sugarplum892

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Forever Home

(A drabble)

Reveal hidden contents

The first time Zhao Qiao Yi visited her parents in Nanchuan after she married was to celebrate her stepfather’s birthday.  In order to make the most of the long weekend, she and her brother, and their spouses, took the first flight out of Beijing one early Friday morning.  Which was how it came to be that she, her best friend and sister-in-law, Hao Wu Yi, were later seated around the kitchen table of her childhood home with her mother making dumplings while then men were centered around the television. 

“How is this fair?” Qiao Yi griped, not for the first time.

“Mei Mei,” Zhao Guan Chao called out from the couch, “Just accept your fate.” 

“I really think our mother must have picked me up from the trash can when we were babies, or something.  I don’t know how Guan Chao always gets out of everything while I have to act like the servant at home.”

“Are you just figuring that out?” her brother laughed.

“Should I help?” her husband, Yan Mo, asked.

“With what?” Guan Chao asked.  “Making sandwiches?”

Qiao Yi twisted around in her seat to glare at her brother.  “Don’t tease your brother-in-law like that.  His cooking has improved a lot recently and he now makes more than sandwiches.  I bet he could even out cook you in the kitchen now.”

“How does this look?” Wu Yi interrupted.

Qiao Yi inspected the dumpling she held up and sighed.  “Hao Wu Yi, how is it possible that with each dumpling you wrap your skills are actually getting worse?”

“I doubt it,” Guan Chao said in answer to his sister’s earlier comment.  “Do you see how my wife’s cooking skills are?  If I didn’t take to the kitchen every now and then, we’d starve.  I have to be better than your husband.”

Wu Yi stuck her tongue out at her husband.

“Stop fighting.”  Their mother sat back down at the kitchen table and started cleaning up some of the dumpling mess, ready to move on to the next dish.  “We have a lot more to do in preparation for tonight’s dinner.  Zhao Guan Chao, I just put a bunch of pots in the sink to soak.  Instead of messing with your sister, go in and wash them.”

It was Qiao Yi’s turn to laugh and stick her tongue out at her brother, as he marched sulking into the kitchen. 

“Is there really nothing I can do to help?” Yan Mo asked again.

“You just keep your father company,” his mother-in-law instructed.  “Keeping him out of trouble is help enough.”

“Listen to how my wife talks to me,” his father-in-law complained.  “Even on my birthday she nags and can’t say anything nice.”

“Now I know where Qiao Yi gets it.”

Qiao Yi dropped her spoon and turned to stare at her husband in disbelief while a waiting dumpling wrapper still sat in her paused hand.  When Yan Mo noticed her gaze, he simply winked and grinned back at her. 

~*~

Several hours later, the family finished eating dinner.  Congratulatory toasts had been made, and cake with candles had even been served too.  Over the festive meal, the family reminisced over past memories including the time Qiao Yi had invited her friends home to help celebrate another one of her stepfather’s birthday, both surprising and embarrassing her parents at the same time. 

When the hour grew late and the sky was dark, Guan Chao pushed back from the table and announced that it was time for him and Wu Yi to depart.  As Wu Yi was pregnant with twins, his mother quickly agreed saying that he should take her home to get some rest.  After all, it’d been a long day what with traveling, cooking, and entertaining.

As her mother hurried around the kitchen, packing up food to make sure Guan Chao and Wu Yi would have something to eat in the morning, Qiao Yi gave Yan Mo a subtle glance.  He caught the hint and they started to stand as well.

Their joint movement prompted both her mother and stepfather to pause and ask, “Qiao Yi, where are you going?”

Like Wu Yi, Yan Mo also had a family home nearby.  Naturally, they had assumed they would stay there since there was less room in her parents’ apartment. 

“Aren’t you staying with us?” her mother continued.

“Of course she’s going to stay here with us,” her stepfather answered.  “Where else would our daughter stay but with us?”

Qiao Yi looked helplessly at her husband.

Thinking quickly, Yan Mo answered, “I was just going to fetch our luggage from the car.”

“Ah!” his mother-in-law said.  “No wonder you didn’t have any with you when you walked through the door this morning.  That’s alright then, hurry on.  Do you need any help?”

“That’s okay.  I can handle it by myself.”

After Yan Mo left, Qiao Yi’s mother asked her.  “What do you think about taking your brother’s room for the weekend?  Yan Mo can have yours.”

“Ah?”

“Your father and I were discussing it last night.  On the one hand, it makes sense to have Yan Mo stay in your brother’s room.  After all, they’re both boys.  But it might be weird for him as well since it’d be like staying in a stranger’s room, even if they are also family now.  So then we thought maybe it’d be better if he stayed in your room.  He’s familiar with you.”

Qiao Yi listened to her mother’s circular logic and tried not to slap a palm to the forehead.  Instead, she held up her hand and said, “It’s fine.  I’ll stay in Guan Chao’s room.  Yan Mo can have mine.”

