Quantcast

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

This version dials up everything basically. ZM is more passionate, ZWJ is more reactive ( he is both more pertubed by her and extra shy at her compared to previous versions). I do agree though that it's about time he gives up his "Ming sect is my priority" speech.  Can't wait for next week!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm completely gobsmacked by the criticisms of young Joseph's performance. So far he's nailed the role in all its essence.  He's probably the most age-appropriate ZWJ that I've seen. And I love how he

About to get sentimental on you guys. I think I've finally realized why I'm borderline obsessed with this version of ZM/ZWJ, as opposed to just being a passerby viewer in the previous versions. This v

@kur4p1k4 thank you kurapika for the information. ZM and ZWJ are indeed the best couple beating all the odds. I think they are representing most of us people so we can feel the love.   

Here we are again waiting for wednesday. 

To treat my hunger for the drama, i kept repeating the scene i like. For me, it is suicidal move by ZM, i swear it's very COOL, yukee chen nailed the scene in perfection. ZWJ rushed to her rescue and threatened the persian fighter is also very COOL. 

But i also think they spent too much time for 'BITE' scene. 

What about you guys? 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, graceeedwardmom said:

Here we are again waiting for wednesday. 

To treat my hunger for the drama, i kept repeating the scene i like. For me, it is suicidal move by ZM, i swear it's very COOL, yukee chen nailed the scene in perfection. ZWJ rushed to her rescue and threatened the persian fighter is also very COOL. 

But i also think they spent too much time for 'BITE' scene. 

What about you guys? 

Yep not to mention he broke through the acupuncture point when he saw her in danger. 

@BreezeC but that's how ZWJ in the novel though. For everyone who's already watched all version of this story i'm sure this is the ZWJ from the novel. 

For ZM, a bit of dramatic actually from this remake but still bearable. I just want the wedding episode and the rest. I'm not a fan of snake island arc. 

I kinda want more of these two interaction tho B)

rCwKNy1.gif

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, hamaji said:

@BreezeC but that's how ZWJ in the novel though. For everyone who's already watched all version of this story i'm sure this is the ZWJ from the novel. 

For ZM, a bit of dramatic actually from this remake but still bearable. I just want the wedding episode and the rest. I'm not a fan of snake island arc. 

I kinda want more of these two interaction tho B)

rCwKNy1.gif

Yesss I loved them. The fact that XZ did not like ZM in the beginning, ZM constantly flirting with ZWJ in front of her, to her coming to terms with that, and seeing that ZM risked her life to save her, her mother, and ZWJ. XZ realized that ZM was far from the demon girl everyone made her out to be. Even with ZZR, there was a scene where ZZR took ZM's sword and tried to avenge her master, and ZM told her to never touch her sword again. Then come next episode where ZM gave ZZR the sword to help fight the Persians cause she was injured. Great development. 

• Like 6

What I really loved about this version is that it seems everyone seems to be against ZM except for her family and ZWJ. Yet she constantly walks with confidence. Talk with conviction. Act with conviction. She has no regrets in her actions, strong in her beliefs. Her love doesn't waver and she will never give up. Can I just say how badass she is for wearing all black to a all red wedding. Coming there with no guards, knowing full well everyone there is an enemy except for maybe ZWJ and Fan Yao. In every version, I've always felt like she knew ZWJ would never let them touch one hair on her spoiled little head. There was no need for guards.

• Like 9

And I find it weird that ZM, upon hearing from XZ that ZWJ likes her, ZM immediately questions ZWJ about it in front of his godfather. I felt like if she wanted the answer she wanted to hear, she should have waited till they were alone. Knowing that his godfather does not like her identity, ZWJ answered cautiously. If she wanted the true answer, she should have at least waited till they were alone, he would have answered differently. 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, dramagirlslove said:

And I find it weird that ZM, upon hearing from XZ that ZWJ likes her, ZM immediately questions ZWJ about it in front of his godfather. I felt like if she wanted the answer she wanted to hear, she should have waited till they were alone. Knowing that his godfather does not like her identity, ZWJ answered cautiously. If she wanted the true answer, she should have at least waited till they were alone, he would have answered differently. 

