[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Legends 招摇

sugarplum892

Another sweet BTS from the time when LCL made LZY's heart flutter for the first time at the pavilion.

Translation:

LZY: But I have no weapon with which to defend myself.

LCL: Within the four seas...(pronounces "four" wrongly)

---

LZY: Beautiful.

LCL: Do you like it?

LZY: I like it.

LCL: So long as you like it.

(He turns and they exchange gazes)

Bailu bursts out laughing: Sorry, suddenly I just felt the urge to laugh.

Xu Kai looks befuddled as she continues laughing.

Bailu: It's nothing.

Xu Kai: You fooled with my feelings.

Director: Let's try again.

LCL: Is the moon beautiful?

LZY: Beautiful.

LCL: Do you like it?

LZY: I like it.

LCL: So long as you like it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

350-E8-DA7-9127-4-B2-A-A022-FC02-D8-AD03

Here’s the translation for Gu Han Guang’s “Four Most Devoted Male Lovers” profile

The most adorably perverse man

Candidate being investigated: Gu Han Guang 

Personality: Three inches does not soften his poisonous tongue, even after completing a task (treating someone) he resents it.

Object of Devotion: Shen Qianjin

Reason for being on board: He developed a negative attitude towards being devoted to a lover. Even without earth, this world is still affected by lovesickness (this sentence was confusing,please correct if if I’m wrong.This is a reference to a poem I think 他生莫作有情痴,人间无地著相思). Outsiders only call him the God of Medicine ,Gu the Resenter. They do not know he only shows gentleness towards one person. To save Shen Qianjin, he took her cold poison into himself.Alone he endured the pain of the cold poison and the suffering of longing/ lovesickness (for Shen Qianjin)

Excellent article by cfensi:kiss_wink::love:

https://cfen.si/2019/03/27/the-legends/

The Legends set to the Wicked soundtrack, or why Zhaoyao is Elphaba

007dupiqly1g0onmfc7rdj33a426r4qu.jpg?w=5

“Are people born wicked? Or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?”

A photographic essay on why Lu Zhaoyao (played by Bai Lu)  from The Legends 招摇 is Elphaba.

update: this is only true up to she explodes the first time. After that, the series goes into original content and all consistent characterization and plot also explode.

img_9366.jpg?w=282&h=495

Like Elphaba, Zhaoyao began as an idealist. She embarks on a journey go see her mentor and the head of land, thinking he’ll support her decisions and declare her good.

The Wizard and I

Do you think the Wizard is dumb?
Or, like Munchkins, so small-minded?
No! He’ll say to me, “I see who you truly are
A girl on whom I can rely!”
And that’s how we’ll begin
The Wizard and I.

006pek9bly1fzov0ej5nbj30tx1e1thu.jpg?w=3

“I’m not wrong. I’m not wicked. I left the mountain of demons and have done nothing that I regret. You’re wrong. You killed innocents. You lost your way. ” – Zhaoyao

Captured by her mentor, Zhaoyao realizes that he was the baddie all along.

Defying Gravity

Elphaba: It’s the wizard who should be afraid, of me.

Glinda: Elphie, listen to me, just say you’re sorry!
You can still be with the wizard
What you’ve worked and waited for
You can have all you ever wanted

Elphaba: But I don’t want it
No, I can’t want it anymore
Something has changed within me
Something is not the same …
It’s time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap!

007dupiqly1g0e0mldo3sj33a426gqv9.jpg?w=4

Zhaoyao spends the next five years living up to her name of being wicked.

Defying Gravity

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
“Ev’ryone deserves the chance to fly”
And if I’m flying solo
At least I’m flying free
To those who’d ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am
Defying gravity
I’m flying high
Defying gravity
And soon I’ll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No Wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down

6d40f7f4ly1g0roxc0vatg20dm05u7wh.gif?w=4

She becomes synonymous with wickedness throughout the land.

