[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Le Coup de Foudre 我不喜欢这世界,我只喜欢你

sugarplum892

I'm baaaaack with translation issues, LOL.  It was mainly the subs in Episode 21 that drove me batty today.  There might have been a few places where I flinched in Episode 22, but I didn't find them offensive enough to want to correct.  :P  As for Episode 21, in order of the scenes in which they appeared:

• When Guan Chao and Yan Mo are tag team interrogating Qiao Yi, Yan Mo finally gets to the point and asks, "Are you pregnant?"  According to the subs, she responds, "Nonsense!  I'm not pregnant!" but what she really said was, "Are you crazy?  You're the one who's pregnant!"  LOL.
  • After they "settle" the matter of Qiao Yi (not) being pregnant, Yan Mo and Guan Chao take their leave.  The subs have Yan Mo saying to Guan Chao, "Keep your nose out of it and just mind your own business," when he really says, "Instead of worrying about other people's business, take care of your own business."
  • When Qiao Yi discusses Wu Yi's pregnancy with Yan Mo later, she asks how he'd react if she were to become pregnant.  He shoots her a look and the subs say, "How dare you?"  This one makes me bang my head on the desk because it ruins an amazing moment; namely, Yan Mo's top level skill of being able to say so much with as little words possible.  At the same time, I can't blame the translators either because it is a difficult phrase to translate and still capture the essence of the moment.  If I had to describe the main point of Yan Mo's reaction, he's issuing a threat to her and basically saying, "Just try have one," kind of along the lines of, "Try it and let's see what happens."   (Literal translation: Ni huai yi ge shi shi.  Ni = you, huai = have a child; yi ge = one; shi shi = try.)
  • At the Jay Chou concert, Qiao Yi asks Yan Mo how he could take money from the boy in exchange for concert tickets.  As part of his explanation of how a boy becomes a man when he discovers he has someone to protect, the subs have him saying, "At that moment he feels like a man while he may still look like a teenage boy," but what he really says to Qiao Yi is, "You may feel he's still a boy, but he already thinks of himself as a man."
  • When they're at the hot pot restaurant, Yan Mo asks Qiao Yi if she's still in contact with her boyfriend from college.  She denies having had a boyfriend in college, and the subs have Yan Mo responding, "It's up to you to talk about it," but what he really says is, "If you don't want to talk about it, just forget about it."  Qiao Yi responds, "I wasn't in a relationship," but what she really says is, "I really didn't."  That has Yan Mo responding, "I don't want to know about it," but what he really says is, "I don't particularly want to know about it either."  I know for the last two, especially, there's not much of a difference between the subs and my translation, but there's just so much of Yan Mo in the way he uses those particular words that I wanted to bring out.
  • When they're on their business trip and Qiao Yi is being all jealous over Yan Mo having helped some German woman back at the airport, she remarks on how he's always had a thing for foreign women, like Sophie Marceau.  According to the subs, Yan Mo responds, "Mmm... you remind me of something.  She's a bit like Sophie Marceau..."  I'd have translated that as, "Mmm... if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have made the connection but she really does look a bit like Sophie Marceau..."

Before I sign off for the night, I also wanted to share the MV/lyrics for the Jay Chou that Qiao Yi mentioned when she was hanging out with Wu Yi.  It's a really pretty song and there are a few lines that, I think, will remind us of Qiao Yi and Yan Mo (e.g., The fragrance of first love was found once again by us . . .  The fallen leaves in the courtyard, just like my longing for you, is thickly piled . . .  You are the only person whom I want to understand . . .). Very fitting.

https://veldays.wordpress.com/2016/06/01/the-meaning-of/

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the drama is veering off into makjang territory. They should have stuck to the book more. I find myself fast forwarding all the non essential parts. I still really love the main couple though.

I also think the break up between the two was so weird. Just an episode before YM was saying everything can fail, but QY is the only thing that matters. Now he’s asking her for a separation. It doesn’t make any sense. Also, how can she just easily agree to it? She doesn’t even question it or fight back. She just takes it and leaves. Weird. Anyways. Hopefully we’ll get back on track in the next episode!!!

edit: ok I’ve been watching other Chinese dramas while waiting for this one to air and I take back my makjang comment. Lol. This one is nowhere near where I’ve seen some of the other dramas go! Still loving it and am impatiently waiting for the new episodes this week!

