[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I wanted to update you on something I recently discovered.

Amazon Prime USA has licensed Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre 2019 in April 2020. If you’re from USA and subscribe to Amazon Prime you can watch for us and let us know how it’s different.

From what I gathered from the reviews/comments, it seems to only have Cantonese audio with English captions. I’ve been waiting forever for it to be licensed by Netflix but now I see that Amazon got there first so it’s exclusive to Amazon (no wonder).

I’m in Canada and unfortunately, Amazon Prime in Canada does not have the same content so I don’t have HSDS 2019. Well, if anyone can watch a couple episodes and give us a review, please help us out! :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kimmortal said:

Hey guys!

I wanted to update you on something I recently discovered.

Amazon Prime USA has licensed Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre 2019 in April 2020. If you’re from USA and subscribe to Amazon Prime you can watch for us and let us know how it’s different.

From what I gathered from the reviews/comments, it seems to only have Cantonese audio with English captions. I’ve been waiting forever for it to be licensed by Netflix but now I see that Amazon got there first so it’s exclusive to Amazon (no wonder).

I’m in Canada and unfortunately, Amazon Prime in Canada does not have the same content so I don’t have HSDS 2019. Well, if anyone can watch a couple episodes and give us a review, please help us out! :)

50 episodes, each episode are either 43-44min long. All of them in Cantonese with subtitles.

If there's a specific scene you want me to check for differences let me know. It's been a while so unless I go check both version there's no way I can tell what's different.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arcchidus said:

50 episodes, each episode are either 43-44min long. All of them in Cantonese with subtitles.

If there's a specific scene you want me to check for differences let me know. It's been a while so unless I go check both version there's no way I can tell what's different.

1) What’s the opening song?

2) Could you check episode 28, when Zhao Min is thinking back to her memories of him, does he think about her too? It’s just before he wakes up from his sleep. In the original streaming version, she thinks of him and then it cuts to him thinking of her, and wondering why he kept the box. In the dvd version, they cut out his part completely. You can tell because even the background music ends abruptly.

Also, still disappointed that 50 episodes is all we’re ever gonna get no matter which release it is.

1 hour ago, kimmortal said:

1) What’s the opening song?

2) Could you check episode 28, when Zhao Min is thinking back to her memories of him, does he think about her too? It’s just before he wakes up from his sleep. In the original streaming version, she thinks of him and then it cuts to him thinking of her, and wondering why he kept the box. In the dvd version, they cut out his part completely. You can tell because even the background music ends abruptly.

Also, still disappointed that 50 episodes is all we’re ever gonna get no matter which release it is.

1) It's the Cantonese opening song.

2) They cut the box scene like in the DVD version it looks like.

The dub is actually quite good in terms of emotion, if you know Cantonese. I actually kind of enjoyed it. It's too bad they messed around with the end of the story, but at least in this version Zhao Min and Wuji really loved each other.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:25 AM, hwonhwon_stv said:

The reunion

Zhang Wu Ji, Zhao Min, and Yin Li

96513013_1090609527977341_71134144329479

95953769_1090609451310682_27079025170642

96743729_1090609381310689_82092786800069

Still can't get over this Wuji.  I have seen most if not all version. This is the Wuji I have been waiting for.  Those eyes!!!:)

• Like 1

I think the author have the right idea but don't know how to write ZWJ.  He tried 3 times. Then he got old and just gave up and gave into the misinterpretation of Wuji from fans/critics.

He hit it with Guo Jing and Yang Guo and want to create Wuji as a masterpiece combination of those two characters but got lost cuz he doesn't know how to write such an innocent and wise boy to be believeable and still falls in with the typical cultural stereotype tradition at the time ...etc 

Ex. most older movie or stories that come out during that era always about one MAN with all this women falling all over him. 

Typical Asian mentality to consider men more important and makes women so weak that a group of them would fight over A man.  Some goes off the deep end and became evil witches over love of a man who is THE guy (roll eyes).

I have watched most versions until I became too frustrate and hated Wuji of all the condor heroes.  Because no actors (Tony is SO CLOSE) and even the author can't seem to understand the characters he created. 