Thank Goodness

Ev’ry day, more wicked
Ev’ry day, the terror grows
All of Oz is ever on alert
That’s the way with Wicked
Spreading fear where e’er she goes
Seeking out new victims she can hurt

6d40f7f4ly1fzqw8xyh3hj20u01hctry.jpg?w=3

Soon, Zhaoyao is killed in an ambush by the good people of the land. She’s buried in an unmarked grave.

No One Mourns the Wicked

Let us be glad
Let us be grateful
Let us rejoicify that goodness could subdue
The wicked workings of you-know-who
Isn’t it nice to know?
That good will conquer evil?
The truth we all believe’ll by and by
Outlive a lie
For you and —

No one mourns the Wicked!
No one cries: “They won’t return!”
No one lays a lily on their grave
The good man scorns the Wicked!

007dupiqly1g18ifp2ajcj31wt2tc7wk.jpg?w=2

“You are the new low in my life”

When Zhaoyao first meets Zhiyan, she thinks her useless and silly. Zhiyan is thinks Zhaoyao is evil.

What’s this feeling

What is this feeling so sudden and new?
I felt the moment I laid eyes on you.
My pulse is rushing, my head is reeling…
Loathing, unadulterated loathing
For your face, your voice, your clothing
Let’s just say we loathe it all

img_9760-1.jpg?w=331&h=492

As roommates, Zhaoyao teaches Zhiyan magic, fighting, and how to stand up for herself. Zhiyan teaches Zhaoyao that she deserves to love and be loved.

Popular
Whenever I see someone less fortunate than I
And let’s face it, who isn’t less fortunate than I?
My tender heart tends to start to bleed
And when someone needs a makeover I simply have to take over
I know, I know exactly what they need
And even in your case
Though it’s the toughest case I’ve yet to face
Don’t worry, I’m determined to succeed, follow my lead

img_9368.jpg?w=472&h=325

At one point, Zhaoyao mistakenly thinks that her true love is in love with her best friend.

I’m Not That Girl

Blithe smile, lithe limb
She who’s winsome, she wins him
Gold hair with a gentle curl
That’s the girl he chose
And Heaven knows
I’m not that girl

Don’t wish, don’t start
Wishing only wounds the heart
I wasn’t born for the rose and the pearl
There’s a girl I know
He loves her so
I’m not that girl

007dupiqly1g0u0x4kx8aj32k31gihdu.jpg?w=4

She finally gets together with the guy who supported her dreams from the beginning!

As Long as You’re Mine

Just for this moment
As long as you’re mine
Come be how you want to
And see how bright we shine
Borrow the moonlight
Until it is through
And know I’ll be here
Holding you
As long as you’re mine

007dupiqly1g17ydrv00xj334022o7wj.jpg?w=5

“You’re my friend, of course I have to make your wedding gown for you.” – Zhiyan to Zhaoyao

At the end of book and hopefully the series, her bff runs the sect using things learned from her, continuing her dreams after she and her hubby gets married.

For Good

So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You’ll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better?
But because I knew you

EDit: OFF topic

Spoiler

http://www.dramapanda.com/2019/03/bai-lu-and-leon-lai-yi-to-star-in-jiu.html

Bai Lu and Leon Lai Yi begin filming for Jiu Liu Overlord

Uh, I don’t find Leon Lai Yi any good looking enough to be a lead :/ why... we have so many cute decent actor out there. I understand we need to give people chances but still :/ I want a solid actor with Bai Lu :/ for the young generation, atm, I’m only impressed by Xu Kai :/ he looks great, and acts well, and so tall lol. 

On 3/28/2019 at 1:01 PM, bluehibiscus said:

New BTS video involving our OTP exchanging loving looks (it is not a still although they did not move and there is no sound in front!).

Translation

Bai Lu: What happened to "Not a word is wrong"? (the line he was supposed to say)

Xu Kai: Eh....right...I'm sorry.

