Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018] Life on Mars, 라이프 온 마스

9 hours ago, allegramente said:

Miss Yoon is quite an enigma for me because, just as you've brought up, she knows Dr Jang AND her role as "exposition" device here are (she plays Miss Information Super Highway a little too well) hints for something. 

In light of the recent epiosdes 11 & 12... should I put my money on the manicure killer being the ET Guy?

It's Han Tae-Joon's achilles heels: Facts vs Truth....

Kim Hyun-Seok plots and manages to come this far in his revenge. He is too sane and intelligent to kill repeatedly on impulse. But the mentally unbalanced ET Guy, drugged and watching KHS being dolled up,  may have developed the fetish and urge to relive the moment he sees KHS on makeup. "He likes to watch..."   Officer Yoon says when she wonders why the victim is posed in certain way. The way the ET Guy watches KHS helpless and 'pretty' is just..... uncomfortable.

But if so... where does 2018 KMS fit in this...? "I remember that look on your face..." (2018 KMS)....  is he referring to young HTJ or the 1988 HTJ?

All these theories just confuse me even more!!! Ms Yoon is too efficient.  I agree that she must know Dr. Jang of Neurosurgery in 2018.  In what capacity and timeline I’m not sure.  She could be one of his patients who were also comatose thus why she is also in 1988 with Tae-joo.

She acts like Ms Siri or Ms Google, that kind of wiki-helpful.  There is usually some sort of electronic stimulants playing at all times for comatose patients.  What if she is a character from those stimulants in 2018 for Tae-joo?

What is confusing to me in regard to KMS in 2018 being a copy cat killer is that

1) He kills random women, often those who lives alone, not sinners... these are different criterias than KHS, his hyung.  There is no personal connection.  What is the common thread among his victims?

2) Little KMS never witnessed the murders first hand.  He didn’t observe how his hyung killed GYS, how can he duplicate the same killing methods... stuffing of underwear, strangulation.  Did KHS teach KMS?  Or did KMS read about his brother’s killing spree in the papers later?

3) KMS was in Tae-joo’s hospital room.  How did he get there?  He disguised himself as a hospital worker, who helped him get into the room?

ET guy is an enigma but he doesn’t seem smart enough to evade the police to me.  There is a purpose for the character, what is it???? :lol:  If your theory is true, is ET mentoring KMS after KHS’s death?

7 hours ago, __jesse said:

Kim Hyun Seok's obsession with the colour red is real - red manicure, red car, even dressed KMS in red.

Interesting article on the pre-Olympics clean-up: https://www.thequint.com/news/world/south-koreas-shameful-secret-mass-killings-and-abuse-cover-up 

Edited: KHS said, "Who said that it's over? I didn't even start yet." What if KHS intends to go after all the people involved in the "clean-up" operation, which perhaps involved the Insung Chief and other high ranking officers in Seoul? Maybe when the Seoul cop said, "The problem lies inside," he wasn't referring to KHS, but the Chief.

Do you think KMS is the driver of the car that hit Tae-joo that night?  :P If KHS did not die from the fall in the river, he could team up with his brother KMS in 2018.  Are there other killings beside the women that were unsolved in 2018?  Should be of older victims.

Chief Kim, where is he in 2018? Did we meet him yet?  

• Like 4

I'm wondering is the 1st victim in 1988 (shown at the end of ep 1) related to KHS too? She had red nails when they found her body but the killer had been caught in the 2nd ep. Are there more than 1 manicure killer? Hmmmm.

This is so sad. Where is humanity? Huhu

This is quite a long read. But i do think this maybe used as reference for KHS's character in LOM. Such cruelty remain unresolved :(

https://nypost.com/2016/04/19/south-korea-covered-up-mass-murder-of-vagrants-before-1988-olympics/amp/

and now the concentration camp site is a housing area with tall buildings. Its said that there could be hundreds of bodies still out there. Scary. I wont buy any housing at that area huhuhu

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Is Captain higher ranked than Chief ?

Chief Kim ? The one who shot KHS.

He is higher ranked than DC 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katakwasabi said:

I'm wondering is the 1st victim in 1988 (shown at the end of ep 1) related to KHS too? She had red nails when they found her body but the killer had been caught in the 2nd ep. Are there more than 1 manicure killer? Hmmmm.

