[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

0ly40

Even though it's not a romantic drama, I'm still disappointed. At first, I love how the case in each episode reflects our character's own life and how they can learn their own lessons from them. But now, I feel like it's so boring and dragging. 12 eps already, but they're still so slow. After some cute moment, they jump to another case and nothing developed then. And I feel sometimes, BR is a little not warm enough to OR, especially in ep 12. He's just too serious and a little cold. I don't know why. In the scene where they're walking together, I hope their talks more interesting. But no.

4 eps left and I'm a little clueless. :(

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/3/2018 at 10:34 AM, oceluna0801 said:

Even though it's not a romantic drama, I'm still disappointed. At first, I love how the case in each episode reflects our character's own life and how they can learn their own lessons from them. But now, I feel like it's so boring and dragging. 12 eps already, but they're still so slow. After some cute moment, they jump to another case and nothing developed then. And I feel sometimes, BR is a little not warm enough to OR, especially in ep 12. He's just too serious and a little cold. I don't know why. In the scene where they're walking together, I hope their talks more interesting. But no.

4 eps left and I'm a little clueless. :(

I'm disappointed too!

Finally watched with Eng sub. Another great piece of legal anomaly showcased in this episode.

Im Ba Reun, as we know, goes by the book. His belief is that he doesn't like people who caused trouble to others in this episode 12. This has influenced his sentencing of the violent drunkard with 26 criminal records, just like O Reum had based her judgement on her own situation. Like it or not, we often let our past experience and personal preference have some bearing on our decision-making process.

Judge Im Ba Reun : "I'm old. I'm a man and I'm drunk. They use that as an excuse to  cause others trouble. Why should we tolerate that? Does being in a difficult situation give you the right to harm others?

Judge Park Cha O Reum : "You have a point. But everyone's situation is different. Can't you try to be more understanding?"

Ba Reun : "Are you saying a violent offender can be powerless too? Being merciful towards the powerless sure sounds nice..but it's not the mission of the court. ALL ARE EQUAL BEFORE THE LAW. That should come first. Especially in Korea, shouldn't we try to stick to the principles more? EVERYONE IS TREATED EQUALLY AT LEAST IN THE COURT."

O Reum : " Don't you think the rules should be applied differently when it's necessary?" 

Ba Reun to Judge Han : "Diminished decision-making capacity cannot be a mitigating factor. He had past alcohol-fuelled assaults. He obviously knew what was coming (voluntary assault said Judge Han)".

O Reum's wounded healer viewpoint : "He must still be in shock from his mother's suicide".

Ba Reun : " We must take responsibility for our own actions no matter what situation. The WEIGHT of what has been done and what might happen in the future are obviously very different". 

The Outcome? The violent drunkard was sentenced to 5 years in prison. The Congressman who  embezzled over 10 million dollars was also sentenced to 5 years in prison and NOTE that it was an unprecedentedly heavy sentence for a business tycoon. 

Look at the scale of impact/damage of the offender. The drunkard has hit someone with his bottle. He gets  5 years and he's grateful that it's not a life sentence. The Congressman has impacted the entire economy negatively and he gets 5 years. 

I'm sorry I had to list their conversation to show the build up to why Im Ba Reun was so crushed....he was working himself up so much to stick to the principles.

He probably drowned himself in alcohol and broke down....because his "ALL ARE EQUAL BEFORE THE LAW" AND his "EVERYONE IS TREATED EQUALLY AT LEAST IN COURT" are completely thrown out of the window! It must have hit him so hard that by sticking to his principles, he had been bent on punishing the violent drunkard for causing trouble to others and refusing to see his situation (mum committed suicide).... but the same set of principles are bent by others.

Yes, they applied the rules differently when it's necessary - in favor of the wealthy and powerful.  That Congressman should get at least 10 or more years because of the scale of damage.

Judge Im Ba Reun must have awakened the hard way, from his delusional belief that all is fair in the legal system. It is NOT fair.

________________________________________________________________________________

On a lighter note..

The old woman to Ba Reun and O Reum up in the poor district apartments

"How do you know each other?"

"You are a beautiful man and a woman"
"You look good together. You should date"

"Gosh. I was being nosy, wasn't I?"

Nope. She's NOT being nosy. My sentiments exactly.

And yup. You both should date.    :D

@oceluna0801

I have the same feelings too. The drama started off so nicely with Ba Reun's and O Reum's high school infatuation and nice OSTs and trace their journey to being judges and then it focuses all the way on the heavy court cases....it can get dry at times. Would viewers want to watch court discussions all the time, especially with 2 beautiful leads?

