[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

larus

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Hii!! Glad to see you too here too!! :) It's been a while... what else are you watching now?

Wow, discussion is already on episode 14? Okay, hopefully I can catch up to 14 during this weekend to join in the finale week. It cannot be a quick and casual watch because I have to pay attention to the details, sometimes switching the subs language in order to understand better. As of now, I'm on 6 already. So far, I am enjoying how the story is unfolding.

I love how KSH just stared the doctors down to their seats at the big auditorium without saying a word. Reminds me of stern teacher who walks into classroom and everyone just goes quiet.

But then at the end of ep.3 (I think), the ending scene of him smiling with petals floating down under bright sun was just so out of tone with the rest of the show, although I don't mind seeing a smiling JSW. And with his character too... but then maybe my feeling was due to not knowing much about his character yet. I was on the fence, but seeing how he almost wanted to stop the old man from putting his seal on the document, then his interaction with the dog, his interaction with his mother, and esp. how his secretary stays with him and sometimes even "aegyo-ing" him, I think there's more to his character. He is definitely not heartless.

I'm rather disappointed that WJA's character is not given much depth yet. LNE is supposedly one of the main characters but I'm not feeling her "presence" in the story.... the same goes for MSR's character. But then again, I'm only at 6, not even half-way through, lol.....

I really admire how the cast from FoS can shed their character there and be so totally different here. Hats off to JSW, YJM, LKH... Great actors!... and to WJA and TIH as well from JBL.

Okay, back to the episodes...

Lol that scene with flower petals falling did seem weird. But JSW really brightens up the screen for the audience. 

WJA doesn't get much better (I don't really like her here) but her character does do some positive things for the hospital and favor in the for the hospital staff. MSR is great - modern feminist, her glaring is kinda funny:)

LKH's character is too precious:bawling:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@zky2007 welcome to Soompi and the thread. Post more! :D

Jin-woo's thrombosis is ongoing, chronic, resulting in multiple complications already... clots in his lung, clots in his veins, his valve and blood vessels are slowly being blocked.  Due to his condition (not able to circulate the blood effectively), he is at high risk of total blockage and lose his lower limbs.  The more concerning problem is that his clot can break off and travel to other parts of his body: lung, heart, brain and cause ischemia.  Basically he is a ticking time bomb if he chose not to do amputation.  Eventually, he won't have a choice against amputation but the sooner the better to prevent clots from causing a fatal event.

Yes, there are some technical errors. Defibrillator should have been used, gloves on Jin-woo in some scenes, HIPPA pt confidentiality with No-Eul, people enter exit sterile environment of OR like it's their living room, etc..

GSH won't die cuz writer LSY wants to live.  Netizens are scary. :lol:  Moon Sung Geun is awesome in this drama.  I actually sympathized with Dr. Kim's indignant cry when he felt betrayed by the physicians who have known him for years.  He's guilty of greed, ambition, which eventually leads to his compromising way of life.  However, he is not alone in living a life less than stellar.  Many other physicians in the room in their own way was a burden to the ex-director who must shoulder their problems.  Jin-woo's confrontation with Dr. Kim brings back memories of what ShiMok said in the last episode of SF.  For all the good intentions that LCJ had, he was a monster for taking upon himself the right to judge and play God.  Dr. Kim's own perception that he's doing the hospital good by bringing in revenues (no matter if it is through illegal means) to save all others who could not do their share is twisted.  I am with you on the sad fact of life that the older workers are being discounted by the incoming younger ones.  So in a way, I share Dr. Kim's frustration of being irrelevant for all the sacrifices he made for a place he called home the last 30 years.  I only wish his sacrifices were righteous so I can get behind them.  

Thank you :D

I didn't notice the note about the clogs in lung and hearth areas... the thing is that YSW is pretty much athletic (he was an athlete when he was a kid, and he struggle to do almost everything by himself, so he must have a lot of muscles in the upper body), so he shouldn't be in great danger if only he would choose the amputation (there are prosthethics if he is ashamed of living without his lower limbs). That's why I was puzzled by this 'he will be dead soon' idea and I thought it could be based on how the Korean society sees amputees.