~*~

This was the first time since their marriage that Yan Mo and Qiao Yi were spending the night apart from one another. 

Yan Mo looked around the room.  This wasn’t his first time in Qiao Yi’s childhood bedroom, but it was the first time he’d had an opportunity to study it in detail.  He glanced around the room and rolled his eyes at all the posters and pictures of Jay Chou she’d plastered everywhere.  Big and small, walls and furniture, they came in every size and covered every surface.  He thought about it for a second and then smirked when he got an idea.  Slipping a picture from his wallet, he tucked it into the edges of the wooden frame outlining Qiao Yi’s dresser mirror. 

He stood back to admire his handiwork.  There.  That was much better.  Now amidst this bedroom that was decked out in homage his wife’s idol singer, there was also a picture of the two of them.

Yan Mo sat at Qiao Yi’s desk next.  He imagined her sitting in the same spot all those years ago struggling over her homework and studies, and smiled. 

Curiosity got the best of him and he slid the middle drawer open.  He found it completely empty along with the side drawers.  “How not suprising,” he muttered to himself. 

That was how Qiao Yi found him moments later.  Standing in the doorway, she asked him, “What are you doing?”

“Nothing.  Just sitting here.  Thinking.  Wondering.”

Qiao Yi walked over and sat on the bed next to him.  “Wondering what?”

“Wondering if you used to sit here in this very same place thinking about me.”

Qiao Yi leaned back against her arms and looked beyond her husband to the door.  “Maybe…” 

Then, intentionally changing the subject, she apologized to her husband. 

“For what?”

“For having to stay overnight.”

Yan Mo smiled at her.  “It’s not a big deal.”

“But we have to stay in separate bedrooms.”

“It’s okay.”

Qiao Yi pouted.  “You could be a little bit more disappointed, you know.  You’re not going to miss me?”

“I think I can handle it.”

When his answer had her pouting even harder, Yan Mo smiled and took her hands in his. 

“I know!” Qiao Yi said suddenly.  “You can sleep with my Doraemon doll for company.  Like how I used to.”

“Why?” he asked her.  “Did you used to pretend it was me?”

Yan Mo!”

Still laughing, he moved to sit next to his wife on the bed and took her into his arms.  “Alright, alright, I’ll stop teasing you.  I know you’re feeling bad about having to stay with your parents, but really.  It’s not any big deal.”

“It’s not fair though.  It’s clearly favoritism again.  Did you see how my mom practically pushed Guan Chao out the door?  There was never any expectation that he and Wu Yi would stay the night.  My mom knows your parents still have a house here too.  Why didn’t they think about how it’d be more comfortable for everybody if we stayed there?  Instead, we’re the ones stuck with these tiny bedrooms.  We can’t even stay in the same room.”

Yan Mo waited a pause before asking, “Qiao Yi, have you ever considered that you may be right about the favoritism, but in a different way?”

“Huh?”

Her husband sighed.  “Sometimes I really don’t know if my wife is just oblivious or stupid.”

Qiao Yi bat at his arm.  “Just get to the point.”

“You think your parents are making you stay with them as if it’s some sort of punishment, but I think it’s because they miss you.  Guan Chao’s Guan Chao, but you . . . You’re their precious daughter.  Imagine how reassuring and comforting it must be for them to have you under the same roof as them once more.”

Hearing Yan Mo’s explanation, Qiao Yi knew he must be right and didn’t have anything more to say.

“And besides,” her husband continued.  “Who says we can’t stay in the same room?”  Yan Mo fell intentionally backwards, taking his wife with him.

Splayed out on top of her husband, Qiao Yi giggled.  “There’s no way we’ll both fit onto this tiny bed together.”

“Who says?  Aren’t we doing that just now?” 

“But it can’t be comfortable for you,” Qiao Yi pointed out while laughing still.  “I’m practically on top of you.”

“It’s not ‘practically,’ it’s ‘in fact.’  But it’s okay.  Ever since I married you, I’ve grown accustomed to having my sleep interrupted by your poor habits.”

My poor habits?”

“Is there anyone else in our bed, besides you, who likes to steal the bed covers in the middle of the night and hook their arms and legs around my body?”

“No.”

“I rest my case.”

“Alright, fine.”

When Qiao Yi started to rise, he grabbed onto her arm and asked where she was going.

“To turn off the lights.”

At that, Yan Mo let her go and settled back down into bed. 

“Hurry back.”

The End

Thanks for sharing this!  I enjoyed reading it.  Even though Ep 35 was a pretty satisfying ending for our couple, I miss them and would love to "see" more of them if you're in the mood to continue writing!  

giphy.gif

@owlstar, I feel the same way.  Can't get enough of them and wish we could watch them forever.  :lol:  I've already started working on the second drabble... I alluded to the topic in a prior post as something I've been curious about for a while now.  ;) 

And thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Ok i give in....thanks to @themarchioness providing subsequent forever home above, did this book have a "good" english translation and if available ??? 

As you can see i faithfully check back and last night i rewatched 34 and 35 again ...i forgot how he proposed lol  

3 hours ago, themarchioness said:

@jadore1, the book is great!  You can find a link to the translated novel in the very first post of this forum.  :)  

@themarchioness did i mention that your are our GodMother with this drama ...so just saying thank you is not enough. I went back to the first post and started reading the book .  :heart:

I find the hype for this drama overrated. Like the plot's nothing new, it felt like a Chinese version of Itazura Na Kiss? 

I do enjoy the banter between our OTP, but really it's Qiao Yi's relationship with her brother that gets me. 

Idk I sort of dropped this after 30 ep. Not sure why exactly LoL. Perhaps the story seemed redundant to me. 

Finished the drama recently and it's my favorite drama of the year so far and definitely among the best romcom dramas that I have watched.

What I love about this drama is that it's not only about the love story between the leads but also functions as a loving tribute to sibling relationships, parental/familial relationships and friendships. Based on the drama you get a real sense that Qiao Yi cares deeply about the people in her life and greatly values the impact they've had on her life. The longing and regret for missed opportunities and time lost is also felt not only in the leads relationship but in Yan Mo's + mom and Wu Yi's + mom. In general, there's a deep respect for parents and single parents for what they had to go through. It's not necessary to shift the blame around, let's just make the most out of the time we can spend together. 

I had a couple minor complaints but all of the beautiful moments continued to add up to the point where I could easily overlook them. Definitely a drama that I will cherish and I am thankful the author decided to share her story with us. I should probably get around to reading the novel sometime since I enjoyed this so much..

My corrected translations for Episodes 33 & 34 are admittedly me being nitpicky.  But as you've probably noticed by now I often prefer the more correct form because I feel it adds a little something extra.  And I think our beloved characters deserve that something extra, don't you?  ;)  

Episode 33:

• When Qiao Yi is telling YM that she feels certain she'll be able to win over the Professor and get him to help them develop their app, the subs have YM asking her, "Why are you so confident?"  The more accurate translation though is, "Where do you get your confidence?"
  • After they help the Professor down from the tea garden, when the Professor keeps trying to decline their help and send them away, QY remarks, "Stop pushing us away," but the subs leave off her saying, "At a time like this."
  • The Professor responds by telling QY, "I've never seen anyone so cheeky like you," but the "cheeky" really should've been "thick-skinned," and he was referencing both QY and YM, not just QY.
  • After YM fixes the tape recorder for one of their neighbors, the subs have QY proudly exclaiming, "You're good at everything!"  But she really said, "I said you were good at everything!"  [Her phrasing connotes that she knew from the beginning he'd be capable of fixing the tape recorder because she's that confident in his many talents and abilities.]
  • When YM has his idea for the app and calls Wang Wei, the latter comments that what YM wants will be complicated.  YM responds, according to the subs, "I won't ask you if it's not.  Figure it out," which is a rather clunky way of saying, "If it wasn't complicated, why would I seek you out?  Go figure it out."  The subs then have Wang Wei responding, "Idol, I'll keep waiting for you," except he really says, "Idol, I've been waiting for your return."
  • When YM and Da Chuan are discussing business matters and Da Chuan apologizes for losing their one investors, YM tells him it's okay and adds, per the subs, "You've done your job."  But what he really says is, "You've tried your hardest."   I love that YM recognizes his uncle's efforts.  They may hit bumps in their road every now and then, but these two are always there supporting each other along the way.
  • When YM and QY have what they think is going to be their last meal with the Professor, he announces that he will be returning to Beijing with them to help work on the app.  QY responds that he needn't "bother" going through all that trouble, as they can just work with him long distance.  The Professor responds, according to the subs, "Why bother?" but what he really says is, "What do you mean 'bother'?"  After he explains his reasons for following them to Beijing, the subs have QY responding, "As you said," but she actually says, "We'll listen to you."  [It's an expression of obedience.]
  • YM asks the Professor why he was in the tea garden that one night, and the Professor responds, per the subs, "That day was to memorize her death," but it should've been, "That day was the anniversary of her death."  When he adds that he goes there every year on that day to "visit" her, it's worth noting that the expression he actually uses is, "keep her company."  
  • When the subs have QY asking the Professor, "When did she pass away?" she actually asks him, "How long has it been?"  Which is why the Professor answers in a numbers (years/days) count.
  • When QY asks YM, "When did you start to like me?" she actually phrases it as, "When did you start to secretly like me?"  YM answers, "If there's an opportunity one day, I'll tell you," rather than, "I'll let you know someday."  
  • When QY and GC are shopping, she asks her brother to help chip in for their mother's bracelet.  At one point, the subs have GC saying as part of his response, "Are you awake now?" But it should've been, "Have you not yet woken up?"

