[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

3 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Yeah, it looks like the excessive slow-mo has been the main issue of viewers, including the Mainlanders. It's too bad if that's really how PD Jeffrey Chiang responded to the criticism. It could've turned some people off. Is anyone in Weibo, and how do people react to that?

On the other hand, I sort of understand what he meant. I recently got back to episode 1 as someone just voluntarily subbed it, and uploaded it in 1080. I can see more details of the choreography and I think they're quite amazing, such as 

Spoiler

the one with the water wheel and ZCS fight with the Shaolin monks.

It would've been heaps better if the slow-mos were limited to a few fighting scenes which he wanted to highlight, or just to give effect. I must admit that after being spoiled by Ever Night's fabulous fightings, I want other wuxia dramas to use similar approach, i.e. make them fast moving and more hand-to-hand (or sword-to-sword) combat please! 

Based on his track record with LoCH, I expect the slow-mo to be much toned down in the forthcoming episodes. Other than that, I'm liking what I've seen so far. 

• Like 4

So far I have watched until episode 12 and still loving it!! I kinda get used to the slow motion actions so that doesn't bother me anymore, at least not as bad as when I first started watching haha. 

So far I am still very impressed with the details that this version included. The sceneries and the cinematography are quite impressive for a television series for me, especially the scenes when adult wuji first appeared.  I very much like The way the camera moved around the mountain and the music. I personally feel this is quite a high quality production, at least for me. 

Spoiler

Regarding the details included,  one example was when Yangxiao fought the couple in episode 12 before Wuji and Buhui introduced themselves. In the previous versions,  if memory served me correctly, I didn't really see this couple (I forgot from which sect these characters were) whipped out their sword fighting abilities. These characters  were really just blend in the background before.  However, in here, at least the series show that they used their couple fighting techniques against yangxiao.  Just thought it is a nice addition to details. 

Also very like that Wuji really identified himself as Wudang disciples, and still remembered what his uncles and grand sifu taught him. In many of the versions, Wudang and Wuji didn't seem to have that much bond so it's nice to see a deeper bond and loyalty from Wuji to the sect and the people that had contributed to his safety and supported his development after the tragic deaths of his parents.

I Am not sure if I got this correctly,  but judging from the screenshots of the director's  weibo posted here,  seems like the actor and the director were onboard with improving the wuxia element (and I am quite surprised with the one included in the jaynestar articles since the tone seem different.  Is the statement included in the article the earlier one?

Going with the translated weibo post from thw director, it is great news that the director express his positive response to criticisms as the weibo posts screenshot indicated. 

I personally feel it is better that the slow motion is reduced tremendously (and I am crossing my fingers following the translated  weibo post from the director on 2 March (if I got the date correct) that was posted by epinklyn (thank you for the screenshots!! :star:), although I am also sceptical whether they have enough time to ensure qualities if they go back to the editing process at this stage.  Crossing my fingers for the best!! 

Also for me personally (personal opinion folks), martial arts elements in the wuxia series were important but there are also other important aspects to ensure a good tv series. This is the case For me of this HSDS,  wuxia elements were somewhat lacking (although for me still quite good honestly),  but there are other good points that tipped the scale for me, especially after I watched more episodes. Good thing that this doesn't take 30+ episodes or so to be more interesting for me,  but has grabbed my attention since as early as episode 1 :blush:. Now i am cautiously hopeful for my favorite character Zhao Min to appear.  Her character is quite hard to portray so very cautiously hopeful here.   

My personal opinion here all. No ill intention whatsoever. Looking forward for more episodes to come:love:

• Like 2

This adaptation does a really good job of establishing and building the relationships in these early days. It doesn't miss any of the emotional beats in its storytelling. One of my favourite sequences so far in this series has got to be Wuji's early days in Wudang. It was such a moving montage watching the bonding and the affection that was showered on this newly orphaned kid. The love and the care. Ack! I'm going to start crying again.  The foundational material IMO does an excellent job showing why Wuji turns out to be the sort of man he is. I know he's often accused of being wishy washy and a soft touch but all the qualities that make him who he is are formed in those early years being a child of his father, his mother and his godfather, living on a secluded island... and of course when he witnesses first hand the schisms and horrors of the wulin world the moment he returns. To me at least it is always clear who Wuji really prefers from his travelling harem especially when considering his background/history. ;) 

Even in these early days it's clear that the delineation between the "righteous/orthodox" sects and the "demon" ones is a very fine one. The Tu Long sabre is the One Ring that brings out the worst in everyone and the search for it leaves destruction in its wake. The blindness of the so-called righteous sects to their own arrogance leads them to commit all kinds of acts in the name of "righteousness". The complexity in the martial arts community certainly doesn't lend itself to such easy designations.