It's not like the target market is the legal industry specifically. It's a kdrama after all and it's not too much to ask for Ba Reun and O Reum to intensify their love relationship by now. It's really slow and I fear we won't get much affection for the lead couple from the PD nim. 

That's why I said I hope I won't be left with a hollow feeling in the last episode. I wish for more interactions between L and Ara.

Don't think this drama focus is on romance. It's more about life of a judge and somewhat realistic issues happening in this world.

Romance is just some little candies to not make the drama too serious or sombre. 

Episode 12 had me in tears.

When L cried, it just hurt me so much.. 

4 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Don't think this drama focus is on romance. It's more about life of a judge and somewhat realistic issues happening in this world.

Romance is just some little candies to not make the drama too serious or sombre. 

Episode 12 had me in tears.

When L cried, it just hurt me so much.. 

The genre includes romance though. And it's a script produced as a Kdrama. Unless it's targeted to the legal industry specifically where they'll be solely interested in all the heavy cases...the producer must know that in dramaland, SOME of us will have anticipation for fairy tale romance along the way.  :)

There are viewers who are also likely not from legal background so a love story FOR SOME is attractive.  Currently, the love line for the lead couple is in dribs and drabs...lol

And I have to be honest to say that I'm not a viewer who will sit down for 1 hour each for 16 episodes  just to know what's happening in the daily court proceedings....it's enriching yet tends to get heavy going. What attracted me most is the chemistry between L and Aa and their awesome talent in this drama. With chemistry comes love lines. :)

1 hour ago, jl08 said:

The genre includes romance though. And it's a script produced as a Kdrama. Unless it's targeted to the legal industry specifically where they'll be solely interested in all the heavy cases...the producer must know that in dramaland, there will always be anticipation for fairy tale romance along the way.  In dramaland, we dream of the Knight in shining armor rescuing the beautiful princess and their love ever after.....lol.

Most viewers are also likely not to be from legal background so a love story is compelling.  Currently, the love line for the lead couple is in drips and drabs, leaving one frustrated....lol. 

And I have to be honest to say that I'm not a viewer who will sit down for 1 hour each for 16 episodes  just to know what's happening in the daily court proceedings....it's enriching yet tends to get heavy going. What attracted me most is the chemistry between L and Aa and their awesome talent in this drama. With chemistry comes love lines. :)

I can't agree more. That's exactly what I think and feel. Thank you! :)

Just a quick drop by. Are we still going on about a romance? I don't even expect any now. Seriously. It doesn't seem like that sort of drama. It is a drama based on relationships between people. Various types of relationships whether it be toxic, romantic, supportive, enlightening or a relationship where you grow.

What I actually dropped by to say is that this drama continues to surprise me each week. Is it me or is the writer good? He doesn't make a big deal out of a situation. But he is able to tease out each element in such a matter of fact way. That is what caught my attention. They deal with it realistically yet in such a humane way. And he always, always presents opposing views. Not a biased one. Nothing is black and white.

I use dramas to escape reality. Who doesn't? I don't need to escape it but Kdramas are escapism for some of us. Now I would say normally some of the themes or verdicts are actually really sad. And I would avoid such plots. But this writer isn't a pessimist. He always gives a ray of hope.

I tell you what; the situations that have been explored in the previous episodes are so real. Yet simply presented.

Episode 12 is so sad. Being alone and elderly is so sad. It is sad for the person. It is sad for the people who are aware of the situations yet are professionals and can't do anything more. It is sad and lonely and I feel so bad when the elderly have no money, relatives or no help. I have been asking lately at work- was your heater on? Since we are having winter now. Do you have anyone whom you want to contact? How do you tell an alcoholic to buy food when they spend it on alcohol or cigarettes instead. Or have failed detox many times. How do you feel when you see a 95 year old living alone? Real life is sad. Really, really sad. Owners who are admitted and have no one to feed their dogs or cats are sad. They refusing treatment because they have no one to lock or unlock their doors are sad.

Basically this writer seems to echo the absolute reality of my real world. And lol, why do I say he is good? Because he seems to be compassionate. Or writes in a compassionate manner. That's why this drama is different from other Kdramas. He doesn't sugarcoat the ugliness of real life.

Sorry guys just hit a disproportionately big number of sick elderly yesterday at work. Some who worried me enough to wonder what would it do to actually return them to their homes. I have someone who is 35kg stuck on my mind.

