[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Le Coup de Foudre 我不喜欢这世界,我只喜欢你

sugarplum892

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yessss!!! They're finally airing the drama! Seems like viki will sub the drama too, so there'll be eng subs later on... looking forward to how they'll adapt the novel because the novel only offers snippets of their life (unlike how a regular book is usually written). i'm sure it'll be good though. Janice Wu is always amazing! And from what can be seen in the trailer, their chemistry is no joke! :D thanks for informing us @lynne22 !!! :) 

On Wed Apr 24 2019 at 7:14 AM, visiopeia said:

I am watching this!! got to prepare tissue as i think i will end up crying ..... hahahahhahahahaha

Why....?

Novel not having Happy Ending....?

46 minutes ago, RPM said:

The novel has a happy ending. In fact, the OTP is already married when it begins. It’s hard to explain properly but the book is not written in a linear style.  Rather, it’s told in piecemeal stories/anecdotes that alternate between past and present.  Not only do you get to see how they live as a couple in the present, but you also learn how they came to be.  It’s a really interesting writing style method, very well done, and a cute story.  It’s one of my favorites. 

For anyone interested in the web novel, it’s been translated: https://dramasbooksandtea.wordpress.com/category/book-recap/i-dont-like-this-world-i-only-like-you/

I just watched the trailer after knowing it will air next week. I am so looking forward to it because both of them is my favorite leads. I like a plot without any love triangle and frustrating misunderstanding...from the trailer I don't see any of this and that is a motivation to watch it. lol btw, I know the male character is suppose to have a cold exterior but I hope I get to see Zhang Yu Jian smile more because he have a heart throbbing smile hehe

On 4/27/2019 at 8:56 PM, RPM said:

Why....?

@RPM nono.. it looks story seems to touch my heart.. i will end up crying it... and there is the part (mention on the trailer) .. the girl unable to follow him to go overseas .. they break up (i think).. that part is hurt.. therefore i will cry again.. gosh.. i am such a cry baby... 

19 minutes ago, visiopeia said:

@RPM nono.. it looks story seems to touch my heart.. i will end up crying it... and there is the part (mention on the trailer) .. the girl unable to follow him to go overseas .. they break up (i think).. that part is hurt.. therefore i will cry again.. gosh.. i am such a cry baby... 

spoilers (regarding the book) under the cut

Spoiler

Yes, there should be a part where they break up.  Based on the trailer, I'm guessing he asks her to study abroad with him and although she initially agrees, she later backs out (maybe because of the accident involving her father?).  That will cause them to break up.  

In the book, however, her parents are divorced and she is raised by her mother.  (She also has an older brother, Guan Chao.)  When they graduate from high school, they attend a farewell party where the male lead more or less confesses to her and she rejects him.  The reason she rejects him though is she had just found out from others that he was leaving to study abroad in England.  As a result of that night, they do not speak for four years (basically, the entirety of their college years).  

The newest YT trailer finally shows more scenes with them as adults and they funnily talk German at the end (saying I love you). It even sounds like they have bit understanding of the Language since it sounds a bit Swabian who is a southern dialect :lol:.

I’m excited for tonight. Hopefully Viki is subbing it fast. I adore JW and after the rather underwhelming Brightest Star I need something where her talent isn’t wasted it. 

Edit: Just noticed Huace will stream it live at YT with subs. Can someone post the link since I’m on phone.

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Le Coup de Foudre 我不喜欢这世界,我只喜欢你

the drama is better than i expected. 

Spoiler

i like the fact that they include both the present and past parts! the fact that they also made it clear in the beginning that they were married were also nice. very different from other dramas yet still successfully grabs our attention throughout the entire episode!! can't wait for the next episodes already!! T.T 

i think i have a new favorite drama that'll be placed on my all-time favorite dramas list (if the drama keeps this up throughout the entire run)!! and lucky for us, we STILL have 33 more episodes!!! not 24 or 30!! yesssss!! :D

52 minutes ago, gracebkk said:

the drama is better than i expected. 

Hide contents

i like the fact that they include both the present and past parts! the fact that they also made it clear in the beginning that they were married were also nice. very different from other dramas yet still successfully grabs our attention throughout the entire episode!! can't wait for the next episodes already!! T.T 

Oh good.  It sounds like they're following the approach of the novel then, and I'm glad because that unique style is something I really enjoyed about it.  I was imagining they'd take a more linear approach to the story for the drama and I'm glad to hear that's not the case.  Eager for my work day to end so I can go home to watch!  ;)  

3 hours ago, angelangie said:

u havent started on it yet too? :D

Well, I couldn't have started it any earlier.  When the episodes get posted, it's morning where I am, which means I'm at work.  ;)  Just finished watching the first two episodes though! 

