[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

0ly40

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jl08 said:

Oh, I just saw the part where they were by the river and the 'heart' lit up and the waterfall came on..

Haha I cant wait for the translation for that scene. From clips of Ep 10, BR is really stepping forward to protect OR, this really just made my day. Happy Monday/Tuesday everyone! :wub:

@gclala

Happy Tuesday now! Yes, though I don't understand the raw ep, I can see that Im Ba Reun is doing his best to protect O Reum. I'm angry that the other judges treat O Reum badly. She may be headstrong but she's doing the right thing.

Oh boy, the part where O Reum was telling the female judge about her family, Go Ara's acting is daebak!! Of course L's acting is awesome too (like his hospital scene) but in this particular scene, I cried buckets with O Reum... truly got sucked into her sad background that shaped her into what she is today - full of hurt inside.  

But the ending at the river makes up for it... something light to call it a night!   :)

@0ly40

Thanks for the OST!  :)

On 6/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, ohani said:

. She might be the main appeal of the drama for many since she speaks on behalf of  Moon Yeon Seok, the scriptwriter.

Definitely the main appeal for me in this drama...after the mini skirt and burkas she had me LOL  :tounge_xd: ...i like this woman and will willingly fight for her and with her .

This episode definitively killed the second lead as a contender for COR. When BR told him it's wrong to make her a locked doll and it's  clearly what he want to do (YJ can't even contradict him).

22 minutes ago, jadore1 said:
On 6/23/2018 at 10:37 PM, ohani said:

. She might be the main appeal of the drama for many since she speaks on behalf of  Moon Yeon Seok, the scriptwriter.

Definitely the main appeal for me in this drama...after the mini skirt and burkas she had me LOL  :tounge_xd: ...i like this woman and will willingly fight for her and with her .

I personally prefer the three guys in this drama :

- You got SS who scream at everybody about all things that are unfair but is the sweetest thing at home with his wife and daughters.

- BW who is brutally honest and truly do his best. He honestly like DY but she is too mysterious right now for him.

- BR him truly understand how the world work and I like his cynicism. He always think about COR and want to help her (after she "rejected" him, he was perfect I think and did his best to make her feel alright). I like that he accept other people point of view too and can change his own.

I like DY but the perfect "secretary" (I know she is not a secretary) type has already be done and redone and it's not new for me.

I like COR too but too mutch of a kid for me. Unlike BR who she only think about one side of things and sound more like a lawyer at some time and a prosecutor at other.

I am even a little disapointed in her that she never asked anything about BR private life. I think she must assume it's great and all but don't know anything about it.

P.S. : I don't think anybody talk about it but didn't COR said in episode 9 that she was disapointed that the guy (she rejected) was indiferent ? Isn't it some kind of confession ?

After watching the today’s episode, I had a sudden thought if that chaebol oppa OR is friends with. What if he’s purposely trying to make it difficult for OR in her job so that she quits being a judge and goes to him? Also I cried so much during the end. This is only show that makes me tear up, even come and hug me doesn’t make me cry like this show does!!

Hello! I'm new here and I've been really liking the discussion going on in the previous few pages so I thought I should probably join in. 

This recent episode was so good! (I'm kind of sad that the rating dropped but its understandable with the ongoing world cup). I think this week was the peek of Oh Reum's frustration, all the past episodes in which she fought for change, esp the one with the sexual assault, which we know was something really close to her heart, became undone and how can she not just wanna lose it and give up and take petty revenge. Ugh I was so frustrated too as a viewer because this isn't too far fetched from the reality of things either, perpetrators of sexual assault walk away unscathed and instead those who speak up are scrutinized to the extreme, people bringing up any past unrelated incidences for them to lose credibility. And oh my with Sung Gong Choon being promoted despite his previous misconduct, I'm anticipating a bigger mess in upcoming episodes. 

I think the show did a great job of reeling in the frustration and showing how Oh Reum's reasoning for why she is the way she is. I understand that judges should be as impartial but the whole point of the show is that there is pain behind that mask of neutrality, judges are people and they initially struggle a lot to get there. And that judges shouldn't completely lack emotion either like how Judge Im is either, there should be some compassion for the people involved. Its really a story of making mistakes, learning from them and growing together. 

