Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Ohh, this is just my opinions of GSH whom I love dearly as a character.  Others may disagree

Yeah. Everybody has different opinions. That's why we are here. To share each other's opinion. And yes I too love him dearly 

• Like 10

@bedifferent I just watched the finale. Real life commitments leave me  with little time to watch my dramas . :sweatingbullets:

I liked the ending - it was realistic and made sense. It is only a matter of time that Sangkook will be privatised. Sadly that's how the way things work . I think Goo has already known from a long time ago that he would be made the scapegoat. Anyone in management working for family owned conglomerates  will know that your high paying job and high level position is never a permanent thing  - anyone and everyone is dispensable. So he knew it was pointless to fight the owners head on.  And at 38 years of age , it would be silly to burn your bridges if you want to continue to be in the corporate world. So I guess this was somewhat a win-win solution for all.  I am glad that he is still running some other business- his talent in strategic management would be wasted if it wasn't. But I do think, his time here in Sangkook may have changed the way he looks at maximising profits at the expense of people's livelihoods.

While I know that this drama ,along with some of its cast,  is not without its detractors, I thought it was a good quality show. Perhaps not the level of Secret Forest, but good enough to keep me invested. After all it's hospital politics and management;  it's pretty dry and not really everyone's cup of tea. I like the human touch they tried to incorporate into the drama. This was probably the reason why the writer put in a lot of screen time for the Ye brothers. It is one of my favourite k drama sibling relationships  . SW's health problem was not addressed simply because it will be a long term one. What was more important was that both brothers find their paths in life especially for JW who finally let go of imaginary SW.  The scene of SW going snorkelling / diving for the very first time brought tears to my eyes.

giphy.gif

And ahhahaha, the writer did not forget Goo - LNE shippers. I actually like seeing President Goo smile! He's had to wear a frown or stern face most of the time. I do look forward to JSW's Shi Mok in SF2

giphy.gif

ohhhh and one for my dearest Lee Joon Hyuk :D.  

giphy.gif

Edit : this one is funny

Spoiler

Thanks everyone for your invaluable thoughts and input. Enjoyed reading you all. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 11

I'd agree with CSW that the primary strength of this drama is that it wasn't riddled with storytelling cliches. For a moment there I thought... "oh dear... don't tell me the show is going to go makjang on us" but apparently it held back and never went there. ;) I also appreciated the more realistic and complex ending. It wasn't a simplistic sort of good triumphing over evil which marks a lot of K dramas about corruption in high places. Life is complicated because people are complicated. It isn't an essentially K problem but a human one. 

With regards to health care provision there is no perfect answer. I think the show demonstrates that reasonably well. Anything that is put together by humans is bound to be flawed on some level. But at the end of the day one must ask the hard questions... of cost and benefit. Altruism is well and good. We want to speak behalf of those who can't and it's important to keep having those conversations in public eye without pretending that it's an issue that can be resolved by any side of the political spectrum. I don't doubt that governments use the issue as political football but that doesn't mean we should take a purely cynical view of the whole thing. Realistically though, the money has to come from somewhere and not just from taxation alone.

I'm trying to get my head around the negativity surrounding LDW's YJW character. But for me he is just an ordinary worker trying to survive an extraordinarily taxing workplace. He's trying to be a good doctor to his patients, a good mentor to his juniors and a member of staff in a hierarchical organization. I suppose that once he thought being a good doctor doing his best was enough. Under the previous director, perhaps that was possible as the elder was a father-figure. He's had to learn that instead of just relying on father-figures, he's had to be public about his concerns. Maybe for some viewers it's a no brainer. Of course we should stand up for ourselves but the reality is that most people are afraid of taking their concerns to management lest they be construed as being troublemakers (at best) or be asked to pack their things and leave. Some people have a lot more to lose than others. They might be the sole breadwinner or the main breadwinner.