No wonder YM is an odd ball. Even if he's a student in the early 2000, I find it odd that he loved the Beatles instead of Jay Chou! Even my ex-students (in their 50s) and daughters (in their 30s) dont listen to their songs. :P

I thought only a grandmum like me would love the Beatles because they were at the peak of their popularity during my high school days.:lol:

Then again only YM would choose a simple T-shirt and masquerade as John Lennon for the party! :blush:

hello, im not new to soompi forums but im basically new in this thread. ive been following this thread for quite some time after i watched the first episode of the drama and haven't had the time to joining in. 

anyway, i do have to agree with some of your comments. i feel like the last 6 episodes are kind of underwhelming? tho im still excited about the drama. 

i may sound like a hater but i'm just going to be frank (oh hi, mr.f) that i couldn't care less about guanchao and wuyi's arc as well as about dachuan and youngmei. to sum it up i love them individually but not as couples. i think that it isn't very necessary to make the rest four as couples like how they were portrayed in the novel wherein dachuan and youngmei's characters were even nonexistent. i'm deeply in love with guanchao as brother too but i dont think his stories should be more explored, nor wuyi's. this whole story revolves around qiao yi and yan mo they do better have stayed on that line, the side characters can just take up only a little of time or when needed to help emphasize the situation that carries out in a scene. but to my disappointment they milk it way too much.

im really aware that an adaptation work can not fully adhere to what's written in its source but adding some or erasing some scenes could be redundant too. in this case, i have to say that the drama team might think it's important to add up some conflicts as the book "lacked" in that department hence the company conflict storyline or mother's remarriage. 

but then, my 2 cents on them making qiao yi's family become the happy one meanwhile yan mo's the flawed one is to give the audience an idea of one can not be having a handful of misfortune packed in their pockets or one is being the king of their lives, that's why they have to turn it all around. 

about the ugly break up, if i have to look at it a bit deeper it weirdly makes sense, qiao yi has been worrying about yan mo after getting together and her remarks of having changed overtime are overlooked therefore they make them separate with such reasons. i mean, she's still worrying about yan mo but it's not only yan mo she's taking care of but the whole company. she is getting braver with how she's handling the issue without yan mo or other people's helps.  so, it's still reasonable in my opinion. 

yan mo tho, i want his character to be written more vulnerable than what we have been shown with, yet again he might learn to have a strong heart while growing up with lack of attention his parents are giving him. this kid still has a long way to go to understand life. 

i'm sorry for this lengthy ramble. i didn't mean it to. :D

6 hours ago, themarchioness said:

• When Guan Chao and Yan Mo are tag team interrogating Qiao Yi, Yan Mo finally gets to the point and asks, "Are you pregnant?"  According to the subs, she responds, "Nonsense!  I'm not pregnant!" but what she really said was, "Are you crazy?  You're the one who's pregnant!"  LOL.
  • After they "settle" the matter of Qiao Yi (not) being pregnant, Yan Mo and Guan Chao take their leave.  The subs have Yan Mo saying to Guan Chao, "Keep your nose out of it and just mind your own business," when he really says, "Instead of worrying about other people's business, take care of your own business."
  • When Qiao Yi discusses Wu Yi's pregnancy with Yan Mo later, she asks how he'd react if she were to become pregnant.  He shoots her a look and the subs say, "How dare you?"  This one makes me bang my head on the desk because it ruins an amazing moment; namely, Yan Mo's top level skill of being able to say so much with as little words possible.  At the same time, I can't blame the translators either because it is a difficult phrase to translate and still capture the essence of the moment.  If I had to describe the main point of Yan Mo's reaction, he's issuing a threat to her and basically saying, "Just try have one," kind of along the lines of, "Try it and let's see what happens."   (Literal translation: Ni huai yi ge shi shi.  Ni = you, huai = have a child; yi ge = one; shi shi = try.)
  • At the Jay Chou concert, Qiao Yi asks Yan Mo how he could take money from the boy in exchange for concert tickets.  As part of his explanation of how a boy becomes a man when he discovers he has someone to protect, the subs have him saying, "At that moment he feels like a man while he may still look like a teenage boy," but what he really says to Qiao Yi is, "You may feel he's still a boy, but he already thinks of himself as a man."
  • When they're at the hot pot restaurant, Yan Mo asks Qiao Yi if she's still in contact with her boyfriend from college.  She denies having had a boyfriend in college, and the subs have Yan Mo responding, "It's up to you to talk about it," but what he really says is, "If you don't want to talk about it, just forget about it."  Qiao Yi responds, "I wasn't in a relationship," but what she really says is, "I really didn't."  That has Yan Mo responding, "I don't want to know about it," but what he really says is, "I don't particularly want to know about it either."  I know for the last two, especially, there's not much of a difference between the subs and my translation, but there's just so much of Yan Mo in the way he uses those particular words that I wanted to bring out.
  • When they're on their business trip and Qiao Yi is being all jealous over Yan Mo having helped some German woman back at the airport, she remarks on how he's always had a thing for foreign women, like Sophie Marceau.  According to the subs, Yan Mo responds, "Mmm... you remind me of something.  She's a bit like Sophie Marceau..."  I'd have translated that as, "Mmm... if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have made the connection but she really does look a bit like Sophie Marceau..."

Thank you very much for the translations. While difference seems to be slight, it actually adds more meaning to the conversation. So, please keep it coming. :)

NEW STILLS 

tumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao10_1280.jpgtumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao7_1280.jpgtumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao8_1280.jpgtumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao2_1280.jpgtumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao6_1280.jpgtumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao5_1280.jpgtumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao4_1280.jpgtumblr_prxw1rORxh1u1iqoao9_1280.jpg

tumblr_prxwb2Gv3H1u1iqoao2_400.jpgtumblr_prxwb2Gv3H1u1iqoao5_400.jpg

Spoiler

original poster 

tumblr_prxwb2Gv3H1u1iqoao1_1280.jpgtumblr_prxwb2Gv3H1u1iqoao4_1280.jpg

BONUS: 

tumblr_inline_prxwcrRzmA1t3sjn4_540.jpg

From the NEW side story, this girl is absolutely ADORABLE. 

tumblr_prxwutrm341u1iqoao1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_prxwutrm341u1iqoao2_1280.jpg

InStyle Magazine photoshoot with ZGC and HWY a while back on 05/19/2019

Spoiler

63548d94ly1g3a48fnqerj20u0133dti.jpg63548d94gy1g36xy965p3j21a40u0e85.jpg63548d94gy1g36xlhelgnj21a40u04qu.jpg63548d94gy1g36xl5i0xmj21a40u0nph.jpg63548d94gy1g36xlw0fvyj21a40u0x6t.jpg63548d94gy1g36xm902uaj21a40u0x6t.jpg63548d94gy1g36xvnr3q7j21a40u0qv7.jpg63548d94gy1g36xmme5eej21a40u0kjp.jpg63548d94gy1g36xmxigptj21a40u0x6r.jpg

A Little off topic but the actor of ZGC, Eden 赵志伟 surpassed 8mill subscribers and posted a dance vid. 

Spoiler

Qiao Yi has 9.7mill

Yan Mo has 3.2mill (#still waiting for his 3mill celebration post)

52 minutes ago, DontEatMyKimchi said:

NEW STILLS 

A Little off topic but the actor of ZGC, Eden 赵志伟 surpassed 8mill subscribers and posted a dance vid. 

Hide contents

Qiao Yi has 9.7mill

Yan Mo has 3.2mill (#still waiting for his 3mill celebration post)

Zhang Yu Jian rarely post on weibo, seems like he prefers IG, no wonder his weibo followers are fewer

How do you not love all the characters in this gem of a drama?:wub:

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that they are integral characters who added substance to this drama. I got bored with PYHOMS which got too cringy and way too much ML & FL moments. All the characters here are inter related  & well flashed out to portray realistically the aspects on family life ( Guan Chao,  step dad and DC the uncle) and friendship (Wuyi & YM).

