[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Le Coup de Foudre 我不喜欢这世界,我只喜欢你

sugarplum892

I agree with you @gladys57! Chen You Mei grew on me, as well, and I found her character much more approachable by the end.  I also loved that she became friends with QY and HWY in the end.  Another moment I really appreciated was when she was hanging out with her two other "friends," who were of a similar background.  Unlike them, she wasn't catty and you can tell she actually takes pride in her work and doesn't just want to rely on her family's wealth.  I have a lot of admiration for that kind of character.  

My friend has asked me to write a fic about CYM and FDC, and as my friend never asks for anything, I'm inclined to indulge.  Just have to think of what to write about since it isn't an idea that came naturally to me... ;) 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been rewatching LCDF :tounge_wink: , my drama evaluation and  merit are definitely tied in to the amount of times i clicked back to re watch a drama ...so i am up to 3....first was without subs, 2nd with subs as they came out ...and now i am in full possession of all the subbed episodes and i can savour and indulge :wub:

.....and reading the book ...thanks to @themarchioness for reminding me that the book is on the first page link .  

Back with my third fic/drabble . . . This was a story I really wanted to tell because, if you're anything like me, the minute the drama ended, the brain went, "Babies!"  This doesn't get us quite there, but close.  You'll see what I mean after you read.  Hope you guys enjoy!  Story under the cut.

Forever Child

(A drabble)

Spoiler

Forever Child

When her niece and nephew turned two years old, Zhao Qiao Yi traveled to Nanchuan along with her husband, Yan Mo, in order to celebrate their birthdays along with the rest of the family.  It was there that she spent one afternoon taking the twins on a stroll through the park along with their mother and her best friend, Hao Wu Yi.

When they happened upon a stretch of grass with no one else nearby, Wu Yi spread out a blanket and set her children loose on top.  She and Qiao Yi then settled themselves on a nearby bench to keep a watchful eye over them as they chatted and caught up with each other’s news. 

Even though they both lived in Beijing, now that Wu Yi was juggling a writing career on top of the raising of two children and Qiao Yi was kept busy by the continued growth of Yan Mo’s company, the two friends had little time to meet and kept tabs on each other mostly through the phone.

“I can’t believe how much they’ve grown since I last saw them!”  Qiao Yi remarked.

“You haven’t seen them in over a month!” Wu Yi pointed out.

“I’m sorry.  But you know how things have been at work.  We launched a new app recently, and everyone’s been hard at work on it.  Especially Yan Mo.  I live with him and feel like I’ve hardly seen him for the past two months.  I’m pretty sure Dao doesn’t recognize him anymore,” Qiao Yi said, referring to their dog.  “This weekend is the first break he’s had in a while.”

“Is it really a break if he stays holed up in your bedroom on his laptop?”

Qiao Yi smiled wryly.  It was true.  She might have managed to wrangle Yan Mo out of Beijing for the twins’ birthdays, but she hadn’t been able to wrangle the laptop out of him.

Just then, Wei Miao ran over to interrupt by handing them each a clump of “flowers.”  Even though the bouquets consisted primarily of bits of grass and weed, Wu Yi and Qiao Yi still showered her with smooches, gratitude, and praise, before she ran back to join her brother, Wei Xiao, for a nap under the sun.

As they watched Wei Miao toddle back to the blanket, Qiao Yi commented on how adorable the children were, which prompted Wu Yi to ask, “Don’t you want one of your own?”

“Of course I do!”

“Then when are you and Yan Mo going to . . .”

“Wu Yi,” Qiao Yi cut off her friend.  “Do you realize how much you sound like my mother right now?”

“Speaking in seriousness, I don’t understand it.  It’s not like you don’t like kids.  I’ve seen you with mine.  You love them.  Even Yan Mo.  Even though he’s got that cold act thing going on . . .”

“I wish you wouldn’t call him cold, you know he’s not.”

“You know what I’m talking about.  And I know he’s not, but that’s my point.  It’s not that he doesn’t like kids either.  He’s really good with the twins, in fact, and I think he’d make a great father.”

At that, a mental picture came to Qiao Yi’s mind and she smiled fondly.  “Yes, he would.”

“So what’s the problem?”

Qiao Yi sighed heavily.  “I just told you how I’ve barely seen my husband in two months.  How can we have children when we’re always so busy with work?  At first, we held off because we wanted Panda Company to be more stable.  Even though things are a lot better now and things are stable, it’s still a lot of work.  There just hasn’t been a good time.”