It's one of the reasons why YTTLJ is a perpetual favourite.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Who is the actor who plays Yang Xiao? Oh my... he's pretty hot stuff... more so with facial hair. :wub:  好帅. Good actor. It might be too early to pick a favourite but he's the front runner at the moment. Although Little Wuji was quite delightful in his own way.

Yup! Between hitting the books, I've managed to marathon 12 episodes in 2 days. Very naughty of me but this is turning out to be a really really good adaptation. :D It's not without its issues but the storytelling is spot on. 

A question occurred to me half way through my viewing: Why doesn't Wuji ever meet boys in his travels? Everywhere he goes, he runs into girls or families with girls. Heh.  

I should really be studying. ;)

Ah... I looked it up. The actor who plays Yang Xiao is Lin Shen and apparently he was nominated for an Emmy for another gig in the past.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, zYue said:

Which days of the week and time does the show broadcast in China? Getting impatient for the new episodes!!!!!

They broadcast the show at 20:00 every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in China.

0070naZily1g0kspz7z3lj30u03qg7lj.jpg

• Like 2

After watching  ep 13-14, I think they tone down the slo-mo (either that is the case or I have gotten used to it by now haha :sweatingbullets:, but I'm leaning more toward the former than the later ).

Really am loving this version so far:wub:. Especially how the characters are more fleshed out, even the minor and "hated" characters. It makes me become more emotionally invested in the story and the fates of the characters.:rolleyes:

Edited by arniechow
  • Like 4

On 3/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, Don Yu said:

Anyone? Please, that's a beautiful song I like to listen more on it's own.

Song tittle is:  此生惟你

Singer is : 周深 (Zhou shen).

Very calming and beautiful song

• Thanks 1

Watched 13 and 14, and agreed that it seems slo mo is toned down. Awesome if it's indeed true , but if not then.. still love this :lol:

Spoiler
This version has the best settings for me. The special effects still impressive for a tv series, and i am loving the scenery. Kudos for the production team.

I am echoing what has been expressed before, i am loooving the details included in this version. All of these details make the version feel fresher, instead of just another remake. :thumbsup:

The flashbacks to when Qingshu was a little boy.  It kinda make it more understandable why he ends up despising Wuji or if he becomes bratty like that: he has been living under the shadow of Wuji even when he's a little boy. In his young  mind,  his father, uncles,  his grand sifu, and even his new friend all focus too much on Wuji. Not saying it's acceptable but make me feel kinda sympathetic to him . He mentioned to little Zhiruo in the flashback scene that Wuji lost his dad but he got 6 dads from the Wudang uncles (if i understand correctly considering my limited mandarin language skill ). It's somewhat heartwarming to hear how the uncles really love Wuji and I am sure they actually love Qingshu deeply as well. Preparing for heartbreaks when Qingshu eventually went astray and betrayed his own families.:bawling:

Wudang uncles were really nice too, including to little Zhiruo. Also, guess Mo Shenggu really well known for his skill in making grasshopper from leaves :lol:

This version of mie jue shitai is much more motherly toward her disciples while still displaying that scary traits :sweat_smile:. I am also loving Song Yuanqiao and the rest Wudang heroes.  (guess I've mentioned that quite several times :tounge_wink:haha)

Loving this version Wuji as well, especially his carefree attitudes at the beginning. Perfect casting for me 

Cannot wait for more episodes 

Love the songs soooo much :love:

Been listening to the songs in loop,  especially the ending song by Hu Xia and the one from Zhou Shen. 

I really like a line in the ending song by Hu Xia,  which basically translated to mean that the "I" in the song is willing to drop his/her name to give the "you" some peace of mind (hopefully this translation is quite close even if it's not accurate as I relied on google translate and my limited understanding of some Mandarin characters :sweat_smile: . Hope someone will translate the gems here or in youtube:star:). For me this resonate so deeply with Zhao Min and Zhang Wuji. In the story,  they were basically at the forefront of the two sides that were fighting against each other. I would feel that there would be no way they can be together peacefully if they keep their positions/identities. 

Spoiler

In the story and previous adaptations, they started as enemies but eventually ZM gave up her title as a princess and even left her old life while Wuji also gave up his position as the leader of the Ming sect and a chance perhaps to be the new emperor once they defeated the reigning dynasty (her Dynasty).  Hence this line in the song really match their situation where they drop everything and retire together to give each other peaceful life. :wub:

Too sweet!!  

Now waiting for ZM, although The best ZM is still Gigi Lai from 2000 version by TVB, and so far none has surpassed her version of ZM yet for me (although I quite like Ady An in 2009 and Kitty Lai in 1986 versions as well). Crossing my fingers now 

My personal opinions folks. Apologize if there's any mistake anywhere.  

Peace all:grin:

• Like 8

Agree with the comments above, though I think Ady An is the most good looking Ziao Min and I liked her version.. her potential wasn’t maximized by the story or production from 2009 ver. In fact I feel like 2003 version had a better romantic chemistry overall.