Episode 34:

• When GC explains his changed his stance on marriage, he says to QY, per the subs, "I want to give her a home."  家, the word used by GC, can mean "home."  But it can also mean "family," and I think that's what he was really trying to express -- he wants to give HWY a family (since she's lost both her parents).  
  • When GC finishes his explanation, the subs have QY responding, "This is the first time ever for you to say such beautiful words."  But that was a short cut way of saying, "These are the most manly words I have ever heard you say since you came out of our mother's womb."  
  • When DC and Chen You Mei/Alicia are video chatting, she proclaims herself to be a very busy person and DC comments, "That's what you said the last time too," not "Like what you said the last time."  Alicia then signs off by saying to him, "I'm not talking to you anymore," not "So much for it."  [Also, as a side note, she doesn't mean that she's not going to talk to him anymore in a forever sort of sense.  It's just an expression people use in Chinese to end conversations.]
  • When YM is talking on the phone with DC and asks if QY is "off duty," he just meant "off work."  I love how YM is always protective of QY and has her well being first and foremost in his mind.  The whole world could go to pieces around him, including his own life, and the only thing he would be concerned about was whether QY was okay -- that's some deep love!
  • When YM comes home and QY is trying to talk to him on the park bench, she asks him, "Why are you are not paying attention to me?" not "Did you hear me?"  She then asks him if she's being too chatty, not, "Tired of me murmuring?"  YM responds that yes, she is quite chatty (not that she murmurs a lot).  He then adds, "But since I have to listen to you for the rest of my life, I just have to get used to it and I'll be fine," not, "I have to listen to you for the rest of my life.  I'll get used to it."
  • When QY and YM are video chatting while she's at work, she takes a phone call from her stepdad.  After they hang up, YM asks her, "Is there something going on at home?" not, "Any affair?"
  • When YM arrives at the karaoke bar when QY and her girlfriends are out drinking, GC says to him, "YM, come take care of your bride," not, "YM, come look at your bride."  
  • When QY's parents are discussing her being drunk, her mother comments, "You're about to get married.  Stop being childish.  That's inappropriate for you."  But what she really says (to her husband), "You say [a form of saying, "Look at her"], she's about to get married and she's still like a child.  Acting inappropriately."  
  • When HWY presents QY with a gift, the subs have her brother saying, "I paid her bill."  But the more accurate expression was, "I paid the bill.  She made the effort."  [It's a play on words because both expresions start with the word, "chu": "chu qian" - paid money, "chu li," - expended effort.]

Bonus: if you were wondering why HWY accepted GC's marriage proposal with, "Huang Pu Tie Niu!" this phrase/name is from the book.  (See further explanation under the cut.)

Spoiler

HWY was working at a publishing company and complaining to Joey about all the manuscripts she had to review.  She said they were all "varying forms of how the domineering president of a company falls in love with the female lead."  When Joey observed that was the type of books readers loved to read, HWY responded, "In actuality, I'm sure the readers are already tired of these types of novels.  These writers ought to write something different and fresh!"  The two friends then started joking around suggesting different parodies of the theme.  When Joey suggested the title, "First marriage then love: the obstinate wife of the secretary," HWY produced a synopsis for the novel with the main character, a farmer, named, "Huang Pu Tie Niu."  The translator of the novel adds a footnote that explains, "Huang Pu Tie Niu directly translates to the Iron Cow from Huang Pu.  This is meant to be a joke because the novelists tend to gift their male leads with extremely cool sounding names, whereas the male lead here was clearly named after his farmer background."

Credit: https://dramasbooksandtea.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/i-dont-like-this-world-i-only-like-you-chapter-16-1-kill-all-those-mary-sues/

Only one more episode left, my friends... I'm half filled with anticipation and half filled with dread.  Not ready to say farewell to this lovely group of characters or this beautiful story!

Watched 35 last night. After watching the wedding and their family life, I can not help but think they are dating or else they are a really good actor and actress. What's a journey we take with Jan Mo and Qiao Yi. This is my most favourite drama of all time. Now I am going to rewatch again from the beginning. 

