Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2018] The Great Seducer, 위대한 유혹자

2 minutes ago, A-L-1-9-9-4 said:

And does anyone else think that white big pot like artifact  which SH's mom and he was seeing in the flashback might be made by TH's mom. 

Yup almost certain, now that we know that they are in love 

• Like 8

I have finally seen episodes 3-4 with subs and can now comment on the first week of episodes 1-4.  First, the tone and feel of this drama is very different from the novel. Main characters are shown as much more sympathetic and nowhere near as nasty  and vile as in the book. Many of the themes in the novel are either gone or very watered down.  Instead we have the usual teen melodrama set up of awful, nasty parents & their messed up kids.  It's not exactly the drama I was hoping for, but since I like those type of stories too, I'm in for the duration.

Things I Didn't Like:

The writing in this drama so far is weak. The script is uneven and often quite confusing. Characterization is also uneven. To be honest, if I hadn't read all I could of the pre-show publicity materials- character charts, character descriptions, etc. I really wouldn't know what was going on. When you have to rely on pre-show publicity material to understand the drama and can't get everything you need from watching the episodes themselves=poor writing. 

Character of Tae Hee is supposed to be "notorious cold shoulder", but audience is not seeing it.  I thought the rejection of Ki Young  was way too nice-Tae Hee wasn't standoffish at all. 

Character of Se Joo supposed womanizer- not seeing it.  Instead all we see is his total devotion to Soo Ji. 

Soo Ji's revenge against Ki Young doesn't make sense.  Yes, he had an unrequited crush on Tae hee in the past, and he wants to date Tae Hee now, but he really wasn't that upset by her rejection. And it didn't look like he would pursue her in future.  So what if Shi Hyun dates Tae hee? Same thing with Park Hye Jung. Yes Ki Young is social climber and wants the power, but does it really have to be Park family? I don't think so. He'll take any heiress. In fact as soon as engagement was announced, he tried to put the moves on Soo Ji again since her status was now elevated as "JK Group Granddaughter-to be".  I understand where writer was trying to go to make script fit into source material but definitely not working here.  Writer's decision to change Valmont/Tourvel storyline worked against her here as well.  Much better to have actually made Tae Hee Ki Young's girlfriend. This would have made more sense as a revenge motive and fit better with original novel concept. 

Right now, the Soo Ji "revenge" plot is just way to expose the character's warped mindset/attitude. Ki Young smiled at Tae Hee with genuine affection as he never did with Soo Ji. Therefore, Soo Ji hates Tae Hee. Soo Ji can never have Ki Young so Tae Hee must never have Ki Young. Soo Ji hurts so Tae Hee must hurt more.  Normal, mentally healthy Soo Ji would just move on but of course this Soo Ji  is not mentally healthy.  Why must Park Hye Jung pay? Still not sure.  Again, writer could have done a better job of showing Soo Ji thought process if this "revenge' isn't really "revenge". 

Editing can be choppy.  Hope this gets better. Acting ranges from serviceable to meh. I think the main 4 leads are doing OK in their roles. The parents and other adult roles are not as good. I'm hoping as the drama continues, we'll see the entire cast acting improve.  Exception is Woo Do Hwan who is great in this role, helped by his tremendous on screen charisma.

Lack of development for Tae Hee character in beginning eps. While I understand that focus must be on The Trio in beginning episodes, I still wish we could have seen a little bit more of Tae Hee, her backstory, and what makes her tick and also what makes her different from Trio.  Frankly, there was a lot of info thrown at audience in what was the first 2 hours of the drama. I think I would have liked it better if writer could have expanded backstory/setup to the first 3-4 hours of the show so that all 4 main characters could be better fleshed out going forward as well as getting a better handle on side plots and characters.

Things I Liked:

First meeting of Tae Hee & Shi Hyun was not related to revenge plot. They just met on the bus as themselves.

The Trio not being super nasty/bullies to others in general. So refreshing to see that while self interest was present for the Trio's pranks, they were also aware of the wrongful behaviors of the teachers. Also, refreshing to see that they aren't outright mean to the other kids, like Kung Joo when she asked for photo.  They are just in their own world. 

