• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

The clip is still the video with the fastest growing viewer numbers. :D

I wonder why... NOT! :P:wub:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

A very cool and satisfying ending. It is better than what i've expected. I love this drama 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Yes we are nowhere near ready to say goodbye to this drama yet. Even JTBC, 'cause they still release some new still cuts today I believe.

@Jillia I really love those opening scenes of this drama. So cute, romantic and creative. It is good that JTBC makes a compilation of those scenes. Sure I'll rewatch this clip again and again as with other scenes and BTS :sweatingbullets:. OK, now I realize that for each episode, under the title they also put a cutie graphic icon which refers to an item related to our OTP and featured in that certain episode. Like in the opening scene of episode 9, we got that chocolate pack, for episode 10, the famous bunny slipper pair, episode 12, the polar bear in the aquarium, episode 13, the ramen bowl. And I really can't with the episode 16, that moon with our OTP doing their cleaning together. :wub:

@mushforbrains I just hope whatever he means by regrets, it is not about those negative comments/ bodyshaming thing that unfortunately happened to him :tears:. I personally regret some holes in the plot towards the end of the drama but overall it's still fine. Hopefully it's just because KS is so demanding of himself in terms of acting that he talks about 'regrets'. I just want to let him know that he has been doing so well, just like the whole team, and he can be proud of himself :).

@nubianlegalmind there is some weakness in the plot, we can all see that. It happens to many dramas I guess. And you got it very right about the role of Choi Goon. Either the scriptwriter did not find a way to really accommodate him in the story or they changed the script and dropped his character when they got into real filming.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Still keeping up with IG posts in case jtbc uploads another bunch of bts scenes.:wub::w00t:.

Yes find it really hard to let go..think only 3 dramas have tugged at me like this. Litm/7dq and now this one. 

Am starting to rewatch and really appreciated the comic timing of these 2 and loved the webtoon-y feel in the earlier episodes.

It was silly, fun and some of the scenes were "laugh out loud and choke on ypur coffee" hilarious...

The cast did well...still love the skincrawling cringe scene by the 3 fairies....

The elevator scene...

The CEO weakly spritzing OS in the hospital too.

:lol:

• Like 3

On 2/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, mushforbrains said:

Don't know what yks means by regrets in the soompi article...i thought he was the perfect choice for this character...

5 hours ago, thoattm said:

@mushforbrains I just hope whatever he means by regrets, it is not about those negative comments/ bodyshaming thing that unfortunately happened to him :tears:. I personally regret some holes in the plot towards the end of the drama but overall it's still fine. Hopefully it's just because KS is so demanding of himself in terms of acting that he talks about 'regrets'. I just want to let him know that he has been doing so well, just like the whole team, and he can be proud of himself :).

So, this is something that Korean actors will frequently say, and it's really more a statement of humility than having actual regrets about it. It's a way of saying that even though they were lacking, that they hoped people still liked their performances.

I was always on board with YKS doing this role, and I have no regrets that YKS and KYJ paired up for this drama. I thought they were adorable, both individually and together. :wub: And, strangely enough, the man-child that YKS could be and the mature young woman that KYJ is produced the right chemistry to make us believe in their story together.

Not saying that the plot wasn't without its flaws or that other characters could have been developed a tad more, however, it was thoroughly enjoyable to watch. And, despite @nubianlegalmind's excellent analysis of CG's passive-aggressive flaws, I forgive him and enjoyed watching him because he was also rather lost and uncertain of what he should and shouldn't do, but ultimately, he chose to be supportive of both SK and OS.

The only regret I have is that there were so many pre-emptions of this drama which I'm pretty sure contributed to not able to get higher ratings. Oh well. I'm sure this drama will be enjoyed by future fans online as well. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Thanks!

The k drama industry does have some interesting cultural differences that I sometimes struggle to comprehend. 

It's interesting to me how they address and treat their audience/fans...

The language variation with senior/junior...friends....lovers...

Mind boggling...in a good way!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mushforbrains said:

Thanks!

The k drama industry does have some interesting cultural differences that I sometimes struggle to comprehend. 

It's interesting to me how they address and treat their audience/fans...

The language variation with senior/junior...friends....lovers...

Mind boggling...in a good way!

Well, my apologies if I'm telling you something you already know. Korean society in general has traditionally followed the Confucian Social Order bonds which dictate the relationship between two people. The five bonds being:

Ruler to ruled

Father to son

Husband to wife

Elder brother to younger brother

Friend to friend

Each of these bonds except friend to friend have a senior-junior (or superior-inferior) designation that dictates what responsibilities are owed. With friends, they owe each other mutual equivalent respect. These bonds in Korea are pretty firmly entrenched, and even the way one addresses each other using familial or job titles reflects these types of bonds.

The female counterparts are taken along the lines of the male relationships except for the husband to wife one, where the husband is the senior in the relationship and the wife is the junior.

Also, the elder brother to younger brother bond is very age dependent, and fairly strictly observed. Actually, my mother who is gracious and friendly with everyone would not dream of being friends with anyone who isn't her birth year. If she is fond of someone a year older, she is an unnie, or else a dongsaeng. So, in Korea, even if a job dictates that one person has more influence or power than another person, their respective ages will dictate how they may address each other.

As for how they address and treat their fans, they really have to show humility and respect. As part of the entertainment industry, they are keenly aware that the fans are all important. Also, entertainment while somewhat respectable now did not used to be considered a respectable job to go into, and thus low in terms of desirable professions and the respect accorded those professions. In Korea, even today, the most prized profession is still medicine. So, Korean stars are trained to be respectful and grateful to their fans, even if it's just for outward show.

Anyway, a long winded comment on your comment. Hope you find it somewhat informative anyway. :)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 5

Definitely insightful...can see why there might have been an uproar over the casting now...

and also amazing how Kim Yoo jung navigates it...given that she is Super young and yet a sunbae in the acting field....Super warm n friendly person that she is

which means that when she playfully kicked yks in a bts....am not even sure how many social lines she crossed...but in a good way since he took it really well:blink:

am still trying to understand....am a banana...Asian but largely grew up in an English speaking and westernised environ...so its really interesting

so a big thank you for all the translations and insights!!!

i enjoy reading all these posts:D

• Like 3

@stroppyse no it was good to read it. I was brought up this way but since I never read about these teachings didn't know it was called Confucian way of life. Well I conveniently forgot what I was taught in school.

Anyway that's why it is more interesting when someone understands Korean. Because when it is subbed the American way you lose the nuances. I must say my heart gives a little jump whenever the characters switches from formal to informal or see how chilly another person can be when calling someone higher ranked. If words could kill it will be Koreans talking subtly using all the correct form.

But the social form or rather Kdramas may have influenced me in a negative way. Because I now doubt sometimes if people are praising me because of politeness based on my age. Or are they really sincere. I am talking about being praised by other Koreans.  I cannot literally cannot or used to criticise someone older than I am. It took me years of deconditioning to do it. But when I meet another Asian or Korean I can't do it. I really can't be impolite to them. Honestly not kidding here. I was always taught to respect my elders.

By the way it took me that long to finally watch ep 16. I didn't realize it was almost 90 minutes long. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Maybe because I had weeks to cool down over it. However it didn't pack a punch. I read somewhere that OS loved her mother the most. More than the male lead. The comparisons or examples of how in love OS was with her mum made me laugh. It was so true that's why I stopped being resentful with the ending.  He was always going to be 2nd best anyway in her thoughts.

Acting aside I am impressed the actress kissed so much. She obviously agreed to it but I am impressed she is willing to kiss properly. Since she is so young and talented I have hopes then for her future dramas.