The family dynamic is one of the strongest in a drama I've watched.:love:

I haven't read the novel and I wont as I dont have the time to do so. Anyway, I'm absolutely obsessed with this GEM as it is simple yet heartwarming!:blush:

It's a really good thing I had already watched most of Episodes 23 & 24 raw, as I feel like I spent most of last night head-desking over the subs instead of watching what was actually happening on screen.  Between the verb tense issues, the not quite on point translations, and the couple of times where I don't even know how things were being translated, I kind of just want to re-translate the entire episodes.  But since I can't exactly do that, here are some of the notable areas that I found:

Episode 23:

• The gentleman that FDC and CYM meet with, hoping to place their product in his mall/stores, is CYM's cousin.  The subs just have have him referring to CYM as "sis" or by her name, but he actually refers to her each time as "biao mei," which means she's a younger female cousin (either the daughter of his father's sister or of his mother's brother or sister.  Since he asks after her father and also appears to be related Cheng Ye, my guess is they're related through his mother and her father).  
  • When QY delivers dinner to YM in his office, there's a part where the subs have him saying, "Who said you can't help?"  This is one of those times in Chinese where a phrase may translated differently based on context - the exact phrase said was, "Shei (who) shuo (said) ni (you) bang (help) bu (an adverb indicating something's in the negative) mang (work; do)." - so I don't necessarily blame the translations for this, but given the context in which it was said, I would have translated it as, "Who says you can't be of help?" or "Who says you weren't of help?" - since she already did help him.  The reason I say that is because when QY arrives, she apologizes for not being able to be of help to him with the company's troubles and says that what she can do instead is cook him food.  As he stares at the lunchbox, he remembers that time he once helped her win that lunchbox for her mom and realizes that they don't need to place their product in fancy malls.  They just need to find a venue where they can attract crowds, and it's thanks to QY that he has that realization.  Hence, his comment of her actually having been of help to him.
  • When ZGC meets with HWY about the baby, and they're talking about how they both don't like kids, the subs have him saying to the "baby bump," "But I will like you.  You're special to me.  You're my baby."  But it was more like, "But I will definitely like you because you're not like the others.  You're my baby."  The subs also have him telling HWY, "I won't let my pregnant wife go to the hospital alone."  That was basically a paraphrase of him saying, "I'm certainly not the type of of man who'll let their pregnant wife go to the hospital by themselves."  I like the longer translation because I think it emphasizes the moral compass of ZGC's character.
  • When the Panda Company has their first day outside the coffee shop (that appears to serve McDonalds burgers :P), they're all standing around waiting for people to stop by.  As a result, YM stands there rearranging the wristband boxes.  QY says to him at one point, "You have placed them in order," but what she really says is, "You've already arranged them once already."  Doesn't that sound better (make more sense)??
  • At the end, when FDC goes to hunt down Cheng Ye in order to fight it out, Cheng Ye orders his bodyguards to "Stand by," which was really more like, "Everybody stand back."  He's telling them to not involve themselves in the fight as he wants to duke it out with FDC alone.  The subs also have him saying, "I'll defeat you completely as a member of Cheng family," but what he really says is, "If I don't kill you today, my last name's not Cheng."