Sigh. Social isolation. Proverty. Old. Suicide. Man. The writer hit the nail on the head.

P/S not all viewers expect a full on romance in a Kdrama. If I wanted a rom com I would have watched a rom com or an actual romance drama.

I have mixed opinions about the romance part from this drama. At one point I want it badly while at the other I am just happy with what I am getting.  For the past few episodes I left all my hopes on getting more of romance between leads from the writer. I think at this point its better for us to not expect more of romance then we will be able to enjoy the little moments we get from this drama. As @ck1Oz mentioned I think this drama is based on relationships between people. 

I really like how the writer is presenting the issues faced by the society in the most realistic way possible. This is the most different K drama I have ever seen. There are parts where I find myself questioning my beliefs about certain issues. It makes me think deeper about people and their situations and I gotta say this IBR is the best male lead character in a k drama ever.

4 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Ahh.. the wait gonna be sweet yah? ;)

Lol....Yeah, I remember Black had the mere touching of lips.  At least twice.  :D

Ep 12 touches on poverty and alcohol. It's sad when the old woman was surprised to see the two young judges because they don't have young people living there. That whole building brings on a melancholic feeling because only the elderly stays there, like what O Reum said, they're invisible to the rest. And they're living in a relatively rich city.

I wonder if there'll be a Season 2....bigger court cases maybe, instead of the neighbourhood civil suits. 

@ck1Oz hugs!!

Episode 12 hits me the most and I end up crying more in this episode compared to the previous episodes. 

The aging population is a very real and sad issues everywhere. The way the society treats the elderly also upsets me.

With this drama, I hope It will also bring awareness as well.

I just love the direction of the drama is going.

Showing us what is real instead of fantasy bubblegum love.

Gosh. The 4 women had an all girls' night out and all look so pretty!

Preview for ep 14. Looks like that Yung Jung caused trouble for O Reum? And is that Ba Reun kneeling down for O Reum's sake? Oh no...1 more week!

18 hours ago, yusefull said:

Because unlike COR, he believe that everybody should be treated equally by the legal system and not the powerless more than those with power (the truth is that those with power don't have to fear mutch in korea) and even if he truly get to understand the old man life, in the end it was pointless because another judge destroy his work.

When he saw the news , he feel like the system is truly broken and what he does (it was his childhood dream to be a judge and a job he love) is pointless.

The worst part is that the journalist kind of say that the verdict is harsh were a guy who get years in jail for a lesser crime was thanking them.

I certainly appreciate IBR’s belief that everybody should be treated equally by the law but for him to think that all judges (the legal system is made up of people) will have the same principles and values as him is naive. Even if most of the other judges are corrupt (which I doubt) or the whole system is corrupt, as long as he does his job properly, he’s still doing his part. He shouldn’t beat himself up about his verdict. 

About episode 13, the best scene for me was when Judge Han finally brought home the truth to this show. The truly powerful people are the judges. It’s sad if they didn’t even realize that. I’ll leave with a quote by J.R.R. Tolkien since my favorite judge touched on this topic:

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.

“‘Even if it’s a story that clumsily written, the parts that seem real and appear to be based on feelings that the writer experienced never fail to touch your heart.’ Hearing that made me want to write about my own story regardless of whether it’ll sell or not. It made me want to go beyond just reading others’ stories.”

miss-hammurabi-ep-12-quotes.jpg?w=840

https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/07/04/k-drama-reaction-miss-hammurabi-episode-12/ 

I'm worried about ep14. I guess the man (in-law of OR's oppa) commits suicide and NJ Group uses media to put pressure on the Court. Anything like NJ Group forces him to suicide to save their reputation? It's like an economic kingdom and this issue may affect the country economy? I wonder why PR Han has to say sorry to OR. Maybe she is forced to resign? 

I don't think that oppa will do anything bad to OR. But why BR has to kneel down? Something seriously happens to that point? Arrrrg, 1 week is too long. I can't wait...

I can't believe this is going to end in two weeks. The preview looks scary. IBR kneeling in front of NJ group ceo and saying I will stay away from her. I think the professor committed suicide either  because he couldn't contain his guilt or because of the pressure from higher ups I don't think its because of OR's judgement but the court is filled with many people who are waiting for the right moment to attack her. I can't wait for next week. I know they will somehow manage to come out of that situation I am just excited to watch how? This is getting more exciting.

Archived