Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

To me, it was quite clear that NE has liked Gu, although she denied to Miss Kang. The latter didn't believe her as she replied that no woman would spend so much time with a man that she doesn't like. Striking is that only for NE, Gu had no reason for firing her... hence he moved and diverted the attention to something else. For all the others, he could find a reason, even if it was not the real reason. 

:wub::wub:

Can he handle her ?

Q8XWsFy.png

Spoiler

3F3sanL.png

IWjm9Xr.png

TZy5F4z.png

WQOr9Ik.png

• Like 13

I really do want to be part of the conversation here but I've been busy cooking most of the day. Anyway I'm exhausted so if I sound odder than usual... you'll know what it is. ;)

Some observations...

Why does the show want us to think that Director Oh has been kidnapped but does almost nothing with it? Is that supposed to heighten suspense? 

President Gu seems to think that he can resolve the situation by playing the bad guy. He sacks four key employees (termination is such a lovely word, isn't it) who were somehow involved in the autopsy case except I'm not sure how Dr Lee No-Eul was involved except that she's a close friend of Jin Woo's and GSH rather likes her. Apparently he is trying to protect rabble rousers except of course, that's not how they see it. I'm sure he's seen first hand the heavy hand of Hwayeong fall on individuals that don't toe the company line. And I'm also sure that he has a lot of dirt on them that could prove to be useful in time to come.

I was struck by how much of a theatrical bent the Assistant Director has. More so in this last couple of episodes than in the earlier one when he was exposed. The posturing, the hand gestures and the expression of righteous indignation. A true master of deflection. But he does have ammunition. He loves taking centre stage, hogging the limelight where possible, pointing fingers and raising his voice in accusatory fashion. I don't know if Jin Woo was really that wrong in calling in as a member of public to report the Assistant Director. He is a member of the public after all. ;) But Chief Kim's attitude towards Seon Woo is beyond appalling. 

As @triplem mentioned in a recent post, I too can't exactly blame Jin Woo for going in roundabout ways to get to the truth. It's easy to berate him for taking the coward's way out, so to speak, but if there had been avenues for him to report misdemeanours within the ranks without serious repercussions regarding his livelihood, I imagine he would have done so. Particularly when we witnessed how AD Kim was trying so hard to find out through his connections who had phoned in and bully Seon Woo. I have my doubts about whether an internal investigation would have been all that effective especially when the AD was practically calling the shots. I've heard on other medical drama threads that the professors often bully their apprentices/students and taking credit for work done by underlings so it's understandable that JW would be so untrusting of his colleagues and superiors.

More and more I'm convinced that the writer doesn't really quite know what to do with LNE. By all means use her as some kind of idealistic middle of the road voice of reason. I have no problems with that. But lately she seems to be tumbling into things, saying or doing things that have me uncomfortable or scratching my head. I would prefer it if she was actually romancing GSH or SW if it means directing her energies away from spilling her guts.

I think my favourite people in this show are the Ye brothers. What I especially love is their low key but clearly mutually supportive relationship. It's probably the most meaningful relationship on the show to me. They don't say much to each other and they often throw jibes at each other (as men often do) but it's so obvious that they would go through hell or high water for the other. What I didn't like was this unnecessary makjang reveal that has SW shouldering the blame for the accident. What was he? 6? 7? And why in the world did his father give him back the ball, knowing full well that he would most probably continue misbehaving? I don't blame a 6 year old for behaving like a 6 year old... but Dad's parenting skills... Alright... I won't go there. ;) But yeah, it does feel at times that there are two different shows airing concurrently. One about the life and times of the Ye brothers and the other has to do with workplace politics inside a university hospital. 

SW tells us he just wants to be normal guy living a normal life. He doesn't want to be pitied or immortalized or be pat on the back for being brave. It's one of the reasons why I like him so much. He doesn't carry around a victim mentality. So why the heck did the show think it was necessary to give us that flashback of the accident... making him look even more pathetic? Yeah... Kdramaland... just can't help yourself, can you?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@40somethingahjumma I was exactly thinking the same about YSW's father. Why did he have to give him back the ball? The father was the one who made a mistake, by lowering himself in order to retrieve the ball. Instead, he should have said that it was the right punishment: he can no longer play with the ball because it is too far away from him and he needs to pay attention to the road.

On the other hand, I can understand why SW would blame himself... if he had listened to his father!! I can understand why he would come to think like this. What bothered me was rather the reaction of the mother, when she said that she knew about it. What did she know? SW had never told her how the accident really occurred and even so, she should have said that her husband was at fault too.

• Like 7

Going through the last couple of pages, the biggest surprise to me has been talk of NE and JW possibly being some kind of endgame. I've got to say that nothing in the last 14 episodes that I saw even gave any indication of that possibility. Really close friends yes but romance... not so much. NE herself even made that clear to GSH that there's nothing between them. It was clear to me that SW was nuts about her from Day 1 and that JW knew it too. But what's really obvious is how different JW is when the pretty reporter is around. He's such cutie pie around her.

I reckon that LNE is drawn to men with power :P and JW is too much of a light-weight. ;) But there's no doubt that GSH is genuinely attracted to her. He's such a timid puppy around her.

For the first 10-11 episodes I thought the writing of the show was pretty solid. It's only really in the last 3-4 episodes, that I felt the writer going wobbly on us. To be honest I want the AD gone already. The man is clinging more robustly than a leech. I suppose I can't entirely fault him for trying to make his comeback at every opportunity since he thinks the hospital needs him and owes him.

Sigh... more often than not I wonder about the Knetz... It's as if we're watching different shows.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:14 PM, mimisl123 said:

I have been watching this drama since day 1 and love everything about it. But when I think back this story has no real purpose, it's a medical drama but then again so much different from the medical dramas we have seen. You can just keep watching it for the actors' performance  (I'm wasnt a fan of anyone before and I saw some for the first time in this drama)  even though the story sometimes doesn't make any sense to me. Personally I feel the story line is all over the place. Well I love it no matter what Ha Ha. Looking forward for tonight's episode. 

For someone like me who's gone through something similar in the past, I'd say the writer has got a really good handle on the dynamics of workplace politics. Apparently it's actually universal on some level. Not an east vs west type of thing. It's clear from all the shenanigans in the storyline that doing the right thing is hard because of all the pressure to survive and hold on to jobs. It takes a lot of courage and support to be able to stand up and be counted.

Frankly I find this show much more relatable than something like Gangnam Beauty and the issues that are under discussion in LIFE are real bread and butter issues. 

47 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

On the other hand, I can understand why SW would blame himself... if he had listened to his father!! I can understand why he would come to think like this. What bothered me was rather the reaction of the mother, when she said that she knew about it. What did she know? SW had never told her how the accident really occurred and even so, she should have said that her husband was at fault too.

I understand that too but as you say, if his mother had known about it, she should have tried to help him to come to grips with what happened.

But I feel that this whole aspect of the show was tacked on at the last minute and not thought through particularly well.

• Like 6

Thanks for all the postings...love it all..

I have  a lot to say especially with regards to the beloved Mr. Gu and Dr NE, but I decided to listen to the song that ‘Mr. Gu’ sang and ha ha ...it described Mr. Gu perfectly....:grimace:...

Thanks to @bedifferent..... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just finished watching ep14 with subs, with hubs.

During LNE & Mr Gu scene

Me : Urgh! LNE!!!! Yaaa!! Why can't you see that he cares! Wae? Come on, girl! We're only 2 episodes away! I can't turtle-egg watch this. It's too painful to be Mr Gu right now.

Hubby :: Awww, their first fight. 

During LNE, YJW & Pretty Reporter scene

Me : Ono ono ono. She's totally gonna think LNE with YJW.  Why so many misunderstandings? First LNE and Mr Gu. Now this? Gosh! What is wrong with this writer? Why are you wrecking all my ships!!! Why?!

Hubby : She's jealous lol. That's cute. 

I had a mental breakdown,

Hubby The end game is LNE-Mr Gu and YJW-Reporter, it's so obvious. Clearly Mr Gu likes LNE and LNE had her light-bulb moment tonight about her feelings towards Mr Gu. Your other ship, well, the only thing they need to do is to cut the sheepish-stolen-glances and just kiss already. So stop freaking out.

Me : (50% calmed down)

Hubby Now can I re-watch the episode alone, please? I did not catch the whole  joint-ownership thingy. That is actually very clever if he wanted to eliminate the corporation full control.. bla bla bla bla (This is where I walked away :P)

• Like 4
  • LOL 10

59 minutes ago, Jusyed said:

Thanks for all the postings...love it all..

I have  a lot to say especially with regards to the beloved Mr. Gu and Dr NE, but I decided to listen to the song that ‘Mr. Gu’ sang and ha ha ...it described Mr. Gu perfectly....:grimace:...

Thanks to @bedifferent..... 

@Jusyed what kind of music? JAZZ?

11 minutes ago, azuwaza163 said:

This is where I walked away

@azuwaza163  You both, I just can't :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, piekeboeboe said:

@Jusyed what kind of music? JAZZ?

@azuwaza163  You both, I just can't :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

@piekeboeboe I just watched and listened to the YouTube that @bedifferent posted . It was Cho  Seung Woo singing at one concert...and English song about How Fool Is He....have you watched it? 

@azuwaza163 your hubby is very quick thinking....:grimace:.....Hope his prediction of the love line that Mr Gu will be ended up with Dr NE will happen. I got confused when Dr. NE was about to yell again to Mr. Gu but suddenly stopped , was it because she realized probably Mr. Gu thought she likes him? Or was it because she thought that Mr. Gu think that she likes him and he likes her too? Lol!

• Like 7

About Seon Woo, his accident, his family...My opinion is that the parent-child relationship should be considered here in terms of the KS particularity, starting with the different degrees of addressing, in which the difference of 1 year of age counts, a country in which you are judged if you do not add the correct termination of politeness, in which parents have a say in almost anything about the life of their adult child, where even the big sister/brother can have an opinion more important than a couple's spouse. I think the feeling of guilt and responsibility is higher than other populations, the children grow up with the pressure to thank parents, parents who  made great sacrifices and then have great claims.   

Just compare how in English there is only one addressing  form  "you".    

I don't think this is a great fraternal relationship, that's why Jin Woo imagines Seon-Woo going; and Seon- Woo think he is useless; communication between them is desirable; no one says they do not love each other, but their relationship is far from being a great one. 

About Gu and No Eul, they are both attracted to each other :) , (my mistake if not) , and who would recognize his feelings in front of someone closer to the other side, when the feelings were barely palpable, uncertain and also in cold times between the two...

• Like 9

12 hours ago, wanda77 said:

I don't think this is a great fraternal relationship, that's why Jin Woo imagines Seon-Woo going; and Seon- Woo think he is useless; communication between them is desirable; no one says they do not love each other, but their relationship is far from being a great one. 

Hi @wanda77

I imagine that you must be making reference to a post I made yesterday with your comments here. ;)

I am sure that given our different experiences and backgrounds, we will have different views regarding a whole range of issues that LIFE deals with. It is a mark of good writing that a drama can generate good discussions among viewers.

The reason why I like the relationship between the Ye brothers is because despite the fact that they are both imperfect people and make flawed decisions, they are brothers who love each other and do what they can to protect each other in whatever way they can. Yes, I agree that they could be more upfront in their communication but even when they aren't, the other brother always understands why and respects the unspoken reasons. From my perspective, they respect each other's space and boundary lines while sharing a strong underlying sympathy between them.  They don't need words because they know that some things don't need to be said between. They know they love each other, they know they want the best for each other and they know that the other has his own individual burden... which no one else can carry for them. JW's fight is JW's fight. He needs to develop more courage. SW's desire for some normality and of course impending death is his fight. Each brother can cheer on the other but they are limited in what they can do for each other. At the end of the day, they are men and men choose to express affection in different ways to women.

As for JW's imaginary SW, he's had them since childhood because it was his coping mechanism in dealing with the tragedy of losing his father and losing his brother as an able-bodied playmate. JW, has obviously always needed a father-figure... which is why he latched on to the former Director and now to Dr Joo. But the more he becomes his own man and gains courage to fight openly, the less the imaginary SW seems to be needed. Imaginary SW represents something of his conscience in tension with his indecision being played out in technicolour.

SW is a hugely likeable character because he already has so much courage and warmth. His disability is a cloud with a silver lining. Because of it, he knows he is loved... greatly loved... and yet he desires independence and space... now at least we can see that he speaking up more and more about that need. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh thank goodness looks like our Dr Oh will come back swinging, hope to see her fiery spirit back up! Honestly, I was really concerned when everyone kept dropping little hints here and there that she was hurt, the one about her child and her family... but I think now it will be brought back as her mother bear instinct, she's been threatened and she isn't going to stand for that.

For one, I have to say, I'm a little bit confused by where our reporter-jin woo line will be going, looks like they've both owned up to using each other after all... Haish.

But, we got our brother storyline back up again, and look someone finally made the connection with the joint operations and the end of Sun Woo's life. I'm really sad though... ah why no happy ending for Lee Kyu Hyung again? :( Was really really hoping. I'll keep hoping, they said if he can get up and walk again, he could survive, please, if nothing else, at least have Jin Woo around more. Talk more, hug more, anything, (gosh if Jin Woo doesn't find out faster...) please don't let it be too late for them.

I do want to see a close to the entire death of the original hospital director Lee though, I can't believe it's been months but there's been no investigation?

Also (oops) I've been reading HAHA but I see most people find the autopsy picture stealing pretty unbelievable - I think the sd card might turn out to be a problem in the future. When Ms Reporter eventually runs their story, I hope that the photographer will be okay. 

[gosh, I found the ninjas after Dr Oh terrifying though, not on their own, but when she was so afraid I was afraid too. Perhaps the dress may be dramatic but imagine man, people dressed in black like that banging on your door in the middle of the night]

Lastly, President Goo - everyone knows he will turn good eventually, but ouch man, Dr LNE really took that personally. I think Jin Woo may have an inkling that the President has a reason for firing them (he said to his chief I think), so that is good to see.

[really last thing, come on, give the Organ Transplant Director Sun Woo Chang/Worker Ant more screentime. His 1 minute was so precious and important, he really shows the dynamic between the hospital and its management, also, please don't cause more people from President Goo's side to leave when everyone is turning against him.]

• Like 9

Please someone know what are they talking about in this video?:)

It seems that she continues call him sunbaenim and no Oppa. This is because in the last video He asked her why she did not call him Oppa? :P:P

Edited by zurubaab
  • Like 5
  • LOL 7

On 9/5/2018 at 4:54 AM, Jusyed said:

Hhaha, you know that song perfectly describe Mister Goo's predicament with Ms. No-Eul :lol:

If you look into its origin, What Kind of Fool Am I? was the last song in the movie  Stop The World I Want to Get Off in which the main character for many years, driven by his ambition, pursued his career blindly over family and friends.  At the end of his life, after so many decades climbing the corporate ladder, he finally realized his family was the most important thing and his most overlooked source of happiness.  The song was covered by many singers including Tony Bennet and Sammy Davis.  I also thought Mr Goo has some traits like the character in the movie/play.^^

On 9/5/2018 at 5:43 AM, azuwaza163 said:

Hubby Now can I re-watch the episode alone, please? I did not catch the whole  joint-ownership thingy. That is actually very clever if he wanted to eliminate the corporation full control.. bla bla bla bla (This is where I walked away :P)

Sorry to cut your hilarious post... I am you!  I didn't get it either.  I had to rewind to get the joint venture thingy. LOL

You should show him JSW"s singing video and ask him if Goo should sing to No-Eul the same way!

@bebebisous33 ok so maybe I am dead tired (with panda eyes like Jin-woo), I read about the joint venture, still slightly confused. Let's see, so what he is trying to do is have a non-profit teaching Sangkook enter into a joint partnership with for-profit Hwayeong.  If this was in the US, the non-profit Sangkook will end up  having majority of the control of the joint venture.  The venture will have a board established with more members from Sangkook than from Hwayeong to give the tax exempt hospital the control.  I think the IRS code requires that non profit has majority of the control and it must practice charitable acts in order to qualify for this joint venture.  So Sangkook would indeed be able to provide care to the low income and indigent patients like what Dr. Joo wants.  In fact, it has to by law (LOL).  The law also states that In the event conflicts exist between the hospital non-profit and for-profit company goals, the non-profit will be considered more important.   Is that how you read it? 