My last post re: translations... *sniffs*  

Episode 35

• When HWY finally reveals her "big surprise" at the wedding, QY says, per the subs, "It's so nice of you!"  But her reaction should be more properly understood as, "Why are you so nice to me?!" which would then explain HWY's response, "Because you're my honey."
  • When HWY and GC reveal that they're expecting, the subs have GC saying, "You'll be the aunt," but again it is more properly phrased as, "Be the aunt as well."  This makes more sense in the context of what's being said at that time.  Specifically, HWY starts off by commenting that since she's already a bride for the day, and then trails off not sure how to continue, which is why GC then takes over by saying she should be an aunt as well.  
  • Similar to the above, although the subs have GC sharing that, "She's pregnant with twins," what he really says is, "This time it's twins."  The phrasing matters because of the context.  After QY learns her friend is pregnant, there's a split second where she wonders if it's real or if it's going to turn out to be last time again.  That's when HWY pouts that she and GC had the same reaction to her news, which is why GC steps in again to add that it's for reals this time and, in fact, they're having twins.
  • When they're in England and YM finally learns of QY's visit to Cambridge all those years ago, he steps away.  QY asks him if he's mad and, in response, he grabs her close for a hug.  He then tells her, "In the future, don't be like that again," not "No silent treatment."  (What does that even mean?  LOL.  And the subs had been doing pretty well all through that scene too, sigh.)
  • When everyone is gushing over the pics of the twins, and Stepdad says he thinks they take after him, GC cuts in to say, "Apparently they look like me."  Swap out "obviously" for "apparently," and that'll make much more sense.  
  • GC goes on to wax poetic about his children and the subs have him saying at one point, "Look, they're good boys," but it's worth noting that he never comments on their gender.  Instead, he uses the pronoun, "they" to say they're well-behaved, and of course we learn minutes later when Stepdad gives them names that one is a boy and the other a girl.
  • When QY finally learns about Liao Rui having a crush on her back in high school, she and YM walk away from the restaurant whereupon she says, per the subs, "I've heard you had a thing for Liao Rui."  She should be more concerned if that was the case.  :P What she really says is, "I heard you have a bit of a past with this Liao Rui."
  • In one of their after marriage scenes where they're having dinner and squabbling, the subs have QY saying, "S--t, it means you're mean," and I don't know.  Seeing profanity suddenly come out of QY seemed weird.  It doesn't really fit her personality.  Moreover, I don't even think the expression fits their conversation.  The word she uses can also mean (colloquially), "nonsense," or "rubbish," and since nobody uses "rubbish" in this day and age, I'd go for "nonsense."  I think that fits her comment better anyway.
  • After QY changes her outfit multiple times in order to attend a wedding, the subs have YM walking up to her and asking, "Are you okay?" but he really asks, "Are you ready?"
  • In the scene where QY oversleeps and misses her flight, it starts off with YM commenting, per the subs, "Your flight is at 7 am tomorrow," but I prefer the more accurate translation, "You booked a flight for 7 am tomorrow," because it conveys his disbelief that she would willingly do something like that when they both know she's not a morning person.  He doesn't think she'll able to wake up in time for the 7am flight and, as it turns out, he was right.  
  • In the scene where YM goes out at night to pick up QY because it's raining out, it starts with YM answering his phone.  The subs have him asking, "You're out?"  And I know this is really nitpicking of me, but I prefer the actual translation which is, "You're not at home?"  I just like it better. :) 

As far as drama endings go, I have to say, IMO, that was one of the best last episodes ever for a drama.  It's no secret how I have loved Le Coup from start to finish, and I'm just glad it never let me down at any point.  I will miss it, but I look forward to rewatching it in the future, and I will think of these characters as being somewhere out there, living their best lives.  At least we know YM and QY are real, and thus really are.  ;) 

Two other comments I would make specific to Episode 35 is how, it took me like 10 rewatches before I caught last night, that moment after the wedding where YM is clearly smiling and laughing with QY, when it's just the two of them.  But the minute his old classmates join them on the dais calling for a photoshoot, he turns around and assumes his usual stone cold sober face, LOL.  Second, I really loved and found it interesting how, in QY's voiceover when they're in England, she says it was YM who taught her that everyone is born with the ability to love.  I find it especially poignant given how, because of his naturally taciturn ways, everyone assumes he's the emotionless one.

Finally, planning on two more drabbles/fics for this drama... so check back!  :D  

I just started watching this, and absolutely love it so far. :wub:

But I am disappointed that they seem to have cut some important scene for WY (and GC) between episode 7 and 9. In episode 7 after they escape the bookstore owner WY is last seen following her boyfriend and probably discovering he is cheating but we don't see it. Or how they breakup. And in episode 9 she is crushing on GC and having a flashback to him saving her in from of her ex but they did not show that scene in full to see what exactly happened there and what's up with the box she is holding.  :tears: I hope they show it later ...

EDIT: Never mind. Thanks, @themarchioness

@selen4ever, I'm glad you found the special videos. I saw your message earlier but before I had a chance to reply, you found them on your own.  YAY!  :D  I'm glad you've joined the thread - welcome.

Also, as promised.  I'm returning with my second drabble.  As I said before when the drama ended, it randomly occurred to me that we never heard anything more about YM's younger half-brother.  While I don't think the drama needed to take the time to tell us that story, as it might have turned draggy, it was a passing thought I had and I was curious.  So I decided to write a story about that.  Hope you enjoy it - it's under the cut.

