[Drama 2018] Life 라이프

larus

Love this drama. The complexity of the medical field.  Bought sides have a point and would have to come with a solution in the middle of the field.  Loving every episode. Well direct, the photography, music and acting on point. 

• Like 3

Finished episode 3 and I'm not hating it, not liking it so much either. I guess because its medical that the suspense and thrill that we all felt in FoS is gone. Also,  I had to look up the cast on the web to know what their character names are, kinda hard keeping up with such a wide cast hahaha (similar to FoS, had the same problem ahhaha). Hopefully gets better with episode 4 and gives me that feeling of wanting to much more.

• Like 3

@bedifferent I watched ep 1. I loved it and am so excited for next episode!

I like how the mystery element was presented within the first few minutes itself!! Like you are blindfolded and spun around :lol: This writer knows how to get and hold audience's attention! The tension brews slowly.

Will watch the next episode and come join you guys!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@roli @wanda77 episode 5 was good!

Sad that this thread is so quiet.  You are probably busy but I am sending out SOS, come join us :D  @maddymappo i know you have to catch up LoM :D

@staygold @aisling @bebebisous33 @stroppyse @Dhakra @celebrianna  

Haha. @bedifferent, I’m weird in that I’m squeamish about medical shows but not about bludgeoning in crime shows. I don’t understand it myself. However, reading the recent posts on this thread, it doesn’t sound like this drama has too many scenes that triggers my squeamish gut so I just have to find out where it’s streaming because I don’t believe I saw anything on DramaFever or Viki.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

Haha. @bedifferent, I’m weird in that I’m squeamish about medical shows but not about bludgeoning in crime shows. I don’t understand it myself. However, reading the recent posts on this thread, it doesn’t sound like this drama has too many scenes that triggers my squeamish gut so I just have to find out where it’s streaming because I don’t believe I saw anything on DramaFever or Viki.

Netflix is the subber. But all the subbed sites will rip the subs from them soon (just google and it should pop up on some site somewhere :D )

@bedifferent Finale week for a couple of my dramas. Will join discussions once I start. 

Ratings is holding up:

12 hours ago, loopo said:

Finished episode 3 and I'm not hating it, not liking it so much either. I guess because its medical that the suspense and thrill that we all felt in FoS is gone. Also,  I had to look up the cast on the web to know what their character names are, kinda hard keeping up with such a wide cast hahaha (similar to FoS, had the same problem ahhaha). Hopefully gets better with episode 4 and gives me that feeling of wanting to much more.

Wait till you get to Ep 4... it finally hit me during that ep as the setup for the first 3 episodes fell into pieces. As @bedifferent mentioned, the drama is not touted as a medical procedural show aka House or Grey’s Anatomy. It’s basically office politics in a hospital setting where ideals, morals and business profits goals clash.  One thing to note for those who have watched SF, the writer has taken great pains this time to give the characters more depth, more backstory. Another reason for the slow start.

To be honest, it’s not easy to weave a story involving such heavy and complex topic. But the drama boasts talented cast with the likes of JSW, YJM, LDW and MSR who have managed to carry the story along very well so far. 

Take JSW : His character starts out to be an aggressive young upstart, ready to clean the slate and bulldoze corporate changes to the stuffy old and inefficient hospital practices. However, by ep 4, the story slowly peels away this outer layer to show us that he’s not that cold and heartless as one perceives him to be

LDW: He starts out the show as a responsible and upright Dr who looks up to Dr Lee the late hospital director like his own father. But his image of him was shattered after he stumbled upon dr lee’s embezzlement of hospital funds. This coupled with his sudden death and change in hospital management forced him to step out of his comfort zone and fight back. I guess some viewers might have felt that his acting was too stiff and stoic. Actually on hindsight, it was a deliberate move by LDW to show the character’s indifference and callousness to his environment and later to show the growth in his character as he tries to fight back against what he deems as unjust like how he spoke up in the first townhall. Also, he seems to be under immense emotional stress as he sees visions of his normal brother nudging him like his subconscious. This is similar to how it was after the unfortunate accident during his childhood.