Not at all, you get much worse answer if ZWJ alone, i think ZWJ will go round and round making excuses and empty promises just like what he did to YL. Remember YL and him got a LOT of time together. This is my opinion.

Better to ask directly, in front of strong witness, XX his own godfather. This is aligned with her strong character. She is the type girl who 光明正大 (do everything proudly open) and 敢爱敢恨 (dare to love and hate)。 Geez, at this point i think ZM is much more gentleman than ZWJ. I hope next eps ZWJ can make it up for her.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I'm completely gobsmacked by the criticisms of young Joseph's performance. So far he's nailed the role in all its essence. :blink: He's probably the most age-appropriate ZWJ that I've seen. And I love how he's completely out of his depth when dealing with the ladies especially ZM. :lol: Even though I've liked most of the other ZWJ, I think Joseph imbues the character with a youthful passion that doesn't feel overly affected. Anyhow... All of this has me reaching for a Chinese idiom that my elders were fond of using... something about having eaten to one's fill and having too much leisure time. 

Ah... the angst is upon us. I'm of two minds about it. I do like the angst but it's always gut wrenching to see ZM get unfairly maligned. But no one can say that the girl doesn't work hard to get what she wants. ;)

I adore the kid that plays ZM... she's so good and she really manages to hold her own even with all the other pretty girls. There's certainly no lack of them in this drama. Her beauty has a certain depth to it that comes from her intelligence. It's very captivating and makes it all the more believable as to why WJ would finally succumb. ;)

I can't wait for the wedding to get disrupted. :P Sometimes I feel a pang or two for ZR... what woman wants to be left at the altar... but I can't muster too much sympathy at the end of the day. It's all based on deceit and manipulation anyway so I'm quite happy for ZM to saunter in and shake things up. It's ZR's comeuppance and a complete lack of understanding of who she's up against. ;) 

I'm going to undertake the thankless task of defending WJ because I like him and I don't think he's wishy washy. I find it telling that in the previews of upcoming episodes that he doesn't come right out and say that he doesn't like ZM. All he says is that they're on opposing sides and one day he'll be fighting her father and brother on the battlefield. If he was really, really keen on getting rid of her, I'd imagine he would come right out and say that he has no feelings for her except as a friend. (He calls most of the others "sisters") But of course WJ can't lie his way out of a plastic bag either. 

I can imagine that most people watch this mainly for the romance which is why they're up in arms about how WJ treats ZM at this point in time. Like everyone else I root for ZM as well. I'm exceedingly fond of ZM and this ZM is fast becoming my favourite. ( I adored Ady An and of course I grew up loving Liza Wang playing badass women)

But I don't watch this entirely for the romance because there's a sociopolitical angle to this that I'm drawn to. 

WJ is stuck in an untenable position. Some of it is of his own making undoubtedly. Because of his meddling, the Ming sect is saved. Against his own desires, he reluctantly becomes leader. He's somewhat emotionally blackmailed IMO into doing so. The upside is that he becomes instrumental in the reformation and unification of Ming and then brings about a truce between the six sects and Ming. In his heart of hearts, it's not what he really wants to do with his life. He spent the first 20 years of his life living a carefree if precarious life. But his Wudang elders want him to use the opportunity to lead Ming onto the straight and narrow and to reformation. Then there's the entire Ming sect made up of formerly disparate entities as well as his maternal relatives who are pinning their hopes on him to lead the campaign against the Mongols. There's a lot at stake for a lot of people and he, being the good boy that he is, doesn't want to let them down. He has obligations to ZSF, his uncles and the tricky task of holding the Ming sect together because he has witnessed firsthand what results from their disunity. Afterall, he saved them... and the six sects from a complete bloodbath.