Episode 24

• When CYM arrives (after YM and QY) to break up the fight between her brother and FDC, the subs have her saying to Cheng Ye, "Next time doing evil don't put it on me again."  That may be more properly understood as, "Next time you do something bad, don't turn me into your scapegoat."  (She's still upset about having been suspected as the leaked source.)
  • When FDC's sitting by himself on the bench sulking, CYM arrives and tells him to take her home (because she wants to help him but they have such an acrimonious relationship she doesn't know how to interact with him in a nice way).  The subs have FDC responding to her order with, "I'm badly hurt already!  Be sympathetic and cut the order!"  But really, his expression was more of, "I'm already injured like this and you're still going to treat me like your servant?"  After CYM tells him that she wants to take him home to put medicine on his wounds, he realizes her true intent but it's the same thing for him.  He doesn't know how to engage with her in a nice way.  So, as he walks off, he mutters (without really meaning it) "jiao qing," which the subs translated as "Sentimental..." Well, my dictionary translates it to: quarrelsome, contentious, and unreasonable.  :P  
  • When YM finds QY at the bus stop and tells her to get in his car, she asks him if they can take the dog with them.  The subs have YM responding, "Save yourself first," but what he really says is, "You're already unable to fend for yourself."
  • For the conversation in the car, I didn't even bother recording what the subs said originally.  I just had issues with it generally, so here's how I would translate the first part of their conversation:
    • YM: Before you rent a place, you're supposed to check to make sure there's a property ownership certificate.  That's common knowledge!
    • QY: I've never rented a place before!
    • YM: Then why did you come here?  You gave up a perfectly good job without any good reason.  I really don't understand what you were thinking.
    • QY: I was thinking of you!  Why else would I come here?
    • After that, there's another part where the subs have her saying, "Or I wouldn't get here at all," which really should have been, "Whey else would I come?"
  • After they arrive home and QY's trying to suggest she either stay at HWY's, a hotel, or the office, YM just looks at her and the subs have him saying, "I don't know what you're concerned about."  I prefer the more literal translation, which is, "I don't know what you're afraid of."  
  • After YM shows QY to her room, he revisits their conversation in the car and then the subs have him asking, "Do you like me?"  But really, the cadence that he uses with that phrase, it's intended more like a statement, "You like me," to which she makes an affirmative noise in response.  Although the difference between it translated as a question or a statement may not seem like a big deal, I prefer it understood as a statement because I think it demonstrates YM's gained confidence and understanding that his feelings are reciprocated.
  • This next one is interesting.  When YM asks QY when her feelings for him started, the subs have her responding, "A long time ago."  It's worth noting though that there is the phrase, 早已 (zao yi) which does mean, "long ago" or "for a long time," but that's not how QY responds.  Instead, she says, 一早 (yi zao), which colloquially means, "early in the morning," or "from the start of the day."  That's why I prefer to translate QY's answer as, "From the beginning," because it lets YM know, she hasn't just had feelings for him for a very long time, but rather, she's had feelings for him from the get go.  
  • When CYM observes to YM that there's a "rat" in the company who leaked information concerning their wrist band, the subs have him responding that he knows who that person is.  But he doesn't actually say that he knows who it is.  Rather, he answers more generally that he's aware of the situation and gives reassurance that he has a handle on the situation.  (I think he does know who it is though given how the camera pans to him and his thoughtful expression every time a certain name comes up.)
  • At the vet's office, the subs have the technician asking, "Is that you're boyfriend," but it's more correctly translated as, "That is your boyfriend, right?" to which YM responds in the affirmative.  That's followed by them exiting the office where QY asks if YM was being serious.  The subs have him saying, "I am always serious," but I prefer the actual translation which was, "When am I ever not serious?"
  • When HWY visits QY at YM's place, the subs have QY asking, "You said you're here for ZGC, didn't you?" which can be more properly understood as, "Didn't you say wanted to come over to talk about ZGC?" and then HWY responds with, "Ugh, I don't want to talk about him," not "So much of him."  (How does that even make sense??)
  • When QY shares how she confessed to YM, the subs have her saying, "I said I've been thinking about him," when she actually said, "I told him my head/brain was full of him."  
  • The next morning, when QY and YM are in the car about to head to work, she gives a lot of reasons why she doesn't want their coworkers knowing about their relationship.  At one point she even says, they'll "look down on [her]," but what she really said in that moment was, they'll assume she got in through backdoor connections.  
  • At the end of the episode, when the Panda Company is promoting their product at a school, one of the administrators comes over to send them packing.  ZGC arrives and as this is his alma mater, he recognizes the administrator and starts using his charms on her so that she will allow them to stay.  At one point, the subs have the administrator saying to him, "You've been doing it all day," which I don't even know where they got that from.  Her comment may be more properly understood as, "You only know how to cause trouble for me."  (She means it in an affectionate way though as, like all women around ZGC, she's totally susceptible to his charms!)