The bonds of friendship can be strong, and the bonds between boys and girls (and also boys/boys & girls/girls) can be deep without being sexual. Thank You!  I love the fact that Shi Hyun and Soo Ji's bonds run deep and aren't based on sexual attraction. Attraction is there, but that is not the driving force nor the main source of their bond. Friends can resent and be jealous of other people and afraid of losing a friend without it being sexual.  I'm glad we will see that dynamic played out when Tae Hee enters the picture. To be honest, I would have liked the drama to have explored the negative side of the Trio friendship a bit more, the codependent nature of it, the selfishness of it, the insularity of it. Perhaps we will see this going forward as drama progresses. 

Tae Hee being smart and resourceful. Loved that she knew all about Shi Hyun's "save her from the pervert" plan on the bus and could take care of herself. I hope we see more of this-lots more!

• Like 10

about the DNA test. I was thinking about this as i was walking home. I do hope it is used as a way for SH to talk to TH about him not being the bio son of father and also about his mom. I would love some deep and real talk between them that gonna build their love for each other. so when the fan hit she gonna remember those talks and  his real feelings. hope he gonna tell her about the bet before someone else do even if she gonna be pissed. i hope this is not gonna be only doom and gloom. but a way for SH to mature and grow as a person! if the other two also gonna grow from this i would be quiet pleased.   

• Like 11

2 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

i don't know.. But still I wanted her to be little bit more brazen.. I could see her melting up instantly.. Is it coz he did little things like her father.. But still she let her guard soon as we could see her imagining him in the bus stop standing n waiting n etc etc!!.. She didn't get to know enough stuff abt him till now.. Just some facts provided by her friend!! I would love to see them as friends before lovey dicey relationship!!.. I want Tae Hee to understand every sides of Shi Hyun even the sides he hides.. *complex*

Agree with you, I would have preferred to see her more stern. 

Need the subs for today and tomorrows episode to air because I will not be impressed that she is already falling for him. Becoming like  any other kdrama.

P.S. The parents and their love lines are just so off - first love, new love, contract love shenanigans!

• Like 6

All i was thinking about when i watching the drama was everyone is entangled in a messy relationship and i can't wait to see how it will get messier.

Anyways, Woodohwan can have it any day, anytime. I am cheating on my husband ji chang wook, who is in the army. But i just can't resist woo do hwan. i was swooning over him while watching today's episode but i was also screaming at tae hee to not fall for him too fast. He need to work harder than how he is now to make her fall for him.

I think je soo will turn out to be the scarier one. His relationship with si hyun will be strained cuz Si hyun will prob hurt Soo ji. 

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, A-L-1-9-9-4 said:

God! It's so complicated .

SH's dad might be TH's biological dad.

SH's dad and TH's mom are in love.

S-ji likes SH.

SH may be likes S-ji, but now he is falling for TH.

And poor Se-joo likes Soo-ji.

It getting messy.

And lots of heartbreak 's coming up.

Almost every charecter will go through it.

TH, SH , their parents, S-ji,S-joo, TH's friend. All of them are up for major heartbreak.

But after watching todays clips .

I wonder why Se-joo takes up beating at his house, because after watching Se-joo punching that guy who was misbehaving with Soo-ji it's quiet clear that he can fight back.

And I would love to see him fight back to his grandfather.

And does anyone else think that white big pot like artifact  which SH's mom and he was seeing in the flashback might be made by TH's mom. 

If you go back to the scene where he visits his mom, he actually talks about him hitting someone earlier. He said he seemed like his dad, and he hated it (not verbatim lol, can't remember the exact words). So he's usually very non violent because his dad is violent and he has trauma about it. When I saw the mom, she looked quite older than I expected, and so it made me wonder if the head of the family is his gramps or his dad... I can't remember him calling the older person anything so I can't be sure.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, A-L-1-9-9-4 said:

God! It's so complicated .

SH's dad might be TH's biological dad.

SH's dad and TH's mom are in love.

S-ji likes SH.

SH may be likes S-ji, but now he is falling for TH.

And poor Se-joo likes Soo-ji.

It getting messy.

And lots of heartbreak 's coming up.

Almost every charecter will go through it.

TH, SH , their parents, S-ji,S-joo, TH's friend. All of them are up for major heartbreak.

But after watching todays clips .

I wonder why Se-joo takes up beating at his house, because after watching Se-joo punching that guy who was misbehaving with Soo-ji it's quiet clear that he can fight back.

And I would love to see him fight back to his grandfather.

add to it Shi Hyun's "uncle" might be his real father and his jerk "father" is his uncle instead!!

