[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

Hahaha... I read somewhere that the comment Yuqi made on the lipstick was when going through security at the airport (she had forgotten to put a lipstick into the scanner and she found it when the metal detector went off, a fan overheard her saying that "ZWJ gave me that." I assume as a joke. ;) )

_But_ that doesn't preclude us using that in fanfiction and speculating on the significance of that comment! 

Nice to see interest here still- I might add as encouragement that funnily Lofter has a hard core group that is _still_ churning out dozens of new chapters across as many fanfics daily.  They're even getting creative (more creative) in terms of having fanfics within fanfics (where characters write or blog about fanfics) and other crazy ideas.  Mandarin readers you should check those out!

Happy weekend all!

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 9:50 PM, Sisca_TVXQ said:

I was wondering if you guys know about the differences from Singapore version and Malaysia version since Singapore version is usually more pricier :sweatingbullets:

I would be more careful with Malaysia version, even though I only have experience with anime blu-ray/dvd, but they have a higher chance to be bootleg, even the one with Malay government certified sticker can still be bootleg, my friend bought one when they were on holiday, it got govt sticker that's why he thought it was legit, but the quality sucks, and it was obvious they rip it from Crunchyroll. So if it's not a store that you're familiar with I wouldn't recommend it, but again this is anime and it was a couple of years ago, maybe they got better, I cannot guarantee.

Singapore usually more strict about bootleg so usually you can trust them more when you buy it from them, but again be mindful if you're not familiar with the store, it can still be bootleg.

• Insightful 1

9 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

@kur4p1k4

I always buy mine from Myspeedy store, but now its all closed? So I recently start buying the Singapore version from Poh kim store. Thanks for the information :thumbsup:

When you receive yours, please give a review of it. I want to buy it but it's too expensive so I bought the Malaysia version on eBay. I want to see if the subtitles are good and if the quality is HD. Please let me know if  yours has good subtitles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, polar15 said:

So they sell the same as broadcast in TV ?? Not the " uncut" one. Why?? :sweatingbullets:. I probably will buy if it is the uncut version. 

That’s what Chinese fans have been campaigning for the uncut version to be released, even as DVD.  But no luck so far. Nobody knows why. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sophiesyc said:

That’s what Chinese fans have been campaigning for the uncut version to be released, even as DVD.  But no luck so far. Nobody knows why. 

I've made my peace with not getting the uncut version. This show made me fall in love with it using only 50 episodes. It's done. If one day I see some scenes that I haven't seen before -- great! But if not, I'm not going to be upset. It is, after all, still my favourite ZWJ thus far. And my favourite YX. And the prettiest ZM.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hiiiiii! Hope everyone is well!

Just leaving this here as I have been a terrible updater. I've recently started rewatching the series again in Viet Dub and have been inspired anew now that work has slowed a bit. :)

zIfncmH.jpg

Title: Fortunately

Chapter 9:

妳便是我 命運安排的人

You are the one fate has arranged for me.

--

She is silent as their affixed eyes linger, the all-consuming vibration in the air sending chills down Wu Ji’s back. The amount of love he feels for her, the longing of the past few years conveyed through the gaze he holds.

Wu Ji wants to fully give in to the urge of pulling her into him, wrapping his entire body around her to protect Zhao Min from any pain or harm that may come.

But not like this. Not in front of her father and not before he can fully repent.

Wu Ji wants to do this right. 

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/18594964/chapters/46008892

• Like 2

17 hours ago, psksvp said:

Hi @deminni , @LaurenPanna 

I wonder where can I read your hsds fanfic? Is it in English?  I have written one as well. So I am interested in reading others. My fanfic can be found here  https://github.com/psksvp/hsdsMe. It is in English. If you read it, please let me know if you hate it. :)  

On The Grassland is a continuing story from the end of JinYong’s novel; The Heavenly Sword And Dagon Saber.

psksvp

Hi! I didn't see anyone reply to you so I figure I'll help.

@deminni's Fanfiction page is here: https://archiveofourown.org/users/deminni/pseuds/deminni
@LaurenPanna's Fanfiction page is here: https://archiveofourown.org/users/LaurenPanna/pseuds/LaurenPanna

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

A review of the DVD set I bought from eBay, the one from Malaysia, licensed TVB.