Bottomline, if Mr Goo can force the joint venture to happen, Sangkook will control its fate over Chairman Cho.  The million dollar question is:  What kind of blackmail infos will Goo use to force Hwayeong to agree to a joint venture and give up control of Sangkook?  Hehehe... the many years and many secrets he knows.  His winning hand could be the Speaker/QL/Hwayeong scandal.  If we end up with this scenario, LSY is indeed a really good writer of office politics.:D

18 hours ago, abyssal said:

But, we got our brother storyline back up again, and look someone finally made the connection with the joint operations and the end of Sun Woo's life. I'm really sad though... ah why no happy ending for Lee Kyu Hyung again? :( Was really really hoping. I'll keep hoping, they said if he can get up and walk again, he could survive, please, if nothing else, at least have Jin Woo around more. Talk more, hug more, anything, (gosh if Jin Woo doesn't find out faster...) please don't let it be too late for them.

Love your post!  IKR, Kyu Hyung :(

The last OST  for Life to be released on Sept 7th.  Antenna's Jeong Seung Hwan is lyricist and singer for this song about the Ye brothers.  

Jung Seung Hwan - 'I'm doing Fine' (Drama 'LIFE' OST) preview

Was this posted.  Making Of.

• Like 8

@bedifferent Yes, that's how I understood it. But I also noticed that GSH was looking for another company with the app. He is trying to get his own connections and stops dealing with anyone close to the Chairman Cho. In my opinion, he is about to get out of the shadow from Hwayeong.

• Like 7

Hi!! First time posting here.

What can I say, I loved FoS, the writing and production, a fan of JSW, WJA, LDW, so this is definitely not to be missed. What a great ensemble of casting! and a semi-reunion of FoS cast too!

I've only managed to finish watching ep.3, though. I know I'm so late into the series... it's so unfortunate but I was dealing with some RL issues and just couldn't afford the time to watch dramas. Will try to catch up quickly and also back-read on this thread (up to p.20 now) so I can join in the discussion.

Anyway, which episode is everyone at now? Since in earlier pages I read, subs are difficult to find or delayed. I have to ask this because I don't want to spoil myself by reading the recent pages.

Will be back soon...

• Like 8

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@bedifferent Yes, that's how I understood it. But I also noticed that GSH was looking for another company with the app. He is trying to get his own connections and stops dealing with anyone close to the Chairman Cho. In my opinion, he is about to get out of the shadow from Hwayeong.

Thanks, I remember the convo.  A joint venture is the best scenarios for Sangkook hospital staff esp the physicians in term of bonus, incentives to recruit those who desires to perform in outlying rural areas like Sangtong or get more cardiothoracic surgeons for Chief Joo's department.  Many medical entities operate these days and age as a joint venture (hospitals are non-profit and medical clinics as profit).  The profits are contained within the corporation to go to employees, partners... and vampire CEO Cho.  The Sangtong clinic is geared toward elective, preventive, and more profitable procedures which will channel profits back to Hwayeong and Sangkook to sustain the ER,Peds, OB/GYN depts.  I'm still curious at what Seong-Hyo is planning for the custodian building at Sangtong.  Something for the Seosan pioneers and millionaire grandpa/grandma perhaps.  BTW, where are my vet clinic and Nighty PPL?:)

Both WJA and YJM will be moving onto film and short drama.  Won Jin A earned the leading role in an audition over 120 actresses for the movie Long Live The King with Kim Rae Won.  Yoo Jae Muyng will be seen next in a 2-part JTBC drama Ping Pong Ball with Ji Soo.  I'm pitching the drama for this versatile actor here.  Congrats on his upcoming wedding in Oct and enjoy the break from work.

Spoiler

The online comments regarding Life have been more positive after episode 14.  The monologue between Jin-Woo and Seun-Woo tells a story beyond hospital politics, corporate greed, power struggles.  Such is a cruelty of life and our response to it.  When is dealt with hardship and injustice, some gather strength to continue on quietly while others learn take a stand to be better for others.  There are no clear heroes and victors, just people trying to come ahead in life with dignity and more understanding of each other.  

Screenshot 2018-09-07 06.15.19

JTBC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well it's hard to make another great story like SF :sweatingbullets: but still love this drama despite its flaws :D

I'm a little bit disappointed with the slow pace in ep 13-14, I thought it would be more intense for the second half of the episodes. I'm worried because there are still so many unsolved problems but we only have two episodes left :tears: Hope the ending will be satisfying.

My favorite part. I love gangster GSH.

Jw77UDu.png

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3