Well, I must surrender to kdramaland rules, I think :D

I'm looking forward to see another of the movies or dramas in which Moon Sung Geun acted, he has a great mimic (like JSW) and a powerful voice.

Nice spotted the similarities with LCJ of FoS. I really appreciated Yoo Jae-Myung portrait of LCJ in FoS, maybe it's because of this that I appreciated the acting for vice director.

There are a lot of shady characters, but everyone tries to do 'good', in his own, sometimes secretive way. That's probably why it's a good and enjoyable drama.

GSH must be a good person; if he wasn't Mrs Kang wouldn't have worked for him anymore, after all of these years, I think ;)  (I simpy adore Mrs. Kang :D skilled actress )

LNE usually deals with kids, so maybe she doesn't even really know what's the meaning of loving someone. Maybe Mrs. Kang words will help her in acknowledge her feelings and maybe swallow some pride and try to understand why she was fired and why she was tailed.... Maybe. Let's hope so :) At least GSH has Nighty, if she's too childish to admit her own feelings ;)

• Like 9

I was praying for the time where President Gu, Director Oh and  Joo Kyung-Moon will join forces to save Sangkook University Hospital from Jo Nam-Hyeong will come soon and not fight each other. I can`t wait to watch the next episodes.

tumblr_pcvqhbkemX1sdd1ivo5_r1_540.png

My favorite scene was the scene from the auditorium where Dr Kim Tae Sang said a few things before he left. I felt sorry for him in a way  He was not a favorite character ( I usually rooted against him) but I am glad the writer gave Moon Sung Geun and his character a good exit from the show. Or maybe he will come back? :D

Lots of good comments on this thread. I enjoy reading this thread and watching this drama.

We are headed towards the end of the drama. I will miss it. 

• Like 8

I am enjoying the last 2 episodes as much as reading all the contributions on this thread. It was lovely to listen to JSW singing 'What kind of fool am I'. How appropriate.  Thank you! 

My heart ached for Prez Gu when after a long, tough day, he came home to his lonely room but at least there was faithful Nighty who accepted him as he was. 

I love the quiet ways the Ye brothers showed their love for each other. 

My next fav character after Prez Gu is Ms Kang and her conversation/justification with her boss after her supposedly drunk phone call the previous night was priceless. Haha.

I can't wait to see how Prez Gu, Director Oh and Dr Joo collaborate to bring down the powerful Chairman Cho!

• Like 7

I just finished ep.12... Gosh the ending was so scary, but it's too late (past midnight) for me to continue onto ep.13... Is this show turning into a murder thriller? I hope nothing harmful happen to Dir.Oh. Ep.12 was so tensed... I was on the edge of my seat the whole episode, I think, yeah, starting even from ep.11.

I was hoping that Dr.Joo will win the vote for director seat but had to agree that he might not be suited for the position just yet, not when CEO Cho is still up and about. Argh, I super duper loathe him and his college buddy CEO Hong. Such arrogant souls. Really hate that KSH has to bow down to him. He should be glad for the loyalty because once KSH wants to turn the table around, I bet he's got nothing to hold himself up. I can't wait for the moment that KSH turned against him and bring him down to nothingness. KSH is slowly growing affection for the people in his hospital. I'm sure he won't let Cho do anything to them. Don't mess with his people, Cho.

Really love our duo of Dr.Joo and YJW, and the trust they have in each other. They need more people on their side. Most importantly, the key is KSH. He needs to see that he is working for the wrong guy!! Go and report that haughty spoiled brat to his father, will you please.... I'm holding up hope that the CEO's father is at least a man with good values who unfortunately has a wayward son.

My heart bleeds for YSW... What a burden he has been carrying all these years. And yet he is a true survivor. He didn't give up on himself, but works hard all the same instead of falling into depression. Yes, I bet late Dr.LBH knew the truth. I'm very curious how the writer would choose to continue YSW's storyline...