Forever Brothers

Spoiler

Forever Brothers

When Yan Mo arrived early to work one winter morning, he spied someone waiting outside his company’s front door and paused some distance away.  This wasn’t a normal sight and he wondered if he should be concerned.  After all, the offices for Panda Company weren’t along some major thoroughfare and foot traffic in the neighboring area was supposed to be practically nonexistent at this ungodly time of day.  He considered the possibility that it might be a homeless person seeking refuge under their portico, but even from this distance and despite the morning’s darkness, Yan Mo could tell that the black padded coat the stranger was wearing was of some quality.

Having no choice but to confront the situation, Yan Mo pressed on.

As he drew closer, he could see that the stranger was a lot younger than he had expected.  And the reason the stranger had looked so big and bulky from far away was because along with the padded coat, this person was also carrying a black backpack that blended in to the coat.

Purposely jingling his keys to alert the other person of his arrival, Yan Mo stepped up to the stoop.  “Excuse me, can I help you?”

At his voice, the stranger lifted his head and turned in Yan Mo’s direction.  And that’s when Yan Mo saw, just under the yellow glow of the street lamp, a face that looked so hauntingly like his own.

This was no stranger.  This was his half-brother.

“Yan . . . Xu?”

The boy nodded his head and studied him back.  “You’re Yan Mo, then.”

“Have you been waiting a long time?  You must be cold.”

“I took the overnight bus and arrived some while ago.”

“You’re probably hungry then.  Follow me.”

Without saying another word, Yan Mo turned in the opposite direction and led his younger brother to a nearby breakfast spot.  Normally popular with the crowds, it was empty but for employees at this hour.

Yan Mo led his brother to a table.  “What do you like?”

“Anything would be good.”

Yan Mo nodded his head.  Without needing to consult the menu, he said to the waitress, “We’ll have two bowls of soy milk.  Warm.  And two bowls of your house special congee and an order of soup dumplings.”

It was more than Yan Mo was accustomed to eating for breakfast, but he figured if his brother had taken the overnight bus, then he very likely hadn’t had much to eat for dinner the night before either.

As they waited for their food, the two brothers stared at each other wordlessly.  The fact was, although they were related, they might as well have been strangers.  Until this moment, they had never met.

“How did you . . . why did you come find me?” Yan Mo finally asked.

Yan Xu also took his time in answering, and Yan Mo could tell, there were emotions simmering underneath that he was trying to keep under control.  “I found your picture in my father’s desk recently, but when I asked my mom about it, she scolded me for being in some place where I didn’t belong.  It wasn’t until later, when my dad came home, that he sat me down and told me I was finally old enough to know.  He was married once before and he had another son.  I had a brother!  Can you believe that?”

Of course Yan Mo could believe him.  He could also understand and relate.  The anger, the disbelief, the sense of betrayal, and the shock.  He knew exactly what Yan Xu was feeling, because once upon a time, he’d experienced the same.

“Did you run away from home?”

Yan Xu ran the back of his hand against his reddened eyes and sniffled.  “I didn’t know where you lived, but they told me your name and when I searched online, I found your company’s address.”

“Your parents must be very worried.  Take off your jacket and go wash your face.  I’ll call them while you’re in the bathroom, and then we’ll talk.  Over breakfast.”

Yan Xu left to do as instructed, and Yan Mo did as he promised.  After he reassured his father that Yan Xu was with him, and that he’d keep him safe until his father could come for him, Yan Mo placed one more phone call.  He was just finishing up when Yan Xu returned along with the waitress and their food.

“Eat.  It’ll help warm you up.”  Yan Mo passed him an extra plate for the soup dumplings.  After a few bites, he set down his chopsticks and clasping his hands under his chin, asked, “What would you like to know?”

Yan Xu paused with his spoon still stuck mid-scoop in his bowl and asked after a while, “Why?”

Why, indeed?  Such a simple question, made up of only three little words*, and yet, it could cover a whole lot of sentiments and questions.

Yan Mo remembered when he’d asked the same question of himself.  At the time, he’d wondered: Why did my parents hide this from me?  Why did my parents never tell me?  Why is there this whole other family that I know nothing about?  And why am I supposed to be suddenly okay with this?

He imagined Yan Xu was probably feeling the same.

“I suppose, only our parents can actually answer that question, but I choose to believe it was an act of love.”

“Love,” his younger brother scoffed.

“That’s right.”

Yan Mo thought back to that time of his life when he’d been in his final year of high school, and learned that his parents had actually divorced many years earlier and that his father had remarried and had another son.  While still reeling from that shock, his father had delivered another request.  To keep himself hidden from his new family because his other son was still young and didn’t know.  As a result, Yan Mo had only met his stepmother a handful of times after that, but never his brother.

