[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

Haven't seen the recent episodes cause they're no subs yet. But I looked at the preview, let me just say if I didn't ship ZM/ZWJ before, I totally do now. The way she flirts with him makes me giddy. Her putting her fingers on his chin to get his attention and him being super shy and putting her hands down. I haven't read the original books, was she always this flirty with him? The previous versions I've seen there was teasing involved for sure, but not to the extent of flirting like this one. Swoon. 

• Like 2

Johnny depp once said if you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second. In this case ZWJ must choose ZM because after meeting ZM there's no other woman who is interesting enough. I'd like to think that way.

I finally caught up (up to 26 recently). I had to rewatch episode 1 three times because I couldn't find subs. Been watching everything raw, reading subtitles and using context to understand. Last and first version of HSDS I watched was the 2000 version with Lawrence Ng. I remember this was my least favorite of the Condor Trilogy but so far I am really liking this new version! 

Super nice to see actor/actresses from Ashes of Love, Journey of Flower, The Eternal Love (web series), Three Lives Three Worlds Ten Thousand Miles of Peach Blossoms, the 2017 Condor Heros, etc! I know everyone is swooning over this version of Yang Xiao and Lin Shen did such a great job. His acting with his eyes and expressions are on point. YX's character always been sort of creepy in previous versions based on my impression/memory, but I really like now smooth and cool he is here! xD And certainly chemistry with the girl who plays JXF (she's gorgeous too). Though I'm not feeling any chemistry with 6th uncle and her daughter BH..... 

On a side note I thought the guy who played ZMJ's father was kind of cute. His love story with YSS was very believable and kudos to young ZMJ because I cried a lot with him bonding with all his family members. The Wudang uncles, JX god father, etc. I think it's great they took time to build the back story even MJ er mei sect's leader Kathy Chow got some decent screen time! Upon checking, Kathy played ZZR in a previous version ('94) so it's kind of cool she now plays the shifu of a character she played in the past! 

Spoiler

'94 Theme Song

After watching this, I think ZZR's character is really complex and she can't just be simply called "evil" when she turns. Her character has quite a development unlike other characters. I think Bambi Zhu is fitting as I find her version of ZZR similar or embodies Xuan Nu (TLTW TMPB) quite a bit and maybe parallel's with Night from Ashes of Love. Both start out nice before turning evil. 

The GMD scenes are great. It was up to that part I started to think that the story was getting interesting! I am really enjoying this version compared to 2000, which is very faint in my memory (and bad CGI lol) XD I couldn't help but to look up some parts on YT for comparison reasons. It's so cheesy, but at the same time I really like how side characters here got to shine and were developed. Like someone mentioned, it made me care more about them when I watched this series. Can't wait to see some ZM interaction since she started to show up near mid-way into the series.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dramagirlslove said:

Haven't seen the recent episodes cause they're no subs yet. But I looked at the preview, let me just say if I didn't ship ZM/ZWJ before, I totally do now. The way she flirts with him makes me giddy. Her putting her fingers on his chin to get his attention and him being super shy and putting her hands down. I haven't read the original books, was she always this flirty with him? The previous versions I've seen there was teasing involved for sure, but not to the extent of flirting like this one. Swoon. 

Yes!

I'm totally with you! I don't think this ZM has the right gravitas, but when it comes to the combination of haughty, flirty teasing... she rocks! (Or the script rocks!)

Her hand gesture was awesome, but I love her witty responses

Spoiler

XZ (to ZWJ): It seems like ZZR jiejie is looking for you.

ZWJ (to himself): I wonder why she is looking for me.

ZM (laughing and nearly rolling her eyes): Shameless! (Meaning that ZWJ is asking questions with an obvious answer in order to shamelessly show off that he has girls throwing themselves at him!)

Joseph as ZWJ throws her a lot of total bewildered, exasperated and embarrassed looks...and maybe, maybe just a hint of hopeless attraction.

She's just so obviously having fun that it makes me want to laugh at ZWJ's predicament too (poor, poor ZWJ who all the girls want, isn't it hard to be popular?) ;)

All the other girls have some combination of sweet, romantic moments, but so far it's only with ZM that we get both the serious and funny side of things.   And can I say Joseph ROCKS the shy-upset-embarassed-yet-entirely-entranced looks!  They're cute! :sweat_smile:

5 minutes ago, hamaji said:

B)

bf0ekx4.gif

YES! EXACTLY that look.

Shy and caught, he lowers his glance, but cannot help looking back up again as he gulps (you can actually see Joseph swallow)... perhaps feeling a tiny spark of attraction at those large, lovely eyes and wicked smile? Thanks for posting Hamiji!

Also... do we see him let go of her hand after he takes it (gently) off his face? ;)  (Is it sad? "OMG he touched her hand!" is reason for us to swoon!)

Finally I also like the actress for XZ's response. She looks away, a little discomforted... it's a private moment for ZM and ZWJ and EVERYONE knows it! :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, dramagirlslove said:

Which preview is this?? Please share! ^^

Watched the first 6 episodes (late I know but they only subbed until ep 6) and I must say I like it so far. I still love the original version (Tong Leung/Kitty Lai) but I think this would come second. 

Are we going to get the back story of priestess mie jue and her husband? I always thought she is a virgin because she is the head of ermei, but she has husband? 

22 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

Are we going to get the back story of priestess mie jue and her husband? I always thought she is a virgin because she is the head of ermei, but she has husband? 

I assumed you got that from the english subbed episodes?  I think it was a mistranslation because according to the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Heaven_Sword_and_Dragon_Saber_characters#Emei_Sect

Guhongzi was just her senior.  I'm not too sure myself though.  Maybe a native chinese speaker could help us here.  I remember in a later episode, YX tells XF the backstory of MJ and Guhongzi.