I started writing this last week but I had to get away for the weekend and didn't take the laptop with me, not knowing if I was even going to have internet access. But I just wanted to add my 2 cents to some of the comments that have emerged after the wrap up of the series. I loved the LJH cameo and really I want to see more of him as the chairman's younger brother because I enjoyed his Dr Ye in A Poem a Day and would relish seeing him as a power doctor. ;)

I suppose I'm going to insult a whole lot of people by saying that this was a show written for adults and it should be appreciated accordingly. :D It's nice from time to time when a K drama treats its audience with respect. Still, it would have benefitted from having a few more episodes to accommodate the cast of thousands. I hope the organ transplant manager finds something he wants to do with his life once his recovers from his burnout.  :)

Anyway, many thanks to  @bedifferent for giving us the benefit of your medical knowledge and keeping the conversation going. Thanks to all the regulars on this thread posting news and images as they were rolled out.

I'll soon be taking a break from K dramas and may not make too many appearances on Soompi until 2019. Take care!

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'll soon be taking a break from K dramas and may not make too many appearances on Soompi until 2019. Take care!

Noooooo. Will miss reading you . 

I didn’t quite understand the dissatisfaction with regards to YJW’s character either . His was the character that I think most common folks can relate to. I did anyway.  I agree that most people would not dare go against management outright IRL. Even more so in SK where finding a job is not easy. 

Please take care & I’ll be sure to tag you if Lee Joon Hyuk is in Life 2 or SF 2 or some drama :D . 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

@triplem @40somethingahjumma  @staygold ahaha, we enjoy this drama.  Ohno, does that mean we are old ... :lol: cuz we can relate to the characters and their struggles.  LOL  

This is a drama to remember for the Ye brothers and Mr Goo.  Maybe we can answer JSW's question now.  Seung-Hyo was indeed a good person at heart.  I'm glad he met the right people at Sangkook who reminded him of who he is.  Sometimes it is hard for corporate presidents to not lose the human part of themselves to business.  After a while, you look up, the years have passed and you end up being the bad guy in the room without realizing it.  The ending is as realistically as you can get.  I don't doubt some viewers can be disappointed that we don't have a heroic ending where good guys prevail.  In LIFE, good guys win because they survived to fight another day.

I like that we don't have any true hero or solution in LIFE.  It makes us appreciate the difference in all of us and how we need each other to keep marching onward in life - whether it is through family, romantic love, friendship, etc.

It takes money, lots of it, to take care all of us.  The population is getting older, we are living longer, it takes money to keep us healthy.  Yes, it's true our life expectancy increased with help of technology and medicine.  This comes with a price tag which someone has to control and pay for.  We have to work together, not only patiently but creatively to solve this healthcare crisis and a whole bunch of other world concerns.

@40somethingahjumma  I will miss you and all your wisdom here while you are gone.  Will tag you if I come across any drama that is worthwhile. I kinda get what your taste in drama is... LOL.  Hope everything is ok.  Take care.  Please PM if you ever need anything.

Last photos for the memories :heart:

20180731_163846_3149.jpg

20180801_171018_7869.jpg

20180530_095009_1578.jpg

Spoiler

20180723_100522_3632.jpg

20180723_100527_7392.jpg

20180723_165931_7164.jpg

20180723_165940_0752.jpg

20180723_165948_5454.jpg

20180723_165956_2667.jpg

20180712_094948_2189.jpg

20180723_165921_6492.jpg

JTBC

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

For real. I enjoyed watching this drama. and I hope that someone can subtitle these BTS. Please hope someone can subtitle it :heart::heart::heart: Please:bawling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OXFE_qTsr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgV_T1LCVjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umOcN-aGHus&t=1s

• Like 1

@bedifferent

Thanks for the concern. There's nothing in particular but life's busy (a couple of big overseas trips in the offing) and I don't multi-task well. ;)

But if there's any drama that will me draw me out of hibernation it will be Bad Papa. For Jang Hyuk the action hero, I would be very tempted. Not right away though. :D

• Like 7

Finally I've been able to see the last episodes.

Well, just as it was already noted, Life is .... about life.

I appreciated the 'end' of ex- vice director, where he still tries to tell that maybe surgery is not needed, but if the patient *needs* it then..... 

