[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

I finally finished the 2nd edition novel HSDS.

Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

As I was still reading, I kept picturing Joseph and Yukee in their respective roles, but strangely enough, starting from Shaolin Heroes Meet up to the end, I now picture them as completely separate fictional characters.

Book versions of all these people are so drastically different that, by the end, I AM actually very satisfied with how everything turned out. I even like that Wuji shows so much affection by kissing all the ladies or caressing their shoulders/arms.

Actually, I’m a little disappointed that 2019 series becomes so friggin SAD once WJ and MM get together. In the book, once we get to Shaolin so much happens but the series doesn’t show it. In the book, the Yellow Dress Maiden beats and humiliates ZR. ZR’s crimes is exposed to all the heroes once WJ finds the Dragon Sabre and Heaven Sword, it turns out Xie Xun heard everything that happened on Snake island but pretended to play along so as to not arouse ZR’s suspicions since he was still poisoned, Xie Xun drew pictures on the walls of the dungeon where he was imprisoned as his testimony depicting the events of Snake Island, Zhao Min steals the 9 Yin Manual and Book of Wumu from ZR, they reforge sabre but leave sword broken. Finally, the love story. ZR’s crimes are mostly all forgiven because YL is alive and ZR is shown to regret her actions and trying to atone. Jinyong writes a happy ending of sorts because he has ZR help to make YL reveal herself, apologizing to YL, forces WJ to confront and admit his true feelings (thereby playing matchmaker to WJ and MM) and the ladies are even shown to have forgiven each other and become friendly. People don’t seem to like the ending where ZR shows up unexpectedly because WJ still owes her a favor but I actually like it. I think of it as more of a joke. The ladies seem to get along, referring to each other as Zhirou jiejie and Zhao jia meizi. That’s indicative of their respect, which could also mean that they just want WJ to treat them well, and if they end up all being together in order to live happily then so be it. One man, multiple wives. It’s only open-ended on the logistics of how they intend to live, but as for who WJ chooses, he already answered that.

In any case, this was the 2nd edition translation, which I thoroughly enjoyed and I appreciate Jinyong keeping it lighthearted in the end. Yes, MM does leave everything behind to follow WJ. Yes, ZR doesn’t get punished severely but her guilt is something she’ll always carry with her. Yes, WJ is dumb and gets tricked into leaving Ming Cult.

In some ways, I’m sad that 2019 series didn’t do all those things (which was my first confused/shocked feeling after finishing the series), but on the other hand, we got to explore characters that upheld stronger beliefs in their national pride and family values. We got more political strife, more commitment in love, and even a way better ending for YL. Her ending in the book was open-ended because she just wanders off muttering about the WJ in her mind (like, dude! She’s still a lonely girl with a tragic past who doesn’t have any friends or family anymore! Just because she didn’t die doesn’t mean her problems aren’t still there! Are we just going to ignore her? Jinyong did). But in 2019 series she lives with her dad choosing to forget her tragedies, all while giving her blessings to our OTP in her heart. Way better.

In short, I now see the novel as one story and any live action drama as a separate story. I still say that 1986 and 2019 are my favourite series but I also really like the novel.

Thanks for reading my rambling. Now off to continue my rewatch of the show!

• Like 1

@deminni Whoops! Sorry hahaha, bad reading :sweatingbullets:

As an apology let me give you this MV, it's a bit long but the BGM so good and the way they cut it is excellent. 1st half is the re-arrangement about ZM-WJ' story, 2nd half is a summary of their love story

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av52148499

Also found this amazing fanart by Codante in douban

https://www.douban.com/group/topic/140641130/

ZM

cFSCX9Ql.jpg

ZWJ

09un0Kal.jpg

YX

jHKT9Qql.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, PutriSing said:

Thank you for subbing Episode 35. That's one of my favorite and I actually just watched it last night. My husband was going, "haven't you watched this already?" Well, not with the Eng Subtitle. Now, I know what's going on! I love the way WJ looks CONSTANTLY at Min-Min in the episode. That boy is hopelessly in love with her - he probably didn't realize it then. 

Coincidentally I rewatch it too after i subbed... I want to thank vicious219 for helping to upload, to amend the timing and arrange everything properly and nicely. Deeply appreciate. Its a totally different feeling watching with Eng Subtitles. 

I would like to do one more, which episide is the top favourite for every one which has not been subbed yet? 

• Like 3

@kimmortal and to other people that have read the book, can all you explain why WJ still want to marry ZR once he knows about the oath ZR make to MJST not to marry WJ or bad things will happen?

Every time I watch that scene in the 2019 version WJ is like so flippant about it, like mate, your kids are pretty much cursed! Is in the book it got explained better? I already forgot what happened in the 1986 version.

So yeah, please help me understand people!!! :persevere:

37 minutes ago, kur4p1k4 said:

@kimmortal and to other people that have read the book, can all you explain why WJ still want to marry ZR once he knows about the oath ZR make to MJST not to marry WJ or bad things will happen?

Every time I watch that scene in the 2019 version WJ is like so flippant about it, like mate, your kids are pretty much cursed! Is in the book it got explained better? I already forgot what happened in the 1986 version.