Somewhere along ep.7-12 --- YJW's smile when he was dining with the reporter. How happy to see his smile. Such sweet smile. But it was too short... way too short... as he remembered he had a brother. Such a pity if he can't date and get married because of that. Was he punishing himself? That he shouldn't be happy because his brother could not be happy due to his legs? I did notice in one of the episodes, he was about to put his feet up on the coffee table but immediately changed his mind thinking it is rude towards SW who can't do the same. Ok, but later on we see unexpected speedy progress in the romance department (yay!) when reporter came to hospital and he comforted her, first holding her hand (okay that was a rather bold move coming from YJW :D) and then it progressed to hugging her, okay half hugging, but still... another skinship... I approve this ship :wub:

I still have much to comment but have to stop here and go to bed first. Shall continue soon...

• Like 6

Aaack, finished ep.13 and still no news of Dr.Oh.... :confounded:

ETA: Finished ep.14, still no news of Dr.Oh, but, after watching the preview, I guess she is the one at the door. I suspected as much but was wondering in what state was she in, but again the preview showed that she is alive and kicking, literally. I love that she is showing her fangs now, "don't mess with me!"... Just from watching preview, she has become my favorite character overnight. LOL...

Yes! That evil CEO will soon be brought down... hope everyone from the hospital will come out of all these unscathed. Can't wait for next episode tmrw! but I can only watch it on Netflix on the 11th. Need to find other source.... but for now, I need to rest my heart from all the tension in recent episodes :P

• Like 6

On 9/7/2018 at 11:14 PM, purpose said:

My favorite part. I love gangster GSH.

Me too :wub: and another gangster...Dr Joo :P 

Hey, why i can't even think that if someone tailgate you mean maybe he care about you auwwwwww :heart: some chingu mentioned this. Komawo! 

We just left with 2 ep. So sad..no more Goo Sajang-nim :bawling:

Forgot. I find this interesting. When the doctors asked why LNE being fired, Goo Sajang-nim just said that they asked too many...mmmm why? Can't reveal the reason or you just have no reason? 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, triplem said:

I understand LNE’s frustration - she was fired without being given a reason. Ahh it’s never easy to read the mind of a tsundere male ! While it’s clear that Goo is subconsciously affected & has some unspoken interest in her , it seems like she is only just realising that she may have some romantic feelings for him. As to my JW - reporter love line , it is cute how she reacted to him saying there are not involved..... YET. Gosh , I hope she heard the “yet” word. I think by the end of the drama that ship will take off quite nicely 

:wub::wub:

Spoiler

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/8/2018 at 2:24 AM, zky2007 said:

I didn't notice the note about the clogs in lung and hearth areas... the thing is that YSW is pretty much athletic (he was an athlete when he was a kid, and he struggle to do almost everything by himself, so he must have a lot of muscles in the upper body), so he shouldn't be in great danger if only he would choose the amputation (there are prosthethics if he is ashamed of living without his lower limbs). That's why I was puzzled by this 'he will be dead soon' idea and I thought it could be based on how the Korean society sees amputees.

There are a lot of shady characters, but everyone tries to do 'good', in his own, sometimes secretive way. That's probably why it's a good and enjoyable drama.

GSH must be a good person; if he wasn't Mrs Kang wouldn't have worked for him anymore, after all of these years, I think ;)  (I simpy adore Mrs. Kang :D skilled actress )

LNE usually deals with kids, so maybe she doesn't even really know what's the meaning of loving someone. Maybe Mrs. Kang words will help her in acknowledge her feelings and maybe swallow some pride and try to understand why she was fired and why she was tailed.... Maybe. Let's hope so :) At least GSH has Nighty, if she's too childish to admit her own feelings ;)

Right.  Seon-woo does his upper body exercise with his weights, the lower extremities risk can be reduced with the amputation.  Seon-woo's love for sports is one reason why he can't accept the amputation.  His face lits up at the basketball court remember? His legs are part of his identity, someone who used to excel in soccer and still love sports.  I think this is the hardest feeling for Seon-woo to let go.  To admit that he will never be able to play sports the same way again.  There are options available for Seon-woo to allow him to enjoy playing sports again if he decides to go ahead with prosthetics.  I understand your point. I am holding out hope that he will change his mind to prove to us once again that he is a fighter.  Like Jin-woo, he has to overcome his fears and insecurities on his own.  I do want to respect his decision for his own future.