First, re: subs.  I'm grateful that Huace is releasing subbed episodes through their YouTube channel, but . . . well, let's just say that every now then, the subs are definitely a miss.  It's not any big thing, really, but it's like nails on a chalkboard for the translator in me and I wish I could go in and fix it so that others would have a more accurate understanding of what's being said.  That said, again, just grateful they're out and available!  Also, it does look like Viki is using the same subs because I went there to spot check, to see if there would be any improvement, and it's got the same errors. 

Second, re: first impressions.  I liked it!  I'm glad they're sticking with the non-linear form of storytelling that's so central to the charm of the web novel, but I admit there was a brief bit in the first episode where I got confused as to what year they were in.  I think it's because sometimes the drama stays faithful to the book (right down to the very lines the characters say), but at other times they're either moving things around or just making things up for the drama.  When use stuff from the book but in a different way from the book, I find that particularly jarring because I'm expecting it to go a different way!  So I have to play catch up.  :P  I'll give some examples/comparisons under a spoiler cut.

All in all though, the drama seems to be keeping with the spirit of the book and that's the most important part.  Looking forward to more eps tomorrow!

For those curious about the book/drama differences:

Spoiler

- In the drama, when QY and YM reunite, he's technically still living in England and has only returned to China because of his father's illness.  And then they cross paths at the television station where she's working.  In the book, YM has already returned to China.  There's a high school reunion and the class representative calls up YM, to invite him over.  QY runs to the toilet to hide (much like she tried to do at the reunion party in the drama) and when she returns to the table, he's already there. They sit near each other, but don't interact until she tries to open a coke can and puts it back down when she can't.  YM then opens it for her, although the entire time he does so, he continues his conversation with someone else.  After that night, he returned to Beijing and she stayed in their hometown.  When he returned to their hometown for business one time, she invited him out to dinner and they talked a lot that night.  She then takes a gamble by quitting her job and moving to Beijing to be with him.

- In the drama, QY and GC have a stepfather.  In the book, their mother stays single after the divorce.  I also wasn't given the impression that GC and QY were twins... rather, they were just so close in age that once QY and YM reached that point in their academic career where they had to choose between the science and humanity paths, YM and GC ended up in the same class after he chose the science path.  Prior to that, they were never in the same classes.  (QY chose the humanities path.)

- In the drama, QY tries to call YM and, as a result, misunderstands when a female answers his phone.  As indicated above, however, throughout YM's time in England in the book, they never have any contact.  He does, however, keep the same phone number as in the drama.

- In the drama, QY has a work assignment that asks the question, "How is the person you liked in school doing now?"  As I mentioned above, sometimes the drama uses stuff from the book in a different way and this one is a perfect example of that.  It's also one that, I'm not going to lie, hurts the most so far because the way this question is used in the book is sooo beautiful - as you will see, once I explain.  I hope they revisit this question in the "present" so that the drama will also use it in the same way.  Anyway, in the book, QY's company is planning an event relating to the reminiscence of youth.  As a result, she poses this question in a mass text to all her friends.  The answers she receives range from, "He became the father of other children," to "When I was studying, I only loved my textbooks."  As she reads through the answers, she realizes she also sent it to YM (whom she's already married to at the time).  She has no expectation that he'll actually reply to this text, so puts the phone aside.  When she gets home that night, it's already 11pm but YM is even later than her.  While half asleep, she "[feels] him carefully making his way onto the bed and tucking [her] blanket in for [her]."  He's already gone when she wakes up the next morning, and it's only after she arrives at work that she notices she has an unread message on her phone.  She opens it and sees his answer, "She became my wife, and she's sleeping beside me right now."  Sent at 2:45am.  :wub:

- Some of the things the drama has kept the same from the book: 1) the opening scene where she randomly pretends to be having an affair with her brother-in-law just to shock the waiter.  She didn't expect YM to play along!  2) the scene where she's so bad at math she bargains by suggesting a higher price than what the store was offering.  3) the scene where she goes home to complain to YM that GC was mistreating her, and so he exacts revenge by trouncing him in a computer game.

- Some of the things the drama is changing entirely: It looks like YM has a very lonely household with his parents gone all the time.  In the book, however, he has a very warm home life and it's actually something QY envies since she grew up in a single family home.  Even though his mother is also a dancer in the book, there's no suggestion that she left him home by himself all the time.  Giving YM a same-aged uncle is also something entirely concocted for the drama, but I have to say that little twist actually made me laugh.  And GC running around earning money by fixing computers is also something made up for the drama, but a twist I also appreciated.  I like that there's more depth to his character than the super playboy he pretends to be. 

Anyhow, that's just some of the comparisons that came to mind as I was watching.  I just re-read the book this past weekend to prepare for the drama so it's kind of fresh in my head.  Comparisons are going to be inevitable.  ;) 

Archived