YJM: Gosh, it’s really amazing to see how great an actor he is after watching him in SF and then now in Life. In SF, he was this commanding no nonsense chief prosecutor who plots his next moves meticulously. Now he gets bullied by his colleagues and is such a softie as he doesn’t turn away difficult cases. And when faced against JSW’s GSH,  he loses most of the time like a sad puppy.

Life is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea but if you are patient enough, I believe it will be a rewarding and thought provoking journey 

• Like 5

@bedifferentMhm, doesn't sound too bad. From what I read it sounds kinda interesting. And it's a medical drama too, so the chance of reading some huge medical explanation wall of texts written by you is also very high. Ohhhh....how much I loved those during "Duel". 

So can you back up my imagination of this being interested or is it just kinda okayish? I mean.....there is also Voice starting in a few days and you know, I'm a solo watcher. Once I start something, everything else is on hold.  

SOJIN (GIRL’S DAY) – CLOSE YOUR EYES (LIFE OST PART 2)

Everything disappears like a dream
It flows somewhere like the wind
It scatters, even the pain
When dawn comes, it goes with the darkness

Close your eyes, this night will slowly pass
As if nothing’s wrong, as if nothing happened
Close your eyes, like a rain shower
That falls and stops after a moment

Tears that can’t be avoided
Or fits of life that feels so lonely
They will all pass, quietly
Like the many days of crying silently

Close your eyes, this night will slowly pass
As if nothing’s wrong, as if nothing happened
Close your eyes, like a rain shower
That falls and stops after a moment

I’m quietly screaming

Thanks to POPGASA

preview ep7

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finished episode 5 & 6, i want next episode haha...now i'm as addicted as with FOS! It's so good!

I really liked Jin-Woo's interactions with the reporter! It showed a completely different side of him, made the character more fully rounded for me. I also like the scenes between the president and No-Eul. 

Almost look like there will be a small triangle between them? :P In that case, i will cheer for the president for now. Their scenes are so cute. But Jin-Woo seems a bit jealous too haha, i think they have great chemistry as well. But maybe i will feel a bit sad for Sun-Woo in that case. Maybe that's why Jin-Woo wouldn't pursue anything with No-Eul before. I don't mind if there isn't any loveline but i like those small scenes as a break from all the seriousness~ 

Really look forward to next Monday & Tuesday! :)

• Like 5

I might be only of the few those who actually like the president more than Ye Jin Woo.

Unlike the EM doctor, the resident actually tried to find a solution for the collapse of the hospital and seeks improvement.

I get his methods are do not fit the philosophy of each individual, but how else will he be able to find a common solution for all the departments, including those who are in debt?

To me, the doctors come off as arrogant and seeking their own benefits, that look up for their social status than the real meaning of their job. When the president found a way for them to remain in Seoul and asked them to do something to compensate for what they were given, I got frustrated. You do not get fired or moved somewhere else, you receive medical equipment, yet you complain if you have to do something that does not fit the standards of your own pride ?

JinWoo's reason seems selfish to me too. The fact that he spent"his best years" working for the hospital it is understandable, but I see at not wanting to be separated from his crush. If he really wanted to remain in Seoul, why not seek a job to another hospital. If he is as good as he pretends, then there should be no problem.

The hospital it is private property, not owned by government, which means someone needs to take care of its needs and the future. That someone will always be the bad guys since it has to deal with the ugly part, with the "shadows", so ofc he will not be liked by the majority.

And no offense, I dislike throughly the female lead. She lacks the depth, the story that would allow me to identify for her. She has no aspirations, she is only the pretty doc that serves as part in a love triangle. And she is not an outstanding actress too, one of the nurses was the evil wife in Mistresses. Her skills are better than the "main Barbie", which has a lot to go to match Cha Seung Won and Lee Dong Wook. I don't get why they did not cast a better actress or at least write her character better.

I like the older doctor with glasses that works 36 hours. He seems really humble and truly dedicated. He needs more screen time, more than the main Barbie. The actor does a really good job and I would like to see him more, his character would impact the story more than the main Barbie, in my opinion.