I never believed Se Joo was taking beating because he was weak!! he's just letting them do as they please while being their dissapointment son!! but that will come to an end eventually!!

it's Tae Hee's mother's 99.99%!! they wouldn't gie it an importance and care enough to mention it wasmade by an unknown artist if it wasn't made by Tae Hee's mother!!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, sugarandspices said:

All i was thinking about when i watching the drama was everyone is entangled in a messy relationship and i can't wait to see how it will get messier.

Anyways, Woodohwan can have it any day, anytime. I am cheating on my husband ji chang wook, who is in the army. But i just can't resist woo do hwan. i was swooning over him while watching today's episode but i was also screaming at tae hee to not fall for him too fast. He need to work harder than how he is now to make her fall for him.

I think je soo will turn out to be the scarier one. His relationship with si hyun will be strained cuz Si hyun will prob hurt Soo ji. 

I feel the same about literally everything u have said lol 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

2eb83886140e437a653860b972950c31.jpg

Mom...

I punched someone today 

Am I like dad..?

I really hate it. 

Mom....Can you get up and give me a scolding .?:bawling:I'm hurt watching him like this. He was always hiding his pain with smiling face. 

More than this when he will find out about soo ji's feelings :heartbreak:thinking about that my heartaches so much for Se joo. Looking at soo ji I don't think so even in the ending she will accept his heart. 

Shi Hyun and tae hee looking so good together and shi hyun killing with his superior looks and expression. 

But I don't like the parents love triangle 

why they need to drag too much complications- Headaches .

I can't believe this no ost even at this level. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

@RPM i completely agree...wish they focused less on the parental dynamic and more on the 4 main leads' dynamic instead. We already have a obvious love triangle/square whatever shape between the 4 plus Tae Hee's friend...I don't think we need to add the parents into the mix. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Right now, the Soo Ji "revenge" plot is just way to expose the character's warped mindset/attitude. Ki Young smiled at Tae Hee with genuine affection as he never did with Soo Ji. Therefore, Soo Ji hates Tae Hee. Soo Ji can never have Ki Young so Tae Hee must never have Ki Young. Soo Ji hurts so Tae Hee must hurt more.  Normal, mentally healthy Soo Ji would just move on but of course this Soo Ji  is not mentally healthy.  Why must Park Hye Jung pay? Still not sure.  Again, writer could have done a better job of showing Soo Ji thought process if this "revenge' isn't really "revenge". 

Soo Ji's revenge is more a revenge for her hurt pride "he chose them over me (for higher status or real feelings) so I'll ruin them so he won't have them" it's crazy but like you said she doesn't have a healthy mentalityto begin with!! she still have some hope if she tries to get better and have someone that will help her to get better but it's a big "IF" there!!

2 hours ago, biancapot said:

If you go back to the scene where he visits his mom, he actually talks about him hitting someone earlier. He said he seemed like his dad, and he hated it (not verbatim lol, can't remember the exact words). So he's usually very non violent because his dad is violent and he has trauma about it. When I saw the mom, she looked quite older than I expected, and so it made me wonder if the head of the family is his gramps or his dad... I can't remember him calling the older person anything so I can't be sure.

the sneeky woman calls the old man by "abeonim"/father so he must be Se Joo's grandfather, right?!!

--------

subs are out!! :D

• Like 9

7 hours ago, kaoriharang said:

I have to admit after seeing the preview

I was a little taken back that ETH had rather quickly fallen for SH, i thought that there would be a more push-pull going on at least this week.

Well can't blame her... I will fall in love instantly too if the man who is chasing me is Kwon Shi Yun in love leafin love leaf

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

Gotta be honest I loved this ep! 

All SH/TH scenes were a blast (I really can't get enough of seeing Dohwan and Joy lol).

I love how subconsciously he's cracking already for her, and it honestly makes sense for her to fall for him too seeing how hard is pursuing her. BUT the fact that she fell for him doesn't mean things will get easier, on the contrary this is were the real troubles start bc soon  it's gonna be Shi Hyun turn to face his feelings.

The parents/SH-TH parallel was so striking, Idk if he's TH's real father but even if he's not his rl with her mother will cause major troubles for everybody. I can already see SoJii going full evil mood now that she found out.  

SeJoo broke my heart :(  he definitely loves SoJii and you can already tell how ugly things will be in the near future once he finds out about the real bet and SH leaves them for TH.

Speaking of SJ and SH I think today's interactions showed how their real relationship is not that of lovers, but more like sibilings.

Looking forward tommorrow's ep.