“Qiao Yi, you can’t think like that.  If you do, there will never be a good time.  If it’s not one thing, it’ll be another.  First an app, then a new product, followed by an upgrade.  The way your company works, there’s always something going on,” Wu Yi reminded her.

“I know that.  But, it’s just . . .”

“There are no ‘buts.’  Children aren’t something you have after you’ve planned your life ever so carefully.  Children are something you have and then you plan your life around them.  At least, that’s how it was for me.”

Qiao Yi smiled, remembering the detoured path of her brother and best friend’s courtship.  “Maybe you’re right.” 

~*~

When the weekend ended, Qiao Yi and Yan Mo returned to their home in Beijing. 

Sometime after that there was another late night where Yan Mo was hard at work on his laptop and Qiao Yi was sitting next to him, watching the television, while playing with Dao’s paws.  A commercial came on for diapers and a roly poly baby danced across the screen. 

“Yan Mo, what do you think?  Don’t you think our Wei Miao and Wei Xiao are cuter than that baby?”

“Mm, they are cuter,” he answered, without even looking up.

“What would you think if it was our baby?  Do you think it’d be cuter?”

At that, Yan Mo looked up and wondered what his wife was talking about.  Seeing the dog next to her, he assumed that was the baby she was referring to and answered, “Sure, although he is a little hairier.”

“Yan Mo!  I’m not talking about Dao!”  Although she quickly leaned over to reassure him, “You’re very cute too,” lest his feelings be offended. 

“Then what are you talking about?  We don’t have a baby.”

“I was talking about if we had a baby.”

“Oh.  Sure.  It would be cuter.”

Qiao Yi crossed her arms in annoyance over the sofa pillow in her lap.  “What do you know?  You don’t even want to have kids.”

Yan Mo had just started working again when his hands paused over the laptop keyboard.  He scratched at the back of his neck and thought carefully.  He had a feeling that somewhere in the last five seconds, the conversation with his wife had just completely changed directions.

“What are you talking about? 

“I said, I know you don’t want to have kids.”

“When have I ever said that?”

“You haven’t said you wanted kids.”

“That doesn’t mean I’ve said I don’t want kids.”

“Then what does it mean?”

“I thought we were both in agreement to wait before having kids.  Until we were ready.”

Qiao Yi picked at the pillow cushion.  “We were.  I was.”

“There you go, then.  I was waiting for you to signal to me that you were ready.  I didn’t want to rush you.  You seemed to be enjoying married life and working without the responsibilities of children.”

“I think . . . I’m ready now,” Qiao Yi answered in a smaller voice.

Yan Mo considered this statement for a second and then responded by very seriously taking off his glasses and setting aside his laptop.  When he swept Qiao Yi up into his arms and rushed towards the bedroom, she hooked her arms around his neck and laughingly asked what he was doing. 

“You said you were ready.  I’m ready too.”  Calling back to the dog, he instructed, “Dao, close your eyes and don’t interrupt!” 

Out in the living room, Dao let out a small whine before settling his furry head in between his furry paws and resigned himself to the couch.

~*~

For their third wedding anniversary, Yan Mo surprised Qiao Yi with a trip to England.  More than the trip itself, Qiao Yi was especially surprised by the fact that Yan Mo was willingly taking almost two weeks’ worth of time away from the company.  When he responded to that observation with a sheepish expression, she knew there had to be more to the story.  That’s when he admitted.  There was an industry conference taking place in London that same week and his mother had been needling him to bring Qiao Yi for a visit. 

Rather than getting upset, Qiao Yi made him promise to one condition.  Apart from the three days he was needed at the conference, the rest of his time would be reserved for her and family.  Yan Mo agreed.

In the end, Yan Mo’s absence while he attended the conference was hardly felt.  For the three days he was otherwise occupied, Qiao Yi’s mother-in-law took her all across London.  Not only did they take high tea at Claridge’s, they also visited the National Gallery, gushed over the jewels housed at the Tower of London, and shopped at Harrod’s.  One evening, Yan Mo’s mother even took her to the Royal Opera House where her former ballet company had traveled to perform.  In addition to watching the members perform, Qiao Yi also got to visit and meet with them afterwards. 

When Yan Mo came home from his third day at the conference, Qiao Yi gleefully told him that she’d hardly missed him at all.

“I don’t think they even noticed you were gone,” his stepfather agreed.  “Your mother and wife have been thick as thieves these past few days.” 

Qiao Yi and his mother responded by linking their arms together and giggling conspiratorially.  They behaved more like sisters than a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. 

“I love having Qiao Yi here,” his mother said.  “She’s especially fun to go shopping with.”