Also loved the scene with Young Joon and Im Bareun. Bareun loves Oh Reum and he's not afraid to call her out on it when she screws up, and vice versa as well, that's why they have such good team work. Young Joon wants to keep encouraging her and give her power, which would definitely turn badly and make her as bad as the people she condemns. I think the writer is also taking slight digs at chabeol characters rampant in dramaland right now, they're an audience favorite like Young Joon mentioned, but they also turn the spunky female lead into a shell of herself (or an encased doll) by the end of the drama by coming in and basically throwing money around. Bareun really doesn't have that,  and rather than swooping in to save her, he's by her side giving her encouragement when she's going through something rough but also reeling her back if she's endangering herself too much. He gives her room to grow and learn while still letting her be as she is, just a more mature version. 

As for the romance in the series. Poor Bowang! All that for nothing but I completely understand Doyeon too. I think she initially agreed to go out with him bc in his confession he said he didn't care what she did or who she dated, he just liked her and wanted to ask her out, and she liked that he liked her for who she was and not her background or other job. So I think she felt hurt when he still had these misconceptions about her later on. I hope that made sense. But I really hope she clears it up too since he's been asking for a while now. Oooh also I don't know if anyone caught this but there was a big hint dropped as to what she did at night lol. As for our other couple, so many bad things happened this episode that I was really happy when they were both cursing and laughing at the end of it. They're both adorable and I can't wait for the karaoke session tomorrow with Bowang (I really missed the trio of friends!). 

1 hour ago, oceluna0801 said:

Chingus, please explain to me the talk between BR and his father. I can't understand what's its metaphor. The meaning of life... Thanks in advance.

"Wait" means in my opinion that you just accept what comes to you in life; you should live without taking rushed actions or having a huge goal in life. Life is given to you and you should just go with the flow. When IBR told her to wait, he means that she should wait until she realizes the impact she has as a judge, not question her value as a judge. She is definitely too impatient, she wants to see huge changes. However, like IBR said, she sees new aspects as she questions customs and norms. Yet she is rushing things and his seniority and maturity can help her to find answers and solution.

@MahnoorM I agree with you. If OR received the power from YJ, she would definitely cause some serious damage. She would even go to the length of bankrupting a company that helped an sexual harasser, not realizing that she would also hurt innocent people. I really liked that IBR pointed out her wrong thinking. She is a judge and as such, she needs to be impartial.  

It was another great episode, especially the ending. 

Im Ba Reun : "Don't you get sick of people sometimes? Don't you get sick of the world?"

"How do you never change?"

Wise man    : "Life is like the wind blowing through the branches".

Young man : "Is that really the meaning of life?"

Wise man   : "Wait".......

"Is it not so?"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's such an interesting parable shared by Ba Reun's dad. The wise man has been holed up in the high mountain doing many years of meditation to find the meaning of life. He has a fixed meaning of life until someone questioned it and he began to have doubts on his own thinking.

This is so apt - "many years" refer to the senior judges fixed in their way of thinking after working for so long.

"High mountain" refers to these judges holed up in their ivory towers and lost touch with the ground. They can't see the change. They are in their own comfort zone and happy with it.

Until someone comes along and question their thinking and ways of doing things. Some young rookie judge who wants to see the world change for the better with "is it so?". She wants to give a fresh lease of life to the victims. These senior judges are shakened out of their comfort zone, like the wise man did. They are forced to rethink their archaic ways of doing things and they don't like it. Hence, "is it not so" has rocked their boat.

Park Cha O Reum The Wounded Healer

We know why O Reum is such an emotional person. She is full of hurt inside. I love the conversation between O Reum and the female judge. It's the highlight for me -it definitely helps Ba Reun to understand with greater insight, where O Reum is coming from because I could see his look of enlightenment when the female judge said  to O Reum: 

"Because you have many wounds and scars.....you can understand and sympathize others' pain better than anyone else can".

O Reum had opened  her heart to them.

There are many phrases that I love from this episode.

Im Ba Reun's cool phrase "I may not change the world. I want to stand up for myself at least".

Though this might indicate his individualistic survival instinct which he values but he's right that they should not stoop low like the perpetrators.

I like his frank words to O Reum at the end. It's not easy to admit it because Ba Reun is an elite judge.

"I hope to help you make mistakes. I'm good at finding answers that are available."

"However, you look for new answers. In the process, you could make mistakes. What you do may be necessary".

Doesn't Park Cha O Reum remind you of the young man who questioned the wise man in the parable?  And Im Ba Reun, together with the senior judges, are having to move out of their comfort zone. Ba Reun has the advantage of O Reum helping him to see that change is necessary.

