[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

larus

4 hours ago, piekeboeboe said:

Ik expect ex-deputy director Kim involved together with chairman for the death of Dir Lee.

YJW JSW and president Goo with solved this together.

I’m guessing Dr Lee’s death could be due to an illness with Dr Kim witnessing his last moment without lifting a hand to help.  It’s more due to inaction and negligence so to fit the theme of this drama.  Seon-woo will conclude his investigation on Dr Kim’s unnecessary procedures for reimbursements.

Hwayeong’s involvement in this whole mess I think is done through Sunwoo Chang.  I just cannot shake the name of his handle “Glutton”.  Maybe he was planted by CEO Cho as Goo’s partner, weird that they know each other and meet by coincidence.  Nothing happens by accident in Goo’d world :)  He’s been asked to betray Goo last episode by not helping Goo with the staff meeting.

• Like 4

Just wanted to add that’s it is also no accident Director Lee signed up for organ donation before he died.  Sun-woo has access to the donor list; thus rushed to the hospital the night of the accident.  Usually the doctors notify the transplant coordinator once they have a consented donor.  Sunwoo also pressured Dr Joo to sign the consent instead of waiting for the right physician to do the harvesting.

Just weird overall.

• Like 5

@bedifferent Maybe YJW doesn't want the first impression towards YSW to be pity, regarding the disability. In the end she might be a passing person through his life. 

@mimisl123 For me is a down to earth drama, about how sometimes how short and unexpected could be this life, about small gestures but with big  impact in others life ( a moment of  negligence, or decisions with different impacts) , or judging others without knowing anything about them; how a single word from ones mouth could bring pain inside our hearts. But, we could grow if we want to be better; if we try to understand and look around; running after money must not be the goal and must not take control over our life.

@Josh Marquez  About love lines I only read in an interview with Moon Soo Ri, but she said thet will be "some" between No Eul ,  YJW and  Gu , so... 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, wanda77 said:

@mimisl123 For me is a down to earth drama, about how sometimes how short and unexpected could be this life, about small gestures but with big  impact in others life ( a moment of  negligence, or decisions with different impacts) , or judging others without knowing anything about them; how a single word from ones mouth could bring pain inside our hearts. But, we could grow if we want to be better; if we try to understand and look around; running after money must not be the goal and must not take control over our life.

@Josh Marquez  About love lines I only read in an interview with Moon Soo Ri, but she said thet will be "some" between No Eul ,  YJW and  Gu , so... 

Well said. Thank you.

I understand everyone has different opinions and interpretations on Life, just sad on how the overwhelming criticisms could end up overshadowing the message this drama is trying to deliver.  Life is frustrating to many but isn’t it wonderful to see how people are trying to make the best of what they have and to treat others with dignity, respect and love. 

I love Secret Forest but am won over with how much heart Life has.

Regarding the pic, me too.  Part of me think he wants the world and all good things for his brother always.  It’s sweet to see him faking the annoyance.  But is it what Seon-woo wants, to be shielded that way, not too authentic in a way :)

The character chart is unambiguous at the kind of love line between Jinwoo and NoEul.  However, isn’t friendship also a form of love? :)

• Like 10

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Life" Episode 13

After dropping that confusing cliffhanger last week, "Life" opts for a little break from the power play kerfuffle in episode thirteen. What is obviously a move to stall plot progression leaves room for focus on matters outside of Sangkook University Hospital. While some of them are welcome, the series is increasingly scrambling for drama in all the disappointing places. Can "Life" find its way back before the end?

Seon-woo's (Lee Kyu-hyung) is truly a tragic character, but not in the way the drama wants him to be. I am referring to his designation as the show's honored guest for the pity party formed over his disability. Introducing his shorter lifespan, his sense of guilt, and his pain over not being able to date as romantic stereotypes require would not be problematic if they were done in order to explore the topics. Unfortunately, they are here for drama alone.

There are other issues with the episode as transitional filler. Se-hwa's (Moon So-ri) unknown whereabouts, Jin-woo (Lee Dong-wook) not picking up his phone for a large part of its duration, and other such convenient tidbits are very haphazardly trying to postpone the inevitable. It feels as if the creators injected all of this to meet the episode number, or accommodate for a possible sequel, and while I understand those pressures, the plot and story do suffer for it.

What these conflicts do offer is a moment of reflection and a further nudge for our characters to act towards the right direction. As much as I find forced misunderstandings in plots silly, the chasm between Seung-hyo (Cho Seung-woo) and the hospital rebels is something different. Jin-woo, Kyeong-moon (Yoo Jae-myung), and the rest can only judge the president by his actions, and our knowledge of his possible wish to protect them makes for engaging drama.

The ending is also promising, because Jin-woo taking responsibility for his own war has been a long time coming. Unlike what doctor Lee Dong-soo (Kim Won-hae) probably feels, it is not Jin-woo's fighting spirit which could be his undoing, but him alienating those who could fight with him. The way he responds to Tae-sang's (Moon Sung-keun) behavior will be the deciding factor in who will be left to shoulder this somewhat misguided fight.

I do fear that the drama can no longer become cohesive, due to the subterfuge now affecting what the series built before episode eleven, and due the little time we have left. The plot could have bridged the chasm between Seung-hyo and the rest before tackling Jo Nam-hyeong (Jung Moon-sung), but by making him an active threat so late into the game, we are now left meandering. I wish "Life"had made better choices for the final stretch.

"Life" is directed by Hong Jong-chanand Lim Hyeon-wook , written by Lee Soo-yeon-I, and features Lee Dong-wookCho Seung-wooWon Jin-ahand Yoo Jae-myung.

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

HanCinema

• Like 1

So I haven't watched the recent episodes but from what I have read about No-eul and Gu's love story/track - I think it was purely one sided. Gu liked her but she never looked at him that way ( my own observations), she treated him more as a friend/acquaintance/boss- colleague. Someone who can work positively and bring change in the hospital. She used Gu as a ray of hope and he did do some things positive for the hospital staff (especially the departments she is associated with ). He is probably one of the first people that worked for the hospital staff not against them regardless of the ways he has used or tried to market Hwaejong's businesses ( that is part of his job- he still represents Hwaejong and he still has to sell them to the public). 

Another thing about No- eul's character is that she is too casual with everyone. She doesn't care for romantic relationships yet - unless until now - with Ye Jin Woo. Maybe that was the intention of Lee Seo Yeon (writer) from the beginning. The only reason why Gu was given feels by the writer is to show him as normal as possible. He's a normal middle class guy who worked his way up on a merit basis and his intelligence. Lee Seo Yeon even made him relatable by making middle aged guy living with his parents in a normal house (not some elite studio apartment by himself). 

And maybe Ye Jin woo and No-eul always had feelings for each other. They are very close to each other, know pretty much everything about each other and them being together makes sense. They seem meant to be, regardless of the fact that Jin woo has tried his best to get Seon- woo and No-eul together. 

• Like 5

AGB Nielsen Ratings

Episode 1 (7/23/18):  4.334%

Episode 2 (7/24/18):   4.974%

Episode 3 (7/30/18):   4.601%

Episode 4 (7/31/18):   4.493%

Episode 5 (8/6/18):     4.328%

Episode 6 (8/7/18):     4.466%

Episode 7 (8/13/18):   4.116%

Episode 8 (9/14/18):   4.591%

Episode 9 (8/20/18):    4.538%

Episode 10 (8/21/18):  5.150%

Episode 11 (8/27/18):  4.532%

Episode 12 (8/28/18):  5.310%

Episode 13 (9/3/18):    4.920%

Episode 14 (9/4/18):    5.093%

Source

@msaamia ohhhh I like your take on middle age CSW :ph34r: Well, I blame No Eul for those lingering glances for giving us false hope. Damn those elevators and Ms Kang, she’s so nosy! :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

hmn. I still don't get why so many people ship NoEul and JW?! in episode 14, out of his own mouth YJW said the reporter is not his girlfriends...yet (with a hopeful pause) When ever the reporter around YJW light up like a christmas tree (considering he is always gloomy). When the reporter went back to doing business, YJW react like someone has taken all the air out of his balloon. 

I did not realize how many people so "protective" of Jo Seung Woo's character. His next female partner character has to be cool like a cucumber - Bae Do Na's character in Secret Forest. 

I see NoEul may be too friendly, and it gives off wrong vibe that who isn't close like YJW. She and YJW even discuss that they shouldn't leave company dinner at the same time. YJW said some where along the line of who cares - not new - doesn't effect you before. Maybe because of this carefree attitude that's why she doesn't consider her actions. 

• Like 9

OMG. I enjoyed so much today episode. I think they subestimated the doctors, Chairman and Ms Gu.  And know everything would come out on the last right everyone against the Chairman and his minions. Can't wait for Monday. And with the brothers relationship, love, work and health I don't know what to think. I am going to wait until next week not nervious but ecxited.    

11 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Just wanted to add that’s it is also no accident Director Lee signed up for organ donation before he died.  Sun-woo has access to the donor list; thus rushed to the hospital the night of the accident.  Usually the doctors notify the transplant coordinator once they have a consented donor.  Sunwoo also pressured Dr Joo to sign the consent instead of waiting for the right physician to do the harvesting.

Just weird overall.

Ooohh... I think you just got a great point. After reading this I went back and saw again the first 2 episodes. And yes there is a small scene in wich the transplant situation and the actions of the people involved are seen. I don't think the director and writter develop this scene with out an intention and meaning behind it.  The late director death could have been planed  in advance and benefit of the chairmand and other. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit your previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 7

I see it as No Eul & Gu are not aware of the reason of their attraction to each other. But Secretary Kang is right, if you don't like someone you don't even want to hear their voice. After today, NoEul has some realization to do.

No Eul may not be a cool cucumber, but she is so warm, caring, open and lovely. No Eul has great effect on Gu, I would argue the 1st and greatest effect on Gu. At 1st Gu is a numbers businessman, thinking of getting ride of the 4 lowest revenue department. It's NoEul who show Gu the more important work beyond money - showing how precious life can be (with the baby grasping the finger - that was precious!) That's when he began to change! NoEul basically save the pediatric department.

The walk with the dog, she wants to know his true personality & motive, what he thinks, doesn't he want something more than making money - before that everyone just want a piece of him for their own interest. Also little interactions like eating breakfast &  chearing up that it will pass, it's natural to develop of care for each other, no? He thoughts No Eul was rejected by YJW, but still went back to console her to stop crying (that's not the cold businessman from epi 2). I would argue she's a big catalyst for him wanting to do the morally right thing. 

Romance or not (yet), he gains a" someone" who cares about him - it's natural that he wants to protect her, from firing and put extra effort to be discrete - telling driver to tail her, trying to keep her safe. All of those interactions combined - changes Gu perspective - to the point he doesn't like it that he has shown a bad side of him to her. Constrasting to episode 7 when he couldn't have  care what others think of him, as long as result still the same. You can't get more constrasting  - that's good writing. Gu just needs to drop the bad boy img - just show her the truth. 

• Like 11

@Ha Tinh Nhi  ha, you devoted 2 long posts to No-Eul/Seung-Hyo love line! I have nothing more to add.  I did squeal when Gu lost his cool in the drive back.  This guy didn't even blink or went one octave up in his voice when confronted with embattled chiefs and an angry ER doc but with her...  She was so feisty. :lol:  

I didn't know how writer-nim was going to end Seon-woo's story so today's episode was a pleasant surprise for me.  A lot of Life's scenes are delivered in a very delicate way, this one is a perfect example.  In this episode, we get to see Jin-woo giving his brother a private showing of something he loves, the sea.  Seon-woo has resigned to the fact that he can only see its beauty on TV.  Experience it in person is not a possibility. Jin-woo is finally told of his brother's health condition through Seung-Hyo and instead of asking him directly, he just wanted Seon-woo's remaining time to be a joyful one.  For Seon-woo who never thought his brother was awared of his interests, it touched his heart so.  They don't talk much as Jin-woo often crashed when he gets home from long night shifts so Seon-woo thought.  It was touching to see Seon-woo realizing how much love his brother has for him.  We see him spellbound by sheer wonder as he immersed himself into the sea along with the wheelchair diver. Their conversation afterward made me teared up.  Jin-woo complimented his younger brother on how remarkable his life is for the things he have accomplished.  He’s an inspiration for many people with disabilities who will be encouraged to pursue their dreams the same way. There was pride in his quivering voice.  We didn't get to see Jin-woo's tears until the end but we saw his arm moved to wipe them away.  Seon-woo asked his brother to push him, something he rarely does as an adult.  Seon-woo didn't think his life as anything special.  As we listened to their conversation, we realized Seon-woo has made up his mind to decline amputation.  He has made peace with a life he deemed joyless and welcome the end whenever it is.  I know some viewers may feel the scene is manipulative and a little contrived but for me, it was a lovely moment between two brothers.

My dear Ajusshi.  JSW and his tight-fitted shirt. :lol::blush::heart:

Screenshot 2018-09-04 21.30.51Screenshot 2018-09-04 21.30.20Screenshot 2018-09-04 21.30.31

Spoiler

Screenshot 2018-09-04 21.30.41

JTBC

Listening to this again... :D

• Like 12

@bedifferent In the episode 14, we can see that GSH is already thinking about cutting ties with Hwayeong Group as he asked his secretary to find out if a non-profit corporation can change the ownership of its real estate to joint ownership either via trusts or donations. Here it is clear that when Gu mentions the non-profit corporation, he means SangH. Hospital and if there is a joint ownership through trust/donations, it means that the chairman is no longer the only owner of the Hospital. That way, the hospital can escape from the claws of the Chairman. So by creating a joint ownership of the real estate, he makes sure that the chairman has no longer any saying in what happens at the hospital as he is no longer the only owner.

To me, it was quite clear that NE has liked Gu, although she denied to Miss Kang. The latter didn't believe her as she replied that no woman would spend so much time with a man that she doesn't like. Striking is that only for NE, Gu had no reason for firing her... hence he moved and diverted the attention to something else. For all the others, he could find a reason, even if it was not the real reason.   

• Like 13

@bedifferent..he he, now looking back, i went over board:sweat_smile:. I should have step back, you have great way with words...reading your comment make me love Life even more.  My whole 2018 summer has been with Life, how can I go on after next week? :bawling: without President Gu in crisp 3 pieces suit, in 2 pieces: roll up sleeves shirt, vest ( & loosen tie), and in casual outfit with a hat & Nighty...:blush:

It's just i ship them but they simmer for so long, and now they fighting with only 2 episodes left...I was rooting for more actions.:flushed: (eversince he's back from military, JSW does no romantic scene, this is probably the biggest thing to a romance drama that he will do) 

President Gu shows his soft side only to her...now misunderstanding...exchange of hurtful words...President Gu is hurt, he thinks she would think of him differently, not just businessman (coming back to the conversation in episode 7) 

tumblr_pekmpaiUR31sstjovo1_540.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_pekmpaiUR31sstjovo3_540.jpgtumblr_pekmpaiUR31sstjovo4_540.jpgtumblr_pekmpaiUR31sstjovo5_540.jpg

tumblr_pekmpaiUR31sstjovo6_540.jpg

Break my heart even more, why don't you?!:confounded::heartbreak:

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

To me, it was quite clear that NE has liked Gu, although she denied to Miss Kang. The latter didn't believe her as she replied that no woman would spend so much time with a man that she doesn't like. Striking is that only for NE, Gu had no reason for firing her... hence he moved and diverted the attention to something else. For all the others, he could find a reason, even if it was not the real reason. 

:wub::wub:

Can he handle her ?

Q8XWsFy.png

Spoiler

3F3sanL.png

IWjm9Xr.png

TZy5F4z.png

WQOr9Ik.png

• Like 12

I really do want to be part of the conversation here but I've been busy cooking most of the day. Anyway I'm exhausted so if I sound odder than usual... you'll know what it is. ;)

Some observations...

Why does the show want us to think that Director Oh has been kidnapped but does almost nothing with it? Is that supposed to heighten suspense? 

President Gu seems to think that he can resolve the situation by playing the bad guy. He sacks four key employees (termination is such a lovely word, isn't it) who were somehow involved in the autopsy case except I'm not sure how Dr Lee No-Eul was involved except that she's a close friend of Jin Woo's and GSH rather likes her. Apparently he is trying to protect rabble rousers except of course, that's not how they see it. I'm sure he's seen first hand the heavy hand of Hwayeong fall on individuals that don't toe the company line. And I'm also sure that he has a lot of dirt on them that could prove to be useful in time to come.

I was struck by how much of a theatrical bent the Assistant Director has. More so in this last couple of episodes than in the earlier one when he was exposed. The posturing, the hand gestures and the expression of righteous indignation. A true master of deflection. But he does have ammunition. He loves taking centre stage, hogging the limelight where possible, pointing fingers and raising his voice in accusatory fashion. I don't know if Jin Woo was really that wrong in calling in as a member of public to report the Assistant Director. He is a member of the public after all. ;) But Chief Kim's attitude towards Seon Woo is beyond appalling. 

As @triplem mentioned in a recent post, I too can't exactly blame Jin Woo for going in roundabout ways to get to the truth. It's easy to berate him for taking the coward's way out, so to speak, but if there had been avenues for him to report misdemeanours within the ranks without serious repercussions regarding his livelihood, I imagine he would have done so. Particularly when we witnessed how AD Kim was trying so hard to find out through his connections who had phoned in and bully Seon Woo. I have my doubts about whether an internal investigation would have been all that effective especially when the AD was practically calling the shots. I've heard on other medical drama threads that the professors often bully their apprentices/students and taking credit for work done by underlings so it's understandable that JW would be so untrusting of his colleagues and superiors.