As in many societies around the world, physical disability is considered as an abnormality which needed to be hidden and segregated in SK.  Although the government and citizens have made some infrastructure and building code changes to accommodate the physically handicapped, the main hurdles remained.  Society perception, prejudice, social/economic support have not changed accordingly or fast enough.  Even changes in laws are slow and not encompassing enough. Medical diagnosis and disability grading system in SK apparently are in need of revamping as well.  Through the Ye brothers, LSY has shed light into this part of the population that suffers neglect and respect.  Make me wonder how the haters to this drama can miss this point completely.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-korea-disabled-idUSBRE89O05X20121025

I love how the characters in the drama made the choices based on their own interests first yet are not absolutely resistance to change for the better later down the line.  I think that's as real as it gets for people.  Jin-woo finds he has the character to be a stronger person.  Seung-Hyo rediscovers the conscience he suppressed for his career.  Dr. Oh discovers how she can use her intelligence and inner strength to work and lead others.   Dr. Joo understands that he needs to push others to do the job instead of doing it for them.  The chiefs knows they cannot turn a blind eye against their own problems and learn to have accountability.  No one is all good or bad.

No-Eul seems like the Peter Pan who doesn't want to grow up in regard to her feelings with the men in her life. Maybe it is her defense mechanism for not having to deal with the reactions and consequences of her actions/words toward them.  I don't think she consciously realizes it though. :D

On 9/8/2018 at 7:29 AM, triplem said:

To me , Goo isn’t a “bad” or a “good” person so to speak . Remove the suit and he is a filial Son & dog lover :lol:. I do think he is a fair boss who knows the value of someone like Miss Kang. But it cannot be denied  he is ambitious and willing to do what it takes to climb to the top. Let’s face it , he ain’t in this business because there’s a noble cause. There are many of us out there in the corporate world who are the same-  we slave over our jobs in order to be rewarded with career success . But I guess along the way , he may have exploited loopholes & done some ethically questionable things to reach his goals . However he is no different from the doctors . He’s an employee too - -he too is serving a master . But I do think for the first time it hits home that he may not be able to accept  his master’s heavy handed ways.  

Hear hear.  To me, Seung-Hyo continues to turn a blind eye because there was no great cause for him to do otherwise.  Now that the line has been drawn in the sand and he is at the point of no return, Seung-Hyo has stopped climbing up the spiral staircase and looked down.  He's reevaluating his life and what he has done for Hwayeong and Cho.  I love this part about our anti-hero (is it too early to call him this? :lol:).  We are never too late to change.

• Like 8

Thanks guys for coming to this thread.  The cast and crew appreciate your patience and support for this drama.  We may be few in numbers but I love reading all your thoughts. :D

As JSW said, how many people would have the courage to fight for what they think is wrong instead of letting others speak for them?  He acknowledges the hard work by the production team and wanted to leave the viewers with a meaningful work in Life.  Regarding Goo Seung-Hyo, please judge for yourself at the end whether he is a good person.^^ 

LDW hopes for us to watch and cheer to the end for the medical staff who have to confront the power that is Hwayeong. YJM considers Life one of his best works.  In the end, he wants to acknowledge the efforts of the cast and crew in helping the viewers understand the issues and hopefully help to work toward a better society.  The end of Life is the end and a new beginning.  Won Jin-Ah encourages us to solve the hospital crisis.  Moon Sori would like to remember in the hearts of the viewers as part of the drama that focuses on the medical community.  Tae In-Ho sees Life as depicting the current political, social, humanity of our society.  Yum Hye-Ran who gained recognition for her deft portrayal of Ms Kang would like us to imagine what kind of choices each individual would have to make during times of personal crisis and what kind of life changes would come from them.

image_readtop_2018_568544_15365329093454

image_readmed_2018_568544_15365329103454

sportsmk

The beginning.

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@bedifferent 
I am so greatful that you are in this thread of all your review, news, your share thought and all comments.
English is not my first language. I sometime using google translate to help for double check  to undertand meaning. Your post translate into other language beautifully, which mean your type in english is PREMIUM.  Thank you 

I have read in twitter that last episode extend from 1 hour to 1 hour and 50minutes!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1