Gif:

Too focus... drown in love :wub: this is why I think a lot of Xu kai’s loving gazes at ZY is so genuine. Now I have to try and watch Yanxi :/ from various clips on YouTube, I can’t say I can stand the main actress :/ something about her character’s personality rub me off the wrong way. But since it’s so well loved, I think I will like it??

Just finished watching episode 49-50. Yesterday, I was just following through weibo forum; what I have seen made my heart hurt. I get that the writer seems want to redeem Jiang Wu character by his noble sacrifice in saving Zhao Yao and getting killed by Luo Ming Xuan in return. However, he has annoyed me too much in the previous episodes so I cannot really sympathize his death. His character is of a child, his mind worked differently from normal person. He claimed to love Zhao Yao but what he did was ones that would make Zhao Yao sad (hurt Li Chen Lan, kill Wan Lu Men disciples, etc). Looking at his background as xin mo, this characteristic is understandable. I even can see myself liking this kind of character if only I am not already far too attached to the male lead (I am a person who often love antagonist character than the protagonist).

Xu Kai interpretation of Li Chen Lan has drawn me, my heart get pained everytime I see him in distress. I don't have heart left to care for Jiang Wu however interesting his character is. Moreover, Zhao Yao reaction when seeing Li Chen Lan (after his supposed sealed state) made me cold. She didn't ask for Li Chen Lan well being, but instead telling him about Jiang Wu sad fate. Sigh ..... With this attitude, if someone watching this and does not know the history of Zhao Yao-Li Chen Lan, they will definitely say: This woman has an affair with another man. She loves both of them and now one of them is dead.

I know the words are kind of harsh. But the drama makes Zhao Yao too attached to Jiang Wu until some point I get the feel that Zhao Yao actually attracted to Jiang Wu (not love yet but attracted yes). Please this is not rom com drama which the female lead is distressed in choosing either first or second male lead. Even though based on personality, Jiang Wu is matched with Zhao Yao, she already gave her heart to Li Chen Lan. There should be a priority list inside her heart with Li Chen Lan being on top.

Okay, I shall stop my comment regarding Jiang Wu and Zhao Yao. Lets talk about Li Chen Lan. At this point of time, it is so distressing that no one that is able to really comfort him. His expression after he killed the bird .....:bawling: It is too painful to watch. He internalized all his pain within himself, never let anyone know (including Zhao Yao) the real extend of his distress. I don't know whether he really doing this for the sake of not worrying others or it is a kind of habit caused by his life experience. He has this inferiority complex which I think kind of making him tend to give but so afraid to take.

I believe the drama makes Li Chen Lan human with xin mo, not pure xin mo like in the novel. In the flash back with the father, the Demon King literally claimed Li Chen Lan as his son. Therefore, I hope this fact play crucial moment that can let Li Chen Lan back to life. Open ending is fine as long as there is enough hint to let us know our couple will be together.

Spoiler

Based on next episodes preview, I think he has decided to seal himself; just waiting for Zhao Yao leaves Wan Lu Men so she cannot stop him. However, based on ending song scenes, I think he will be the one that kills Luo Ming Xuan. And we also still have that bed scene. The last week surely will give us lots of bittersweet scenes.

I will be so disappointed if this is not going to be a Happy Ending .:bawling: Why script writers, why ??????? You people don't make any sense.:rage:.

Xu Kai and Bai Lu is extremely good together :). Hope the script writers choose a happy ending for our Mo Qing and Zhao Yao, they deserve to be together forever. Please follow the beautiful novel ending.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:56 AM, miyaism said:

I liked the part where she made him a butterfly and he asked for another one because he like it in a pair. I now feel like this was foreshadowing the end (if it is as the author mentioned). Knowing butterflies and pairs and Butterfly Lovers, it’s not going to end well.

Well the butterfly lovers sort of had happy ending. They were together in death...

9 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Xu Kai won me over even more with this drama no matter how it ends i have loved the OTP moments and Xu Kai acting which is better then Yanxi even though this was filmed before. 

The Legends started filming only after Yanxi wrapped up filming. 