This is the context from which he operates. He may be Sect Leader Zhang but he's not a character in a rom com. He doesn't have the personal freedom to pursue a romance which he rightly or wrongly perceives to be a lost cause because there is a bigger picture at play. In his formative years, the three people that he cared about the most were his parents and Xie Xun. Out of all of them, only one of them's left. It makes sense that he would be fiercely protective of his godfather... who was practically a second father to him. I certainly would have no respect for WJ if he did not factor XX into his actions. While ZM understands how important XX is to him, I don't think she quite understands why he is hanging onto the leadership of Ming and the agenda of staging a revolution. It's not about giving up ambitions... because WJ must be the least ambitious person in this story. It's largely about carrying through obligations that weigh heavily on him. 

I don't think he's wishy washy in the sense that is commonly understood. Of course his heart wants what it wants and eventually steers him to where he ends up.;) But it's not as if he starts out wanting to deceive people by trying to cover his flaws. When his work is done, he makes a graceful exit and hopefully enjoys the freedom he craves. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, dramagirlslove said:

Not to mention the fact that he was in complete panic when he couldn't find her on the island. Once he found out Yin Li was dead, his first thought was ZM, in which he called her Min Min for the first time (sad she wasnt there to hear it). 

Ohhh boy, I can't wait to get to that point!!  Just reading about it makes me happy... ZWJ in a panic over ZM and calling her Minmin at last! (I've noticed near everyone else gets Xiao Zhao or Zhirou and it's just ZM who constantly gets Miss Zhao!)

And I too adore her confidence, but I think someone mentioned somewhere about the difference between poor girl and rich girl? I think growing up a Princess amongst really powerful, confident people like her father and brother has given ZM a real leg up on confidence that few others (not even ZWJ or the Ming sect members) can match.  

I LOVED the fight scene, so pretty and so cool...  ZM doesn't get to fight much but she sure rocks it when she does!  Graceeedwardmom I suspect that's what I'm going to be watching on repeat the next 4 days as well waiting for next Wed! 

Oh and another random favorite bit?  The first Persian fight:  ZM/ZZR coming to ZWJ's aid, and then ZWJ defending ZM and ZZR in return by slowing their falls backward, and then sweeping them behind him as he takes the next blast.... its actually almost as cool as some of the manga fight scenes and ZWJ sure seems awesome! :)   (Plus can I say, I love it that ZWJ takes ZM with him on his trips out- and the one where she is holding yitian and he is using Tulong is a bit of magic too! :) )

• Like 3

I love The fact that zm can have a heartfelt moment with xz despite her being a jealous at first.

she can also put aside her feeling toward ZZR and work together with her in the fight speaks volume of zm character. She knew that there are times when putting asides differences is much more important than anything else

And her quick thinking..super cool.

I want to praise CYQ acting skills here.  She plays the different range of ZM emotion really well. One thing I notice is that,  even when she's doing the choreography for the fight scenes, she didn't fall out of her acting. What i meant is that,  she is still Zhao Min even when she is concentrating on her movements and steps.  A lot of times I saw actors/actress when they focus on fight choreography, they can lose the mimic but not her. Kudos to her. 

Regarding WJ shout Min min when he was in panic, thinking about her getting hurt actually speak volume of his real feeling that he hid.  When aomeone is in panic,  it's very easy to let their guard down, allowing their real feelings to come to the surface. I think this can be an example that he actually start treating ZM as his most important in his subconcious mind. :D

B)

I just remembered one thing.  The pic where ZM got stabbed, she wore the red costume.  Could this be somewhere right before,  in or right after the saving xie xun arc? Because I remembered seeing a BTS where WJ is doing his fight choreography (at the stage where the competition to get XX seems to be),  and at the back,  whrre the Ming cast is,  I thought I saw ZM wearing the red costume there too. One speculation I had

Spoiler

Maybe this is got to do with her brother/father trying to take her back or something like that? If I remember correctly, in the previous versions, het family tried to take her back during her journey to save XX.  In 86 version,  that's when her father said that if she chooses to be with WJ,  she will no longer be her daughter (if I am not mistaken). Very curious how this version progress toward the finale.

