[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

@kur4p1k4

Yes yes yes for this article on Zhao Min. It eloquently spell out why I super love Zhao Min character. Thank you for translating  and thanks for explaining the terms "wo ke yi", been wanting to understand the context used in the interview. :D

Warning: looong post, mainly gushing about ZM :sweat_smile:

For me,  ZM is bada*5s, even though she's not an angel.  She had done deeds that are deemed evil (although for some of the things she did, I felt that these schemes were more on the grey area as to whether those things were purely evil or not. Depending on which sides one was looking at these things she did. From her enemy's POV,  everything and all she did were evil things, but from her side, the views might not be similar).

I also agree that she never gave herself up despite giving up so many things for WJ. One thing I really like about ZM is that she's confident in herself: in her ability to command her subordinates, in her ability to carry out plans for her cause,  and in her ability to fight for the one she loved. This confidence has allowed her to establish herself and also allowed her to be certain of her feelings toward WJ and vice versa. She didn't need to isolate WJ from the other girls despite her annoyance of how he was too indecisive (heck, I would be annoyed too), because I feel that ZM valued  and respect herself more than just a damsel in distress who hang all her happiness on WJ's shoulder, who would wallow in self pity, play victim, and went on extreme jealous rampage toward any women who got even one step closer to her love.

Nope. She was secure in herself. She knew she could hold herself up against the other women in his life. Hence,  she didn't need to stoop low just to get his attention. No way. She knew she's worthy of and can definitely win his love, fair and square.

My slight disagreement with the article was when it said that WJ didn't value ZM at first. I might be wrong but on the contrary, I felt WJ had started to admire (or at least felt intrigued with) her since their first encounter. In her,  I believe WJ saw a lady who is more than just pretty face with meek demeanor (nothing wrong with this though. No offense please) . In ZM,  he saw a girl who is pretty but also smart, even cunning.  A formidable opponent with strong charisma who dared to unapologetically challenge him. And I feel he appreciated, and got annoyed too perhaps with this quality of ZM since the get-go. This, in my opinion, was one of the reasons that quickly catapulted ZM, who came into his life the last compared to the other three ladies and at the most diadvantaged position, on top of his heart and mind. 

With her,  he is fierce,  I also agree. For me, It showed how he could be himself more when he's with ZM. He could be mad, be angry at her sly tricks (although some might be albeit based on his impressions, perhaps), be shy from her teasings, be exasperated with her wittiness. He didn't have to always tip toeing around her feeling at the expense of his own happiness, but he could be honest. And this is one of the reason why I have always rooted for WJ-ZM to be together, since I first came to know HSDS. It would not be fair for WJ if he have to always sacrifice his own wants,  needs, and happiness to make others happy, especially when it comes to life partner, where he would spend his days with. When it comes to WJ-ZM,  they were more compatible. Perhaps she sacrificed a little too much for him, this I also agree (and I wish he could express more of his dedication and love toward her) . But at the end of the day,  when it comes to compatibility, WJ and ZM shared the most similar visions of what would be a happy future for them. At the end, they both can sacrifice and let go of everything for each other. Spending their lives at her homeland together. 

When it comes to life goals and visions of future that one wants,  of course compromise between couples are necessary and important.  One can take but also needs to give. But at the end of the day, compatibility is one of the most important aspect. No matter how much compromise there will be,  if a couple lack compatibility in their life goals and visions (what I felt was the case of WJ-ZR that was showed in 2019 version) ,  that would be troublesome. If one have to be the party who always walked around eggshells, having to "betray" oneself for the rest of one's life? That sounds very tiring. 

Additionally WJ-ZM are more equal. He could lead but he also knew when he should take a step back and listen to her advice. I believe that In his eyes, she is also his trusted advisor (especially once he overcame his prejudice and suspicion againts her in the attempted murder of his cousin).

All the ladies shared deep feelings toward WJ, that's true. However,  for me,  it was not just the depth of their feelings that counts, but also how they love WJ. Jealousy is normal but jealously to the extend of going ballistic and seriously harming others are not okay. ZM loved him fiercely, actively chasing him but as she matured up,  she could also love him selflessly, like the article mentioned.