“Don’t I take you shopping?” her husband protested.

“Yes, but it’s not the same as having another woman’s opinion.”

For the remainder of their visit, Eric and Yan Mo’s mother took them on a driving tour around England.  They spent a night in Bath, before traveling to Derbyshire where they toured several magnificent homes, including Chatsworth.  When Qiao Yi wondered what it would be like to live in such a stately home, Yan Mo commented that she’d have a lot of windows to clean.  When Qiao Yi asked him if that wasn’t what maids and other servants were for, he responded by asking if she would enjoy living on constant display.  At that, Qiao Yi sighed and went to find his mother, who not only indulged Qiao Yi in her fantasies but also participated.

“Imagine the beautiful dresses you’d be able to wear while throwing large parties in the grand ballroom!” her mother-in-law exclaimed.

Yan Mo and his stepfather sipped their bottles of water and looked away, feeling tortured by the mere thought.

After Derbyshire, they returned to London through Oxford where Yan Mo remained steadfast to his alma mater by proclaiming the latter “acceptable.” 

On the morning of their second to last day in London, Eric asked them over breakfast if they had any places they still wished to visit.  Qiao Yi looked at Yan Mo who gave her a subtle nod, and admitted that there was.  “I’d like to go to Hamleys, if that’s okay.”

“The children’s toy store?” her mother-in-law asked.

“Mm.”  Qiao Yi looked at her husband again before explaining carefully.  “We’ve actually been keeping a secret this entire visit.  It wasn’t done on purpose.  We didn’t have plans to tell anybody until things were farther along, but since we’re here.  We wanted to be able to tell you in person.  I’m pregnant!”

Both Yan Mo’s mother and stepfather broke out into instant smiles and excitement.  Of course the minute Qiao Yi had started speaking, they had suspected, but they were delighted to be proven correct.  There were insufficient words to express their joy.  Even Yan Mo broke out into a smile when his stepfather kept patting him on the back and saying, “Well done!” 

The remainder of the day was spent celebrating the unborn baby.  Yan Mo’s mother insisted on taking Qiao Yi back to the store so she could help her find fashionable maternity clothes to wear.  Qiao Yi was incredibly embarrassed, as she wasn’t even close to showing, but his mother insisted.  It was the same thing at Hamleys.  Whereas Qiao Yi had thought to purchase one or two things for the baby and her niece and nephew, her mother-in-law and Eric had different ideas.  Yan Mo had to remind his mother that there were limits to what they could pack and take home, but she responded, “I can mail them!”

~*~

Later that night, after the kids retired to their bedroom thoroughly exhausted from having been dragged around town, Eric found his wife in her favorite part of the house.  It was a little orangery tucked into the back of the house.  Completely encased by windows, the flowers and fruit trees in this room grew healthy and strong under the constant sunlight and after they married, Eric had installed an iron wrought bench so his wife could sit there and drink her tea. 

It was night time now, of course, so instead of sunlight there were twinkling stars. 

“What are you thinking about?” he asked, taking a seat next to her.

She smiled and reached for his hand, placing it in her lap.  “Qiao Yi and Yan Mo having a baby.”

“It’s a happy thought,” he agreed.

“It reminds me of when I was pregnant with Yan Mo.  I was so happy back then, so excited.”

He’d heard this story before, of how others had questioned her and whether she didn’t regret the damage having a baby would do to her dancing career, but his wife hadn’t cared.  She’d wanted the baby and she’d loved her son, and she’d proven everyone else wrong by showing that she could return to the dancing world even after having a child, and that she would eventually go out on top.

Still, he knew she had her regrets.

“I want to be with them when they have the baby.”

He’d known that’s what she would say. 

“I feel like I missed so much with Yan Mo.  I don’t want to miss knowing my grandchild as well.”

Eric pulled his wife close and laid her head against his chest.  He knew his wife’s heart and he remembered the promise he’d once made to her son.

“It’s okay.  When the baby’s born, you can go back for a visit.  In the next year or two, I’ll apply for a sabbatical.  I’m about due for one anyway.  We can spend at least a year in China while I do research, and during that time you can be with them.”

His wife sat up and swirled around.  “Really?”

“Really.  I’ve thought it all through already.  I knew it’s what you would want.”

She threw her arms around him.  “My husband, you really are the best!”

~*~

The next day, the foursome sat at the airport waiting.  It was almost time for Qiao Yi and Yan Mo to enter the gates and go through security, but Yan Mo’s mother was finding it difficult to let them leave.  She held on to Qiao Yi’s hand and wouldn’t let go. 