Until 2019 Joseph Wuji.  In this version haha there are LOTS of off character personality that don't makes sense (godfather discrimination toward ZM.  He said she remind him of Wuji''s mom but he racist.  For someone who goes through as much as he did and living alone for almost 20 years.  You would think he became wiser). 

Lots and lots of plots holes but I am still happy with Yang Xioa and Wuji and Minmin:)   Wuji in this series actually show how he deserve to have a woman like Minmin love him.  Let's be honest.  If Wuji was JUST another man (as most versions except maybe 1986 which is CLOSE) he doesn't deserve to be loved by Minmin.  A princess with brain, power, personality and beauty.  Who's father is a great general.  She would have been exposed to most of the great/beautiful men/hero of the kingdom.

She doesn't need to fall in love with a rebel and gave all that privileges up.  But she fell for him because he is a precious genuine treasure in her world of royal court to Wulin (a world where almost everyone is a two face power-hungry hypocrite) 

In her world beautiful ambitious strong men are abundance.  But innocent, honest, geninunely kind and naive are --rare ---hahaha. ..so she fall for him and want to protect him...makes more sense 2019 version.  

Also, Wuji as womanizer is a stupid joke.  That he is conning enough to lead women on intentionally doesn't make sense.  This boy grew up 80% of his life ISOLATED. so he shouldn't have that much understanding of people. Also his parents are DEEPLY in love.  Growing up isolated with just 3 people who deeply love him. (2/3 are consider by society as "evil" and discriminated against. Thus it makes more sense he is wise to discimination)

His parents are deeply in love and committed to each other.  With him lost in a world he doesn't understand and suddenly piled high with heavy duties and responsibilities right after litterally coming out of the woods.  How can he be intentionally stringing people emotionally on when he is still trying to coop and finding out who he is?  

There are many forms of love.  His journey to discover them is part of the story of growing up. 1)There is love of a FIRST FRIEND and her act of an unforgettable kindness.  1st person who is actually nice to him who is an outsider after his parents die. So he would want to hold onto that imagine of kindness cuz it is a cherished memory of something good after going through hell.  It makes sense in 2019 version (and all other versions) why he forgave ZZR so much but doesn't romantically love her.  A crush at first (?) till he meet ZM and realize the difference.

2) Ali: love of a buddy who goes through tough time with you.  I love and cherish my best friend but I am not in love with her. 3) ZX. Pity and sisterly love.  Someone you gave into cuz they are so needy of your love. 

I love how 2019 protrayed all those type of love right on!! Great job production and Joseph!!

Wuji stupid?  Come on this is a boy who basically self taught himself medical skills to be a doctor at age 11? 12?

And learned on his own two sacred wugong techniques.  He ain't dumb. 

2019 production team finally got Wuji right...Joseph finally MADE Wuji real.  This 2019 Wuji makes you understand his struggle and love him even for his flaws.  Great job!!!!  Thank you!!  

Now I need more.  We saw Wuji grew from boy to man.  Now I want to see more of the man.  You just got a taste of him near the end. 

I could really do less with Zhirou character development and more with the ending.  Like how long did it takes him to find her?  He almost lost her 3 times without realizing...how can he make up for that?:)  near the end you can see him becoming the man that Zhao Min probably saw and reason why she is in love with him (a man her equal hidden in the lost boy)

("Figthing and winning the war is a goal/decision of mine that will not be deterred. Marrying Miss Zhao is also a goal/decision that will also not be deterred)  so HOT!  

He sacrifice his own love and happiness to fullfill a promise to millions he was forced into making for duty.  Then he left a whole kingdom behind to fulfill another promise to love.  Wow what a man.

I think this is the hero that the author originally try to write. Guo jing  (duty) and Yang Guo (Love). The perfection  combo and masterpiece of two beloved heroes.

2019 production team and Joseph have finally made it possible.

Edited by Saver
Add things I missed
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, jackieusa said:

Hehehe... Let me do it.:sweatingbullets::lol:   I hope you don't mind but I prefers gifs better than screenshots.