Besides Huang Rong,  ZM also reminded me of my other favorite heroine: She Saihua, the matriach from the Yang family of Song Dynasty stories. They were all strong, confident,  and smart women who could take a step back to let their men lead, but could also step up and lead themselves. With these heroines at their backs, their spouses/partners knew they could be at peace, knowing that various other matters were in capable hands. They also found capable advisors in these ladies, confidantes who could exchange ideas with them, who could give them inputs whenever they faced tribulations, and who could accept their flaws.  But being strong didn't mean these women couldnot cry. On the contrary, they could also showed weakness, they cried. But they got back up again. As a woman myself,  I felt this is the one of yhe various aspects of empowerment.

Ugh,  I could go on and on about ZM haha. I guess she's my ultimate heroine among JY's stories goddesses. 

Sorry for the wall of text all. And no offense or ill intention whatsoever please. My personal opinions folks. 

Peace all :mrgreen:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm completely gobsmacked by the criticisms of young Joseph's performance. So far he's nailed the role in all its essence.  He's probably the most age-appropriate ZWJ that I've seen. And I love how he

About to get sentimental on you guys. I think I've finally realized why I'm borderline obsessed with this version of ZM/ZWJ, as opposed to just being a passerby viewer in the previous versions. This v

@kur4p1k4 thank you kurapika for the information. ZM and ZWJ are indeed the best couple beating all the odds. I think they are representing most of us people so we can feel the love.   

@chipz03 @sophiesyc Please take my translation of the "我可以" with a grain of salt, hahaha. That one is the hardest to find which one is the most likely meaning since this is the internet everybody is a jokester and always trying to make memes and meta commentary :sweatingbullets: I'm still not sure that's what it really means in this context.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the article. This will probably the last article about HSDS so I'm glad they talk more with Yukee and Bambi. Especially about ZR, as confirmed by this article I guess everyone who watched it know that she got whitewashed a lot. I don't know whether it's the right way to write/portray ZR, imo it actually makes her a weaker character overall than all other previous versions. And her reasoning, it just makes ZR a weak character with no self confidence and always blaming her circumstances rather than taking responsibilities, it just makes her bad, I don't remember the other version was this petty and self deprecating :huh: imho

Also I'm not really sure about the article heading ZR met the right person at the wrong time whether it's about SQS or WJ. I feel like it's about SQS since I truly believe at least in this version SQS attitude towards ZR (not the attempted rape one, that one still unforgivable) overall really fits ZR, since he never asked her of anything but only to let him love and take care of her. I don't think ZR really fits WJ since she's too insecure about herself and about WJ, in this version anyway.

And also for ZR's attitude "有我没她“"I exist, she cannot" I don't know how to translate that properly, it doesn't really mean she wants the other women dead, but more like if you already have me, you can't have any relation/friendship with other women (who could be a love interest), not just ZM.

When the article said that "赵公子“ "Young master Zhao" I lol'd so hard, when you think about it she does keep spending money/gifts/boats for WJ everytime they go out since the beginning to woo him :joy:

I think what the article imply is WJ did not value her as a love interest/a girl who could get jealous maybe. Even though I couldn't really blame WJ for that, since he's inexperience with this kind of feeling. WJ gave the hairpin to XZ because he thinks it's embarrassing to have a girly stuff as a man and at this point he still doesn't know that ZM is interested in him, he really thinks ZM is playing around/making a fool of him. When he knows that ZM is unhappy when you don't take good care of her stuff, he did change his attitude (the golden box). I think he only knows that ZM is not just making a fool of him and really like him when they were fighting about the bite mark, after that he becomes very docile in front of her since he just can't believe this beautiful and smart girl like him ^_^ 

Before that he really is frustrated and embarrassed that he keep getting played by ZM who always has more foresight than him, but he's still attracted to her. That's why it compounded his frustration, how can he show his good side if he keeps losing to her lol. And he still thinks that ZM never saw him more than a toy to be play with and thrown away after she's bored.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Guys, guys, guys, guys! :D:D:D:D

It's on ebay!! 

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Chinese-Drama-DVD-Heavenly-Sword-and-Dragon-Slaying-Saber-Ep-1-50-end-Eng-Sub/223582179716?hash=item340e895184:g:tKAAAOSw8EhdIV32

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If you search "heavenly sword and dragon slaying sabre" on eBay you'll find the DVDs with English subtitles! I've been waiting for months and it's finally available.