This is so sad. Where is humanity? Huhu

This is quite a long read. But i do think this maybe used as reference for KHS's character in LOM. Such cruelty remain unresolved :(

https://nypost.com/2016/04/19/south-korea-covered-up-mass-murder-of-vagrants-before-1988-olympics/amp/

and now the concentration camp site is a housing area with tall buildings. Its said that there could be hundreds of bodies still out there. Scary. I wont buy any housing at that area huhuhu

Thanks for that. :( Appalling stuff and certainly a blight on their history. But it's certainly not peculiar to SK that people in power abuse their power to get results. Seems like reality was a lot worse than what we saw in Episode 12. 

It goes to show how wonderfully well written this show is. It's fantastic how they manage to incorporate different facets of recent history in various episodes and link all that with KMS' serial killing antics. 

@triplem Oooh... I hadn't noticed that Miss Yoon had a photo of TJ in her notebook. I must've blinked right about the time it happened. ;) Good catch!

I don't really think that the guy in 2018 who was yelling at TJ for whistle blowing is DC. :D If anything, DC would be more a symbolic or representative of a kind of attitude among cops who think that they can flout evidence laws as long as they can get their man behind bars. The frustration is understandable but there are long term consequences for the lack of regard for the rule of law. I generally subscribe to the coma theory in so far as TJ's unconscious might be dealing with certain issues in his own experiences as his life hangs in a balance. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, triplem said:

Chief Kim ? The one who shot KHS.

He is higher ranked than DC 

I mean the title. Han Tae Joo is also Chief Han right? But he seems to be lower ranked than Captain DC ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I mean the title. Han Tae Joo is also Chief Han right? But he seems to be lower ranked than Captain DC ?

If you can find the drama with C subs, go and take a look there because the C subbers do a better job  with the ranks and titles for obvious reasons. TJ is ban zhang which is more like Team/Squad Leader. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I did not like chief kim's character in marriage contract anf i continue to not like him in LOM. I want to know what is in chief kim's mind. He's conviniently everywhere. I still remember him telling the kidnappers that nayoung is a cop in ep 7. Hmph :mellow:

LoM9_00140.jpg

mc08-00719.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

don't really think that the guy in 2018 who was yelling at TJ for whistle blowing is DC. :D If anything, DC would be more a symbolic or representative of a kind of attitude among cops who think that they can flout evidence laws as long as they can get their man behind bars. The frustration is understandable but there are long term consequences for the lack of regard for the rule of law. I generally subscribe to the coma theory in so far as TJ's unconscious might be dealing with certain issues in his own experiences as his life hangs in a balance. 

I think so too . In fact it feels like that even for Na Young. These people are like projections of characters or people he’s come across. Maybe like in NY’s case , the sort of girl he’s always admired. 

While nothing I think will change in the future as this doesn’t feel like a time travel drama, what’s the reason he is revisiting these repressed memories? Or is he in some sort of purgatory? :astonished:

This scene :lol: ...Na Young constantly gets a culture shock when TJ does something nice  for her . 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, triplem said:

I think so too . In fact it feels like that even for Na Young. These people are like projections of characters or people he’s come across. Maybe like in NY’s case , the sort of girl he’s always admired. 

While nothing I think will change in the future as this doesn’t feel like a time travel drama, what’s the reason he is revisiting these repressed memories? Or is he in some sort of purgatory? :astonished:

I too think its possible that the characters in 1988 are projection of real people TJ has came across or admire. But i also think its plausible that maybe these are all real characters in 1988 and TJ is reliving 1988 in his mind while in a coma. 

@40somethingahjumma nayoung did have TJ's pic in her notebook and i'm glad TJ saw it! Still on NY-TJ boat here hahahaha

• Like 4

2 hours ago, triplem said:

Well, why do you think he is in a purgatory? :D  

I just remember what KHS said to Tae-joo on the bridge.  Don't go look for him, he will find you.  He has a date with someone other than Na Young.   I think he will take another photo with her by the end of the drama.

@katakwasabi thank you for the link to the Post.  Atrocious crimes.  :(  The dark side of the Seoul Olympics that I now know.  Sad.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/07/life-on-mars-episode-11/#comment-3276824

Ep 11 recap on dramabeans~

One comment made me thinking too. Why didnt taejoo screen police officers with asthma or ones that own an inhaler first. Haha

Comment from liar song on dramabeans:

3. I am questioning how Tae-joo did not think of filtering police officers with asthma. That inhaler is a crucial evidence and he didn't even think of that important clue to the killer? (It may also be faster that way? Well either way he found out who the real killer is so all is good I guess) Maybe I'm expecting too much from him. Regardless, I still love Tae-joo.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Well, why do you think he is in a purgatory? :D  

I just remember what KHS said to Tae-joo on the bridge.  Don't go look for him, he will find you.  He has a date with someone other than Na Young.   I think he will take another photo with her by the end of the drama.