1. Grandpa, godfather hasn't been found. Furthermore, the Yuan's haven't eliminated. How can I have a family?

TJMIJoH.gif

ji0bb8i.gif

AYurpkF.gif

4. :love:

eK5ulXa.gif

5. :love:

LlbXj8I.gif

Icco7Wo.gif

gwufrgW.gif

8. LOL...WJ look so happy hanging out with his brothers.

m0pLJg7.gif

kko2673.gif

Notice how ZZR wait on him but he goes and hand made food for ZM and bring it directly to her while ZZR wait for him to come eat with her? Lol I love this Wuji.

Hahaha stupid girl ZZR it was satisfying to watch him leave her at the wedding.  Satisfying to see him send her flying back in front of everyone.

She knows he doesn't love her yet FORCED him to marry her in order to save her from her own self-inflicted wound. Forced and manipulate him into agreeing to marrying her, making a vowing to kill ZM (lucky this Wuji is smart and added  "if ZM is responsible.." that was so  clever of the script) even petty enough to force him to throw away the gold box after framing and trying to murder its owner.

The worst. The fact that she manipulated him to forgive her for crimes she has committed against him and those he loves, while also planning to commit more crimes.  And the fact that she made such serious oath to her sifu (if she marry or love wuji her parents no peace....son will be slave and daughter prostitue)

To make that kind of oath to someone then forced and manipulate such a kind man as Wuji to force him to marry her knowing he is in love with someone else... just because he want to save her from her self-inflicted injuries... AND then turn around and use it to repeatedly make him feel guilty...that is sick and disgusting.  This kind of person doesn't just make mistakes unintentionally (and the pretend suicide to get him to the alter)  and her heart was never pure cuz if it was she wouldn't have so brilliantly thought up such detailed ways to get away with all her evil crime.

I hate this character in the book and on screen.  She is so evil and get away with it almost scatch free in the novel and most TV adaptations.  

I don't feel sorry for her at all.  I wish the screen writer would stop giving her so much darn screen time.  Life sucks.  And it is OK to make mistakes. But this girl is just pure rotten when she kill, lies, manipulated so brilliantly that she got away scratch free in the end.  I really don't need to see her daily life at the ermei kitchen.  I really don't understand this character fan base. 

This version also left out how Wuji godfather (XX) got capture and why ZZR is bend on winning the competition at the temple and then attempted to kills XX.  so less screen time to explain more of this plot is better. 

But I guess everyone is different (sigh)  I just wish more time with our two main in the end. That hug wasn't enough.  One kiss isn't enough either.  ::::(  I don't think I will watch another version.  Joseph Wuji will now be the only Wuji for me. Tony is great.  But Joseph hit it.  Xoxox

Edited by Saver
Miss
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 12:23 AM, chipz03 said:

Thank you for the GIFs (I love GIFs!!) and eng sub.  You all are awesome. Btw,  may I ask for the link to watch the subbed ep?  I forget in which page the link was mentioned. Thanks all!!! 

Regarding the doomed "engagement" of WJ-ZR (it's gonna be loo~~ong :sweat_smile:):

I am echoing what have been said before.  He is just not that into ZR,   and I personally think ZR should thank ZM for releasing both she and WJ from the doomed wedding. If ZR got her way, ZM didn't show up to save WJ,  and ZR-WJ ended up married,  ZR and WJ would have to face a lifetime of unhappiness.

Why unhappiness, some might ask?  She would be married to the person she love, some might argue. She might love him (I still stick to obsession underneath it al. Sorry all who disagree :sweat_smile:),  but deep inside,  he loves ZM. ZR knew this. In prev versions, 86 and/or 2000 if I am not mistaken, she even confessed she knew that WJ love ZM the most, but she hopes with their marriage,  WJ will eventually love her (a big no no for me. If he doesn't love you in the dating phase, I am not sure marriage will change it to the better).  

One of the worst things for a married couple is to have to live with the shadow of his/her past someone. For ZR-WJ,  WJ will never physically cheat on ZR,  but emotionally?  He might wish he could but he would not be able to forget that one true love that got away. As years went by,  the married couple might grow to accept and be comfortable with each other,  but that one true love that slipped away will "live" in the marriage,  be it inside his deepest secret and/or inside her suspicion.  To live one's married life in constant doubts is awfull. 