1 hour ago, themarchioness said:

It's a really good thing I had already watched most of Episodes 23 & 24 raw, as I feel like I spent most of last night head-desking over the subs instead of watching what was actually happening on screen.  Between the verb tense issues, the not quite on point translations, and the couple of times where I don't even know how things were being translated, I kind of just want to re-translate the entire episodes.  But since I can't exactly do that, here are some of the notable areas that I found:

Episode 23:

• The gentleman that FDC and CYM meet with, hoping to place their product in his mall/stores, is CYM's cousin.  The subs just have have him referring to CYM as "sis" or by her name, but he actually refers to her each time as "biao mei," which means she's a younger female cousin (either the daughter of his father's sister or of his mother's brother or sister.  Since he asks after her father and also appears to be related Cheng Ye, my guess is they're related through his mother and her father).  
  • When QY delivers dinner to YM in his office, there's a part where the subs have him saying, "Who said you can't help?"  This is one of those times in Chinese where a phrase may translated differently based on context - the exact phrase said was, "Shei (who) shuo (said) ni (you) bang (help) bu (an adverb indicating something's in the negative) mang (work; do)." - so I don't necessarily blame the translations for this, but given the context in which it was said, I would have translated it as, "Who says you can't be of help?" or "Who says you weren't of help?" - since she already did help him.  The reason I say that is because when QY arrives, she apologizes for not being able to be of help to him with the company's troubles and says that what she can do instead is cook him food.  As he stares at the lunchbox, he remembers that time he once helped her win that lunchbox for her mom and realizes that they don't need to place their product in fancy malls.  They just need to find a venue where they can attract crowds, and it's thanks to QY that he has that realization.  Hence, his comment of her actually having been of help to him.
  • When ZGC meets with HWY about the baby, and they're talking about how they both don't like kids, the subs have him saying to the "baby bump," "But I will like you.  You're special to me.  You're my baby."  But it was more like, "But I will definitely like you because you're not like the others.  You're my baby."  The subs also have him telling HWY, "I won't let my pregnant wife go to the hospital alone."  That was basically a paraphrase of him saying, "I'm certainly not the type of of man who'll let their pregnant wife go to the hospital by themselves."  I like the longer translation because I think it emphasizes the moral compass of ZGC's character.
  • When the Panda Company has their first day outside the coffee shop (that appears to serve McDonalds burgers :P), they're all standing around waiting for people to stop by.  As a result, YM stands there rearranging the wristband boxes.  QY says to him at one point, "You have placed them in order," but what she really says is, "You've already arranged them once already."  Doesn't that sound better (make more sense)??
  • At the end, when FDC goes to hunt down Cheng Ye in order to fight it out, Cheng Ye orders his bodyguards to "Stand by," which was really more like, "Everybody stand back."  He's telling them to not involve themselves in the fight as he wants to duke it out with FDC alone.  The subs also have him saying, "I'll defeat you completely as a member of Cheng family," but what he really says is, "If I don't kill you today, my last name's not Cheng."