@katakwasabi

Not purgatory in the truest sense of the Catholic word , but more like a place where people with unresolved wishes or attachments go when in a state of limbo. 

Lol! I cracked up writing that . Oh well fantasy dramas, anything can happen :w00t:

@katakwasabi So sad , I like how the writer tries to incorporate social commentary & issues of that time into the drama 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

If you can find the drama with C subs, go and take a look there because the C subbers do a better job  with the ranks and titles for obvious reasons. TJ is ban zhang which is more like Team/Squad Leader. 

Ahh thanks for the explanation. Though I can read Chinese, but I usually do not watch K-dramas with Chinese subs coz it takes me too long to read the words. By the time I am finished with the words, I  would have missed the action on screen lol..

2 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

One comment made me thinking too. Why didnt taejoo screen police officers with asthma or ones that own an inhaler first. Haha

3. I am questioning how Tae-joo did not think of filtering police officers with asthma. That inhaler is a crucial evidence and he didn't even think of that important clue to the killer? (It may also be faster that way? Well either way he found out who the real killer is so all is good I guess) Maybe I'm expecting too much from him. Regardless, I still love Tae-joo.

Yah he could have done so, but it wouldn't have worked in this case coz the fellow was using a fake name, and the original person probably doesn't have asthma. Or perhaps people with asthma would not be admitted to the police force in the first place, hence TJ knew he could have hidden the fact when registering for the force??

• Like 3

2 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

As @Prettysup noted rightly the asthma angle wouldn't have worked because the culprit faked his identity and by extension probably his health records. The guy has strep meningitis and if he had really undergone a health check prior to enlistment, he would never have been placed as a cop. But because he assumed the identity of a former riot control officer with the military with his own health record, he was able to slip in under the radar.

The whole asthma thing is for the audience to follow the trail of not necessarily something that's immediately helpful to TJ in his investigation. ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BTS

Little KMS is so cute 

BTS pics of the bridge scene 

I want the preview !!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone showed up the the bar, including Mr. TV himself. :lol:

I think DC's still on model mode from his magazine cover.  Blue Ray-DVD is avail for ordering.

Spoiler

The drama is so bleak and serious, good to see the smiles..

Spoiler

I want to hug these future Hallyu stars.  Yay to the little people for a job well done.  So cute!!!

Spoiler

Who's the older kid in blue T on left?  Did I sleep through some scenes? LOL

Korean adaptation of British hit series 'Life On Mars' gains traction with viewers

2018/07/18 09:00

Article View Option
PrintEnlargeReduce
SNS Share
FacebookTwittergoogle plusPinterestLinked inTumblrRedditFacebook MessengerMore

By Woo Jae-yeon, Yonhap

SEOUL, July 18 (Yonhap) -- The Korean remake of popular British television series "Life On Mars" has steadily climbed up the weekly TV chart, backed by the proven track record of its original series, smart localization and strong performances by actors, data showed Wednesday.

The weekend series on cable channel OCN, well-known as an original genre series and movie channel, ranked No. 6 by recording a score of 220.5 on the weekly Content Power Index (CPI) for July 9-15.

It is the third highest among TV series following tvN's "Mr. Sunshine" and "What's Wrong With Secretary Kim," which came in at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively. Since the OCN series premiered on June 9, it has aired 10 episodes so far.

The story revolves around a cop who is involved in an accident while chasing a serial killer in 2018. When he regains consciousness, he finds himself in 1988. Wondering if he is dreaming, he becomes extremely confused, as if he'd landed on a different planet -- like Mars.

During a media promotional event in June, director Lee Jung-hyo emphasized that the story is not about a time slip but about a confused man and the gray area between fiction and reality in which he suddenly finds himself.

"The protagonist gets to live in the in-between area where he embarks on a journey to find his true identity and encounter and experience good things from the past," Lee said.

Actor Chung Kyung-ho plays Han Tae-joo, a level-headed detective who meticulously uses modern policing technologies and techniques to solve cases. When he awakens in the year of 1988, he finds himself still chasing the same serial killer suspect.