By watching the varoious flashbacks and the 'source' of the money, it would seem that vice-director Kim told the truth... and sincerely ? I truly hope so :D

In the end the whole argument about money/dir. Lee was not fully explained, even the strategy to fight back was fading away. And even .... miss Kang... where is she now? Her whereabouts are unknown? Or I'm missing something ? We know that she must have had a chit-chat with No-Eul, but after that.... 

Poor Glutton... I kinda hated the nurse when she was so angry at him just because he 'knew' the president. It was just plainly unfair. The true glutton was her. 

One note on Ye brothers and the reporter: I loved the boat scene, but I understood that the reporter would have been happy to take a vacation... it was too soon to take her along? Did she forfait maybe? 

All along I had the impression that YJW and the reporter used each other in some way and that was it. Attraction? Yes, maybe, but..... and then YJW seemed happy when he see YSW and the reported chit-chat happily.... I love that the brothers had some precious time together (one week, because the soon-I-want-to-be-president-of-the-world had to come back to work) and yet there was a lot missing.

Sorry, I'm too old maybe, but I cannot stand YJW attitude... to cocky, too "I'm the right one, you are only a monster that needs to be slayed". Even YSW told him "Director Lee was not our father, and president Goo is not a monster". And yet YSW did everything. Even when it was his own director that asked him to do nothing. Where I work, someone like him would have already been 'beaten hard' (not phisically of course :D ) a lot of times even by coworkers, not only by bosses, and would have been fired or he would be still in the company still licking his wounds. Come on, telling a reporter all of the dirty stuff? Posting illegal documents? Fomentating coworkers about getting my boss to quit his job? And when nothing succeeded tell incomplete informations to write a scoop ? Masked 'ninjas' would have fitted with him much more than for dir. Oh (GREAT woman :D )

I hope that in the next work the writer (will it be SF2 ?) will have the time to untie all of the knots :D 

• Like 4

A very long thread to read, perfect for dramaslump times!  

I enjoyed a lot Life and wasn't deceived at all by the ending though i can see why it could seem anticlimatic compared to what the writing seemed to promise at the start. 

Not as compelling as Secret Forest in terms of plot  but still really  engaging when it comes to medical debate and social conflict. 

i agree with @40somethingahjumma it's a mature drama which renders very well the complexity of life through the absence of perfect and definitive solutions. 

On the APAN awards I can't express how much i'm happy for YJM! :w00t:

This man can  really play anything  from a charismatic leader to a monster to an humble man and get you sucked in his interpretation  in the most natural and effortless way.

He played  my favourite character on Life and his performance was just a masterclass in acting, which is a stellar achievement considering the incredible work he already did on Secret Forest.

For me it was worth a Daesang, and it's a real shame that he is still underrated.

Hopefully he will work again with the writer LSY and JSW: they really are a winning trio.  

• Like 3

Congratulations to Yoo Jae Myung!  He is truly a versatile actor, have not disappointed me in his roles.  In Life, he brings a weary humanity to the drama.  I hope marriage life finds him well @titania1000 hahaha

Whoa, unexpected win for Lee Soo Yeon given this was the year of Mr Sunshine. One which is historical driven and this drama Life which deals with social medical matters.  I watched both so I appreciate the quality and complexity of both as well.  Congrats to LSY, hope she continues to pen relevant issues for us to ponder about.

• Like 5

On 10/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, bedifferent said:

Congratulations to Yoo Jae Myung!  He is truly a versatile actor, have not disappointed me in his roles.  In Life, he brings a weary humanity to the drama.  I hope marriage life finds him well @titania1000 hahaha

It's truly a good year for him: a top drama, a prize and a marriage!

DpeW3ZKUYAAjY0u.jpg

His acceptance speech!

On 10/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, bedifferent said:

Whoa, unexpected win for Lee Soo Yeon given this was the year of Mr Sunshine. One which is historical driven and this drama Life which deals with social medical matters.  I watched both so I appreciate the quality and complexity of both as well.  Congrats to LSY, hope she continues to pen relevant issues for us to ponder about.

I'm surprised that everyone seems to be surprised that she won.

For all its flaws, her writing is still unique and on top quality level (very detailed as said by JSW) compared to other productions.