Not forgetting Judge Jung's "I am a jerk!"...lol.. and did you see that mischievous look that O Reum's 'aunt' gave over Ba Reun's head before she suggested that O Reum marry Yong Jun...  

I love this episode, especially how Ba Reun is always there for O Reum and the last scene was lovely yet comical:

In love: "They must be swearing love to each other. It makes me want to cry" 

In reality:  "You're worse than a piece of trash! How dare you, you nasty punks!"        :D

it's so sweet to see our judges being awkward when they realised they're supposed to kiss....  :wub:

4 hours ago, jl08 said:

I like his frank words to O Reum at the end. It's not easy to admit it because Ba Reun is an elite judge.

"I hope to help you make mistakes. I'm good at finding answers that are available."

"However, you look for new answers. In the process, you could make mistakes. What you do may be necessary".

it's so sweet to see our judges being awkward when they realised they're supposed to kiss....  :wub:

Chingu , this was an excellent summary of this episode :star:...even though i shy away from angst drama ...this one just got me ...and having original bright thoughts is so rare and valuable in every age, but in this one even more so since we just copy and paste a lot of our life . 

Episode 10 was really emotional just like I had thought. The script of Miss Hammurabi is truly remarkable. My eyes were full of tears during the scene when O Reum told the female jugde about her past. It was so good to see that she comforted her. Nowadays people have tendency to  look down on those who admit that they have weaknesses and doubts. When we fail it doesn't mean that we are losers. We may be when we give up. However if we learn something new from our mistakes  and keep on going it's actually our victory. 

Preview episode 12 ;) 

@0ly40

Thanks for the ep 11 clips!  

I love ep 10 and 11.  In fact, I hope more will watch this drama, even in their own country. It's such a great drama, full of learning points.   I find that L and Ara are also good at funny scenes.   :D

8 hours ago, jl08 said:

Im Ba Reun : "Don't you get sick of people sometimes? Don't you get sick of the world?"

"How do you never change?"

Wise man    : "Life is like the wind blowing through the branches".

Young man : "Is that really the meaning of life?"

Wise man   : "Wait".......

"Is it not so?"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's such an interesting parable shared by Ba Reun's dad. The wise man has been holed up in the high mountain doing many years of meditation to find the meaning of life. He has a fixed meaning of life until someone questioned it and he began to have doubts on his own thinking.

This is so apt - "many years" refer to the senior judges fixed in their way of thinking after working for so long.

"High mountain" refers to these judges holed up in their ivory towers and lost touch with the ground. They can't see the change. They are in their own comfort zone and happy with it.

Until someone comes along and question their thinking and ways of doing things. Some young rookie judge who wants to see the world change for the better with "is it so?". She wants to give a fresh lease of life to the victims. These senior judges are shakened out of their comfort zone, like the wise man did. They are forced to rethink their archaic ways of doing things and they don't like it. Hence, "is it not so" has rocked their boat.

Thank you so much for the in-depth clarification! My initial thought was that no one really knows the meaning of life, until you've lived through it and everyone might has a different meaning. Even for the wise man that have years of meditation/experience, he does not know everything. The question of meaning of life is thrown back to the man who asks the question; he has to figure it out by himself. And there is no one right answer for 'meaning of life', it really depends how you decide to live your life and then you will know.

I think it might relate to when BR said that he has been always looking for the right answers, but OR has been searching for new answers. 

@gclala

You're right, too. 

The parable is subject to different interpretations as we're all made up differently. Both the wise man and young man see life differently as one is detached from the world and one is probably overwhelmed by the change going around. :)

She is so in love with him. She can't stop looking at him (the same way he look at her).

Please writer, don't give us last 3 minutes of episode 16 with them as a couple but more.

24 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

Oh my , that boy can sing like an angel :)  and our OR does not spare anyone , even the CEO got s*t from her haha .  I think I am in love with BR  " I promised to support her"  :smile:

I like that both the CEO and BR act in a way that they are better than other people but BR trully is. They both got her back but YJ just use money when BR help her and got her back.

19 hours ago, MahnoorM said:

Oooh also I don't know if anyone caught this but there was a big hint dropped as to what she did at night lol.

Yess I haven’t had a chance to address our second OTP but they are so cute! I was bummed when he just had to put his foot in his mouth. But wow, I didn’t catch the hint! what’s her job? How is she able to afford car? What’s her dream job if it’s not stenographer??

Archived