“Son, I don’t want you to leave.”

“Ma, you know I have to.  Don’t be like this.”

“Qiao Yi, listen to him.  Isn’t he the cruelest?”

“It’s okay, Ma,” Qiao Yi answered. “I’ll punish him severely for you once we’re on the other side of the gate.”

“You promise you’ll call often?  I don’t want to miss anything about the baby.”

“We’ll call, at least once a week, and send pictures and messages in between.”

“That’s not my promise,” Yan Mo warned.  “I didn’t say anything.  That’s your promise to keep.”

“He’s so mean,” Qiao Yi told his mother.  “But don’t worry.  I won’t let you miss anything.”  She knew as well how her mother-in-law felt about Yan Mo and his childhood, and was determined to make sure with this next generation, there would never be regrets or hurt feelings.

“I’ve already discussed things with Eric.  When the baby’s born, I’ll come back and stay with you for several weeks to help out.  I’m sure you’d prefer to have your own mother by your side, but I know it won’t be easy for her to travel to Beijing with your father so, if it’s okay with you, I’ll come in her stead.”

“Really?”  Qiao Yi gasped with surprise and pleasure.  “Of course you would be welcome!”

Yan Mo, on the other hand, had an unexpectedly different reaction.  “Ma, there’s no need for that!”

“Why not?” his wife asked him.

“Because if she visits, it won’t just be two children I’ll have to take care of, but three.”

Both his wife and mother exploded.  Yan Mo!”

The End

QY tried to pull a fast one on YM but was caught by him in that hilarious scene whereby she was trying to use  her new telephone number to solicit a "naughty business" with him. :glasses:

I almost choked on my food when YM instantly recognised her voice and reprimanded her for being too free! What an anti-climax for QY! Heeee!:blush:

Missing Teddy Bear FDC!:dissapointed_relieved:

He can be a girl's best friend too as he's the type of reliable guy whom a girl can easily develop a platonic friendship with.:wub:

I'm certainly glad that FDC was added into the drama as he certainly add more depth to the plot with his friendship with QY and kinship with YM. He was the LINK between our OTP. :D

Of course A LOVE SICK FDC brought comedic relief to the drama too. FDC is actually charismatic in his own way too!:love: 

46 minutes ago, gladys57 said:

Missing Teddy Bear FDC!:dissapointed_relieved:

He can be a girl's best friend too as he's the type of reliable guy whom a girl can easily develop a platonic friendship with.:wub:

I'm certainly glad that FDC was added into the drama as he certainly add more depth to the plot with his friendship with QY and kinship with YM. He was the LINK between our OTP. :D

Of course A LOVE SICK FDC brought comedic relief to the drama too. FDC is actually charismatic in his own way too!:love: 

Haha, yes, I liked how he so often served as a bridge for the OTP, particularly when he helped YM gain insight into a certain situation. I loved though how YM was willing to cut QY slack, the same could not be the same for his uncle.  :lol:  One of the best examples of that is when they were in high school and Da Chuan took QY to the PC room to relieve stress.  After YM yelled at her for not studying, etc., Da Chuan corrected him and pointed out that she had been trying to extra classes on the side. I liked how YM admitted fault and agreed he should apologize, But he still thought his uncle was in the wrong. Hee!

For the platonic relationship, my favorite example is when YM brings QY home with the dog and Da Chuan walks out of the shower without a shirt.  LOL.  YM's all, "Can you go put on a shirt?" and Da Chuan's basically, "What's the big deal?  We're all just friends here."  Hahaha.  He is the best teddy bear!  I'm glad the drama created his character, as well.

I'm pleased to note that YM's relationship with his dad was still good despite his discovering about his parents' divorce.:P

They obviously kept in touch as YM rushed home to China from UK when his dad had an operation.

Then his dad had a meal with him and talked about his business problems. It is indeed  thoughtful of dad to have met him during such a difficult time. Unknowingly dad had slipped a credit card into the pocket of his jacket. Awww! So sweet of him!:lol:

I love the touching scene when YM discovered the card in the pocket.:wub:

Best of all, DAD did turn up at his wedding!:heart:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice write up today .... one of my  Gems in The C Drama Crown for 2019   ... Le Coup de Foudre” is neither all fluffy and cheesily romantic nor overly sentimental and melodramatic; it’s a perfect mixture of everything and evokes the full spectrum of emotions. It’s definitely one of the big C-drama highlights of 2019!   :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished this drama and it has become my best Chinese drama ever. And I have watched good ones like "Boss and me" or "my amazing boyfriend",-just to mention a couple. 