As a spouse who would spend days and nights with him,  ZR will know that ZM will never leave his mind and heart. And it would be the worst case scenario for ZR. It will be like drinking seawater to satisfy her thirst: the more she drinks,  the thirstier she become. The more she wants to be sure that he loves her,  the worst it would be. 

She will spend her life wondering if or when WJ is thinking about ZM,  suspecting if he is still missing ZM. Suspecting if he thinks about ZM.  Suspecting if he ever truly love her or just doing his duties as a good husband.   Being unable to trust your spouse is another big no no in a relationship.

The (worst,  in my opinion)  thing is that she already "got" the ultimate price (for lack of a better word, apologies if this sound shallow) : the man himself.  What other tangible proof she can have to soothe her restlessness? To allay her suspicion? I suspect she wouldn't ever be sure if her husband truly love her or just tolerate/pacifying her.

He can say that he never cheats on her (and he won't cheat. WJ is too principled to do that), he would say loving words to calm her down but ZR would always wonder if ZM still resides in his heart. Does he say the words for her or for that memory of ZM?  Having the person but not the heart is a lose-lose situation for both person involved. A recipe for unhappy marriage, which would  quickly (I suspect) create embittered WJ and ZR down the road. 

I have seen more than one example of this case.  Her husband/wife was "forced" to abandon his/her former relationship. They got married because they are compatible, but years later,  the wife/husband is still prone to bitterly lash out at any mentions of his/her former love and/or descend into destructive lifestyles.  He/she never cheated on her/him and never even contacted his/her former love. But s/he seems to live in doubts about her/his spouse's love.   And it's sad. 

So, it's very naive of WJ, and ZR,  to think that they can be happy with their "marriage" should the wedding got through. The depth of his love to ZM will make it an uphill battle for WJ-ZR to thrive (and not to mention all the lies this union would be built upon). 

My personal opinion folks. No ill intention whatsoever to any parties. 

Peace all :blush:

Exactly.  :)

On 4/24/2019 at 9:05 PM, kimmortal said:

Hi everyone!

I started watching HSDS 2019 three weeks ago and caught up to the show just the day before they aired the last episodes on Wednesday (I basically sacrificed sleep to binge-watch the show so badly!) so I got really lucky that I didn't have to wait every week for episodes. I started watching with English subtitles, but then those ran out so I watched with Vietnamese subtitles, which believe me, makes me miss like 50% of dialogue because I can't read that fast. I've had to pause a few times for those crucial plot-heavy scenes. Then I've been lurking on this forum reading all your thoughts because I just can't get enough of Joseph and Yukee as Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min!

HSDS 1986 was my favourite before because I loved Tony and Kitty's portrayal and chemistry, but now Joseph and Yukee are -- hands down -- the best portrayal I have seen (and I have seen several versions before this!). I couldn't even get through 2009's version because I didn't like the camera angles and editing style.

Now I've noticed you guys have been mentioning deleted scenes. Any way we could petition for the DVD release to be the uncut version? I really want to own this series on DVD when it comes out.

I also believe there were lots of scenes cut because it looks to me like:

1) Zhao Min's brother should have had more scenes from the way he was questioning his own "betrayal" of his sister. Like, the dude's angsting quite a lot in only one scene without ANY context or backstory.

2) Then there's the wedding between ZR and what's-his-face. She claims she'll marry him -- which even to him was a surprise -- then next time we see them they're already married.

3) There's something missing in that scene where Zhao Min's soldiers were all killed by flying arrows on Snake Island (where the heck did those come from?!).

4) YX said he wanted to have a personal chat with 6th hero. Then cut and we don't see anything.

5) Some kind of resolution among YX, Buhui, 6th hero, and the baby they're about to have. Some happy ending. Her story ended too quickly.

I'm sure there are lots more. Can you think of more missing plots?

I agree:)

After wasting so much time watching most HSDS versions in frustration.  Yes frustration because the casting is always off and none of the script or actors have been able to deliever a proper Wuji i can love.  For a period I swore off HSDS.  