@frostflower14 The second character in GHG's lover's name is Qian (thousand). The Chinese poem means: In my next life I do not wish to be infatuated or lovesick, for the pain of it is simply too much for me to bear in this life.

I think 三寸不烂之舌,怼就完事了 means he has a quick silver tongue and he never fails to finish with a retort.

最反差萌 means he is the most adorable man of contrasts.

1. They were so adorable in this new BTS. No wonder the chemistry in the drama was off the charts.

Translation

Caption: The female demon king is me

Caption: Xu Kai singing and talking

BL: You are ruining my style!

XK (makes a gesture): Spiral Circle

XK (singing): Keep it simple

BL (singing): Talk in a simple way

XK (singing): You are not an actor

BL: I have something to say to you

XK: You're hurt. Come to my study to wash up. (?!)

BL: You smile...later if you smile...

BL: Come, come, come, I'll give you face [by eating some].

2. BTS of Bailu in Sima Rong's wheelchair

Translation

BL: Sima Rong's special transport.

3. BTS of LCL burning JW's note -

Translation

Staff: Too late

LZY: What are you burning?

LCL: It's nothing

Director: Let's do another take

Xu Kai: My mom says I cannot date until I am 30.

She responds with a disbelieving "Hah": You mean 13.

Xu Kai: Hits me everyday...

One of the staff: Forget it, you must have disobeyed her wish.

Xu Kai: I haven't had a single girlfriend.

Xu Kai: Director, are we done with the burning of the note?

Director: It's done.

E83-E2924-15-C6-4330-99-C3-BB2-D6-FA882-

“You are mine, no one can take you away.” 

This quote is from episode 49, just before Mo Qing goes to accept Jiang Wu’s challenge he says this line silently as he hugs Zhao Yao

5-A93800-D-77-C3-421-A-8399-F5-C67-BB455She is my only weakness and the reason for my strength”

This quote is from episode 15 (I think) after Mo Qing retrieves the Lu He sword. Gu Han Guang tells Mo Qing that as Sect Leader of Wan Lu Men he shouldn’t have a weakness.Mo Qing replies that “She is my only weakness and the reason for my strength”

3-F8343-F7-35-F9-4-D44-AF9-F-9-F97-FADD4

E73-B96-AC-D9-D4-4-EE3-8-E4-C-FC084-C600

Is this Xu Kai at a bad angle or his stunt double???? This scene looks like the duel between Mo Qing and Lin Zi Yu to get Lu He Sword back after it was stolen by her.

FF30-A589-4-A5-C-4-EC7-958-B-B5-B0-CFF37

Mo Qing’s “Death Glare”

How dare you let your body get stolen by Qin Qianxian?  I can’t actually harm you,so I’m trying to glare you to death.

BD6-FFA1-F-8-E71-4975-AB45-42-D571761-E9

“He’s not listening”

How dare you marry someone else? Your explanation better be good!

ED38-D9-D9-6-BAB-4847-AA8-C-94315-E4-ED2

Awww, poor Si Ma Rong. He’s still imprisoned so is forced to witness Mo Qing and Zhao Yao’s lovey dovey reunion.

New interview with Xu Kai

Translation (Please do not repost without permission or credit):

1. In the drama that is currently being broadcast, you play two characters. What is your understanding of them?

The first to appear is Mo Qing. He's the son of a Demon King who has been sealed inside a mountain. He is very ignorant, innocent and simple but outsiders treat him as an evil person. After a series of experiences with the people outside and the realities of the world, he becomes Li Chen Lan.

Spoiler

2. It is said that you first became interested in acting because of Chinese Paladin.

It's true. When I was a child,  internet was not as prevalent in homes so we played computer games like Jin Yong or Chinese Paladin. In the early days, Chinese Paladan was a standalone computer game which involved getting past different levels. Later, Chinese Paladin was released as a TV series. I watched it and wow, it was really amazing. Hu Ge was like an exact copy of Li Xiaoyao. I felt I wanted to act in a show like that.