Peace all

:D

• Like 2

Spoiler. People who never even once watch dragon sabre don’t read it

Spoiler

They make ZZR too kind hearted at the beginning in this version. I feel it kinda weird that she suddenly can turn that vicious and cunning, seeing that she refuse to kill evil sect’s member and suddenly she kill Yin Li? I don’t remember her character that kind hearted in other versions. Just that she is gentle and soft spoken.

ZWJ in this version seems just love ZM and treat the other girls as his sister. Unlike on the other versions where i feel he loves all the girls, especially Xiao Zhao. I always feel he loves her the most and might choose her over ZM if only she did not have to leave

Edited by aoife86
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, chipz03 said:

I just remembered one thing.  The pic where ZM got stabbed, she wore the red costume.  Could this be somewhere right before,  in or right after the saving xie xun arc? Because I remembered seeing a BTS where WJ is doing his fight choreography (at the stage where the competition to get XX seems to be),  and at the back,  whrre the Ming cast is,  I thought I saw ZM wearing the red costume there too. One speculation I had

Hide contents

Maybe this is got to do with her brother/father trying to take her back or something like that? If I remember correctly, in the previous versions, het family tried to take her back during her journey to save XX.  In 86 version,  that's when her father said that if she chooses to be with WJ,  she will no longer be her daughter (if I am not mistaken). Very curious how this version progress toward the finale.

Your theory might be one of the possibility. I remember

Spoiler

in 1986 version, when ZM and ZWJ were confronted by ZM's father, she kind of hurt herself so that her family would let both ZWJ and her free. While in 2003, ZM was threatening her father by putting a dagger on her neck.

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, aoife86 said:

Spoiler. People who never even once watch dragon sabre don’t read it

Reveal hidden contents

They make ZZR too kind hearted at the beginning in this version. I feel it kinda weird that she suddenly can turn that vicious and cunning, seeing that she refuse to kill evil sect’s member and suddenly she kill Yin Li? I don’t remember her character that kind hearted in other versions. Just that she is gentle and soft spoken.

ZWJ in this version seems just love ZM and treat the other girls as his sister. Unlike on the other versions where i feel he loves all the girls, especially Xiao Zhao. I always feel he loves her the most and might choose her over ZM if only she did not have to leave

In this version, it's jealousy that drive ZZR crazy and evil. Her target is ZM, YL is just collateral damage in the process. ZZR got the central attention as this pure innocent beautiful smart talented gentle girl like most wanted and eligible lady in the wulin. Then come ZM entering the picture, everyone seem to forget about her. ZM is the opposite of what ZZR has built her entire life yet she managed to snatch ZWJ heart. 

• Like 3

@aoife86 agree re ZZR being portrayed in a much better light here. I'm curious to see how they explain her transformation once everything is revealed.

I think in the 2009 version WJ definitely seems to have a bit more chemistry with XZ, but I don't remember in the other versions if he treats her any special. The 2009 version did a great job with XZ, she was playful, smart and memorable. I never really care for XZ in other versions. In the novel though I do think he is a bit biased towards XZ since it was for the most part a very uncomplicated relationship, unlike his other ones -_-

@Yitian_fan great point about the difference in confidence due to upbringing! ZZR's turn for the worse could be attributed to her insecurities being brought up as an orphan. XZ's acceptance of being his maid instead of vying for a wife spot also might be due her having to hide her identity and being in the shadow all the time. A Ly has all the baggage about her dad trying to kill her and her appearance being ruined. ZM if we think about it grew up the most fortunate, and is the most spoiled, thankfully that helps her become confident and not evil.

• Like 3
  • sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记