There is another actress whom I quite dislike. Ok maybe more than a few. But they have luck or success in being cast with successful actors. So I am forced to watch the dramas cos' I like the story or the actor. But those dramas are always totally ruined by the utterly lame and limp kissing scenes.

So believe me when I say I am so happy she is willing to kiss. There. Blunt and brutal. But that's how I really feel. Since I have watched her in Powerful Opponents and thought how talented she was even back then.

Well another drama done. A bit disappointing but it was ok. Not as good as I had hoped. But not entirely bad that I won't recommend it. I liked the actor since 3 Meals a day. I was so fond of him there.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Anyway that's why it is more interesting when someone understands Korean. Because when it is subbed the American way you lose the nuances. I must say my heart gives a little jump whenever the characters switches from formal to informal or see how chilly another person can be when calling someone higher ranked. If words could kill it will be Koreans talking subtly using all the correct form.

I grew up straddling both American and Korean cultures. So, while I can understand a lot of the interactions being depicted in kdramas, I have to admit that I am sometimes annoyed by them. Kdramas do reflect Korean society to a degree, but it is also a reflection of how the writer wants to see it or what message he/she wants to send via the drama. And, most kdramas are loaded with social messaging. Also, it can be difficult to translate some of the built-in messaging as well as the depictions of customs and cultural norms within a dialogue to indicate why it's meaningful and in which way, especially to an audience who don't have that as a norm and so may find it not obvious to understand. Still, I applaud anyone who undertakes translating, especially when they do it without immersion training. I'm constantly amazed at the number of people here on soompi who have managed to pick up Korean just from watching kdramas, and their translations are usually right enough to get the general idea of what's going on, even if it misses some nuances or confuses homonymous words.

Btw, I do understand the questioning of sincerity in conversing in Korean with a Korean, especially in a professional setting, because not only is there the built-in respect element, but there can also be a tendency to fulsome praise which may or may not be appropriate. However, as in any other culture, I think you have to evaluate the person who is speaking as well as what is not being said as well as actually being said, if that makes sense.

I like your sentiment of Koreans and killing with formal speech. That is sooo true, and I've seen it done. Just slightly lowering one's speech can be tantamount to an insult indicating that the other person is not worthy of proper formal speech. LOL. In the same way, that overly correct and fulsome speech is also an insult. :lol: Still, I'm sure there are similar things in other cultures. It's just that with the levels of formality involved in Korean speech (I think the only form of formal speech that has disappeared is the manner in which one speaks to one's ruler. The others are intact.), it's easier to convey, and to make it as obvious or subtle as one wants to. :D

• Like 3

To me this drama was meant to be a fun ride but not in terms of popularity. However I think it could've maintained the steady 3% viewership if it wouldn't have been for the preemptions. But again, in the end ratings don't say much about quality. Only very few drama with high ratings are actually also very good.

CWPFN was a drama which warmed and still warms my heart. I feel extremely good about the couple and their love story. I didn't need the makjang party towards the end but in the end the beautiful and funny scenes with Oh Sol and Sun Kyul made it all up again. :D

Also, this drama introduced me properly to Yoon Kyun Sang who was always praised by @stroppyse and I'm very happy he warmed my heart just like Kim Yoo Jung did.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Also, this drama introduced me properly to Yoon Kyun Sang who was always praised by @stroppyse and I'm very happy he warmed my heart just like Kim Yoo Jung did.

Not going to lie that I'm happy that the fantastic and discerning @Jillia has come to appreciate YKS. :D He's a nice, underrated actor, though not sure that he'll have the ability to persist in leading man roles. He can be fierce and charming and all that, but he's a bit too much of a teddy bear for the tastes of the current Korean audience. Still, I can wish the best for him. Anyway, it was lovely seeing him in this drama where he is matched with the talented YKJ and SJR. I really did like the trio's interactions in just about any combination of their characters, not to mention the hilarious BTS'. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Love 2

The k drama industry can be cruel/ageist/lookist etc....but they have also a great number of character actors as well as flower boys/man so can see YKS straddling both... given how good an actor he is ...

am sure he won’t be looking for too many fluff projects either...though I love him in this fluffy comedic role....think he will probably excel in any roles he picks up...but acceptance may be better for him in heroic/ serious roles.

enjoyed doubtful victory as well..both emotional and some comedic scenes with some degree of romance simmering underneath....

he also has a good rep in the industry...so I hope the Pds will continue to look and fight for him to take on lead roles....