I'm only 3 episodes in Mr Sunshine and its flaws outweighs its qualities so far: the episodes are not enough edited and have a problem of balance, some parts seem disjointed from the rest and it lacks a soul. 

It seems a shiny, pretty object without the depth and realism of Life where the characters, good or bad, are nuanced and relatable.

This win seem fair to me and really i was the least convinced person that she could write  something good again after all my criticism of SF (which i adored mostly for the actors and PD).         

• Like 6

@titania1000 Mr Sunshine's mid segment felt long but the last 1/3 gave it a strong ending and wrapped up everything nicely.  I am not a fan of KES, have avoided her dramas for a long time.  Mr Sunshine is arguably her best work, given the scope and its importance.  Both that one and Life are not perfect, have obvious flaws, though should be celebrated for what they bring to Kdrama -  turning them into a platform for more important messages than just mere entertainment.  I think both writers did a great job and like both endings.  LSY is one of a few writers that are interested in speaking about the injustice and mistreatments in SK's society and for that, she deserves the recognition no doubt.

• Like 4

Congratulations to Yoo Jae Myung and writer Lee Soo Yeon.

I am looking forward to the writer`s new project. I like her writing style and her dramas. I hope next year she will have another script ready for us.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, larus said:

Congratulations to Yoo Jae Myung and writer Lee Soo Yeon.

I am looking forward to the writer`s new project. I like her writing style and her dramas. I hope next year she will have another script ready for us.

Based on her declarations before starting Life, her next project should be Secret Forest 2 if everyone  which means essentially JSW and BDN are willing and available. 

Studio Dragon have made too some declaration about wanting to continue this story in 2019.

On 10/14/2018 at 6:19 PM, bedifferent said:

@titania1000 Mr Sunshine's mid segment felt long but the last 1/3 gave it a strong ending and wrapped up everything nicely.  I am not a fan of KES, have avoided her dramas for a long time.  Mr Sunshine is arguably her best work, given the scope and its importance.  Both that one and Life are not perfect, have obvious flaws, though should be celebrated for what they bring to Kdrama -  turning them into a platform for more important messages than just mere entertainment.  I think both writers did a great job and like both endings.  LSY is one of a few writers that are interested in speaking about the injustice and mistreatments in SK's society and for that, she deserves the recognition no doubt.

I'm not feeling it (yet) in Mr Sunshine; but through SF and Life it's crystal clear that  LSY shows a vision not only of the world in which she wants to live, but also of what could fiction and representation do to change it.

I really appreciate the dedication and ambition that she put so far in her works, though it's probably because i also share her values.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, titania1000 said:

Based on her declarations before starting Life, her next project should be Secret Forest 2 if everyone  which means essentially JSW and BDN are willing and available. 

Studio Dragon have made too some declaration about wanting to continue this story in 2019.

Yes, I know that she talked about  Stranger/Forest of Secrets 2 . I will love to see it but, in the same time, I wish there is a new original drama too. I want to know what it will look like, the genre of her new work.

I wish the writer will explore new things but I say yes to seeing Shi Mok and Yeo Jin all over again anytime.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, titania1000 said:

through SF and Life it's crystal clear that  LSY shows a vision not only of the world in which she wants to live, but also of what could fiction and representation do to change it.

I really appreciate the dedication and ambition that she put so far in her works, though it's probably because i also share her values.

Aww, that is so sweet.  I love that you said this.  In these days and age,  it's good to hear people do still want to make a difference in the world that we live in.    Think I love Life primarily for what it represents.  I also forgot to say that the drama speaks medical terms well enough that I can overlook some of the technical errors.  I have to give LSY credit for her detailed and quite accurate grasp of the underlying tone, problem and medical issues.  She did her homework.

• Like 5

My favourites in this show were Oh Se-hwa and Koo Seung-hyo, I absolutely adored their scenes B) Of course Miss Kang was a highlight herself, especially her shipping Seung-hyo and No-eul. I also enjoyed Kim Tae-sangs mean character.

In general it was a solid drama, something you can definitely watch. I was just confused how the death of the director was made so mysterious, when it really wasn't. Anyway, I look forward to another show by this author. 

• Like 3