Anyway... best C drama ever!!!! I will rewatch. 

39 minutes ago, emmafaye said:

I have just finished this drama and it has become my best Chinese drama ever. And I have watched good ones like "Boss and me" or "my amazing boyfriend",-just to mention a couple. 

Anyway... best C drama ever!!!! I will rewatch. 

You do not know how many times I have gone back and rewatch this drama again and again. Especially the last episode, honestly I watch it one everyday. So heart warming drama. I have watched every Janice Wu dramas and this drama cements her as my current most favourite actress. 

On 6/6/2019 at 5:05 PM, tdci said:

Watched 35 last night. After watching the wedding and their family life, I can not help but think they are dating or else they are a really good actor and actress. What's a journey we take with Jan Mo and Qiao Yi. This is my most favourite drama of all time. Now I am going to rewatch again from the beginning. 

I feel almost the same. It cannot be my drama of all time, because that would be Kdrama "my Ajusshi", or Korean version of "Mother", but Le coup de foudre is definitively my most favorite Chinese drama. And I will also rewatch soon 

11 hours ago, tdci said:

You do not know how many times I have gone back and rewatch this drama again and again. Especially the last episode, honestly I watch it one everyday. So heart warming drama. I have watched every Janice Wu dramas and this drama cements her as my current most favourite actress. 

She is definitively amazing. I have only seen her before in my amazing boyfriend, but here she really really has blown me away. 

Love her! 

Hello! Just finished the drama, after A Love So Beautiful. Realized that C dramas seem to favour the same type of male leads, the cold grouchy but brilliant types hmm... Comparing the two dramas, I liked the school storytelling in ALSB more, but the grown-up scenes in Le Coupe more.

I liked both couples but I think I am the minority when I say I liked the chemistry between GC/WY  slightly better than the OTP. The growth arc for GC is more and I liked how he tried to hold WY at arms length but yet can’t help but care for her.

Did anyone feel that WY is much prettier in longish hair in her promotion photos than in the drama itself? 

I watched the drama with plexvpn I purchased. I really like the love story of both of them. After separation and together, they will make their feelings deeper. Wu Qian’s acting is great.:wub:

• 3 weeks later...

I just happen upon this drama and just started it while waiting for subs for a few others.  There is something to be said for knowing the future and yet still being so touched and even a bit surprised in how this writer shows us the journey of love.  How the seed is planted and how over time it grows faces storms and yet is able to endure and bloom.  I think it's the slow pace that I am loving and the fact that we get to experience it step by step through her memories. Just like it's OST it's tenderness is worth watching...

Will place my thoughts on my favorite scene so far in spoiler as to protect those whom haven't seen this yet...

Spoiler

My favorite scene so far is her placing that tie around his neck while sharing the story of her parents.  Her Mothers love in wanting to tie it for her Dad.  And her Dads love in never learning to tie one because he loved her doing it for him.   It was sad in a way, watching him listening  to her words and feeling maybe for the first time even experiencing being taken care of in such a way.  Hearing what love can be like and while feeling her hands carefully tugging on that tie and his heart pounding within him.  It's no wonder he ran she was tugging on his heart even more...

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Another photo shoot with our OTP. Love this collection of photos! 

I'm surprised they're still doing photoshoots together, it's been a while since the show aired.  But no complaints from me!  They're as cute as ever and still one of my favorite OTPs!  :wub:

• 10 months later...

Just finish this slow drama... thank god for ff button... sigh

1. Why must the lead always be a smart boy with no expression

2. The female lead so timid and always speak too gently ( she is better in Skate Into Love)

3. They never said they liked each other at school and it ended just like that, with him leaving... sigh (but i liked that the 1st question he asked of her at the interview 9 years later, was, why didnt she go to uk with him?)

4. The 1st kiss just ended like that? 

5. The 1st Beijing kiss (ep24!) and no discussion after that? Being adults, they should have talk more?? They kissed so long in the car, im.sure there are things to talk about after that. GC went all the way in his relationship but not not the main leads.. hmm...

6. Gosh, the siblings relationship is LOVE!!!... i wish i had a brother like that!

7. The only salvage is probably the few snippets of their marriage life at the start of the dramas - i like the one when she went to the hotel and saying it feels like an affair and he sweept her off her feet, to act as if it is an affair

8.  The marriage proposal, just like that? One girl's dream to be proposed and the answer is just straight like that... haha... so unromantic.. sigh

9. Gald to hear the leads are dating! :D

Archived