[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

This is a little off topic, but I was watching LOCH 2017 and there’s that scene in the rain when Huang Rong says to Guo Jing that even though it seems like in the future (1 month from then) they can’t be together (because he has to return to Mongolia to marry Huazheng), if they could be together for one month, they’ll cherish that one month. One day then they’ll cherish that one day.

I’m reminded of stupid Wuji on Snake Island who stops himself from kissing Zhao Min because they’ll be enemies as soon as they return to Central Plains and then again the scene at the lake where he tells her she might have to one day confront a reality where he kills her father and/or brother on the battlefield.

Both couples are seemingly incompatible and not fated to be together because of their duty and promises to other people. But at least Guo Jing is willing to love and be loved for however little time he has.

This is why I never liked Zhang Wuji!! If not for Joseph Zeng playing him so well, to make me fall in love with his character portayal, I would have never fallen in so deep. It pains me every time I think about Zhao Min’s sacrifices to him, and what little he gives back. Why couldn’t they allow themselves just to BE while on the island? :angry:

Okay, rant over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

If i never watched HSDS before and have never liking this series and if I watched prev versions/read the novel now as a more grown up adult, I also don't think I will like this series or at least WJ as much as I did (due to having already liking this series ever since I watched older versions as a kid) with the way WJ character was (no offense please). Perhaps if 2019 version is my first HSDS, I would like WJ as I did since  JZ did excellent job and this version make WJ more decisive, which make me liking WJ of this version a lot. 

One way to think about why WJ refused to kiss her:

He didn't want to "ruin" her reputation perhaps? Or he didn't want to give her false hope.  He secretly likes her,  it's true,  but at that time he thought he cannot and will not be with her. So he place her well-being and honour first. (WJ here is very principled and very (too?) strait-laced haha). In the latter episode when he finally kissed her,  they were already at the stage where they mutually understand and agreed that they were in relationships, but at the island, they might not be in that stage yet.

It would be nice to add one more kiss perhaps, such as at the inn when he found out she's alive. 

Peace all :mrgreen:

• Like 3

@kimmortal

I don't like Zhang Wuji as a character in most of the previous versions but I love this version of Zhang Wuji due to he's not the wishy washy type.  The bonus for me is how Joseph Zeng who portrayal his character to perfectly how I like it.  Another reason I love Joseph's portrayal was his excellent chemistry with Yukee (I know I mentioned many times already).  Both of them are very comparable, even 86 version can not beat this. 

I understand Zhao Min suffered a alot for him.  WJ knew ZM like him a lot (hence: sacrificed her life when fighting the persian) and he also like her a lot.  Still they're enemies of two countries, WJ think their future is impossible, nada, zero chance.  This version of WJ portrayal as an upright gentleman, he definitely won't take advantage of her when he know they can't be together.  That is the reason why he hold back the kiss at Snake Island.

The scene at the Lake, I think WJ already made up his mind that he's going to marry ZZR since he already make that promised.  Again being an upright and live by the principal kind of guy, he can not lies about his newly engagement with ZZR to ZM.  He has to be upfront and be frank about their situation and warned her about the consequences if they insist to be together (him and her family killing each other at the battlefield).  At this point of time WJ probably think their love is even more impossible when they were at Snake Island. WJ also wants ZM to give up on him and go back to her family and live the life she use to live. He doesn't want to see her suffer more pain (only If he know she still suffered back home and almost got beheaded because of him).  I think in other versions, WJ did mentioned that ZM being a high status princess she is, he is not good enough for her.

We the audience might think WJ is being stupid to rejected a girl like ZM and marry a girl like ZZR (me included, no offense to others..please don't kill me).  But in reality he has to look at the bigger picture, ZZR is the perfect choice for him and his Wudang family, godfather, grandfather, uncle, and  Ming Cult. members.:lol:(WJ live for everyone else but himself).  Their lives are not solely base of their love life, they have to think about their families, duties, and countries, etc.  LOL....I have to rewatched so many times to understood WJ perspective. I used to get so mad at WJ when I watched episodes 39 to 41 for the first time.  I even told myself not to rewatch those episodes but I'm glads I did, I understood WJ more now with a clearer mind.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Okay after watching the FY and WJ extended fight, I am pissed!!! Why didn't they just cut the useless Er Mei daily life, ZR cooking, SQS love life stuffs, even the early Wu dang uncle and child WJ stuff also, aarrrggh!!

Why did they cut WJ's line in the mainland, where he said "Lend it to him"? Just by adding this one line for WJ it changed the whole dynamic, it showed that WJ is the leader, it give WJ a different aura as Jiao Zhu. If WJ didn't say that YX wouldn't give  the sword, aaarrgggh!!! :angry:

Also by doing that awesome movement where WJ took back the sword it gives a whole different gravitas, that WJ already lend it to FY now he's taking it back, it showed, I'M STRONGER THAN YOU, I don't need a sword just the scabbard to shut you down. AARRRGHHH!!!! :tired:

Do you read Chinese?  I curious about the Cfans reactions.  Did they make a commotion about the cut of this crucial fights scene specially WJ's line "Lend it to him" was completely cut out?  Fans of HSDS are already complaining about this version's kunfu department are being weak and how dared they even cut that suppose to be an awesome fight scene short. :rage: 

TVB's version - Extended fight scene

https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/Hvv68hGof?fid=1034:4375076145959713

57 minutes ago, jackieusa said:

Do you read Chinese?  I curious about the Cfans reactions.  Did they make a commotion about the cut of this crucial fights scene specially WJ's line "Lend it to him" was completely cut out?  Fans of HSDS are already complaining about this version's kunfu department are being weak and how dared they even cut that suppose to be an awesome fight scene short. :rage: 

TVB's version - Extended fight scene

https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/Hvv68hGof?fid=1034:4375076145959713

Mostly same reaction as me, "why they cut just this one line?" "they should be able to fit this line" "is there somebody in the editing dept. who hate Joseph's WJ?" "Jiao Zhu so handsome" "Give back my son's deleted scenes" " Who said that big eyes are bad, see how majestic he looks" lol :lol:

But yeah like I said before, just by adding back this one line it changed the whole dynamic of that scene. Previously YX immediately lend the sword without order from WJ, I actually thought YX already know who Ku Da Shi is that's why he immediately gave it, and it kind of make little of WJ's stature as Jiao Zhu, even though previously YX was so demured when he thought he offended WJ by promoting Zhu Lao Si without his permission, like it's just weird, like YX only respect you when he needed to but not all the time??? so weird.