@RPM I agree where's the OST?! there's no song yet :( 

• Like 12

Two shows r gonna have their finale..so the drop is expected!! But happy that second episode rating picked.. Hope it increases by next week!! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

Soo Ji's revenge is more a revenge for her hurt pride "he chose them over me (for higher status or real feelings) so I'll ruin them so he won't have them" it's crazy but like you said she doesn't have a healthy mentalityto begin with!! she still have some hope if she tries to get better and have someone that will help her to get better but it's a big "IF" there!!

the sneeky woman calls the old man by "abeonim"/father so he must be Se Joo's grandfather, right?!!

--------

subs are out!! :D

That sneaky woman's relations to the family also confuses me haha. I thought she was the wife of his eldest brother but no one was happy to have her sit at the table, very disrespectful if she was the eldest brother's wife. I don't know, the writer made it too confusing with the details lacking. But if the man is his grandpa, then that means both his dad and grandpa beats/has them beat up. What a family... if it were me I'd probably choose to be poor but free.

• Like 3

I think the adult love triangle relationship ( SWY, KSW & MMR)

is needed for

1) take up plot space

2) to foreshadow what might happen between KSH, ETH & SCJ later on. 

Just finished ep 6 and I hope Soo Ji doesn't use what she saw between Shi Hyun's "father" and Tae Hee's mother to hurt Tae Hee even more than this petty revenge plan she has going on. We know she cares for her mom even though she acts otherwise BUT the marriage between her mom and Shi Hyun's "father" is purely for business purposes (even without him having a hidden love, you can tell by how he treats her), it's not anyone's fault or problem that her mom has feelings for KSW. From what we know so far MMR used Soo Ji's dad and just discarded him like garbage she might do the same thing again to KSW so any guy with sense will have their guard up and not be under the illusions that the marriage is any other reason than business.

Everyone in this show is messed up in someway from the parents down to the kids but (like others have mentioned already) I also wish they made the viewers feel sympathic towards the 3 trouble makers later on instead the first 4 episodes for a darker story line (I also wishes they just showed one full ep a day instead of this weird two 30 minute eps). But so far dispite its faults I like the show ^_^

• Like 6

Just finished episode 6. 

So many love triangle going on in this show. If the children relationship wasn't complicated enough, we got the parents having love triangle going on. If Shi-Hyun's father is really Tae-Hee's real father, that's going to hurt them really bad. It seems like Tae-Hee's mother was Shi-hyun's father first love. If he broke up with her to marry influential daughter then there is unfinished between them. 

Soo-Ji is already punishing Tae-hee for something a jerk guy who hurt her feeling did but imagine now how her feelings will be knowing her mother's fiance is in love with tae-hee's mother. The guy she liked had Tae-hee for first love, now her mother's fiance is in love with Tae-hee's mother. Man that's a lot of anger she will have against Tae-hee. 

Tae-hee and Shi-hyun continue to be cute. There are moments that you could see that Shi-hyun is showing signs of truly genuine feeling but it's too early in the game for him to completely aware of his genuine feelings for Tae-hee. Poor thing, Tae-hee is having a hard time trying to figure him out. I will be swoon over him too. Shi-hyun is an richard simmons but he is handsome one. I wouldn't be surprised if Tae-hee falls for him this early but i want her to hold on and make him more work trying to get her heart. 

• Like 5

Some positive comments from the netizens

[SPOILERS] GREAT SEDUCER E05-06 + RATING

/ 1:16 AM
Spoiler

0000362059_001_20180319230842410.jpg

1.png

1.[+1361, -81] It's pretty, heart fluttering and everything is good but the iron wall is too thin ㅠㅠ (t/n: iron wall: Frequently used as a metaphor for making a distance between friends or people. Like building a hypothetical wall up between them.) 

3.[+713, -113] Joy looks pretty with bangs

4.[+565, -102] It's so fun

5.[+543, -94] Tae Hee did well

7.[+248, -21] It's fun and everything is good,,but the female lead is a little dull...you should have wrote her a little more charming ㅜ I thought she is an iron wall but she is just a wooden wall...what are you doing when the second female lead is more attractive ㅜㅜ I hope you make Joy's character more attractive

12.[+145, -17] It's so fun, I like it so much ㅠㅠ Joy and Woo Do Hwan suit each other so well

13.[+137, -13] A drama that only has a good chemistry between Joy and Woo Do Hwan. You have to show us a lot of this pretty chemistry

-----

Rating: 2.6% | 2.9%
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1