3. It seems you enjoyed playing the game at the time?

Of course. My emotions were led by the plot development. I cried as I played.

4. Your period dramas have been released consecutively. Have you thought of trying other kind of roles?

I have been filming period dramas at Hengdian for two years. Now I would like to try modern dramas or more serious kind of dramas.

5. I heard you made a wish to walk out of Hengdian. Do you have any Hengdian strategies, now that you've stayed there for two years?

Hengdian? Not really. Actually I was bored. My life was alternating between working and going back to the hotel to sleep. Really. My schedule was so tight that I had no time to go out.

6. What is nice to eat at Hengdian?

There are a couple restaurants that are not bad but you get sick of eating [the same food] after a while.

7. What's your recipe at Hengdian?

HK-style milk tea from a particular restaurant, curry chicken rice, KFC and some Shaxian snacks. You can't really find any particularly delicious food at Hengdian.

8. In your opinion, which of your roles to date has garnered you the most number of fans?

Up to now, I think it is still Fucha Fuheng. I hope to get roles that can exceed it in future. To be honest,  when I was playing this role, I did not think it would win me a lot of fans. Perhaps this is because males and females have different viewpoints and preferences. I was thinking, "How can such an innocent person exist in this world?" Even after being deceived and hurt, he still has to something something [sic]. I was feeling depressed, helpless and unhappy every day that I played this character. I never imagined that when the show was broadcast that fans would love this type of man.

9. Fuheng has indeed won you countless fans. When did it occur to you that you had become popular?

When I walked in the streets, passers-by took pictures of me and posted them on Weibo. People photographed me when I was at the airport. It was of course nervewracking. Actually, there was nothing happy about it. I felt quite tense.

10. When people suddenly took photos of you at the airport that day, how did you feel?

I broke into cold sweat. It felt strange as I had not yet adjusted to it.

11. How do you view the changes this role has brought to your life?

The period of tension has passed. Now it is more about calming my mind and focusing on completing my work.

12. Was there any stage of ill-adjustment? How do you cope with the sudden changes in your daily life?

I do more reading and I still do what I have to do. I don't feel like I am something something [sic]. I am not popular. (Caption: "Not popular?) This came about because of a particular show and not because I am very something [sic]. I do what I have to do. I wear pajamas to work (Caption: Really?). I don't dress up or tidy up. Work is still work. I think the biggest [impact or change] is I'm more experienced now and have learnt a lot. I got to experience a lot of firsts because of the help this drama gave me. I was constantly learning.

13. Do you often peek on Weibo? How does it feel interacting with your fans?

Yes, I do. I think it's quite fun. As long as they enjoy it, it's great.

14. What do you do when you come upon negative comments about you?

Actually, I don't really care about these. If they like me and support me, I'm happy and grateful for their love and encouragement. If they don't like me and scold me, it's normal. Where there are people praising you, there will be people who want to step on you. I choose to ignore [the negative comments].

15. How do you adjust yourself during your breaks?

I listen to music and read books. There is nothing much to adjust actually.

16. Previously you wrote a letter to yourself seven years later. Why 7 years? Can you share a little bit of what you wrote to yourself?

My father would often encourage us from young. There is this Chinese saying about what a man should achieve by 30 and 40...I've forgotten [the exact words]. Success did not come easily to my father so I promised my family I would achieve certain targets before the age of 30. I will not go into what the targets are but one of the main points is to spend more time with my family members.

17. What is the biggest influence your family has on you?

I am expected to be independent.

18. Do you feel you have achieved your expectations for your career?

I didn't really have any expectations. I wanted to be an actor but I never set out to be famous or make a lot of money. I just wanted to give it a try and see if I can achieve a personal breakthrough.

19. Which aspect of your performance do you hope to improve on next?

[The delivery of] my lines. My Mandarin pronunciation is not very up to standard. I have engaged a teacher to teach me as the delivery of lines is a very important aspect of acting but I'm still lacking in this.

Archived