I thought in this life I would never again watch another HSDS because noone seem to know (even the author) know how to bring this amazing character to life.

I only first skim through the series cuz I like Yuke after watching Ashes of Love (a masterpiece..and I don't use that word lightly or for any series ever before)

But I fell in love with Joseph Wuji.  This is the Wuji I have been searching lol

(Was exposed to even the older than 1986 version since I was a kid. Thus, I was VERY young when I started HSDS.)  But version after version I can't put my finger on what was wrong with this series.   (love-hate.  Love the concept of Wuji and hated how no one can bring him to life). Got to the point where I gave up. 

To think I accidentally found this new treasure.  My love for Wuji was finally "renewed"? Is that the word?  Or maybe a better word.  I have finally "fallen" in love with Wuji.  I have always wanted to love Wuji.  1986 made it close but something was still off.. so I couldn't love him.

I think majorly cuz I couldn't understand why someone like Minmin would love him either in how he was always protray.

But Joseph's Wuji made me fall in love & made me realize why there is that love-hate I have always associated with HSDS  and for wuji of all the heroes.

Now I am addicted and can't get enough of this couple.  So addicted I made this account lol. Kept watching their MV over and over again. 

Thank you Joseph for bringing Wuji finally and Yuke for leading me back.

Thank you production team....I WILL definitely wanna see all 70 episodes.  However I would really prefer if they cut out a lot of ZZR character development.. it is really unnecessary to show too much of her daily life when the screen time could be used to explain the arrow scene on Snake island or why she want to win the competition for XX or try to kill him..etc

She is evil.  Don't try to make her better than she is.  I hate the fact that in both book and TV adaptions she seem to always get away with how evil she truly is scratch free in the end.  

There are people like AOL XF's brother who was forced and cornered into being evil to coop and there is people like ZZR who choose to be evil.  Someone with no principle or honour and stupidly ignorant & irresponsible.. blaming everyone for choices she makes.  

She was forced to make a oath to her sifu--yes.  But obviously her oath means nothing if she can disregard it so easily when she choose to forced and manipulate Wuji into agreeing to marry her thus going directly against it.

Knowing he love someone else and is forced to do so just to save her from her own self-inflicted poisoning. oh and continuously using the oath as an excuse to make him feel guilty. In my book that is beyond sick. Knowing how sacre an oath that sever is and knowing the importance to Chinese/asia culture to honour parents.  To make it and disregard that easily is messed up when it is YOUR parents and your future children that will pay the price. 

You can't be "pure" and knowingly do all that she does. Her nature can't "naturally" be kind and good if she can plan so brilliantly that she murder and get away with it and comes out seeming like she is such a saint.  She is borderline a psycho. Leave her be so cuz she does make the story interesting but stop trying to make her seem like she has redeeming quality. 

Hahaha sorry for the rant.  I can't help it.  3 things always bother me about HSDS. Off-Wuji. Zhao Min love for the unworthy adaption of wuji. And ZZR getting away scratch free.  

Sorry ZZR fan.  Can't ship her with Wuji.  He is too good for her.  She just want him as arm candy.  And Wuji deserve to be truly loves  more any anyone.  The poor guy went through a lot and yet is as pure as a saint.  He is a true rare treasure. 

It is OK to have meaningful villains in a story lol.  I believe in a good story--  everyone role is meant to be..-you love them--good or evil.  That is where AOL is a masterpiece to me.  You love ALL the characters.  You feel for them all cuz they are who they are..even the villians gave you moments of empathy and sympathy...and they pay their dues..

Sorry years of frustration need to be released here lol..thanks for your patient :)

13 hours ago, hwonhwon_stv said:

I love this scene

Wuji vs Kaypang

97826563_1094928264212134_15628901088336

97261488_1094928374212123_39236239124867

97197145_1094928484212112_77598940871629

97057665_1094928560878771_23332253498710

Me too.  So hot!!!  Thanks for pics.  I love how so many people share pics, links..etc here.  Thank you everyone!:)  Wish to read more fanfics cuz can't get enough of them.