Yan Mo wasn’t certain what was right or what was wrong, he only knew, these were the choices his parents had made.  Although they’d lied, they’d also done so with the instinctive reaction to protect.  He’d long since made his peace with his parents’ choices, and he knew given time, Yan Xu would as well.

“Eat,” he told his brother.  “Everything will be alright.”

Yan Mo and Yan Xu were midway through their breakfast when Zhao Qiao Yi arrived.  “Is this him?” she asked her husband.

“This is Yan Xu,” he confirmed.  To Yan Xu he said, “This is your sister-in-law.”

“Hi!  Yan Xu!”  Qiao Yi greeted him in her typical cheerful fashion.  She took a seat next to her husband.  “It’s so nice to meet you finally.  The two of you must have had much to talk about this morning.  What a surprise!”

“Hello, Sao Sao.”  Yan Xu’s greeting was shyer and more subdued.

“It’s okay, continue eating.  Don’t let me interrupt.”

“Did you want to get anything?” Yan Mo asked her.

“No, I’m alright.  I ate a little something at home before coming out.”

“After we’re done here, would you take Yan Xu home and help him get settled?”

“Oh, sure, I can do that.  It’s just,” Qiao Yi scratched at her temple.  “I was supposed to be on that conference call this morning.”

“That’s okay.  I’ll get someone else to cover it for you.”

“Okay!  That’s not a problem then.”

After she watched Yan Xu eat for a few minutes, another thought occurred to her.  “Hey, do I still get paid for today?”

Both brothers looked at her.

“What?  It’s a reasonable question.  If you think about it, it’s not me who’s wanting to take a day off from work.  It’s my boss who’s asking me to take the day off.  Surely that counts as a work-related request, don’t you think?”

“Nice.  I think of myself as your husband, but you think of me as your boss . . . “

“I’ve told you before, when it comes to matters related to money, like my paycheck, we must be precise in our accountings!”

Yan Mo shook his head, and merely said to Yan Xu, “If you’re done, you can go back with your Sao Sao and get some rest.  You must be tired.”  To Qiao Yi, he flicked a finger down her nose and instructed, “Treat him well.”

~*~

In the end, Yan Xu ended up spending a week with them in Beijing.  After Qiao Yi took Yan Xu home that first morning, Yan Mo had called his father again and suggested that maybe it would be good for the brothers to spend some time together, getting to know one another.  His father had agreed.

In that week, Yan Mo introduced his brother to Fei Da Chuan.  While technically not related, since he and Da Chuan were related through the maternal line, they were all still family.  Da Chuan immediately took Yan Xu under his wing and gave him a tour of Panda Company and all of its operations.  It was through this experience they learned; Yan Xu was also a budding amateur computer programmer.

On the last night of Yan Xu’s visit, Qiao Yi sat at the dinner table with Da Chuan next to her.  They were both sporting aprons and bandanas in their hair, and the table in front of them was covered in dishes made up of their best combined efforts.

“Do you think we’re going to get to eat any time soon?” Da Chuan asked.

“What do you think?”

With their chins over their fists, they watched Yan Mo and Yan Xu in the living room, deep in conversation and working animatedly on their laptops.  It was as if they had forgotten there was anyone else in the apartment with them, let alone right across the room.

Da Chuan watched them for about a minute longer before tearing off the bandana from his head and throwing it onto the table.  “I give up!” he told Qiao Yi.  Hungry and never able to resist the temptation of delicious foods, Da Chuan dug into what was supposed to have been Yan Xu’s farewell dinner.

~*~

The next morning, Yan Mo came home after spending a few hours at the office to await his father’s arrival and see his brother off.

When he arrived home, Qiao Yi was just stepping out of the bathroom having obviously come out of the shower.  “Did you just wake up?”

“No!  I’ve been up for a while.  I just didn’t take a shower earlier.”

“Really?  Are you sure you weren’t still sleeping when I called a little while ago to tell you I was on my way home?”

When Qiao Yi answered by biting her fingernail, he looked in the direction of his brother who was sitting in the living room watching them like one would watch a ping pong match.  That’s when Qiao Yi folded.

“Alright, fine!  I admit.  I overslept again this morning.”

Yan Mo smirked.  “That’s more like it.”

“It’s your fault, really.  That’s what happens when you leave for work so early in the morning and aren’t here to make sure I don’t turn off the alarm clock and fall back asleep.”

“Listen to you.  Such excuses!  Is that any way to talk in front of a child?” Yan Mo asked.

“Yan Xu,” Qiao Yi appealed to her younger brother-in-law for help.  “Isn’t Yan Mo the weird one?  Do you have problems waking up in the morning?”

Yan Xu, who’d grown accustomed to the amusing and bickering ways of his older brother and sister-in-law, looked at her almost apologetically and said, “I’ve never needed to use an alarm clock in my entire life.  I just wake up naturally, right on time.”

“What is this?!” Qiao Yi threw down her arms and wailed in complaint.  “How can both of you be like this???”