But by adding back "Lend it to him" it gives integrity to YX who always respect WJ as Jiao Zhu, also give gravitas to WJ aura as Jiao Zhu.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!:tired:

@LaurenPanna Don't ever go to Tieba then I think you'll vomit blood.

I'll just give you this an interview with Yukee and it said by the numbers most c-netizens is in love with Yukee's ZM, ignore the trolls. The fact that they comment on BTS is just stupid and should be ignored ;)

https://www.weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404359834588810749#_0

Edited by kur4p1k4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, kimmortal said:

Guys, I need something else to watch. I feel so directionless. :sweatingbullets: I'm suffering from "What do I do now? Syndrome", especially now after the Game of Thrones finale. Everything I was anticipating this year has ended. Finished Avengers: Endgame, Game of Thrones, Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre (both the series AND the novel)... What did I used to do with my life? :lol:

I watched a pretty good show last year called "Proud of Love".  Check it out if you don't have anything else to watch: https://mydramalist.com/16403-proud-of-love

Another show you should check out is "Barry". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5348176/

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention.  Proud of Love has 2 seasons.  The first season's theme is body swapping and the second one involves time travel.  It's a fun not-so-serious show that you can finish in a day or two.

Edited by vicious219
  • Thanks 2

Yeah @kur4p1k4

Unfortunately I visited tieba once and really did vomit tonnes of blood. It was like the people there are totally from different planets at all. After reading their comments, I wonder which hole did I come from. I only feel normal when I visited soompi and weibo. 

Thanks @kur4p1k4 and @jackieusa for all the awesome Gifs and analysis 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Guys, I just noticed something at the beginning of Episode 49 - when WJ led his Ming brothers to fight the Yuan soldiers in their own camp. There wasn't any shots of WJ himself fighting - there were of everyone else. I wonder if there is a deleted scene of him in the camp. 

I was kinda hoping that he would try to avenge MinMin's death. 

41 minutes ago, PutriSing said:

Guys, I just noticed something at the beginning of Episode 49 - when WJ led his Ming brothers to fight the Yuan soldiers in their own camp. There wasn't any shots of WJ himself fighting - there were of everyone else. I wonder if there is a deleted scene of him in the camp. 

I was kinda hoping that he would try to avenge MinMin's death. 

I think this is the one that got cut before the start of ep 49. I never see this scene anywhere, but it's in the OP song. I don't think he would ever kill ZM's dad and brother even if they're the ones who kill her imho, 1st they're ZM's family, 2nd WJ just do not like killing people for personal vengeance

vUpS9PCl.png

• Like 4

Just now, kur4p1k4 said:

I think this is the one that got cut before the start of ep 49. I never this scene anywhere, but it's in the OP song. I don't think he would ever kill ZM's dad and brother even if they're the ones who kill her imho, 1st they're ZM's family, 2nd WJ just do not like killing people for personal vengeance

vUpS9PCl.png

Oh seriously? there is a cut scene? Maybe we will get to see it somewhere! 

Yes, you are right - WJ is not into revenge killing. I was hoping that he would at least confront them... oh well.. 

• LOL 1

WOW: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av53187330?from=search&seid=11669146265011095660

A compilation of clips from Joseph and Yukee behind the scenes. Um, they are sooooo cute??? WTH? Like, they are quite touchy even when not filming. So much chemistry everywhere. Totally need to collaborate on another drama again because I need to see it in this lifetime. hahaha

• Like 1
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, LaurenPanna said:

https://m.weibo.cn/5924656629/4374398993446450

Wuji take the horse, ZZR walked 

VS

Wuji and MM ride the horse together 

Hahaha, I would probably give this a pass, since this is more of a show of force for Ming sect, like all those political campaign theatrical show off. Even all the Ming sect ppl are walking and WJ horse is held by somebody right B)

I guess this was shot when Joseph still cannot ride a horse by himself.

4 hours ago, deminni said:

WOW: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av53187330?from=search&seid=11669146265011095660

A compilation of clips from Joseph and Yukee behind the scenes. Um, they are sooooo cute??? WTH? Like, they are quite touchy even when not filming. So much chemistry everywhere. Totally need to collaborate on another drama again because I need to see it in this lifetime. hahaha

I agree, they must work on another drama again! As couple again 

• Like 4

Another nice pic of JZ and YC. All credits to the owners of the oic/account

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4375491735345574

Add me to another one wishing for their collab soon. Their on screen chemistry is too good to be showcased only in one drama. That small touches,  reflex glances toward each other. It's hard to be able to reach that level of chemistry between co-stars :mrgreen:

• Like 3
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, chipz03 said:

Another nice pic of JZ and YC. All credits to the owners of the oic/account

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4375491735345574

Add me to another one wishing for their collab soon. Their on screen chemistry is too good to be showcased only in one drama. That small touches,  reflex glances toward each other. It's hard to be able to reach that level of chemistry between co-stars :mrgreen:

I know. I really love them! Like obsessed. 

• Like 1