Now be warned, if you see a listing that says it's NTSC, they're probably lying or misinformed. It's NOT NTSC. This stuff is coming from Malaysia, so it will be PAL. I know this because last year I bought Legend of the Condor Heroes 2017 on eBay and it was PAL, and only playable on my laptop. You could probably find a DVD player that will play PAL but then it still might not work with your TV -- I don't know, I'm not that familiar. And if you happen to live anywhere that normally plays PAL anyway, well congrats! You have no problem playing these dvds!

It's a big deal for me to find this series with English subtitles because I've slowly been introducing Jin Yong to my very White husband. Hurray! oh wait--he can't watch this yet since he hasn't seen Return of the Condor Heroes with Yang Guo.

Nevertheless, for all you folks who prefer English subtitles, these are officially licensed publishing with good English subtitles. I know from my experience purchasing Legend. But after posting this, I'm going to purchase Heaven Sword 2019 as well.

So happy!!!

Edit: I did some research. For higher quality dvds and NTSC, there is a Singaporean company that manufactures it. I think Singapore will have decent English subtitles, right? I've never ordered it before. It also cost an insane amount more money than I care to spend. And the box will properly say NTSC for us fans in North America. For shipping to Asia/Australia/New Zealand they have their main website: Pohkimvideo.com. For international shipping (US/Canada/maybe somewhere else) they have their international website: Pohkim.net. Clicking on those links will take you straight to Heavenly Sword and Dragon Slaying Sabre 2019 listings.

Edit again: Ugh! I hope the English subtitles are written better than that plot summary! They used Cantonese spelling pinyin for the names which I’m just not used to!

Heaven-Sword-and-Dragon-Saber-12-Disc-Dr

• Like 5

Hahaha... I read somewhere that the comment Yuqi made on the lipstick was when going through security at the airport (she had forgotten to put a lipstick into the scanner and she found it when the metal detector went off, a fan overheard her saying that "ZWJ gave me that." I assume as a joke. ;) )

_But_ that doesn't preclude us using that in fanfiction and speculating on the significance of that comment! 

Nice to see interest here still- I might add as encouragement that funnily Lofter has a hard core group that is _still_ churning out dozens of new chapters across as many fanfics daily.  They're even getting creative (more creative) in terms of having fanfics within fanfics (where characters write or blog about fanfics) and other crazy ideas.  Mandarin readers you should check those out!

Happy weekend all!

• Like 2
On 7/17/2019 at 9:50 PM, Sisca_TVXQ said:

I was wondering if you guys know about the differences from Singapore version and Malaysia version since Singapore version is usually more pricier :sweatingbullets:

I would be more careful with Malaysia version, even though I only have experience with anime blu-ray/dvd, but they have a higher chance to be bootleg, even the one with Malay government certified sticker can still be bootleg, my friend bought one when they were on holiday, it got govt sticker that's why he thought it was legit, but the quality sucks, and it was obvious they rip it from Crunchyroll. So if it's not a store that you're familiar with I wouldn't recommend it, but again this is anime and it was a couple of years ago, maybe they got better, I cannot guarantee.

Singapore usually more strict about bootleg so usually you can trust them more when you buy it from them, but again be mindful if you're not familiar with the store, it can still be bootleg.

• Insightful 1
9 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

@kur4p1k4

I always buy mine from Myspeedy store, but now its all closed? So I recently start buying the Singapore version from Poh kim store. Thanks for the information :thumbsup:

When you receive yours, please give a review of it. I want to buy it but it's too expensive so I bought the Malaysia version on eBay. I want to see if the subtitles are good and if the quality is HD. Please let me know if  yours has good subtitles.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, polar15 said:

So they sell the same as broadcast in TV ?? Not the " uncut" one. Why?? :sweatingbullets:. I probably will buy if it is the uncut version. 

That’s what Chinese fans have been campaigning for the uncut version to be released, even as DVD.  But no luck so far. Nobody knows why. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, sophiesyc said:

That’s what Chinese fans have been campaigning for the uncut version to be released, even as DVD.  But no luck so far. Nobody knows why. 

I've made my peace with not getting the uncut version. This show made me fall in love with it using only 50 episodes. It's done. If one day I see some scenes that I haven't seen before -- great! But if not, I'm not going to be upset. It is, after all, still my favourite ZWJ thus far. And my favourite YX. And the prettiest ZM.

• Like 4