Yan Mo looked at Yan Xu and smiled.  “Because we’re brothers.”

The End

* "Why" in Chinese is made up of three characters: 为什么 (為什麼).

@themarchioness your 1st drabble is awesome! The way you wrote it is like you're the scriptwriter herself! Hope to see more of them.:wub:

Like you I've loved this drama from the start till the end. I've already mentioned that it has 1 of the best endings in a drama whether it is a Cdrama or a Kdrama. And I'll be rewatching it many times again.:blush:

By the way, from a special clip posted on youtube which I cant find anymore, it seems QY is working. In that clip they moved temporarily to a hotel room as QY needs to do some writing and was affected by the renovation at their upstairs neighbour. YM returned with food and QY commented that they looked like having an affair. :D YM implied that as his wife was working at 5  p.m he became horny and started to kiss her. :lol:

I'm wondering if QY is working irregular hours at a TV station again.:glasses:

@selen4everhappy to see here on this thread too!:D

@gladys57@themarchioness Thank you for the warm welcome. Happy to be here, even if I am a bit late. 

And @themarchioness your fanfics are a joy to read and are like little bonus epilogues. You are really talented. Thank you for sharing them with us. 

Not to mention all the interesting translation notes and special clips. You are the MVP of this thread. :D

@gladys57, thank you!  I hope you like the second one equally as well.  As for that scene you described, that was actually the prologue scene to one of the early episodes.  I don't remember which one, but if you check a few you should be able to find it.  If Huace had a video of just that moment, it was probably a preview clip so you just have to look for it with that labeling.  It's not one of the special clips.  

@selen4ever, thank you as well!  You're not too late.  You're right on time.  We need people to help keep this thread going.  Even though the drama's complete, I'm not ready to move on yet - clearly  :P - so I'm grateful for the company.  Plus, it's fun hearing about the drama through the eyes of shiny new viewers!  And LOL, I don't know about MVP but I'm just grateful y'all indulge me and allow me space for my blatherings.  Sometimes I fear it's too much.

57 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

@themarchioness not sure which episode, but who was the little chubby boy that called YM uncle ..he looked around 5 ..and he did not want to go to England because the men there are bold ?  The scene seems to be from present timeline ? 

It is from the present timeline, and it's basically a scene out of the book (which may explain why it seems a little random in the drama).  Excerpt from the book is below the cut:

Spoiler

Mr. F has a genius nephew who is way too mature for his age. Every single time I see him, a picture of a young Mr. F immediately pops up in my mind, inciting in me an irresistible urge to play a prank on him. “I heard that you placed the Mission of Oxford University at the top of your bed?”

The little genius replied, “I have now changed it to Harvard’s.”

“Not planning to go to England anymore?”

The little genius replied me extremely sternly, “The water quality in England isn’t very good; long periods of stay will result in a greater propensity of balding.”

I silently glanced at Mr. F.

The little genius took this opportunity to confess to his favourite uncle whom he idolizes, “But I still really like Uncle F’s school.”

Mr. F patted the head of the little genius, commenting that he had great taste.

“My mum said that it is extremely difficult to enter Uncle F’s field of study.”

I teased him, “It’s not really that difficult, what’s more important is your looks.”

The little genius was incredulous, “You’re lying!”

I replied seriously, “There’d be an interview, and the Professors basically select those whom they think is good looking.”

“Is this really true?!”

“Of course this is true.”

The little genius’s view of the world was experiencing a great upheaval, and he turned to Mr. F with tears in his eyes, “Is it really all dependent on looks?”

Mr. F paused momentarily before saying, “Not entirely.”

He continued, without a change in expression, “Sometimes it also depends on who wins rock-paper-scissors.”

……

Mr. F has truly been led astray by me in recent times – Ah, he used to be such an upright (boring) person.

Credit: https://dramasbooksandtea.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/i-dont-like-this-world-i-only-like-you-chapter-6-1-ones-lifetime-is-extremely-long-thus-one-ought-to-spend-it-with-interesting-people/

I am

still having withdrawal syndrome from this Gem of a drama.:dissapointed_relieved:

I need to mention YM. She isn't the typical 3rd wheel who'd scheme and would do anything to break YM & QY up. 

Yes! Initially she did look down on QY. But over time and with YM not giving her any hope, she relented and became their friends.

Actually I can consider her as an integral portrayal of reliable friendship in the sub plot. I'm sure, YM being an introvert by nature and new to England depended a lot on her. And in business she is their largest investor.B)

I also pity her as she is motherless since young. That scene when she overheard QY arguing with her mum on the phone was indeed poignant. Later she asked her dad how to make pickled vegetables. She confided in Da Chuan how she really missed her mum. To me she's actually quite a down to earth person.:P

In the end, I love the scene of the 3 girls drinking and bonding together! :wub:

Archived