More and more I'm convinced that the writer doesn't really quite know what to do with LNE. By all means use her as some kind of idealistic middle of the road voice of reason. I have no problems with that. But lately she seems to be tumbling into things, saying or doing things that have me uncomfortable or scratching my head. I would prefer it if she was actually romancing GSH or SW if it means directing her energies away from spilling her guts.

I think my favourite people in this show are the Ye brothers. What I especially love is their low key but clearly mutually supportive relationship. It's probably the most meaningful relationship on the show to me. They don't say much to each other and they often throw jibes at each other (as men often do) but it's so obvious that they would go through hell or high water for the other. What I didn't like was this unnecessary makjang reveal that has SW shouldering the blame for the accident. What was he? 6? 7? And why in the world did his father give him back the ball, knowing full well that he would most probably continue misbehaving? I don't blame a 6 year old for behaving like a 6 year old... but Dad's parenting skills... Alright... I won't go there. ;) But yeah, it does feel at times that there are two different shows airing concurrently. One about the life and times of the Ye brothers and the other has to do with workplace politics inside a university hospital. 

SW tells us he just wants to be normal guy living a normal life. He doesn't want to be pitied or immortalized or be pat on the back for being brave. It's one of the reasons why I like him so much. He doesn't carry around a victim mentality. So why the heck did the show think it was necessary to give us that flashback of the accident... making him look even more pathetic? Yeah... Kdramaland... just can't help yourself, can you?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@40somethingahjumma I was exactly thinking the same about YSW's father. Why did he have to give him back the ball? The father was the one who made a mistake, by lowering himself in order to retrieve the ball. Instead, he should have said that it was the right punishment: he can no longer play with the ball because it is too far away from him and he needs to pay attention to the road.

On the other hand, I can understand why SW would blame himself... if he had listened to his father!! I can understand why he would come to think like this. What bothered me was rather the reaction of the mother, when she said that she knew about it. What did she know? SW had never told her how the accident really occurred and even so, she should have said that her husband was at fault too.

• Like 6

Going through the last couple of pages, the biggest surprise to me has been talk of NE and JW possibly being some kind of endgame. I've got to say that nothing in the last 14 episodes that I saw even gave any indication of that possibility. Really close friends yes but romance... not so much. NE herself even made that clear to GSH that there's nothing between them. It was clear to me that SW was nuts about her from Day 1 and that JW knew it too. But what's really obvious is how different JW is when the pretty reporter is around. He's such cutie pie around her.

I reckon that LNE is drawn to men with power :P and JW is too much of a light-weight. ;) But there's no doubt that GSH is genuinely attracted to her. He's such a timid puppy around her.

For the first 10-11 episodes I thought the writing of the show was pretty solid. It's only really in the last 3-4 episodes, that I felt the writer going wobbly on us. To be honest I want the AD gone already. The man is clinging more robustly than a leech. I suppose I can't entirely fault him for trying to make his comeback at every opportunity since he thinks the hospital needs him and owes him.

Sigh... more often than not I wonder about the Knetz... It's as if we're watching different shows.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:14 PM, mimisl123 said:

I have been watching this drama since day 1 and love everything about it. But when I think back this story has no real purpose, it's a medical drama but then again so much different from the medical dramas we have seen. You can just keep watching it for the actors' performance  (I'm wasnt a fan of anyone before and I saw some for the first time in this drama)  even though the story sometimes doesn't make any sense to me. Personally I feel the story line is all over the place. Well I love it no matter what Ha Ha. Looking forward for tonight's episode. 

For someone like me who's gone through something similar in the past, I'd say the writer has got a really good handle on the dynamics of workplace politics. Apparently it's actually universal on some level. Not an east vs west type of thing. It's clear from all the shenanigans in the storyline that doing the right thing is hard because of all the pressure to survive and hold on to jobs. It takes a lot of courage and support to be able to stand up and be counted.

Frankly I find this show much more relatable than something like Gangnam Beauty and the issues that are under discussion in LIFE are real bread and butter issues. 

47 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

On the other hand, I can understand why SW would blame himself... if he had listened to his father!! I can understand why he would come to think like this. What bothered me was rather the reaction of the mother, when she said that she knew about it. What did she know? SW had never told her how the accident really occurred and even so, she should have said that her husband was at fault too.

I understand that too but as you say, if his mother had known about it, she should have tried to help him to come to grips with what happened.

But I feel that this whole aspect of the show was tacked on at the last minute and not thought through particularly well.

• Like 5