[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Legends 招摇

sugarplum892

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh :( it seems many viewers are now quite disappointed with the legends due to all these unnecessary changes they made to the original novel to add more length, and making it sad rather a happy fluffy ball it should have been, especially with such a solid first 32 ep! At this rate, this drama will go from a 10 down to possibly an 8.5 for me, too, if it ends with a crap ending. Really can’t stand how the writer let this happen

On 3/30/2019 at 6:11 AM, frostflower14 said:

The members of Wan Lu Men did so many good deeds in Cao Ning’s name that he gained enough merit in the eyes of Heaven to become immortal. His mother blamed Zhao Yao for his ascension into Heaven because she did so many good deeds for him. He could help Zhao Yao by asking other immortals about how to resolve the xinmo problem and appear to her in a dream or something. 

I doubt this will happen if they follow the novel world background.

Spoiler

In the novel, Zhao Yao actually plans to ask for Cao Ning help but before this meeting is arranged, she meets with Zhu Li (the restaurant owner) who revealed that he is the Demon King. Zhu Li says to her that if the deity in heaven knew the existence of xin mo Li Chen Lan in the world, the first thing that they would do is exterminate him. Thus Zhao Yao revises her plan of asking Cao Ning for help; even going as far to think that she will fight every deity that dare to harm her lover.

I really like how Zhao Yao is depicted in that part of the novel. It is a very apt representation of her words to Li Chen Lan in the drama: I will never abandon you again, even the world is destroyed.

@Alila Nguyen I noticed that lots of dissatisfaction were start popping out in Jiang Wu arc (I started following the post in weibo around episode 35-36, so I don't know whether there were lots of dissatisfaction in the previous arcs). Lots of the complain were regarding Zhao Yao characterization in that arc and Li Chen Lan weakened power. Right now, after Jiang Wu gone, the comments are mainly about the worry regarding the ending.

I suspect majority of viewers in China are familiar with the novel, thus their dissatisfaction is louder when the change in the drama deviate too much from the novel.

About the spin off, I don't understand why they choose to follow the story of Liu Chang Lin. Is this character that popular in China??

Yea, my post was after I read the news article which seems to follow weibo. Like I was tolerate but I think now it really hit me that we don’t have much left for redemption and with the looming bad ending ahead, they literally destroy what is a beautiful drama :bawling: either way, at least I get to know more about Bai Lu and Xu Kai, and Bai Lu is so cute and funny on Tik Tok (her dancing isn’t the best, but keep practicing and it will be good for her) :wub: I was totally disappointed at the happy camp episode though :/ Bai Lu and Xu Kai barely play/have screen time, possibly because they are quite new still

Reasons Lin Zi Yu stole Lu He Sword:

1. It’s a powerful primeval weapon forged by lightning that was located on a magical island and rumoured to be guarded by magical beasts.

2. She wanted to make a deal for sanctuary with the Immortal Sects. After betraying Wan Lu Men she was being hunted by Si Ma Rong’s spies, so her logic is the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Although I’m surprised Luo Mingxuan didn’t kill her after he got what he wanted from her.

3.She wanted to find someone capable of killing her love rival Lu Zhao Yao. If she can’t have Mo Qing, then she wanted him to regret rejecting her for the rest of his life.

4.It’s a token of affection between Mo Qing and Lu Zhao Yao. Mo Qing risked his life to get Lu He for Zhao Yao so demonstrated just how much he loved her. Lin Zi Yu  always resented that Mo Qing never saw as a woman, so if she can’t have him then she will take his token of affection for his woman.

5. Mo Qing was busy saving Zhao Yao so Lu He was just lying there ripe for the takingDA1-C473-E-D5-C7-42-F5-BE44-D053287-BC99

In the opening of ep 50

Edit: I got the episodes confused, Mo Qing’s flashback is in ep 49

Spoiler

Mo Qing has a flashback of when his father imprisoned him in the cave.He realises that the tea shop owner Zhu Gui is his father the former Demon King

481-A654-A-AE32-4-F90-B4-F1-2-BF221-B0-D
EB379-CD0-621-B-4-CF3-95-A9-CBDB23-E73-A

When Mo Qing’s father imprisoned him, he said Mo Qing has a great power inside him and if it’s not controlled then it will cause a great disaster. He tells Mo Qing that it’s not his fault, “Father is not good” (It’s fathers fault). Mo Qing’s fathers says he’s going to Lu He island and for Mo Qing to wait for him to return. It’s shown that Mo Qing’s father actually transferred some black energy into him (perhaps his Xinmo?) Mo Qing wakes up to find himself back in his old cave and says “Zhu Gui? It’s him.”

@xienrue don't think the web movie is a big budget production so considering the actors' schedules/salaries and the market, Liu Cang Ling is probably the one with the most potential out of all the secondary characters. The actor has the looks that can attract young viewers although his acting has room for improvement.

3 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@xienrue don't think the web movie is a big budget production so considering the actors' schedules/salaries and the market, Liu Cang Ling is probably the one with the most potential out of all the secondary characters. The actor has the looks that can attract young viewers although his acting has room for improvement.

I would think the girl who acts as QZY would be the same par as him? But I guess they need an attractive actor, rather than a pretty actress as actor is easier to market to the teenagers. Plus she has such a big role with him that if she’s in the movie, it will be totally confusing, so they didn’t use her. I’m still adamant that if this series ends badly, good luck to that movie! Lol

I don't think so. Since the target audience of this Drama are women the actors can't be an eyesore. And they get more screentime than in they had in the novels (when it is based on the novel). That is also the reason because the ML actor can be quite bad in acting while the 2nd ML and all supporting actors are way better. Women aren't different from men in this way...we want meat :lol:. And the heroine always falls for the supposingly better looking hero. Never noticed?

I think the character of QZY doesn't have the same kind of draw if made the protagonist. Even if they wanted to, Xiao Yan wouldn't have been available. The filming schedule of the movie clashed with that of The Little Nyona (remake) where she is the FL.

7155f9ably1g1qk70m4xjj20dh0g5qe6.jpg

@usagi1997 You are right but for me, acting trumps looks. If the ML has very good acting skills, he can overcome the fact that he is not the better-looking actor eg Yanxi, TMOPB, etc. If the ML has terrible acting skills, then looks alone probably can't save the drama unless it's an undemanding role that only requires him to look pretty. Younger viewers tend to go for looks first/only.

Can't agree for the last sentence since I know enough grown up women (even 40+) who go by looks only too. For me acting is main point too. I have dropped popular and good stories for that reason.

@usagi1997 In any age group, there are bound to be a mix of preferences. My last statement merely means that among the younger viewers, there is a higher incidence of those who go for looks only or dislike/disaparage a show simply because the actor is too old/ugly in their opinion but as they get more life experiences, some will look beyond looks and appreciate the acting. There are quite a number of shows where I didn't find the ML particularly handsome (although some may disagree) but they won me over with their acting. I do get attracted by good-looking actors but to sustain interest in the drama, the acting and story must at least pass muster.

Archived