

Thinking quickly, Yan Mo answered, “I was just going to fetch our luggage from the car.”

“Ah!” his mother-in-law said.  “No wonder you didn’t have any with you when you walked through the door this morning.  That’s alright then, hurry on.  Do you need any help?”

“That’s okay.  I can handle it by myself.”

After Yan Mo left, Qiao Yi’s mother asked her.  “What do you think about taking your brother’s room for the weekend?  Yan Mo can have yours.”

“Ah?”

“Your father and I were discussing it last night.  On the one hand, it makes sense to have Yan Mo stay in your brother’s room.  After all, they’re both boys.  But it might be weird for him as well since it’d be like staying in a stranger’s room, even if they are also family now.  So then we thought maybe it’d be better if he stayed in your room.  He’s familiar with you.”

Qiao Yi listened to her mother’s circular logic and tried not to slap a palm to the forehead.  Instead, she held up her hand and said, “It’s fine.  I’ll stay in Guan Chao’s room.  Yan Mo can have mine.”

~*~

This was the first time since their marriage that Yan Mo and Qiao Yi were spending the night apart from one another. 

Yan Mo looked around the room.  This wasn’t his first time in Qiao Yi’s childhood bedroom, but it was the first time he’d had an opportunity to study it in detail.  He glanced around the room and rolled his eyes at all the posters and pictures of Jay Chou she’d plastered everywhere.  Big and small, walls and furniture, they came in every size and covered every surface.  He thought about it for a second and then smirked when he got an idea.  Slipping a picture from his wallet, he tucked it into the edges of the wooden frame outlining Qiao Yi’s dresser mirror. 

He stood back to admire his handiwork.  There.  That was much better.  Now amidst this bedroom that was decked out in homage his wife’s idol singer, there was also a picture of the two of them.

Yan Mo sat at Qiao Yi’s desk next.  He imagined her sitting in the same spot all those years ago struggling over her homework and studies, and smiled. 

Curiosity got the best of him and he slid the middle drawer open.  He found it completely empty along with the side drawers.  “How not suprising,” he muttered to himself. 

That was how Qiao Yi found him moments later.  Standing in the doorway, she asked him, “What are you doing?”

“Nothing.  Just sitting here.  Thinking.  Wondering.”

Qiao Yi walked over and sat on the bed next to him.  “Wondering what?”

“Wondering if you used to sit here in this very same place thinking about me.”

Qiao Yi leaned back against her arms and looked beyond her husband to the door.  “Maybe…” 

Then, intentionally changing the subject, she apologized to her husband. 

“For what?”

“For having to stay overnight.”

Yan Mo smiled at her.  “It’s not a big deal.”

“But we have to stay in separate bedrooms.”

“It’s okay.”

Qiao Yi pouted.  “You could be a little bit more disappointed, you know.  You’re not going to miss me?”

“I think I can handle it.”

When his answer had her pouting even harder, Yan Mo smiled and took her hands in his. 

“I know!” Qiao Yi said suddenly.  “You can sleep with my Doraemon doll for company.  Like how I used to.”

“Why?” he asked her.  “Did you used to pretend it was me?”

Yan Mo!”

Still laughing, he moved to sit next to his wife on the bed and took her into his arms.  “Alright, alright, I’ll stop teasing you.  I know you’re feeling bad about having to stay with your parents, but really.  It’s not any big deal.”

“It’s not fair though.  It’s clearly favoritism again.  Did you see how my mom practically pushed Guan Chao out the door?  There was never any expectation that he and Wu Yi would stay the night.  My mom knows your parents still have a house here too.  Why didn’t they think about how it’d be more comfortable for everybody if we stayed there?  Instead, we’re the ones stuck with these tiny bedrooms.  We can’t even stay in the same room.”

Yan Mo waited a pause before asking, “Qiao Yi, have you ever considered that you may be right about the favoritism, but in a different way?”

“Huh?”

Her husband sighed.  “Sometimes I really don’t know if my wife is just oblivious or stupid.”

Qiao Yi bat at his arm.  “Just get to the point.”

“You think your parents are making you stay with them as if it’s some sort of punishment, but I think it’s because they miss you.  Guan Chao’s Guan Chao, but you . . . You’re their precious daughter.  Imagine how reassuring and comforting it must be for them to have you under the same roof as them once more.”

Hearing Yan Mo’s explanation, Qiao Yi knew he must be right and didn’t have anything more to say.

“And besides,” her husband continued.  “Who says we can’t stay in the same room?”  Yan Mo fell intentionally backwards, taking his wife with him.

Splayed out on top of her husband, Qiao Yi giggled.  “There’s no way we’ll both fit onto this tiny bed together.”

“Who says?  Aren’t we doing that just now?” 

“But it can’t be comfortable for you,” Qiao Yi pointed out while laughing still.  “I’m practically on top of you.”

“It’s not ‘practically,’ it’s ‘in fact.’  But it’s okay.  Ever since I married you, I’ve grown accustomed to having my sleep interrupted by your poor habits.”

My poor habits?”

“Is there anyone else in our bed, besides you, who likes to steal the bed covers in the middle of the night and hook their arms and legs around my body?”

“No.”

“I rest my case.”

“Alright, fine.”

When Qiao Yi started to rise, he grabbed onto her arm and asked where she was going.

“To turn off the lights.”

At that, Yan Mo let her go and settled back down into bed. 

“Hurry back.”

The End

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's just that I'm getting lazier or more tolerant. I think the subs are actually improving some. But whatever the reason, I don't have a lot of comments regarding the subs for Episodes 31 and 32.  Here are the few that I have:

Episode 31:

• When YM is sleeping on the couch, dead to the world, and QY fears he's having a medical emergency, he rolls over and tells her to "Stop making a fuss," not "Come on..."
  • When QY and her mother are discussing HWY's sad situation, the subs have her mother describing HWY as "miserable," but it was really more like "unfortunate" because she had already lost her father and was about to lose her mother.
  • When QY is sharing her concerns with her high school teacher, the subs have her saying with respect to YM, "The company he founded was shut down."  While not incorrect, the more accurate translation is, "The company he worked so hard to build was shut down."  I like the more accurate translation there because it recognizes YM's efforts and also emphasizes why he is feeling such a heavy loss currently.
  • When QY looks at Lao Ye's picture and starts her monologue, the subs have her starting off with, "You think I have no idea what you're thinking about?"  But I would translate that as, "Don't think I don't know what you're thinking."  There rest of the monologue wasn't translated perfectly either, but it was good enough that I'm not going to nitpick over it.  Even if it is a speech that I love a lot.  So glad YM was present to overhear it!  He needed to hear it.

Episode 32

• When Qiao Yi is struggling to figure out whether the sandwiches YM gave her are expired, YM says to her (according to the subs), "I should've asked you to study math."  But what he really says (more or less) is, "Back then, I shouldn't have helped cover up for you in math."  
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5