I think boys are less critical and mindful of superstition than girls ooops

Or maybe he know he won't consummate 

• LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kur4p1k4 said:

He says it doesn’t count because MJST died while still under the misunderstanding that Ming Cult are evil. If she were still alive she would retract her statements and allow ZR to be with WJ. Book!Wuji is very naive and always tries to see the good side to everyone, to give people the benefit of the doubt, and to believe that good will prevail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaurenPanna said:

I think boys are less critical and mindful of superstition than girls ooops

Or maybe he know he won't consummate 

23 minutes ago, kimmortal said:

He says it doesn’t count because MJST died while still under the misunderstanding that Ming Cult are evil. If she were still alive she would retract her statements and allow ZR to be with WJ. Book!Wuji is very naive and always tries to see the good side to everyone, to give people the benefit of the doubt, and to believe that good will prevail.

Seriously?! Even in the book he also thinks that?

5uCQd7Ct.jpg?1

I really cannot follow WJ logic in this:sweatingbullets:

• LOL 2

3 hours ago, LaurenPanna said:

Coincidentally I rewatch it too after i subbed... I want to thank vicious219 for helping to upload, to amend the timing and arrange everything properly and nicely. Deeply appreciate. Its a totally different feeling watching with Eng Subtitles. 

I would like to do one more, which episide is the top favourite for every one which has not been subbed yet? 

Thank you so much! Can you do 34?

5 hours ago, LaurenPanna said:

34 & 38 :grimace:

Found this interesting poll, when JY passed away last year they put a poll in weibo who is the most unforgettable couple? The poll is still open

http://hk.weibo.com/mkt/2018/jingyong/index/2

4cN7jSg.jpg

I'm actually surprised ZWJ-ZM is the 1st by a huge margin. This poll was taken before the new HSDS comes out

I thought GJ-HR will win since HR was always the fave character by most JY's readers.

Or at least it will be three way between GJ-HR, YG-XLN, ZWJ-ZM.

Definitely not slanted this much towards ZWJ-ZM.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Found this interesting poll, when JY passed away last year they put a poll in weibo who is the most unforgettable couple? The poll is still open

http://hk.weibo.com/mkt/2018/jingyong/index/2

4cN7jSg.jpg

I'm actually surprised ZWJ-ZM is the 1st by a huge margin. This poll was taken before the new HSDS comes out

I thought GJ-HR will win since HR was always the fave character by most JY's readers.

Or at least it will be three way between GJ-HR, YG-XLN, ZWJ-ZM.

Definitely not slanted this much towards ZWJ-ZM.

Nice find @kur4p1k4 although you need a China cell phone number to vote! :(

Alas... but yeah I was fascinated that "favorite book" is Legend of the Condor Heroes (33%, with HSDS only 25%) but unforgettable couple is ZWJ/ZM (52% with GJ/HR at 22%).... so there is a significant segment of people who like Condor Heros best of all the stories, but ZWJ/ZM of all the couples. Interesting!

[Blame Tony Leung, Gigi Lai and the other unforgettable actors/writers/directors who have made the world mad for ZWJ/ZM for so many years!]

@jackieusa Joseph has a new drama?  Do you have any other information? Be fun to see him in modern garb... but I get the feeling I'm going to be growling/barking at his leading ladies for awhile because none of them will be Zhaomin....

• Like 1

@kur4p1k4 thank you kurapika for the information. ZM and ZWJ are indeed the best couple beating all the odds.

I think they are representing most of us people so we can feel the love. 

Imagine you're a man secretly harbors some forbidden desire to a girl which her status is very very high. In this case ZM is a princess while ZWJ just a rebel leader, he's not just a lowly peasant but someone with a death sentence in his name. They are so much different yet the man quickly extinguished even the slightest hope in him in having her. 

But to his surprise, the girl does not give up easily, she keep pushing even only a bit of hope she's more than ready to bet with everything she has although it almost costs her, her life. ZWJ scared to death that ZM could die under pressure from both sides. He keep asking her to go back home and live her splendid life, but she just persistent and his wall of defense just broken down. After that there's no turning back, he went ballistic on the world, and hell yeah he got the girl. It's like a man got his favorite idol/actress/model/princess as wife. 

For us ladies, ZM is the bravest one we could never be. From the moment she got swayed by him, she let herself openly although risking her life on it. She refused to bow down to anyone, she asked everyone to accept her as who she is. She know what she wants and ready to snatch it from everyone although she might face the worst outcome. Even in modern world, we ladies tend to choose the 'safest choice' for man, man in our league. ZM dared to choose ZWJ with his reputations, he is orphan with no wealth, demonic cult leader, womanizer, rebel leader with mysterious personality,  his family and friends scorned her. But she sticked firmly to her choice and she got her man. She believed this man is the one for her and will cherish her as much she cherishes him. How many of us can do or dare the same? I bet not many. In level of braveness, ZM is a dragon and i as a bee look up to in an awe.

ZM and ZWJ are the representation of our craziest, darkest, naughtiest, deepest dream but they made it possible that's why so many people love this couple. 

Sorry for the long post, everytime i visit this forum everyone here inspired me by new POVs and news. 

• Like 9
  • Love 3

51 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

Ok will try my best! 

And i also must start watching the TVB version starting from tonight as my Minmin finally is appearing!!! 

I’m been waiting too for tonight eps. Minmin arrived.

Don't ever watch episode 40 with a tired mind  orz

I wanted to throw everyone especially ZR and Ming sect, except YX, ZSF, YL, YBH and RYW (maybe), inside a volcano.

All of them are ar******, ZM really suffered too much, I just want to hide her and put a blanket on her and give her hot chocolate

Even WJ is insufferable in here

5uCQd7Ct.jpg?1

• LOL 3