• It's not High Definition. Even if the box says filmed in HD, the quality of the video itself is Standard Definition.
  • PAL— will not work on NTSC TVs or DVD players.
  • Audio is both Cantonese and Mandarin. But Cantonese is default, so you gotta switch it to Mandarin at the beginning of playback of the disc (just once at the beginning, and not per episode).
  • Video is Hong Kong's cut, and not Tencent's cut, so you get that extra kick from Zhao Min but lose her smile when he falls down the trap. You also get a few more shots of the fight between Zhang Wuji and Fan Yao as well as the lines "Give me a sword", followed by Zhang Wuji saying, "Give it to him" before Yang Xiao gives Fan Yao the sword (I know that matters to some people). The fight looks better overall. (Btw, rewatching that fight, Wuji looks so pretty, LOL. He's a very beautiful looking boy).
  • The opening theme song is the Hong Kong cantonese version. It's a nice song, but I much prefer the mandarin song Daojian Rumeng (刀劍如夢; A life of fighting is but a dream) performed by Wakin Chau because that's how I first watched it. Alas, I'll have to settle for imagining it in my own head when I watch the episodes, or I fast-forward the opening.
  • The ending theme song is, of course, the Hong Kong cantonese song. Whatever title that is. Somebody else can look it up.
  • 5 episodes per disc, and they skip the opening theme and ending credits for most episodes. The first episode in the disc gets the opening theme and the fifth episode of the disc gets to keep the ending credits. I don't know why--to save space?
  • Thankfully, the English subtitles are decent. They translate the poetry, the martial arts lingo, the names of people are traditional mandarin pinyin, so you'll see "Zhang Wuji" and not "Cheung Mo-gei". The names of objects, places, and martial arts is English, where it's relevant. For example, you get Reverend (English) Jueyuan (pinyin) and Nine Yang Divine Skill (English), which is exactly how I prefer to read my subtitles. I have a hard time remembering everything if it's written "Jiuyang Zhenjing" etc. Well, that example is rather easy but it gets more difficult when the titles get longer, like "Hùn yuán pīlì shǒu Chéng Kūn". Like geez, give me something I can pronounce. But like I said, these are decent English subtitles.

That's all, I think. I skimmed through the dvds, without really watching the episodes so I can't comment on how consistent the English subtitles are with terminology. For example, I don't know if at one moment it says "master" and then the next it's going to say "shifu". It could--I'm saying I don't know. One of my pet peeves is inconsistency, so I really hope whatever term they use, they stick to it throughout the whole show.

Now I really wonder if I would have gotten the original opening theme song if I bought the Singapore box set version. Hope somebody out there could enlighten me, if you happen to purchase that one.

Edit: I just realized maybe my idea of SD is different from everyone else's. Perhaps my eyes are so used to HD that anything less looks SD, I'm not sure. I just know that this doesn't have crisp, clear lines like a blu-ray dvd. I really think it's just SD.

file?dl=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/13/2019 at 2:54 AM, kimmortal said:

Now I really wonder if I would have gotten the original opening theme song if I bought the Singapore box set version. Hope somebody out there could enlighten me, if you happen to purchase that one.

Hi, I just bought the Singapore version and I think the contents is mostly the same. Its also 50 eps, Canto and mandarin audio, the subtitles is decent but there is some off translation that bug me like Call me 'Hao Jiejie' they translated it as 'My lady' :sweatingbullets: and Gongzi /Young lord as Master. But I think the quality is HD, the op and ed songs is HK version

20191017-175302.jpg

20191017-175308.jpg

Edited by Sisca_TVXQ

**** WARNING: THIS QUESTION CONTAINS A HUGE SPOILER ****

I just finished this 2019 version of HSDS.  I really enjoyed it overall and was really happy to see a happy ending for Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min.  That said, in discussion with family, I found people to be quite divided about the ending.  Specifically, some thought that it wasn't credible that Zhao Min would accept Zhang Wuji after he blew her off after the death of her father and chose "the nation" instead of following her.  Her break-up with him seemed quite final... plus she's a strong and dignified woman.

My understanding is that this ending is unique to the 2019 version of HSDS.  Is anyone aware of an official explanation (from directors, scriptwriters, or cast) as to *why* Zhao Min would forgive Zhang Wuji and accept him at the end?

Edited by PeregrinePC