Those are my opinions so far, from the perspective of a pessimist.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, YuKo Wong said:

Take JSW : His character starts out to be an aggressive young upstart, ready to clean the slate and bulldoze corporate changes to the stuffy old and inefficient hospital practices. However, by ep 4, the story slowly peels away this outer layer to show us that he’s not that cold and heartless as one perceives him to be

LDW: He starts out the show as a responsible and upright Dr who looks up to Dr Lee the late hospital director like his own father. But his image of him was shattered after he stumbled upon dr lee’s embezzlement of hospital funds. This coupled with his sudden death and change in hospital management forced him to step out of his comfort zone and fight back. I guess some viewers might have felt that his acting was too stiff and stoic. Actually on hindsight, it was a deliberate move by LDW to show the character’s indifference and callousness to his environment and later to show the growth in his character as he tries to fight back against what he deems as unjust like how he spoke up in the first townhall. Also, he seems to be under immense emotional stress as he sees visions of his normal brother nudging him like his subconscious. This is similar to how it was after the unfortunate accident during his childhood.

YJM: Gosh, it’s really amazing to see how great an actor he is after watching him in SF and then now in Life. In SF, he was this commanding no nonsense chief prosecutor who plots his next moves meticulously. Now he gets bullied by his colleagues and is such a softie as he doesn’t turn away difficult cases. And when faced against JSW’s GSH,  he loses most of the time like a sad puppy.

Hello.  JSW's character is very much like ShiMok imo :P  The way I see it, he's as objective and analytical - without the need for lobotomy- the kind of man who eats and sleeps cold data and facts thus why he is good at what he does.  Writer is using a similar kind of character as SM to uncover secrets and problems long ingrained in the university hospital.  As he starts to know more about the people he managed, Seung-Hyo's ruthlessness evolves into the kind of conviction that is needed to make the right changes for good.

There was a segment in one of the episodes where we hear Jin-Woo's voice over talking about how he doesn't have the courage to turn away from helping people thus he continues on despite exhaustion for his patients.  I see the same mentality in the murdered director LBH, this strong sense of justice and idealism.  The same altruistic code of honor in surgeon Dr. Joo (excellently played by Yoo Jae-Myung) who takes on difficult cases that others pushed at him.  They cannot say no because they feel a strong personal duty bound by their profession to do the right thing for others.  It's commendable but it is also their weakness, something others prayed and exploited.  As the drama progresses, I hope to see them have courage of a different kind.  The courage to speak up for their patients.  Or better, for themselves when they are poorly treated.  We see Dr. Joo gets taken advantage of because he is a transferred surgeon while others fraternizing around him.  Residents keep their heads down, taking on additional works, for upperclassmen.  Oncology chief covering up mistakes for their residents.  No one spoke the truth.  At least not until the end of E5 when Dr. Joo unleashed his pent up feelings about the reason for the low moral of cardiothoracic surgeons.  It took courage and was a good example for Jin-woo to see.

@staygold @triplem @celebrianna thanks for checking in!  If you're afraid of blood and stuffs, stand up and go get a snack or something during those scenes! :P Drama doesn't have LoM's adrenaline.  Episodes 2-3 are almost non eventful but it starts to set up the playing field and chess pieces.  Once episodes 4-5 get going, you'll see how everything starts to connect.  Writer-nim is very meticulous in her plotting.  Things do make sense.  Do keep character chart handy.

@Dhakra  think you will like Voice 2's energy more.   Life is more introspective.  It's more about reality so not sure if you want to watch a drama about real life, most people want to escape it.  That said, I think it's a different kind of thriller and well written/acted.  I promise I won't write too many walls of texts here.  Come by. :lol: Watch this one and Voice 2, it's a good combo.

