[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

13 minutes ago, Yitian_fan said:

Oh boy! Just watched it... and ok, it's totally artificial, but as it turns out I'm a ZWJ-angst sucker... teared up listening to ZWJ's lines! :bawling:

Here's the translation for those who want to know what he says

Reveal hidden contents

Minmin you often laugh at me for being stupid, for not being a real general. The military tactics book in Yitian is meant to be a brilliant text, yet even with that Guo Jing and his wife gave their lives to the country, how could I hope to do different?

Minmin, if you were still here with me, you would teach me what to do wouldn't you?  No, no you wouldn't, of course you wouldn't want to see me fight your father.

Minmin, wouldn't you scold me?  All I did was get lucky and learnt some wugong, but military tactics are beyond me

You're right. I am an idiot through and through.  What did I think I was I doing leading an army into battle?  In the end I couldn't defend even you!

Don't worry, when I've done what I need to do, I'll come and keep you company. I wouldn't let you be alone anymore... wait for me.

Ok, try to rewatch the video, listen to the beautiful music, realize this is what Wuji is saying and I DARE you not to cry! 

I totally get it that FY was super frustrated ("Without your order, no one will listen to anyone else, and we're in complete disarray!") and this is just one more nail in the coffin of why-ZWJ-wouldn't-make-a-great-leader. 

Because he's too wonderfully feeling a person.

[Off to go blow my nose and wash my face... ]

I actually find it quite touching when he said this - -" yet I can't even protect you" 

This sentence kinda choke me into sadness

4 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

I actually find it quite touching when he said this - -" yet I can't even protect you" 

Yes, that and he reprimands himself for, in a way, his arrogance at leading an army when he isn't suited for it. 

I definitely wept at "wouldn't you scold me?" and , of course, at "wait for me."

This version seems determined to pile on the melodrama and make us feel the OTP's pain. Not only are they playing up the star-crossed lovers angle, the outlook for their being together seems bleak. Truthfully I've really missed some of the humour of 2009 especially at this stage. 2009 had issues undoubtedly but it gave off a fun vibe once WJ and MM became a thing. Still, the skinship is good and there can't be any doubt in anyone's mind that these are two people who really love each other.

The other thing I missed from 2009 is the martial arts. WJ's first battle with the three Shaolin masters was rather lacklustre although second round was a vast improvement. I was hoping to find the Jing Gang circle much more spectacular than what it was. There was some good stuff at the various one on one duels thankfully.

I am reminded once again of what a gracious and noble person Yang Xiao is. I really appreciate his innate nobility in how he deals with ZM. He accords her with respect that's quite rare in this show although I suspect it's generally out of respect for WJ. With his history with women, I imagine he has given the messy business of relationships a great deal of thought. To the others their leader is a foolish young man who has been mesmerized by the witch but to him, he can see that their leader is someone who is in love.  I don't doubt he can relate on far too many levels. ;)

On some level ZR is a rather pitiful and lonely character. The drama is clear about driving that home. I acknowledge that not because it lets her off the hook (for me at least) but it shows that she cannot be true to herself. Outwardly at least, she's doing a good job of being Miejue's protege par excellence but while that's happening, she's losing herself all the more. By taking on the leadership mantle she puts on the facade of ruthless arrogance but in reality she's torn up inside by all her loyalties. Her certainty and strength is for show mainly and inside she's waging a terrible war with herself. She is pitiful in my books because it's largely her choices has brought her to this place. What she will do with QS is an interesting aspect to this version

WJ because of his honourable nature obviously thinks he's to blame for how she's turned out which is why he in part hasn't named and shamed her publicly for telling fibs and pretending not to know what's happened to the Tu Long sabre . Of course he needs her help too so it's best not to aggravate the angry lady any more than he needs to.

There's no doubt that WJ is ZM's Achilles' heel. But she hasn't lost her wits and her ability to reason or play the long game. The reason why I'm impressed with Yukee's interpretation of the character is how she imbues MM with a vulnerable youthfulness. I never think that she's acting. She becomes ZM in all her aspects. One moment she's wounded and weak but the next she's clever and strategic. And it feels seamless to me. I watched an interview with Yukee last week, I think it was. It was like watching a different person. She's older in RL and yet she achieves MM's impassioned youthfulness without going aegyo and coming across as affected.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, arcchidus said:

Woah they are really making stuff up now. :/ there’s going to be so much more out rage on the web again about this.

That's so weird that people are so protective of canon. The Tvb version (2000) made up a ton of stuff too, and it wasn't even good. Maybe I've been trained by kdrama but I enjoy the melo :\ and enjoy comparing it to the original to see what creative touch they've put to it. Praying that fans will recognize the value of the added stuff :sweat:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, insertusernamehere said:

That's so weird that people are so protective of canon. The Tvb version (2000) made up a ton of stuff too, and it wasn't even good. Maybe I've been trained by kdrama but I enjoy the melo :\ and enjoy comparing it to the original to see what creative touch they've put to it. Praying that fans will recognize the value of the added stuff :sweat:

They say 2000 version captures the spirit of the canon where as the depressing stuff that’s happening really does not.

2 minutes ago, arcchidus said:

They say 2000 version captures the spirit of the canon where as the depressing stuff that’s happening really does not.

Ahhh I see. I don't disagree, but the melo so far either makes me laugh (throwing away the umbrella! In the rain!) Or cry, so I'm happy with it :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Now I'm having fun imagining what went through the writer's head: "ok so in the novel there was a scene where Wuji wanted to ask ZM's strategy opinion since he's stuck and she's much better at it than him, but he can't because he doesn't want to put her in a difficult spot (fighting against her family). What if we jazz it up by having her (fake) die and him crying at her grave?"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Now I'm having fun imagining what went through the writer's head: "ok so in the novel there was a scene where Wuji wanted to ask ZM's strategy opinion since he's stuck and she's much better at it than him, but he can't because he doesn't want to put her in a difficult spot (fighting against her family). What if we jazz it up by having her (fake) die and him crying at her grave?"

Hahah... you need to write fanfiction- sounds good to me! ;))

BTW, speaking of fanfiction I heard that they are producing a modern day AU of Condor Heroes- i.e., the story of Guo jing in a modern day, medical setting. 

https://cfen.si/2019/04/11/medical-au-of-legend-of-the-condor-heroes-star-dong-zijian-zhang-jiani/#comments

This is clearly fanfiction territory, so I'm super excited that they are making a drama about it!

Honestly I have read plenty of fanfiction (cough Harry Potter cough) that is far, far superior to the original work, so if they are embracing the tenents of fanfiction in drama making, I'll be super excited to see radically different HSDS's in the future... think modern setting (HSDS as a corporate drama between opposing sides of a commercial war or HSDS as a high-school drama) or cross overs with R&J (as mentioned before) with fantasy genre (so more sorcery than wuxia) or space-age HSDS (warring planets and ZWJ as an ace spaceship pilot.)

The possibilities are only limited by imagination and good writing.

1 hour ago, Yitian_fan said:

Hahah... you need to write fanfiction- sounds good to me! ;))

BTW, speaking of fanfiction I heard that they are producing a modern day AU of Condor Heroes- i.e., the story of Guo jing in a modern day, medical setting. 

https://cfen.si/2019/04/11/medical-au-of-legend-of-the-condor-heroes-star-dong-zijian-zhang-jiani/#comments

This is clearly fanfiction territory, so I'm super excited that they are making a drama about it!

Honestly I have read plenty of fanfiction (cough Harry Potter cough) that is far, far superior to the original work, so if they are embracing the tenents of fanfiction in drama making, I'll be super excited to see radically different HSDS's in the future... think modern setting (HSDS as a corporate drama between opposing sides of a commercial war or HSDS as a high-school drama) or cross overs with R&J (as mentioned before) with fantasy genre (so more sorcery than wuxia) or space-age HSDS (warring planets and ZWJ as an ace spaceship pilot.)

The possibilities are only limited by imagination and good writing.

I like FanFiction too but if you go too far your characters won’t be recognizable and you are just writing original story and not a fan fiction. I really feel like we are approaching that point with some of the characters in this adoption and that’s why people are so upset. If this is just a regular show no one would complain about what’s happening and they would probably all say hey this is pretty good, but because this is supposed to be HSDSS, it’s a bit of a bait and switch. 

I mean i am I definitely do enjoy the show and that’s why I am here, but I definitely understands the critique.

Tq. My husband help me make the video. Sorry late reply. Im silence reader for years. Lol.

For tonight ep, i feel a little anticlimax already. Hm gonna feel lonely after the show end. :(

On 4/8/2019 at 4:13 AM, Yitian_fan said:

Nice job Rinmei, I like this even better than the other MV's I've seen because you took your time with the really cute scenes... the shoulder one, the little hand holding (where you can see Joseph's fingers twitch as if he would like to hold her hand back but is just too shocked or shy!) :)  Also the just-a-little-too-slow action of putting back ZM's sock.... and the series of suppressed giggles that ZM has had to swallow at ZWJ's adorable naivete.  It's just too cute! Thank you!

• Like 1

Ok, that was a disappointing episodes I've got lots of problem with it

Eps 47

Spoiler

ZR-WJ fight probably the highlight for me especially when they were using nei gong in sync to push the 3 monks back

There is no fighting at all between ZR and yellow lady like bloody hell that was so disappointing. I was waiting for so long to see complete and incomplete jiu yin manual fighting each other. ZR lose and she got warning or something from the yellow lady to learn jiu yin properly not the short cut if she truly wants to glorify Er Mei or whatever. But nothing, the yellow lady just came and went like wth

YYW just die like that no build up at all just dead, I know he's just being used as reason to create friction between WJ and his Ming members which I don't know just do not sit well with me.

Eps 48

Spoiler

My biggest problem with this episode is the stupid ZM faking death it goes something like

1. WJ try to find her in the morning couldn't find her, and if you see the background chair and tables they all looked fine

2. FY told him XX might know her whereabouts, so they went there

3. ZM in the forest kidnapped by Xuanming elders, going to be killed by her dad

4. Back to shaolin somehow they all know ZM is gone

5. Fight Yuan army got bombed to death

6. Retreat to shaolin, ZR somehow knows that ZM got kidnapped by xuanming elders, ZM got killed and her body got eaten by animals(???)

7. WJ goes back to the same room somehow suddenly there's her hairpin on the floor and all the chair is messed up. Like the f***(???)

How could the same room on the same day that looked fine suddenly there's evidence of struggle all over?

How does ZZR knows what happen? Is it a trick by FY and ZZR? FY and RYW?

Do everybody just saw that ZM got dragged by Xuanming elders and did nothing?(wth?!)

Wait is it a plan by ZM and FY? WBB and ZM? WBB and FY? WBB only?

If FY or ZM did it, mate, you have the worst plan ever

But even still How did ZZR knows?

And really they way just kill everybody left and right just does not resonate with me, like am I suppose to care? because I really don't, the only one I was almost shocked when Zhou Dian almost got speared, but then I remember he was in the preview of last episode, all tension gone. They got nice song though when they were dying

All these episodes just make me miss YX, he's totally the better advisor(might regret this statement soon), I love him , can we get him back soon:bawling:

Edited by kur4p1k4
I added some more questions
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Yitian_fan said:

Oh boy! Just watched it... and ok, it's totally artificial, but as it turns out I'm a ZWJ-angst sucker... teared up listening to ZWJ's lines! :bawling:

Here's the translation for those who want to know what he says

Hide contents

Minmin you often laugh at me for being stupid, for not being a real general. The military tactics book in Yitian is meant to be a brilliant text, yet even with that Guo Jing and his wife gave their lives to the country, how could I hope to do different?

Minmin, if you were still here with me, you would teach me what to do wouldn't you?  No, no you wouldn't, of course you wouldn't want to see me fight your father.

Minmin, wouldn't you scold me?  All I did was get lucky and learnt some wugong, but military tactics are beyond me

You're right. I am an idiot through and through.  What did I think I was I doing leading an army into battle?  In the end I couldn't defend even you!

Don't worry, when I've done what I need to do, I'll come and keep you company. I wouldn't let you be alone anymore... wait for me.

Ok, try to rewatch the video, listen to the beautiful music, realize this is what Wuji is saying and I DARE you not to cry! 

I totally get it that FY was super frustrated ("Without your order, no one will listen to anyone else, and we're in complete disarray!") and this is just one more nail in the coffin of why-ZWJ-wouldn't-make-a-great-leader. 

Because he's too wonderfully feeling a person.

[Off to go blow my nose and wash my face... ]

Holy Moly. This is heart-breaking. Thanks for the sub. This is going to mess up my day. My poor WJ-ZM babies.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Ok, that was a disappointing episodes I've got lots of problem with it

Eps 47

Reveal hidden contents

ZR-WJ fight probably the highlight for me especially when they were using nei gong in sync to push the 3 monks back

There is no fighting at all between ZR and yellow lady like bloody hell that was so disappointing. I was waiting for so long to see complete and incomplete jiu yin manual fighting each other. ZR lose and she got warning or something from the yellow lady to learn jiu yin properly not the short cut if she truly wants to glorify Er Mei or whatever. But nothing, the yellow lady just came and went like wth

YYW just die like that no build up at all just dead, I know he's just being used as reason to create friction between WJ and his Ming members which I don't know just do not sit well with me.

Eps 48

Reveal hidden contents

My biggest problem with this episode is the stupid ZM faking death it goes something like

1. WJ try to find her in the morning couldn't find her, and if you see the background chair and tables they all looked fine

2. FY told him XX might know her whereabouts, so they went there

3. ZM in the forest kidnapped by Xuanming elders, going to be killed by her dad

4. Back to shaolin somehow they all know ZM is gone

5. Fight Yuan army got bombed to death

6. Retreat to shaolin, ZR somehow knows that ZM got kidnapped by xuanming elders, ZM got killed and her body got eaten by animals(???)

7. WJ goes back to the same room somehow suddenly there's her hairpin on the floor and all the chair is messed up. Like the f***(???)

How could the same room on the same day that looked fine suddenly there's evidence of struggle all over?

How does ZZR knows what happen? Is it a trick by FY and ZZR? FY and RYW?

Do everybody just saw that ZM got dragged by Xuanming elders and did nothing?(wth?!)

Wait is it a plan by ZM and FY? WBB and ZM? WBB and FY? WBB only?

If FY or ZM did it, mate, you have the worst plan ever

But even still How did ZZR knows?

And really they way just kill everybody left and right just does not resonate with me, like am I suppose to care? because I really don't, the only one I was almost shocked when Zhou Dian almost got speared, but then I remember he was in the preview of last episode, all tension gone. They got nice song though when they were dying

All these episodes just make me miss YX, he's totally the better advisor(might regret this statement soon), I love him , can we get him back soon:bawling:

Apparently, ZZR said she heard the news from a dead soldier...

Agree that there were so many loopholes in today’s episodes. *sigh*  But I thought it was sweet that he's so protective of MM, it's the first time in the entire series that I've seen WJ yell at anyone

69ec3855gy1g208jqotqag20o00diqv6.gif

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, achng said:

Apparently, ZZR said she heard the news from a dead soldier...

Agree that there were so many loopholes in today’s episodes. *sigh*  But I thought it was sweet that he's so protective of MM, it's the first time in the entire series that I've seen WJ yell at anyone

69ec3855gy1g208jqotqag20o00diqv6.gif

Yes, agreed here. He so protective MinMin because he know that MinMin did a lot for him. I'm glad he stood up for MinMin. 

6 hours ago, LaurenPanna said:

i like the sentence that he said "After I finished my duty, I'll be with you so you will no longer be lonely" ah, so touchy..

• Like 1

I don't even understand what they are saying but this last two eps was definitely a let down. Im bummed. I was waiting for the fighting scene with the yellow lady and ZZR but it was nonexistent. They also wasted several unnecessary scenes. :( Now we have to wait a whole week for the last two eps, even more bummed. Ill just rewatch the good stuff.

Today episodes are kinda mess, but I admit i cried a lot. 

Poor WJ, those people around him want him to do this and that, but no one care how sad he would be loosing his love one. Everybody decides on his behave what is good or bad and how to deal with the good and the bad. They even insult the woman he bring back to their place not hiding he is dearing her.

He IS the leader after all. 

How dare them be.

WJ’s weakness is he cares for everyone, but with ZM faking death i feel like he is being manipulated  and used. Ep 47-48 make him look so dumb.

Wait for the 2 final episodes. Hope they will not disappoint us.

Edited by khampoi
  • Like 2