2019 version so far has put a lot of emphasis on story telling and character development that was somewhat neglected in the past. They did a great job making me care about characters that I didn’t before such as Yang Xiao (left ambassador), Miejue (Merciless Nun), her disciples, and even Xue Er (Spider wifu). In recent episodes with the introduction of Xue Er (Yun Li) she seems less bratty and more likeable and relatable. Previous versions her character felt annoying and her small acts of kindness (bringing food to Wuji, avenging him) felt like it was just there to drive the plot. This version the actress is more believable. She’s not the best looking actress (and doesn’t have to be), but her character portrayal feels genuine.

Zhou Xi Ruo looks beautiful compared to previous versions where I felt was miscasted in 2009. I would argue current version Zhou Xi Ruo is better looking than Zhao Min, which wasn’t the case in most previous versions of HSDS. Not only is she likeable and easy to sympathize with, you can easily root for her after seeing what she went through, not only with the death of her family, but also the bullying from her fellow disciples (Ding girl). She didn’t want to beat up Ding girl too badly because she’s the senior disciple and would lose face in front of fellow students.

There are countless examples like this of bits and pieces of character development and world building that was skimmed over or completely skipped in past versions. They did a great job and it’s no surprise considering they did great with Romance of the Condor Heroes 2014 and Legend of Condor Heroes 2017.

So far really enjoying 2019 

Edited by Linc Ng
  • Like 3

Character development and dynamics is undoubtedly the primary strength of this version.

I find it fascinating that even in these early days (Episode 14 in particular) that one is able to see the seeds planted in Zhiruo's life that takes her down the slippery slope later on. On the surface she has all the makings of a Mary Sue but her eagerness to please... especially with regards to her superiors becomes IMO her undoing. It's a gradual undoing... little by little... from the small decisions to the larger ones. Maybe it's because she wants to be liked by everyone and fears rocking the boat. I personally find her obsequiousness more cringey than endearing. 

I've always thought even from the other adaptations that I've seen, that Zhiruo's primary issue isn't that she was outright bad but that she was malleable... she's putty in the hands of the Er Mei leader. Incidentally, this version of Miejue isn't outright unlikeable but she maintains a self-righteous streak that has its own kind of poison. It isn't that she's unfailingly strict that's her downfall but that she's rigid (and simplistic) about how she views the world and people. She may be a great martial artist in her own right but her grooming methods leave much to be desired. Her pride and ambition to gain glory for Er Mei blinds her to her own flaws. I don't disagree that the Disciple-Sister needs to be taken down a peg or two but I don't believe in outright humiliation either.

This sets Zhiruo up for how her relationship pans out with Wuji. Her struggle to be loyal to the ethos of Er Mei and her Teacher puts her at odds with where Wuji is going and where his heart is. I find it refreshing though that a childhood connection doesn't necessarily mean that two people are destined to be together.

By the way, the kid that plays Qingshu is not bad to look at! Even if the second half of this series turns into a bit of a disaster, there's always eye candy to fall back on!

• Like 5

Up to ep 15, I'm echoing what most people say here. I love that this version tries to portray the characters more towards grey-ish, especially the villains, but also the protagonists. The fact that they spend time in the earlier episodes to flesh out characters and add some background stories makes me ponder upon things that I didn't in the previous adaptations (I admit that I haven't seen most of them).

Spoiler

For instance, when Yin Susu committed suicide, at first I thought how selfish she was, leaving her only son alone. At that tender age, little Wu Ji had seen some of the worst actions without preparations, for he'd been sheltered since his birth. But then it occurred to me that her decision might not be as impulsive as seen. She might have thought that it would be better to leave Wu Ji in the care of the Wudang clan. She would be a liability and a danger to both of them. But Wu Ji will always have people who would protect him at all costs. Be them the Wudangs or the Heavenly Eagle clan. 

I can't add more to the praises to the child actors. Toddler Wu Ji and grade-school age Wu Ji are all fantastic and give layered performance. Little Zhou Zhiruo is very natural too.  They are all very talented, but I must also give some credit to PD Jiang, or whoever handled them for the filming.  If there were a complaint from me, it was actually related to how teen/adult Wu Ji is portrayed. Child Wu Jis feel much more mature than their actual age, but teen/adult Wu Ji acts like the teen he is. I'm not sure if it's how the director wants it or Joseph Zeng's interpretation. I also feel Joseph's acting is less consistent than his child counterparts, but he only appears in the last 4 episodes, so I'm actually quite hopeful for the next episodes. 

The cinematography is excellent (almost to the level of Tribes & Empires) and in general I like the camera work, although I wish they'd reduce the wide-to-focused angles and the "frozen" position in the fighting scenes, which is too anime-ish IMO. But I notice they've tone down the slow-mo, which is good. 

• Like 6