[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

larus

More photos/random thoughts:

• How did assistant Kyung-Ah come to work with Seung-Hyo?  She's compassionate, is a dog person and acutely capable at her job. 

Screenshot 2018-08-16 21.03.34

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.49.32Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.48.26

• LOL at how Seung-Hyo told his assistant he would go home and headed straight to the hospital.  Who's taking care of Nighty?  Please be a responsible dog owner Seung-Hyo and walk her.
  • I LOVE how JSW made corporate human.  Please give him both human and animal love lines. ** dodge @annagriss8 **
  • President Goo is a night person but I like JSW with bangs up. I like how he gets to know the hospital by walking it.   There's less voices at night to muddle your mind.
  • Please get our characters back to the OR, ER, Peds wards.   More blood and surgery please.
  • Dr. Oh is a perfectionist and demands excellence from her students.  Lucky them.
  • Pediatricians are the most upbeat pleasant people that I know and No-Eul is no exception. 
  • Seon-Woo's pain killers :( Porque?
  • Couch scene, phone scenes x 2 - LDW, you made me love you.
  • Seon-woo's confession is the stuff Jin-Woo is handicapped at.
  • Why is Sunwoo Chang's moniker "Gluttony"?  Does anyone know?
Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.50.42

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.50.14Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.48.57Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.49.05Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.50.07

• One family's tragedy is another's miracle.  Organ donation is the most selfless act you can give to another person. There's no end to the gratitude of the person on the receiving end.  Sunwoo Chang is a misunderstood person.  
  • It's good that Seon-Woo confessed.  He needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and his chances.  
  • Adore how Seong-Hyo is a good son.  Love the reverse in power once he is at home.
  • Mom would be proud of the Ye brothers if she was in the room.  She raised them well.
  • Crossing fingers and toes Seung-Hyo will be the most excellent president for Sangook.
Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.46.40
Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-08-16 19.46.53

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@bedifferent thank you for your post - it is a plastic of pills for me to swallow while waiting for next episode.:D

I  am just thinking what will be Dr. NE answers to  Seon Woo's confession. Will it be :heart: or :heartbreak: ?  I pity Seon Woo if it is :heartbreak: but I hope if it is :heartbreak:their established relationship won't be break up. I just don't think at this point Dr. NE will accept his feeling. Hopefully, Dr. NE can handle him well. 

I have a friend who has posses this kind of nature, warm-hearted, caring and act like motherly or sisterly to all people around her most of the times. Dr. NE posses this personality that makes people around her like her or even falls for her. 

I just love secretary Ms Kang - love her sharpness and her relationship with Mr Gu......

• Like 5

@bedifferent , the best analysis I've read so far.

Just an opinion: I have the feeling that Gu will not approve dr. Joo as director, dr.Oh provided better qualities for this position; defended her department from restructuring team asking for official document, holding lectures for residents in her free time, keeping her team under control and supervising everything. 

As you said dr. Gu needs to survive himself so, as said in the previews, he always has a backup plan; because... he always lived like that? Watching his back not to make mistakes and being fired, who knows what layers remain to discover regarding  his character.

Seon Woo, I don't want to pity more than that his character... The actor proved once again that stage actors bring something more to their characters, despite the conviction that they might overact.

No Eul, I need some more for making an impression on her character or her acting.

1 hour ago, Jusyed said:

I just love secretary Ms Kang - love her sharpness and her relationship with Mr Gu......

Me too... and I didn't think it will be an interesting character before the drama started. Severe mistake...

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Organ donation is the most selfless act

This subject is very sensitive, more when is about children; is hard to care about other people grieving...,when yours is beyond imagination ...the thought that you decided the end moment... I don't want to even think...

More blood and surgery please

Was said previous that this will not be that kind of drama.

It's good that Seon-Woo confessed

I think he might know the answer, but he doesn't want to be treated/cared like a child by No Eul.

22 hours ago, piekeboeboe said:

the viewer didn't hate love line but because of the way they delivery.

Maybe wasn't explicit enough why No Eul was attracted by Gu, is clear that she finds him interesting, and he became curious because of her attitude.

Edited by triplem
Merged consecutive posts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: LIFE, THIRTY BUT SEVENTEEN, RISKY ROMANCE, WITCH’S LOVE, YOUR HONOR, TIME

What’s It About? This drama is about the power struggle within a hospital following a suspicious death of a senior medical staff.

The Good The greatest strength of the pilot episode which was actually the one that kept the plot moving is the mystery around the suspicious death of senior hospital staff Lee Bo-hoon (Chun Ho-jin) who’s known for his good ethics. The incident triggered a lot of tension between the staff who have warring values and views but it’s a matter of time before we can tell who the good guys are and who are not. The two lead actors, Lee Dong-wook and Jo Seung-woo both have a very strong screen presence playing an ER department doctor and the hospital’s new chief, respectively and these two completely look like they are neither good nor bad characters and I’m definitely excited to see a showdown between them. There is a myriad of supporting characters but it’s Ye Seon-woo (Lee Kyu-hyung) I found really intriguing. I wonder what the writer wants to tell ask by having him pops in and out Ye Jin-woo (Lee Dong-wook)’s head in a lot of scenes. It’s actually a little creepy.

The Bad The pilot episode introduced a lot of characters in one swoop that it’s quite difficult to remember everyone. Add to the problem a complex narrative, then you’ll see yourself rewatching some of the scenes to understand what they’ve actually said and what was really going on.

Full: https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/08/17/first-impressions-life-thirty-but-seventeen-risky-romance-witchs-love-your-honor-time/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@piekeboeboe @purpose We can only hope :') I don't need a No Eul love line, sometimes caring people can't pick one person to love more, they want to love the whole world.

@dzareth @loopo @wanda77 Waiting waiting but it can't be just me wow I have never seen a preview that gives away such major plot points, I can't believe that they let us know one week in advance that Chief Joo would win o.o I guess that means that the Chief of Neurosurgery will get to move up the ranks as well. I hope, earnestly that she keeps to her conscience and her poster tagline that what she does cannot be quantified by money. Right now, at this point where No Eul is still a little shaky, I want Chief Oh to be kept as at least one strong female lead who isn't used for romance. 

@Jusyed Sun Woo :(((( Ahhhh he confessed. Yes, I do agree he might know the answer in his heart (I'm calling it, it'll be a gentle down turn) but we have yet to see if No Eul can see beyond his disability. We have been getting a couple of Noona romances in the k-drama scene recently (don't watch rom-coms but have heard) but in this case, I think it's a no go. Whelp, there goes our perfect ending for Sun Woo, I was really hoping it was just idolatry/love for someone who mothers him but I guess, they just had to and I'm sad. I'm sad for Sun Woo and I'm also sad because they've put No Eul into a position where her romantic choice heavily affects the show. And if now, she ends up agreeing to date him out of pity that's even more painful - let alone if she ends up with someone else (oh I hope, please don't Jin Woo, just stay siblings with No Eul and stay with Sun Woo he's so precious)

But darn if ep 8 wasn't highly emotional. When Jin Woo shifted Sun Woo's hand, I really do commend whoever who directed/decided/suggested that Jin Woo hold Sun Woo's hand with his other as he shifted his grip. If not, I think my heart would have stopped and I think Sun Woo (as a character, this is a show) would have felt extremely insecure in the moment for fear that Jin Woo would let go of him. It's symbolic in the sense that Jin Woo really loves Sun Woo and consciously or not, he wants to keep assuring Sun Woo that he will be there. It's smothering but comforting and to a certain extent, ep 8 has shown us that the brothers are emotionally dependent on each other. 

Also yes man, you ghosted on the lady reporter twice, it's a decent thing to find her in person to apologise. (Go for that romance if you must and use all your cheesy lines, rather than fall for the childhood friend which will complicate things, find someone outside who inspires you and forces you to be honest) Much appreciation to the existence of the reporting aspect, where there are undeniable in the storyline.

Also, @bedifferent you mend my heart, when Sun Woo looks up at Jin Woo I keep hoping they will both have each other at the end. Also curious to see more of the President Goo's thought processes - between seeing numbers and finances and using people because it suits him and 'acting' and 'being' human. I love how this show makes us consider and reconsider characters.

12 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Life "Making Film" - brrrr, cold wind.  Lee Kyu-Hyung's having as much fun on the wheelchair as LDW on the hover board. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Jusyed said:

I  am just thinking what will be Dr. NE answers to  Seon Woo's confession. Will it be :heart: or :heartbreak: ?

Barbie can gives Sun Woo all the :heart:  he needs.

@bedifferent

President Gu has Nighty. They are soulmates.

And don't forget about Gu's bromance with the other Sun Woo (Dr Chang).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, annagriss8 said:

Barbie can gives Sun Woo all the :heart:  he needs.

@bedifferent

SW is loved too. His co-worker likes him... Dr. Joo is there for him too.

Honestly, I ship NE more with Gu as the latter seems to be misjudged all the time. Besides, he has no female admirer unlike YJW or SW. So far, he doesn't really confide to anyone.

• Like 7

RL deadlines is making me miss my daily dose of Kdramas. But I’m finally watching the current episode. I like how they balance things now. But it is just me that is a bit worried that the main plot may be overshadowed by the loveline. Don’t get me wrong I’m not against the lovelines at all (romance is my go-to genre). 

On the other hand, Noeul-ah~ I feel you 

life-episode-6-meme.jpg

Pic source: https://wp.me/p8yFfI-bNj

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

On 8/17/2018 at 1:17 AM, wanda77 said:

Just an opinion: I have the feeling that Gu will not approve dr. Joo as director, dr.Oh provided better qualities for this position; defended her department from restructuring team asking for official document, holding lectures for residents in her free time, keeping her team under control and supervising everything. 

As you said dr. Gu needs to survive himself so, as said in the previews, he always has a backup plan; because... he always lived like that? Watching his back not to make mistakes and being fired, who knows what layers remain to discover regarding  his character.

Seon Woo, I don't want to pity more than that his character... The actor proved once again that stage actors bring something more to their characters, despite the conviction that they might overact.

I think he might know the answer, but he doesn't want to be treated/cared like a child by No Eul.

From the preview, Jin-woo may have convinced a reluctant Dr. Joo to step up and fill his friend's place. There are things that I like and not like about seeing him be the hospital director.  

Let's assume that Dr. Joo gets elected, the drama is setting up some interesting dynamics between Dr. Joo and President.   Seung-Hyo's first approach to give power-hungry Dr. Kim his 11-year dream to exchange for his own agenda was more a symbiotic relationship.  This is a straight forward route.  With Dr. Joo, I think Seung-Hyo can take a step back management method where he will let the chiefs work among themselves to come to a solution to his directives.  The hospital now has someone who is at the opposite spectrum in terms of principles and work ethics.  Is he the best person I wonder?  We have seen how his own nurses didn't like his self less and workaholics ways.  Will he be able to make the hard decisions when it comes to budget reviews and cuts?  Will the politics be a hurdle that is hard to overcome for a man with compassionate nature?  Can he take the left, right side or be in the neutral position?  Can he win support?

For president Goo, it is a smarter way of managing by forcing the hospital staff to take action and accountability of their decisions.  No more blaming management for not coming from the same place as theirs or with their interests in mind.  Like he said to No-Eul, Seung-Hyo is not one to mind the methods as long as they give him the same result that he wants.  Being an outsider himself, it will be interesting to see how Dr. Joo will be able to change to old system, win over new alliances, and redirect the physician's interests.  I'm waiting to see if he can take upon this leadership role a little different than how LBH did.  The former director was loved for his integrity and fought hard against management's involvement.  Yet, I see his way is not the best either as the physicians came to rely on him to shield and fight their battles for them.  Jinwoo, for example, has no time outside of his busy workload to even get involved beforehand.  I think the baby-ing of the hospital staff has to stop just like what Jin-woo is doing for Seon-woo so that Sangook can be better.

On the business side,  Dr. Joo will help win the hospital staff's support for president Goo in regard to the new Songtan's hospital.  I think he is counting on him to help with the personnel move.

Dr. Oh.  She's dedicated to her department but found a way not to be its slave. I'd love for an intelligent strong woman to lead them.   She does lack in the compassion department and not the most personable person out there.  I think leadership has to inspire loyalty from somewhere deep in the heart.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:01 AM, abyssal said:

I don't need a No Eul love line, sometimes caring people can't pick one person to love more, they want to love the whole world.

@Jusyed Sun Woo :(((( Ahhhh he confessed. Yes, I do agree he might know the answer in his heart (I'm calling it, it'll be a gentle down turn) but we have yet to see if No Eul can see beyond his disability. We have been getting a couple of Noona romances in the k-drama scene recently (don't watch rom-coms but have heard) but in this case, I think it's a no go. Whelp, there goes our perfect ending for Sun Woo, I was really hoping it was just idolatry/love for someone who mothers him but I guess, they just had to and I'm sad. I'm sad for Sun Woo and I'm also sad because they've put No Eul into a position where her romantic choice heavily affects the show. And if now, she ends up agreeing to date him out of pity that's even more painful - let alone if she ends up with someone else (oh I hope, please don't Jin Woo, just stay siblings with No Eul and stay with Sun Woo he's so precious)

But darn if ep 8 wasn't highly emotional. When Jin Woo shifted Sun Woo's hand, I really do commend whoever who directed/decided/suggested that Jin Woo hold Sun Woo's hand with his other as he shifted his grip. If not, I think my heart would have stopped and I think Sun Woo (as a character, this is a show) would have felt extremely insecure in the moment for fear that Jin Woo would let go of him. It's symbolic in the sense that Jin Woo really loves Sun Woo and consciously or not, he wants to keep assuring Sun Woo that he will be there. It's smothering but comforting and to a certain extent, ep 8 has shown us that the brothers are emotionally dependent on each other. 

Also yes man, you ghosted on the lady reporter twice, it's a decent thing to find her in person to apologise. (Go for that romance if you must and use all your cheesy lines, rather than fall for the childhood friend which will complicate things, find someone outside who inspires you and forces you to be honest) Much appreciation to the existence of the reporting aspect, where there are undeniable in the storyline.

Love your posts by the way.   You're def a Lee Kyu Hyung fan :)

I'm alright with Seon-woo's confession.  He just needs to do it then get over it so he can move on to finding the love of his life.  I just don't want this to be foreshadowing something dreadful (with his painkillers).  Please no bucket-list confession. I don't want him to be a martyr either.  I am with you, a happy ending for Kyu Hyung for once! He seems destined to play tragic figures.  I love his character choices though, it says a lot about how PD and writers consider his skills. 

PD Hong is known for his Dear My Friends sentiments... See, this is where I see a big difference between Secret Forest and Life.  I'm not sure if it is the intention of the writer or the director vision that made this drama more emotionally weighted.  It feels ages ago that we see anything mentioned about LBH's case.  Has it been closed?  What happened to the detective and the investigation?

Yes, the brothers are so lovely together.  I miss seeing their mom, love the actress.  The hand shifting moved the sentiment from the brothers trying to protect one another to both consciously collectively in it together. :heart:

and @Jusyed god, so many ships. I forever ship Nighty with assistant Kyung-A :lol:  It's not meant to be with No-Eul because she is not the right ship.  I just hope no hating on WJA in episode 9.  It is what it is when it comes to the heart.  No worries for Seon-woo.  His future GF will be unassuming with the same quiet grace as him.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:19 AM, annagriss8 said:

@bedifferent

Soulmates or not, you know Nighty is going to be the first pt to be scanned at the new vet center.  Puppy CF coming soon, prez is planning ahead!  Correct me if I am wrong, SunWoo is not a physician right?  Yet he mentioned knowing Seo-woo's medical school reputation.

Jin-woo was in public health before transferring to a private university hospital.  Will he possibly return to his first love and community involvement in the future?

• Like 4

Lee Dong Wook And Cho Seung Woo Are All Smiles In Behind-The-Scenes Photos For “Life”

by yshin

dacba53114c944e1824952f0655d7af8.jpeg?s=

The cast of “Life” are burning with passion in newly released behind-the-scenes photos!