@ganko  Jin-Woo mentioned that reporter Seo-Hyun looks familiar.  Any guess why, how, where did that happened?  Mr Goo has chemistry with pediatrician No-Eul. In the drama, she appears to understand his points a little.  I feel sorry for Sun-Woo's torch-carrying .  I haven't watched E6 so not sure if they are creating any love triangle here with the two brothers.  I just see her treating the two men like close friends.  Jin-Woo knows of his brother's crush, she has to see it too.  Honestly, I think if the girl is in love with Jin-Woo, she would reciprocate the Vitamin C drinks with her own PPL coffee or something.  So far, no obvious romantic feelings for the Ye brothers in my eyes.

@Schiau  All I can say is I miss Secret Forest's Bae-Doona.  She was lovable but far from being a push-over.  No-Eul I think is a more feminine character; she's supposed to project this sweet nurturing personality to enable her to work with children and parents. As a resident, she still gets work dumped on.   I think she can learn to be stronger, we don't know what kind of surprises the writer have in store for this female lead.  I did like the little night "date" she has with Seung-Hyo, showing him the department that he was going to transfer out.  Those prematured babies in the NICU got to him.  He ran out of there as fast as he could.  Next thing you know, guy came home and wanted to snuggle with his mom!  

...super sleepy so will post more tomorrow once I 've watched E6.

LDW fans, where are you?  Let's hear your thoughts :lol:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

@ganko  Jin-Woo mentioned that reporter Seo-Hyun looks familiar.  Any guess why, how, where did that happened?  Mr Goo has chemistry with pediatrician No-Eul. In the drama, she appears to understand his points a little.  I feel sorry for Sun-Woo's torch-carrying .  I haven't watched E6 so not sure if they are creating any love triangle here with the two brothers.  I just see her treating the two men like close friends.  Jin-Woo knows of his brother's crush, she has to see it too.  Honestly, I think if the girl is in love with Jin-Woo, she would reciprocate the Vitamin C drinks with her own PPL coffee or something.  So far, no obvious romantic feelings for the Ye brothers in my eyes.

Yes, i'm also very curious about that! Could she have been a patient or relative to someone who stayed at the hospital? She didn't seem fazed getting blood on her shoes which makes me wonder if she is somehow familiar with it, but just a far-fetched guess :) 

Yes, it didn't occur to me until episode 6 so might be far-fetched too haha. Jin-Woo seems quite interested in the reporter too. I think it was how episode 6 ended that prompted those thoughts, but then again, episode 3 ending was a bit out of context too haha...I do think they have more of a sister-brother relationship/friendship. Probably just Jin-Woo being protective. And with the constant calling, it must be a bit difficult to even think about dating :P

I enjoy the female lead but i can also understand your thoughts @Schiau In contrast to Oh Se-Hwa, i think No-Eul is more open-minded. From the preview for episode 7, it seems her values will be tested. I hope we can get to know them more as the drama progresses. Right now i think Oh Se-Hwa is too flat as a character, just seem to glare all the time. I was happy the president told her off. 

• Like 4

Finish ep 1-5sub and ep6 raw
I didn't understand much (LOL)  but waiting for ep7 already!
I really don't know why I am addicted to this show and not disappointed  after long wait for air and sub.

* All role doing sooooo good *

I have hope on back-read in this thread to help understand the story.

Are they finish filiming already??

• Like 4

@bedifferent I have to say that this medical drama is totally different from what I expected.

Honestly, to me the real villain of this show seems to be the deputy director Kim Tae Sang. The more episodes we get, the more obvious it becomes that KTS has always aimed at the Hospital director seat. He made sure to start the strike in order to have the support from the medical staff, yet from the start he was never interested in their interests. 

The fact that he told to the Cancer center director that he needed to be as close as possible to Mr. Gu in order to push him aside made me think of the event that happened to the former Hospital director Lee Bu Hoon. I really have the impression that he used the change of the president in order to get rid of his "opponent". When he pointed out the time LBH was acting as director, you could sense that the 11 years were a long time for KTS. 

Strangely, I am rooting more and more for Mr. Gu because unlike the majority of the doctors, he seems to be more open-minded. YJW is biased towards Gu, however he seems to have forgotten how KTS lied and manipulated the staff with his lie. I hope, Dr. Yoo will become a candidate for that hospital director seat.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1