Episode 24

• When CYM arrives (after YM and QY) to break up the fight between her brother and FDC, the subs have her saying to Cheng Ye, "Next time doing evil don't put it on me again."  That may be more properly understood as, "Next time you do something bad, don't turn me into your scapegoat."  (She's still upset about having been suspected as the leaked source.)
  • When FDC's sitting by himself on the bench sulking, CYM arrives and tells him to take her home (because she wants to help him but they have such an acrimonious relationship she doesn't know how to interact with him in a nice way).  The subs have FDC responding to her order with, "I'm badly hurt already!  Be sympathetic and cut the order!"  But really, his expression was more of, "I'm already injured like this and you're still going to treat me like your servant?"  After CYM tells him that she wants to take him home to put medicine on his wounds, he realizes her true intent but it's the same thing for him.  He doesn't know how to engage with her in a nice way.  So, as he walks off, he mutters (without really meaning it) "jiao qing," which the subs translated as "Sentimental..." Well, my dictionary translates it to: quarrelsome, contentious, and unreasonable.  :P  
  • When YM finds QY at the bus stop and tells her to get in his car, she asks him if they can take the dog with them.  The subs have YM responding, "Save yourself first," but what he really says is, "You're already unable to fend for yourself."
  • For the conversation in the car, I didn't even bother recording what the subs said originally.  I just had issues with it generally, so here's how I would translate the first part of their conversation:
    • YM: Before you rent a place, you're supposed to check to make sure there's a property ownership certificate.  That's common knowledge!
    • QY: I've never rented a place before!
    • YM: Then why did you come here?  You gave up a perfectly good job without any good reason.  I really don't understand what you were thinking.
    • QY: I was thinking of you!  Why else would I come here?
    • After that, there's another part where the subs have her saying, "Or I wouldn't get here at all," which really should have been, "Whey else would I come?"
  • After they arrive home and QY's trying to suggest she either stay at HWY's, a hotel, or the office, YM just looks at her and the subs have him saying, "I don't know what you're concerned about."  I prefer the more literal translation, which is, "I don't know what you're afraid of."  
  • After YM shows QY to her room, he revisits their conversation in the car and then the subs have him asking, "Do you like me?"  But really, the cadence that he uses with that phrase, it's intended more like a statement, "You like me," to which she makes an affirmative noise in response.  Although the difference between it translated as a question or a statement may not seem like a big deal, I prefer it understood as a statement because I think it demonstrates YM's gained confidence and understanding that his feelings are reciprocated.
  • This next one is interesting.  When YM asks QY when her feelings for him started, the subs have her responding, "A long time ago."  It's worth noting though that there is the phrase, 早已 (zao yi) which does mean, "long ago" or "for a long time," but that's not how QY responds.  Instead, she says, 一早 (yi zao), which colloquially means, "early in the morning," or "from the start of the day."  That's why I prefer to translate QY's answer as, "From the beginning," because it lets YM know, she hasn't just had feelings for him for a very long time, but rather, she's had feelings for him from the get go.  

Dear @themarchioness  please let me know what continent you are on so i can come and learn Chinese with you  ...i love the way you think and your translations are joy to read ...especially when you offer us specific phrases and their meaning in both languages...i love it you are our biao mei  :) 

22 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

Zhang Yu Jian rarely post on weibo, seems like he prefers IG, no wonder his weibo followers are fewer

During a recent interview, ZYJ said he owns a nokia phone so he has to borrow his assistant's phone to post on weibo. LOL

006DaxmGly1g3c6ijx9y1j356o3gghe2.jpg

Only one weekend left before Monday arrives with the finale. 

LOL, thanks, @jadore1, I'm happy to be thread's biao mei!  I won't pretend to be an expert at the Chinese language, but I'm willing to use what I know to try and help improve upon the subs we're given.  I'm glad you, @pocohantas01, and others are finding them helpful and entertaining! 

@gladys57, I feel the same way as you do about this drama!!  (I also feel as you do about PYHOMS.  As I like to say, probably the worst thing to happen to PYHOMS for me was for Le Coup to start airing because once it did, my interest took a sharp turn.  Between the two dramas, I find Le Coup to have the meatier story.  But that's just my take on the two dramas.  ;))

Regarding Le Coup, itself, I love how much heart and soul is contained within each episode -- and that's all due to the characters we've been given and the stories they've been given.  I have read the book and I've also read the issues raised by those who prefer the book, and I guess what I would say about that is they're two very different beasts.  I find the book to be more of a character study, as it is driven entirely by the OTP.  There's not much of a narrative since it is told entirely in anecdotes/flashbacks, and although you are able to get a sense of how their relationship began, why they broke up, and how they reunited through those flashbacks, you aren't given a lot of specific details either.  But that's because the anecdotes and flashbacks aren't really there to tell the story of how they arrived from Point A to Point B.  Rather, they're there for us to read and learn about the OTP - their individual personalities, how they think and operate, how they differ, and how they work as a successful couple in spite of those differences. 