41 minutes ago, randomuser3000 said:

I assumed you got that from the english subbed episodes?  I think it was a mistranslation because according to the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Heaven_Sword_and_Dragon_Saber_characters#Emei_Sect

Guhongzi was just her senior.  I'm not too sure myself though.  Maybe a native chinese speaker could help us here.  I remember in a later episode, YX tells XF the backstory of MJ and Guhongzi.

Yes, I got that from the subbed version (my Chinese is really bad, so not sure whether the translation is correct, but the translator also make a T/N about not knowing about the husband part). But in that particular scene, Yang Xiao made his comment clear about killing Mie Jue's husband and even said she should thank him because of that event Mi Jue can become a priestess and leader of Er Mei. Which is why I was confused as well. Also, I thought Er Mei is a female only sect (just like Wudang is a male only sect)? Is that not the case if they have Guhongzi as a disciple there?

5 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

Yes, I got that from the subbed version (my Chinese is really bad, so not sure whether the translation is correct, but the translator also make a T/N about not knowing about the husband part). But in that particular scene, Yang Xiao made his comment clear about killing Mie Jue's husband and even said she should thank him because of that event Mi Jue can become a priestess and leader of Er Mei. Which is why I was confused as well. Also, I thought Er Mei is a female only sect (just like Wudang is a male only sect)? Is that not the case if they have Guhongzi as a disciple there?

Hmm from the Vietnamese sub he said the guy was her husband, killed himself out of shame after losing to YX. And Er Mei disciples can still marry, remember how Xiaofu was supposed to marry 6th brother from Wudang. They're not nuns in a strict sense.

Ok, this isn't even from HSDS it's from the parallel drama but look at how shippy and full of fan service their BTS are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0AqKNmZwY

What I want to know is... where is our FAN-SERVICE HSDS 2019?!!  Where are the cute scenes where the actors fun around and raise our shippy-hearts' hopes and generate rabid fan reactions to boost ratings?!

[I feel cheated!! ;) ]

• LOL 2

I just saw the latest teaser, ZM and ZWJ tearjerker scene,.... So sad.... ZM is pushing the last boat so they can't come back to mainland and be together forever. This version is on the way to become the best HSDS ever. Hope the keep up the good acting from the cast until the finale.

Actually I'm a little leery of the latest trailers- dramatic much?

I guess they _are_ teenagers so dramatic is not so surprising, but I expected more. And hope the writers keep the tears and talk of dying and swooning intervals to vaguely reasonable levels. 

I like this version too so will be sad if it went the way of the 1994 one (which apparently shares writers with this version, which is why I'm particularly watchful for this not to become too dramatic!)

Amongst many other things, a

Spoiler

20 second not-kiss??! Really? ZWJ I'm starting to think you're not very interested in ZM....

Also the poor actress for ZZR just gets to

Spoiler

stand around and listen to ZM pretty much declare they undying love and apparently wasn't allowed to react.

Because the camera kept panning to her, and all she did was keep up her frown.  Not that I want hair-tearing or crazy reactions, but a little bit of reaction would have been nice.

Ok, sounds like I'm dissing the show, but I do still like the ZWJ interaction with the Ming Sect- plus we do get a lot of cute next week, so I'll hang around for that and then see how it goes! :)

I found this version is little more interesting than other version that i have watched. this version script is similar to the 2001 version with L Ng & Gigi Lai of TVB.

I'm waiting for the wedding part. One of my favorite part in this series.

Edited by Kimberly Lam

I actually like the latest trailer. So far,  the emotional, angst portion are still alright for me :D. I feel that angst,  if done properly, proportionally, and placed appropriately can give a deeper impact to wuxia series.  It's not just about actions  but it also give the series some heart and warmth. Of course, i hope they don't overdo the melodrama like in 94 version though :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

Regarding trailer,  The scenes where WJ wanted to kiss her but stop himself works for me.  In my opinion, it shows that he harbor a feeling for ZM that starts slowly from being annoyed to eventual love that is mature. They both know their relationship would be impossible at this point.  She's a royalty of the enemy while he is considered the leader of the forefront opposition.

The fact that For a split moment he just wanted to throw all caution hence he was thinking about kissing her actually shows his real feeling toward her. (I guess ZM is the only girl he has ever wanted to kiss but also "want" or threatened to "kill"? :sweatingbullets: On a side note,  it also shows how he was hurt the most when he thought she betrayed him and killed his cousin Yinli.  Guess it's like Paloma Faith said "only love can hurt like this":sweatingbullets:)

He likes her.   But then he caught himself from kissing her.  It actually makes his feeling toward ZM, besides attraction and interest, for me this show that he also respect ZM.  He knew the chance for them to be together was almost zero, hence he knows he should not overstep his boundary even though he was tempted at first.  So I actually think this scene works :blush: and can possibly be bittersweet.

I don't know how this version gonna end but I quite like that they also show the emotional struggle from ZM's POV. It makes her more humane,  I guess. 

I like Yukee acting, it really shows the desperation that ZM feels and keeps for herself since she was born as an enemy to ZWJ, and everyone seems to Be against them together.  Afterall,  She's a human, a young girl facing a situation that's possibly bigger than just her and WJ. It will somewhat involve her dynasty and their enemies,  kind of.

I love love the Ming and Wudang interactions. Yangxiao, Zhou dian,  wei yixao are gems. They truly make me care so much about their characters, something that I didn't feel in the previous versions. 

I feel Bambi's actings are still quite flat until this point.  We'll see when ZZR turn evil,  that should give more dimension to her character.

Now I am hoping they don't go the 2009 ending :sweatingbullets:

Peace all!!  :blush: