[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

1 minute ago, quynie said:

Yeah, I was not sure of that part. Was she really waiting for a wave to have the accident? Why was she sitting in front of him?

I think she just want to tease him. The wave just accident happened at the same time. 

19 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

I see the Cfans are very angry that the scriptwriter give the scene of the return of wu mu yi shu part to ZZR which was originally belong to ZM. Am equally angry as them

Is that in the book?

I thought the 86' version also has ZZR giving it to ZWJ? It's been a long time since I watched it.

4 hours ago, bluesky888 said:

I wish they can just squeeze the last 2 eps into this week. I guess we have to wait again for next Wednesday to see the end.

Yup, we'll be waiting another week.  Eps 49 and 50 will be released on April 17 for VIP members.

007lkEdgly1g1hgg2qwyoj30u03qgnej.jpg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Is that in the book?

I thought the 86' version also has ZZR giving it to ZWJ? It's been a long time since I watched it.

Yes, In 86' version it's also zzr who gave the book to zwj. The book belong to yue fei warrior, guo jing and huang rong  passed it to their son but their son got killed at xiangyang and the book got lost. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hamaji said:

Yes. In 86' version it's also zzr who gave the book to zwj. The book belong to yue fei warrior, guo jing and huang rong  passed it to their son but their son got killed at xiangyang and the book got lost. 

First HSDS I know is the '86 version, never read the book. So I'm not too angry that they don't follow the book completely as long as it make sense for the characters in this adaptation to do what they do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaurenPanna said:

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4359242720888005

I really like this fanmade MV!! 

Love this too!  The c-fans really are rocking the MV's as well (in addition to our very own Indonesian-fan who share his/her MV here!)

Best thing about this is that it starts giving you all the angst, but then sweetens it to show the smiles... both Joseph and Yukee have these big expressive eyes that give you shivers about ZWJ/ZM when they glance-smile at each other. I particularly like it that Joseph goes for the soft-shy smiles and Yukee the confident-brass smiles... not only is it moving and so in-character for both ZWJ and ZM, I'm also excited by this type of gender-stereotype-reversing  celebration which is long overdue in Wuxia! :)

@achng, yes! I've seen that clip and I'll translate the last 3 lines for everyone here

"As long as (for one more day) he's not ZZR's man, then he is my/Zhaomin's man, because I insist*."

Her use of "pian1 yao4 mian2 qiang3" for "insist" is nuanced- it implies it is in defiance of the rest of the world. And even has an element of unreasonableness to her rebellion. :) My favorite kind of bu4 jiang2 li3 (unreasonable/illogical) :wub:

I'm ok with this going on one more week: "Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow" :)

Oh and speaking of Romeo and Juliet, some witty c-fan is calling this the "Ji-meo and Min-ette" part of the story ;)  Ok, who's up for writing the fanfic of HSDS cross over with Romeo and Juliet?  Set it in Ancient China, mix politics in with the famous balcony scene, have Juliette be the princess who seduces Romeo at the masquerade dance and Romeo be hopelessly captivated by her but torn by his family obligations, make the death of Tybalt a great battle scene, and throw in escape to Snake Island with Romeo's groupies into the story?? Oh yeah, please also change the ending as a ploy by Juliette to elope with Romeo!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that the drama has passed the 4.5 billions mark and counting, I'm confident it will reach 5 billions -- and perhaps even more -- by the end of its running. Cool! I'm sooo happy for all the cast (especially my love Lin Yushen :wub:) and crew. It's unfortunate that netizens just impulsively gave bad rating on douban based on the first several episodes, but we can see it has climbed from 5 in the beginning to currently 5.7 -- which ain't easy at all! I'm hoping for a rating miracle like Ever Night or Rise of the Phoenixes which jumped into the 7's and the 8's respectively after great words-to-mouth.  I haven't checked the douban conversation for a long while to guess whether changes in the drama (from the book) will affect the rating in the end. I'm enjoying this version enough to care too much about douban rating, but it'll be cool if it can be on par with LOCH 2017 since both came from the same director and (I suspect) same crew.

BTW, I'm going to be against the tide here that I don't find Chen Yuqi impressive. I think her portrayal of Zhao Min is quite bland, and she's not as natural as, say, Joseph and Bambi. But I'm not a Zhao Min fan from the beginning, so perhaps any actress in that role must be more "forceful" to get my attention, LOL. OK, y'all can kill me now before continuing your discussion about ZWJ-ZM lovey dovey moments :D:D (sorry to say again, the thread IMO has turned into a romance-focused conversation). 

• LOL 2

Just to say that Joseph is getting a good amount of web recognition for his role here (I'd go as far as to call this his break-through role in the industry at least to-date) you'll see he's just below Zhu Yilong and above Zanilla Zhao Liying in the ranks over the last week:

http://www.dramapanda.com/2019/04/c-drama-ratings-and-celeb-rankings-week_8.html

I'm also excited that Yukee is just 2 places behind him.

So well deserved for both our hard-working leads! :) 

PS Did someone post here that Yukee liked Gigi Lai's ZM?!  It shows!  Her ZM also has this the-devil-may-care-what-the-world-thinks flair!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, caranita said:

Now that the drama has passed the 4.5 billions mark and counting, I'm confident it will reach 5 billions -- and perhaps even more -- by the end of its running. Cool! I'm sooo happy for all the cast (especially my love Lin Yushen :wub:) and crew. It's unfortunate that netizens just impulsively gave bad rating on douban based on the first several episodes, but we can see it has climbed from 5 in the beginning to currently 5.7 -- which ain't easy at all! I'm hoping for a rating miracle like Ever Night or Rise of the Phoenixes which jumped into the 7's and the 8's respectively after great words-to-mouth.  I haven't checked the douban conversation for a long while to guess whether changes in the drama (from the book) will affect the rating in the end. I'm enjoying this version enough to care too much about douban rating, but it'll be cool if it can be on par with LOCH 2017 since both came from the same director and (I suspect) same crew.

Is it amazing to have 5 billions view for a webdrama in China? I'm not too sure how Chinese ratings works since usually I think if it's on TV wouldn't it be more prestigious?

12 minutes ago, caranita said:

BTW, I'm going to be against the tide here that I don't find Chen Yuqi impressive. I think her portrayal of Zhao Min is quite bland, and she's not as natural as, say, Joseph and Bambi. But I'm not a Zhao Min fan from the beginning, so perhaps any actress in that role must be more "forceful" to get my attention, LOL. OK, y'all can kill me now before continuing your discussion about ZWJ-ZM lovey dovey moments :D:D (sorry to say again, the thread IMO has turned into a romance-focused conversation). 

All good mate ;) I think it's just all the ZM fans has been frustrated with WJ's attitude since 5 episodes back and the wedding episode is tonight lol. Anticipation is through the roof:lol:

4 minutes ago, caranita said:

LOL. OK, y'all can kill me now before continuing your discussion about ZWJ-ZM lovey dovey moments :D:D (sorry to say again, the thread IMO has turned into a romance-focused conversation). 

Guilty as charged: starry-eyed love-fest in action!

Hahah... why would we kill you? Lots of showering of extra love for the show (the hot Yangxiao and constructive critique included) welcomed here! :) 

I'll try to crawl back to intellectual analyses of this drama once the cute of Joseph's eyes stops short-circuiting my brain. ;) But meantime please feel free to add less silly commentary- silly-fun as well as knowledgeable-cool are all different facets of how people here enjoy the show!

Tieba edit:  In case you're mandarin-enabled, and are interested in less squealing and more intellectual comments I can recommend you some tieba therads. There you can discuss anything from plot loopholes, to comparing fight rankings between the various Jinyong heroes, understanding the true history of the Yuan Dynasty (Wang BaoBao was a real person and quite a hero!) or weigh in on whether Huang Rong or ZM is the brainiest heroine in Jinyong's wuxia universe. There's even analyses on costuming, geography, the Mongolian dynasties etc. really anything you want to discuss! :)  Enjoy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vicious219 said:

That scene was too cute.  I love it when ZM makes ZWJ uncomfortable.  Like when they were on the boat and she just sits in front of him waiting for a wave to rock the boat for "an accident" to happen.

Ha!  I have to say that (probably because of changing social mores) this is the version of HSDS that has the most physically forward Zhaomin of any of them.  She reaches out for his hand twice (at the hotpot and again at Snake Island) and his chin once, and even teases him for blushing. For me perhaps the most touching part is when she strokes his cheek when he is hit by Qingshu's betrayal.  And I'm lovin' it-  

A c-fan said that HSDS was written in the early 1960's and the world has changed immensely since, so it's pretty natural that stories evolve with the times, and although we all respect and love the original in the first place to keep coming back to it, there's no reason to stick to the original 100% just for the sake of holding onto old things. Not to say there's sometimes great reason to stick to the original (i.e., later day writers are sometimes just BAD writers!) but not all change is bad! :)

PS  Because I feel strongly about consent here's the "consent is not optional" speech: We know ZWJ is in on this because we know how this story goes, but want to say that in real life guys/gals of the thread, you'd want more consent than ZWJ has been giving ZM to make moves like she has done.  It actually bothered me at some point that ZM wasn't necessarily responding to WJ's "stop this" fast enough.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Yitian_fan said:

A c-fan said that HSDS was written in the early 1960's and the world has changed immensely since, so it's pretty natural that stories evolve with the times, and although we all respect and love the original in the first place to keep coming back to it, there's no reason to stick to the original 100% just for the sake of holding onto old things. Not to say there's sometimes great reason to stick to the original (i.e., later day writers are sometimes just BAD writers!) but not all change is bad! :)

Ditto. While there are a few things at the end of the novel and past adaptations that were memorable to me and that I hope to see in this one, if they are not there, I won't complain as long as the changes all come together and make sense in the end. I have been pleasantly surprised with the differences so far...some I even like better...so I hope further changes will continue to do so. While I love a good WuXia story - to be honest -  I also love a good love story so I'm actually very happy that this one IMO makes WJ's love and affection for ZM pretty obvious to viewers throughout.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Is it amazing to have 5 billions view for a webdrama in China? I'm not too sure how Chinese ratings works since usually I think if it's on TV wouldn't it be more prestigious?

It's true that it's considered more prestigious airing on TV channel, especially Hunan or maybe CCTV. But TV drama ratings in general are dwindling. Most can count themselves lucky if they get past 1%. Stricter censors have made web dramas more appealing, because the regulations are relatively loose, though it may not be the case anymore. Even web dramas have lower viewership compared to a few years ago. Last year, for instance, the highest view number is 18 billions for Yanxi Palace. It was only a few years ago when dramas could reach as high as 40s billions views (Princess Agents, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms). Zhao Liying was the hottest name because the combined number of her dramas in 3 or 4 consecutive years is around 100 billions. On the other hand, Jin Yong adaptations, because of the constant remakes, often suffer in viewership (although it doesn't stop people from remaking, LOL) and douban rating in recent years. LOCH 2017 was actually a breath of fresh air and considered an awakening of wuxia series quality wise (hence the douban rating of 7.9 to 8.0). I honestly don't know how many web view counts it had, but its TV rating never reached 1%. However, I dare say that 5 billions for a wuxia drama at this age is very decent. Ever Night was considered quite successful getting 5 billions views last year, and it has 60 episodes. So by view count per episode alone, HSDS is relatively more successful in this genre. 

5 hours ago, kur4p1k4 said:

All good mate ;) I think it's just all the ZM fans has been frustrated with WJ's attitude since 5 episodes back and the wedding episode is tonight lol. Anticipation is through the roof:lol:

5 hours ago, Yitian_fan said:

Hahah... why would we kill you? Lots of showering of extra love for the show (the hot Yangxiao and constructive critique included) welcomed here! :) 

Hahaha thank you for the understanding! ;) I see there are also a few YBH Stepmoms here although we're outnumbered by the Wuji-Minmin shippers, and some members hold both cards LOL. 

I'll try to crawl back to intellectual analyses of this drama once the cute of Joseph's eyes stops short-circuiting my brain. ;) But meantime please feel free to add less silly commentary- silly-fun as well as knowledgeable-cool are all different facets of how people here enjoy the show!

Tieba edit:  In case you're mandarin-enabled, and are interested in less squealing and more intellectual comments I can recommend you some tieba therads. There you can discuss anything from plot loopholes, to comparing fight rankings between the various Jinyong heroes, understanding the true history of the Yuan Dynasty (Wang BaoBao was a real person and quite a hero!) or weigh in on whether Huang Rong or ZM is the brainiest heroine in Jinyong's wuxia universe. There's even analyses on costuming, geography, the Mongolian dynasties etc. really anything you want to discuss! :)  Enjoy!

I'm afraid I'm not even as knowledgeable as many of you here! Because you know, when you guys were discussing the Emei background, analyzing the nature of Wudang, the 9 yin manual, ZZR taking an instant path, or the analysis of ZZR personality and her (lack of) leadership capability -- it was very interesting because most of you are very familiar with the story and well versed in the Condor Trilogy. It's just somehow most prefer to discuss the romantic parts and conversation will turn back again to analyzing love expressions and such heheheh... 

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't speak Mandarin, although of course I can always use Google translation. Tieba forums are sometimes a bit confusing to me, compared to Douban threads, but I agree they cover a lot of things :) 

• Like 1