(That's not a criticism of the book.  On the contrary, even though I read the book in its translated form, I can tell that in its original language it must be beautifully written. The author seems to have a special talent for being able to convey many thoughts and emotions through the simplest of words, and that's something I really admired.  It's certainly a talent which I do not share!  :P)

But where the book gives us the barest of bones for the OTP's actual love story, the drama takes on the task of fleshing out those details for us.  Truthfully, when I read the news that they were going to be adapting this book into a drama, even though I was really excited by that news since I love this book so much, there was also a part of me that wondered: how are they going to adapt this book into a drama?  I figured then that they were necessarily going to have to expand on characters and story lines, and that's precisely what the drama has done.  Whenever a drama takes liberties as this one has done, there's always the risk that it'll be for the worst, but I don't feel that way about Le Coup.

The addition of characters has given us gems like Teddy Bear Da Chuan and Stepdad, and the expansion of characters has given us a pretty awesome brother in Guan Chao and a spunky best friend in Hao Wu Yi.  I know not everyone likes the changes made to Yan Mo's home life, and while I definitely do understand that feeling of, "Why put someone in a position that's worse than their original?" I stand by what I have said previously, which is that it works in the context of the drama.  Having Yan Mo grow up as he did helps to explain some of the quirkiness of his character, and we're still comforted by the fact that it's not that his parents didn't love him or that he was completely abandoned, they just had careers that took them outside the home.  I also don't feel the drama has unfairly focused on company matters or second couples, as both those things are pretty much standard ingredients in a drama recipe.  Even changes like having Yan Mo and Qiao Yi work together, or Yan Mo's mother remarry and move to England are things I view as narrative efficiencies.  They let us know what's going on with those characters without really having to drag everything out by giving each one a separate narrative.  All in all, I'm glad and grateful the drama does as good a job as it does at weaving everything together to give us likeable characters, relatable scenarios, and an entertaining and engaging story.

For those who really love the book and are thus having a hard time watching the drama, it may be helpful to try divorcing the two entities.  But I don't think it's impossible to love the book and also love the drama equally, because I'm living proof of that!  :D 

Caught up to most recent 30. Dying for the last 5 episodes!

Spoiler

At this point YM and QY already broke up. xD The 3 girls bonding over beer and BBQ were hilarious. Especially, when they drunk dialed their exes! Surprise to see "Goddess" :D

My favorite character thus far has to be Dai Chuan! He's so sweet and I'd like to see him in another drama. I think the actor who plays him does such a great job. One thing that bothered me is when Dai Chuan has interactions with his sister (YM's mom) and the dad, but rarely do we see dad interact with YM's mom. O___O Is it just me that finds it weird?

There was a scene where QY invited everyone over to celebrate her step-dad's birthday and everyone called her mom "Auntie"--even QY. Mistake? o.o I also find QY's family dynamic and interaction so touching. I teared when step-dad got into an accident and how he would always protect and take care of QY. Guan Chao brother interaction with QY is also so touching when he would protect her and watch out for her back despite fighting and making fun of her. 

There's Dai Xiong (Wu Yi's ex)...Wonder what happened to him? 

i think QY called her Mum Auntie is because she is so embarrassed that she just followed the others. Is it not like mother like daughter. She turns out to be like her mother in terms of fanciful acting.

Video Spoilers!! Previews uploaded on Weibo for this Monday's finale.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

QY: We went WAY over budget so we have to save money for the remainder of this month. Don't throw out the water bottle I am going to sell it

QY: Im going to take a shower.

QY: What are you doing?

YM: Shower together. Save water.

(LOLOLOL YM grew up well)

Spoiler

QY: Sorry JAY CHOU, I will marry you in the next life 

(to GC): IM SO SORRY. Even though you WERE my most loved man, I HAVE TO GET MARRY [to someone else]. I really loved you 

GC: please don't misunderstand, Im her brother

QY: So I have to say this, SORRY, I LOVE[D] YOU

GC: REALLY I AM her brother. Biological brother. Please DO NOT misunderstand. YAN MO take a look at your wife.

YM: Drunk like this again? Great. 

Archived