Was in another forum where the lead male was also someone who was previously relegated to 2nd lead/ silly Friend roles but he shone in the thriller genre...

hope that hakjin, the chap that plays Donghyun also gets bigger roles in the future....he’s got the cool calm man thing going for him.

• Like 4

kkk @stroppyse I know I'm super nitpicky about actors and dramas and stuff. :lol: It's a blessing and curse at the same time. I hope I'll be able to enjoy more dramas with YKS in the future. :wub:

I rewatched the last episode and I definitely see the flaws in it. But I also have to admit that my love for the couple makes me look past those flaws. They're just too adorable and perfect for eachother.

Can I also say that I'm SO glad I'm rooting for an actress who isn't afraid to kiss properly? Yes, Kim Yoo Jung is still young but I appreciate very much that she isn't afraid of moving into lead actress material. Even though it's difficult for many fans of hers since she was a kid to see her grow up. 

I think she is one of those actresses who discusses a lot with her management but also with her parents, most especially with her mother who tend to be present at filming site when she was younger. So I think no matter what decision she makes, she is certainly not an actress who does a kissing scene without having discussed its consequences and so on. :D

• Like 5
  • Love 2

It has been one week already...I m still bingo watching the cuts and BTS on YouTube :tears:

Especially the ep 13 kiss scene :phew: we reached 2.3M views yayyyy

Cant get over this couple...

Feel like someone is gonna come over and ask me

tumblr_o0yn30UXkc1tfgw9to1_500.gif

And I will be like

original.gif

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

@stroppyse; I have a question from you please let me know why KYS has not a single photo of KYJ in his ig? Is it normal ? I have been into korean drama since 2009 and I have never seen such a thing. Mostly actors post their photos to promote their drama in a professional way. At least KYJ has few of them posted with others and one with KYS. From btws  I assume OTPs are in a good term.  KYS also mentioned in his interview that he is a fan one KYJ.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Niki-Forever said:

@stroppyse; I have a question from you please let me know why KYS has not a single photo of KYJ in his ig? Is it normal ? I have been into korean drama since 2009 and I have never seen such a thing. Mostly actors post their photos to promote their drama in a professional way. At least KYJ has few of them posted with others and one with KYS. From btws  I assume OTPs are in a good term.  KYS also mentioned in his interview that he is a fan one KYJ.

By KYS, do you mean Yoon Kyun Sang, the male lead? To be honest, I'm not sure why he doesn't have a photo of KYJ in his insta, and I'm sure that YKS is a fan of KYJ. It could be something as simple as he didn't think to take a photo with KYJ or something as complex as given their real age differences, he didn't want to fuel any backlash against them since there was quite a bit of controversy over how young KYJ was over how old he was as well as how much older he looked than her, especially at the beginning of the drama. I'm not sure that it's completely died down either since I think there continued to be critical comments about YKS being the male lead of this drama be knetz. YKS is a pretty caring and thoughtful guy, so I can imagine that he would try not to do anything that he thought might cause her any further negativity and speculation.

But, I need to stress that this is just total speculation on my part. And, it could be as simple as YKS just didn't take any photos of the two of them together to post on his instagram.

• Like 6

Being a crazy shipper ahjumma..most drama couples do not put up couple pics so that it doesn't fuel speculation for crazy shippers like me..:w00t:

Not in the last few couples I've followed at least....so I don't often see pics of the OTP together at the wrap up or in social media except the purely promo stuff 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1