Since the show's start, Chung has been getting rave reviews from critics and viewers alike for his convincing portrayal of the dazed detective, who can't put his finger on where he is now and why he is where he finds himself.

Han is frequently at odds with senior detective Kang Dong-chul, played by Park Sung-woong, who is the exact opposite of him when it comes to policing. Kang often follows his gut instinct and couldn't care less about forensics, resorting to coercion and evidence fabrication.

The science fiction series has been remade in multiple nations, including the United States, Spain, Russia and the Czech Republic. The original British version won the International Emmy Award for Best Drama Series in 2006 and 2008. It was also nominated for a British Academy Television Award in the Best Drama Series category in 2007.

The CPI, created by CJ E&M and Nielsen Korea, measures the level of popularity, social media trending and influence on consumer behavior of entertainment TV programs aired on three major terrestrial networks -- MBC, SBS and KBS -- and seven cable channels owned by CJ E&M, including tvN, Mnet and OCN, during prime time. JTBC, another cable network that airs some highly popular entertainment shows and dramas, is not included in the measurement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Everyone showed up the the bar, including Mr. TV himself. :lol:

Hide contents

Who's the older kid in blue T on left?  Did I sleep through some scenes? LOL

Omo! I didnt realise tv guy was in JKH's instagram post :) and the ilustrations are so cute!

@triplem i need the preview too! Its nice seeing the cast having fun in the BTS video. Hoho

New upload from OCN

:lol::lol:

• LOL 2

Time-traveling detective to search for identity

By Im Eun-byel, Korea Herald

OCN’s ‘Life on Mars’ claims it’s not another run-of-the-mill time travel series

• Published : Jun 6, 2018 - 13:21
  • Updated : Jun 6, 2018 - 13:21

Another drama series featuring a time-traveling detective is on its way, but its producers claim it does not rely too much on the instrument of going back in time, describing it as a “journey of finding one’s identity between dream and reality.” 

Perhaps buoyed by past successes in the genre -- “Signal” and “Tunnel,” for example -- CJ E&M’s OCN network is to air yet another time travel series in “Life on Mars,” a remake of the popular British BBC production of the same name that aired 2006-2007.

20180606000091_0.jpg

The upcoming Saturday-Sunday series features a detective who travels back in time to 1988. While he had been a cool-headed detective who relied on facts and evidence, he learns to use his instincts to tackle cases. 

“The original series is actually the root of the time travel genre,” director Lee Jung-hyo said at a media event Tuesday in western Seoul. He was aware that time travel has become an oft-used narrative instrument, which viewers could be tiring of. 

“I myself thought ‘time travel again?’ when I was offered the series. But this one is more about the protagonist finding his identity in a space between reality and dream,” he said. 

This is Lee’s second remake series. “The Good Wife,” a Korean adaptation of the popular US drama series, was well received by local viewers in 2016. In producing such adaptions, Lee focuses on following the Korean actors’ emotions. 

“The flow of the script is important, too. But we have to make viewers understand why the actors feel and react in certain ways,” Lee said. 

Cast members were often amazed when they arrived at the locales to shoot. Most of the series has been shot in Busan, in places where time seem to have stopped since the 1980s. As director Lee is from Busan, he knows the area well. 

20180606000090_0.jpg

Jung Kyung-ho plays the time-traveling detective. He took the role without reading the script, as he had worked with the director on JTBC series “Heartless City” in 2013. 

“I now have learned the lesson that I should always read the script,” he said. Jung is going through a tight shooting schedule as he appears in every scene in the series. 

“I don’t feel like I am working when shooting ‘Life on Mars,” and not every production feels this way,” Jung said. He added, “My character gets beaten up a lot. I had thought it would be OK as it is just acting, but it hurts so much now.”

The “violent character” who pummels Jung is played by veteran Park Sung-woong. Park gained 10 kilograms to play the detective in 1988 relying on instinct. 

“As Jung is rather skinny, I thought I should have a contrasting image, as a well-built detective who is straightforward and bold,” he said. “I didn’t watch the original series. An actor is a creator. I just told the director, ‘Correct me if I am too out of line.’ Under his direction, I just enjoyed myself.” 

The 16-part series will air its first episode Saturday at 10:20 p.m. 

By Im Eun-byel (silverstar@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2