[Drama 2018] About Time / 어바웃타임

Maetawinz

Eps 12 was definitely better than the filler eps that was eps 11. At least in this episode I felt better for DoHa. He was finally taking things into his own hands. He is no longer going to allow others to dictate how he will run and finance his business, and whom he will love and marry (or not marry).

As much as I have been very sympathetic to Mika because I know how difficult it must have been for her to break it off with Do Ha, but I felt Do Ha has been getting the short end of the stick. Being lied to for one. Fair enough that it was a noble idiocy of sorts , sparing him from early death. But what sort of life is he living now? One where he is in misery pining for the one person he loves but can't because he is supposedly poison to her.  How's that for quality of life? Very unfair to him. 

Then there's the crazy ex (but not ex )fiancee who thinks that blackmailing , threatening , and giving ultimatums will allow her to have her toy. Dear me,  she needs to admitted to some mental institution. Then let's not forget the creative genius JJY who can never see eye to eye with him. Even if I agree with JY's need to not settle for any actress , time is money and I can see why Do Ha would be exasperated. 

So there you go - that's me ranting on behalf of DoHa.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, triplem said:

Eps 12 was definitely better than the filler eps that was eps 11. At least in this episode I felt better for DoHa. He was finally taking things into his own hands. He is no longer going to allow others dictate how he will run and finance his business, and whom he will love and marry (or not marry).

As much as I have been very sympathetic to Mika because I know how difficult it must have been for her to break it off with Do Ha, but I felt Do Ha has been getting the short end of the stick. Being lied to for one. Fair enough that it was a noble idiocy of sorts , sparing him from early death. But what sort of life is he living now? One where he is in misery pining for the one person he loves but can't because he is supposedly poison to her.  How's that for quality of life? Very unfair to him. 

Then there's the crazy ex (but not ex )fiancee who thinks that blackmailing , threatening , and giving ultimatums will allow her to have her toy. Dear me,  she needs to admitted to some mental institutions. Then let's not forget the creative genius JJY who can never see eye to eye with him. Even if I agree with JY's need to not settle for any actress , time is money and I can see why Do Ha would be exasperated. 

This is one of the rare dramas I cant really fault either of the leads its crappy situation.I feel if she did  tell the compete true he would 100% would be next to her right now and that would made fer feel worse.

but it looks like none of that matters anymore in the coming episodes since they both share so much pain already. I also feel there alot more to this between them like he was meant to near her to prevent her clock from running out for reasons I think will be in their control.

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

tagging you because you watched Benjamin Button.  BB realized early that his life is abnormal. Instead of resigning to disappointments, he embraced the uniqueness of his life, its pain and fleeting relationships, to live his life as is.  He makes his own decisions, live with the consequences, didn't worry about if he will ever unite with his love.  When he finally meets Daisy at the right time, their love was fleeting BUT happy.  This drama is trying to send the same msg, though very clumsily.  Is life better if we can erase the pain?  Mika is thankful for the gift and love from DoHa.  She wants to spare him from the hurts.  What she doesn't realize is he knows his life is better even with the pain of losing her eventually because no one can escape death.  Some sooner than others, some all planned out, others unexpected like Mrs. Oh. 

I am certain that  Mrs Oh's death is a message from the universe ( if one were to believe in that sort of thing ) to Mika to stop worrying and to start living. Unlike BB, Mika has the added burden of being a time stealer where it  is not just her mortality at stake but his as well.  Which is why it was important that she tells him the truth about what she's observed rather than cook up a story to protect him. Because right now , he is not any less hurt. It's worse in fact

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

No it makes sense now, they both lost important people recently , now they both just want to live their lives together I am assuming.

No point in worrying about the clock anymore since it  seems to change base on random circumstances.

Ok, I agree with the personal loss,  maybe 2 episodes ago when Mr Park passed away then :D Mika is in a tough spot, she’s remorseful now that she found out her greediness hurt someone else.  In a way, she doesn’t believe she deserves his love.  She willed herself to be content with her situation.  What she worries about, him hurting even more when she dies, is her not living in the moment.  Don’t overcomplicate things like Mrs Oh said.

@nikir I love this couple.  Adore LSK and LSY, they are perfect together.  I really miss the fun and happy times in the beginning.  

@triplem Yasss, agree with you totally about DH taking over the control of his life.  For Mika, please don’t worry about things you cannot control. It’s a curse that she associated living with a countdown device. Even if it reaches zero and she is gone, it doesn’t mean DoHa’s love for her will end.  

@bedifferent @dramaninja I hate the writer for this angle - her stealing his time. It's awful.  I guess she needed to add some melodrama :D. But i am wondering if all this is just a test for Mika.  This ability is both a gift and a curse. It's taught her to value life and others. I think it has made her kinder than she already is. It's shown her what's really important and allowed her to focus on  her priorities. Given she also grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth she may have very well be as self-entitled as her brother if not for this ability. But at the same time, her whole outlook has been determined by the ticking of the clock. Imagine always seeing when someone will die especially if it seems prematured, but not having the ability to do anything about it. I'd rather not know.

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Eps 12 was definitely better than the filler eps that was eps 11. At least in this episode I felt better for DoHa. He was finally taking things into his own hands. He is no longer going to allow others to dictate how he will run and finance his business, and whom he will love and marry (or not marry).

Then there's the crazy ex (but not ex )fiancee who thinks that blackmailing , threatening , and giving ultimatums will allow her to have her toy. Dear me,  she needs to admitted to some mental institution. Then let's not forget the creative genius JJY who can never see eye to eye with him. Even if I agree with JY's need to not settle for any actress , time is money and I can see why Do Ha would be exasperated. 

Yep cant agree more..Doha has been lied to ..I expect him to get angry first when he finds out the truth..anger since Mika didnt trust him to handle it /decide on his own...just like everyone else is trying to decide for him..she decided for him..can't fault her..but he is really at rock bottom right now..his girlfriend also lying to him and deciding for him is the last straw anyone can take in the current situation!! I wonder how he will react ..joy yes..but anger ?

@bedifferent I guess most of us are watching coz of the  OTP..their chemistry is too good ...this is my 2nd kdrama and I doubt if I can find any other romance kdrama with chemistry and OTP like this!! 

@nikir oh wow, new Kdrama fan. :D  If you have time and are interested, check out LSK's last drama, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo... a wonderful coming of age drama.  Highly recommended.

DoHa needs to give her a big kiss and don't stop until she gives into his reasoning. :lol:

35 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

@nikir oh wow, new Kdrama fan. :D  If you have time and are interested, check out LSK's last drama, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo... a wonderful coming of age drama.  Highly recommended.

DoHa needs to give her a big kiss and don't stop until she gives into his reasoning. :lol:

Thanks for the recommendation.. will def check them out

@nikir I second Weightlifting Fairy, still one of my all time favourite dramas. That cemented my love for Lee Sung Kyung. She's the main reason I am here still. It helps that Mr Dimples Lee Sang Yun is the male lead here of course. LSY has many great dramas @sin hoonsim will have many to recommend. My personal favourite is On The Way to The Airport. 

I think like Do Ha who can't give up on Mika,  I can't give up on this drama as well in spite of me wishing the story had been written a little differently...:w00t:

11 hours ago, triplem said:

@nikir I second Weightlifting Fairy, still one of my all time favourite dramas. That cemented my love for Lee Sung Kyung. She's the main reason I am here still. It helps that Mr Dimples Lee Sang Yun is the male lead here of course. LSY has many great dramas @sin hoonsim will have many to recommend. My personal favourite is On The Way to The Airport. 

I think like Do Ha who can't give up on Mika,  I can't give up on this drama as well in spite of me wishing the story had been written a little differently...:w00t:

Good choice @nikir @triplem OTWTTA (romance and melodrama)

Highly recommended SangYun’s   Drama, tvN Liar Game & Twenty Again, KBS My Daughter SeoYoung & On The Way To The Airport , SBS Angel Eyes & Whisper,  MBC The Duo & Goddess of Fire JY.

But my love now, is focused on these two...

20 hours ago, triplem said:

@bedifferent @dramaninja I hate the writer for this angle - her stealing his time. It's awful.  I guess she needed to add some melodrama :D. But i am wondering if all this is just a test for Mika.  This ability is both a gift and a curse. It's taught her to value life and others. I think it has made her kinder than she already is. It's shown her what's really important and allowed her to focus on  her priorities. Given she also grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth she may have very well be as self-entitled as her brother if not for this ability. But at the same time, her whole outlook has been determined by the ticking of the clock. Imagine always seeing when someone will die especially if it seems prematured, but not having the ability to do anything about it. I'd rather not know.

I don't like this approach as well.  I detest how Mika is reduced into a weak helpless character, what's worse, a mute around DoHa.  Grrr writer. They had one of the sweetest talks on the bus.  He asked her to always stay with him unless he wavered and she was appreciative of his support. They were doing great talking things out.  She's fortunate to have found her one true love, many people are not as lucky.  Isn't marriage or love about sharing things, for better or worse?   Mika may have never imagined sharing her misfortunes with anyone.  Part is like you said, her kind nature of not wanting to hurt DoHa.  She just have to open her heart to receive DoHa's love without any guilt.  I think it was meant for us to see DoHa slowly regain control of his life as he will be the one who helps guide Mika through this current feeling of lost and confusion. 

3 hours ago, dramaninja said:

You know I think when she first bump into him she somehow gave him time.

Yes, you may be right chingu. Mika will sing again next...

tvN’s “About Time” has released stills of Lee Sung Kyung dominating the scene with her fantastic a cappella solo.

See Also: Im Siwan Shares Thoughts On Adjusting To The Military And His Experience So Far

“About Time” tells the story of Choi Michaela (played by Lee Sung Kyung), a musical actress who has the special ability to see how much time others have left to live, and Lee Do Ha (Lee Sang Yoon), a self-absorbed musical producer who comes to love her. In the recent episodes, she is trying to redirect the pain of breaking up with Lee Do Ha through intense practice.

Even when production of a musical is about to collapse due to conflicts between Lee Do Ha and director Jo Jae Yoo (played by ZE:A’s Kim Dong Jun), she continues to practice non-stop and improves her skills.

In episode 12, during Choi Michaela and Jo Jae Yoo’s “chicken and beer time,” she surprised Jo Jae Yoo with her sharp analysis of Yeon Hee, the heroine of “Yeon Hee’s Time Goes Backwards.” Jo Jae Yoo informed her of the possibility of a “new opportunity” by expressing his admiration and saying, “Your eyes really looked like Yeon Hee’s for a moment there.”

Now, still cuts of Choi Michaela auditioning in front of Jo Jae Yoo, “a moment of intense tension,” have been released. In the scene, Jo Jae Yoo makes a surprise visit to the practice room and suggests Choi Michaela to do an immediate audition.

Choi Michaela, who is summoned to the audition by Jo Jae Yoo without knowing much English, must interpret a song within 10 minutes. Jo Jae Yoo listens to Choi Michaela’s song with sharp eyes as she sings with a nervous look on her face. The next episode will reveal if “Super nervous Michaela” was able to satisfy Jo Jae Yoo’s “super ear.”

On the other hand, Lee Sung Kyung received the nickname of “Audition Master,” as she partook in her fourth audition in the drama. She performed “My Pink Lady” in the first episode, “As You Live” next, and Yeon Hee’s solo track in her audition to be the understudy for the lead female role. Finally, for her fourth audition, she sings a new song, “I Will.”

Lee Sung Kyung’s rich voice, which resonated through the practice room and expressed Yeon Hee’s passionate feelings with great impact, impressed the entire crew.

The production crew said, ‘”Choi Michaela’s endless challenges and passionate performance will move the viewers in a new way and immerse them in a different way as well. In particular, the upcoming broadcast will get the ball rolling for the production of the musical, ‘Yeon Hee’s Time Goes Backwards,’ which has faced many difficulties thus far, and leave viewers with a satisfying end.”  by Soompi.

Mika & Doha...too cute

how can I forget this scenes ^o^

@triplem @bedifferent @sin hoonsim binge watched On the Way to the Airport.. amazed at the quality of the story.. portrayal of the intricate relationships between the leads and their kids.. soul stirring music.. beautiful locales... never seen extra marital affair portrayed this way so beautifully.. makes one think about happiness love and life.. loved LSY ..

i think am gonna become a kdrama addict :lol:

Hello chingoo deul, hope I'm not too late to post something here. :lol:

Master in the house made me fangirling over LSY and started me to search for his drama. While waiting for new episodes every Monday and Tuesday, I'm currently watching Whisper! His acting was superb there and the story line and acting was soo good.  I can proudly say that he is one of my favorite actor now. :wub::wub:

Even though the drama was a bit lacking in some way, I really enjoy watching the chemistry between our two leads and the story line. I just had lost two of family members recently, it gets me attached to the theme of this drama; about time. You never know when your clock will stop ticking in this world and what's left would be either good memories or a remorse ones. Mika was so brave; I cried when she was washing her hands to erase the ticking clock, and how then she started to accept the reality and move on with her life; chasing her dream to be on the musical stage and even plan to leave some inheritance for her family.  With her mom and younger brother not knowing how to earn money and her father in jail, I do wonder how the writer will conclude this side of the story. There was so much gloominess and pain in ep 11 & 12. I expect the loving DH and Mika to face this clock stealing together in the next few episodes, no more separation writer nim!! jaeballl. 

Enjoy reading all of your insightful posts and can't wait for Monday to comeee. 

@7uckystar  welcome, please post more!  I'm sorry for your loss.  It's comforting to know that this little drama touches you personally. Hope things are slowly getting better. 

ahhh, I am watching Master as well, funny stuffs.  Glad to see he's gaining new fans, he's not a scene stealer there.  It's his quiet gentlemanly presence that can't be missed.  I actually like the ending of Whisper  :P

@nikir  you are too funny.  LSY has that look that make you believe his character is in love with the leading lady.  He has a natural acting style = his strength in melo scenes. 

Yes. Fighting Mika!  You can do it. Get that starring role.  

This is a nice article on SungKyung and SangYoon accompanying the Vogue photo spread.  I am not sure if anyone can help to translate.  @Nodame @stroppyse  I don't know if you can possibly.  Would appreciate just the gist of it.  Thank you if you can, no worries if not possible.

LSY talked about how he was emotionally drained after his last 2 dramas OTWTA and Whisper.  I think the works were very close to each other.  He felt he was overly ambitious in a sense and became slightly frustrated that he could not put out his best acting.  So he took time off to reflect and get some me-time.  From Sept-mid Oct on the advice of PD Park Shin Woo (Angel Eyes), he set out backpacking in France. I think he took the pilgrimage routes of Santiago de Compostela in France (which pass through many provinces, monuments, cathedrals, churches), widely considered as a Christian faith pilgrimage.  He just kept walking, resting and eating along the way in small towns and cheap accommodations.  Visited France and Nice as well.   Going on this simple trip freed up his mind.  The acting choices, how he wants to pursue project, became less complicated now.  He recently bought a used piano and planned to start taking lesson again after seeing SungKyung plays in About Time.  He wants to tackle the Pacific Crest Trail (in the movie Wild) next.  That's a gruelsome trail people but is life changing I heard.  He doesn't know if he can (it's a 6month trek from start to finish) but has bought a book from a Korean author who finished the trail. He likes watching superhero movies  like Avengers and Iron Man. 

LSK is the cutest.  (Someone please translate her part).  Her dream is to enjoy the precious moments with her loved ones.  She doesn't envy Michaela's time seeing ability.  She wants to live in the moment.  She wants to spend more time with her parents, even the simplest thing like taking them to coffee.

style_5b2df963548ab.jpg

http://www.vogue.co.kr/2018/06/26/about-us-2

7 hours ago, bedifferent said:

He recently bought a used piano and planned to start taking lesson again after seeing SungKyung plays in About Time.

I think the piano is the one mentioned in Master in the house when Lee Sun Hee was the Master. He bought it from Lee Seung Gi. So he is really into playing piano now. I hope I can see him playing a piano in the future. :w00t:

Archived