On August 19, JTBC unveiled several behind-the-scenes photos of Lee Dong Wook, Cho Seung Woo, and other cast members in anticipation for the second half of the drama that will be even more intense.

“Life” is a medical drama about the conflicts that arise as different figures in the hospital have varied beliefs on medicine. Lee Dong Wook plays Ye Jin Woo, an emergency room doctor who values life above all else, and Cho Seung Woo is Goo Seung Hyo, the chief director of the hospital who values numbers above all else.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1217273wpp/lee-dong-wook-cho-seung-woo-smiles-behind-scenes-photos-life

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@hamaji  Soyou of SISTAR will be featured on Life OST3 - Silence.  Releasing today 8/20/18.

We have to congratulate Yoo Jae-Myung.  He's getting married on Oct 21st in a simple ceremony to his (non-celeb) GF of 5 years.  He's fantastic in this drama and such a chameleon method actor.  All different roles in his last 4-5 dramas that I watched.  Yay for finding someone to share your life with, Dr. Joo! :heart:

@triplem oh no... back to school?  hang in there.  Let's hope life calms down after a few weeks for you.

With Goo at the start, we see him doing his homeworks, studying hospital expense, looking at inventories in his office on the first day.  It's the thing I like about our president.  He's coming into his job not knowing but is willing to learn the basic operations before dolling out cuts.   But looking at slides and excel spreadsheets can only get him only so far.  He needed to know more about the stuffs he is going to manage.  Thus as a responsible president, we see him sneaking into the OR late at night, playing with the equipments to better understanding why the OR needed to spend money on 10 operating instruments that look exactly the same.  This is where No-eul comes in as she helps him understand more of hospital operations, its people, their sentiments, the reasons why they do the things they do.  The visits to the NICU, those babies, she gives him the reasons why Pediatrics will always choose to spend for their lives instead of trying to stay in the black.  The reason they spend so much on pediatric medications is due to the fact medications are weight based for children and waste are to be expected.  Compounded to the loss is that insurance does not reimburse hospital for the wasted doses so hospital staff recycle the unused portion by consolidating the leftovers to be used for another pt.  This increases the risk of contaminations and medication errors.  Their night walks give him a chance to learn first hand the stuffs that researches and reports on his desk cannot.   I see her more than a tour guide as No-eul being openly helpful would allow him to fully understand what he manages and possibly make the right decisions.  Others were confrontational and protective of their hospital so are closed off to any improvement or change to the system, may it be bad or archaic.  On a personal level, Seung-Hyo needs a friend.  His job isolated him from having relationships with the people whom he works with.  Maybe that's what he wants as it is easier to deal with numbers and people on a non-personal level.  No-Eul won't change him completely but at least she helps him see beyond the corporate mentality.

I think the department cuts was his first solution to balancing the numbers when coming onto the job.  My feeling is it was to show the change in Goo's character as the drama progresses.  At that time, he was looking at mere numbers on excel spreadsheet and took the logistic solution to the problem.  It was a quick fix and a temporary one.  Bad as it sounds, it was necessary to force the hospital to take a deeper look at their operating expenses.  I like how he turned it on the hospital staff to question their commitment to their patients and the ideal of their professions.  He is absolutely awared his decision will be challenged and opposed.  It is only through this will he be able to identify his foes and possible alliances. LOL  

Hwajeong wants to complete the loop.  They want control of pharmaceutical industry, hospital, insurance and physicians.  It's beyond providing the equipments for the hospital.  It's illegal and there's an anti-trust issue here.  No government will allow this so Goo is trying to shield the identity and his pharmaceutical subdivisions relationship with the hospital.  You'll get to see more in E 7-8.  It's hard to trust and applaud his actions when you realize his ultimate goal.  As he gets to learn more about what gets affected by his actions, I am hoping we see a more humane businessman who is willing to compromise to get the right solutions for all.  Somewhere along this road, Goo will see that the people who he needs to protect are no one other than the patients.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When you don't want to be spoiled before english subs comes out, but you have to peek at the clips for romantic moments :wub: haha

Spoiler

Couldn't see any moments between President & No Eul but seems that Jin-Woo's got a daaate :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1