[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Legends 招摇

sugarplum892

@miyaism, I love the two MVs you made! Great editing and good choice of music.

I just read a post by the scriptwriter that has shaken my faith in a HE. It turned out the script was written under great time pressure while shooting was taking place and the stressed team wrote an open-style sad ending. The final ending may be different from the script because of the editing but if they never shot the happy ending, how to get a happy ending? I'm so upset right now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

@miyaism, I love the two MVs you made! Great editing and good choice of music.

I just read a post by the scriptwriter that has shaken my faith in a HE. It turned out the script was written under great time pressure while shooting was taking place and the stressed team wrote an open-style sad ending. The final ending may be different from the script because of the editing but if they never shot the happy ending, how to get a happy ending? I'm so upset right now.

Sigh.... was about to comment that after tonight episodes, my fear is coming true.... it’s gonna be super rushed! Uh.... cdrama and their ambiguous ending.... why? Why? Why????? Like I said

Spoiler

I’m sad that GHG is gone but the amount of time dedicate to his death is overkilled! And the flashback of LCL and his cave :rage: 

like I would be ok if we have 58-60ep, but we only have 55! That’s like 5 eps to go, just over 3.5hrs to kill LMX, then LCL go full demonic then kill LCL then an ending... and since all the “grand happy scenes” have been used up, yup, there will be no happy ending for us :bawling: how could they do this.... when the novel has a great happy ending, the adaptation might have many flaws.... but the one flaw it should never ever have is to change the solid ending! Into anything else! I don’t want a remotely open ending! I don’t even need a dialogue lol! Just film those two together! And put 2 random kids next to them! How hard could that be lol!!!!!!! Rushed or not... surely that’s not hard to film lol! It’s gonna be an uproar I’m telling ya!

Spoiler

JW’s death was great, and you can’t hate him... he knew killing LCL would make ZY hate him, so he only puts him into slumber. His sacrifice for her was well done. I lol at the impression of QQX when he wakes up, it likes a mother lost her child lol :joy:

LMX can’t be put into a sleep spell using blood magic any more because he is now having xinmo inside? Since he’s running around absorbing people’s life force and xinmo (JW’s power got decreased because he kept being absorbed by LMX)? And blood magic is dark magic, and I’m guessing dark magic and xinmo don’t clash, so spell doesn’t work?

1 hour ago, bluehibiscus said:

I saw that post and even with my limited understanding I knew it wasn’t good :bawling:

My hopes just went out the window. Be prepared for some badly written fluffy fanfictions as I may need those to console my heart ATM 

On today’s episodes.

Spoiler

I liked the part where she made him a butterfly and he asked for another one because he like it in a pair. I now feel like this was foreshadowing the end (if it is as the author mentioned). Knowing butterflies and pairs and Butterfly Lovers, it’s not going to end well.

Interview with Dai Xu

Translation (Please do not repost without permission or credit):

Dai Xu: In the drama, I am Xu Kai's love rival but we acted more like lovers

He's Teacher Jiang Wen's brother, Jiang Wu (this was said as a joke as the character shares the same name). When I read the script, I was quite happy. Being from a demonic sect, the first impression people have of him is he must be evil. But LCL and LZY are also from demonic sects. We are leaders of separate demonic sects. He is not human. His entire life can be summed up by one of his lines, "Live for Zhaoyao, die for Zhaoyao". (It can also be read as "Live ostenatiously and die ostentatiously").

[The characters played by Xu Kai and me] are arch-rivals but we acted in a very fun way. The character of JW was written as too ruthless initially so I discussed some of my views with Ah Jiu (the nickname of the author of the novel) and Teacher Scriptwriter. Later in the drama, Xu Kai and I would spend quite a bit of time together but if we had followed the way the script was written, there would have been no way it could be established. We found an amusing way for both to be in the same scene. Although they were enemies, there was a sense of strong chemistry. We acted like lovers...I kept flirting with him. I would touch his face because he was a super serious character who took care of his face. I would caress his face and say. "What a pretty face." I was constantly teasing him, ticking him off. Whenever we met, it was easy to end up fighting. His character was more collected and unwilling to fight with me but I was spoiling for one, so I had to find a way to make him furious...I used lots of ways to flirt with him. If not, I would try to be ambiguous. Then we would fight. Usually, all he could do was "enjoy" the process...(drifts into helpless laughter) Often when we were acting together, we ended up bursting into laughter.

Q: How did you coordinate your fighting actions with the special effects?

We would confirm with the director beforehand how the special effects would be drawn. Then we matched them with our actions and employed our imagination. We imagined what it would be like every day until later, I would say to the special effects artist, "This is how I imagined it. Can you try your best to draw it? I will entrust the tough work of post-production in your hands." Yes, post-production is a tough job.

Q: How did the design of the hairstyle come about?

Initially, it was completely different. I asked for something showy. He has two kinds of hairstyle. My character is very fun; he can create puppets to do stuff for him outside. His real person has long hair while his puppets have short red hair like Sun Wukong [the Monkey King from Journey of the West].

007DUpiqly1g1hs1940myj33a426r7wj.jpg

007DUpiqly1g1fcmg3plzj32io1og4qs.jpg

Spoiler

007DUpiqly1g1fcmh6jnhj32io1ogb2e.jpg

007DUpiqly1g1fcm3g4nwj32io1ogqva.jpg

007DUpiqly1g1fcmiw9zhj32io1ogx6r.jpg

can anyone share where they watch this series in english subtitle? youtube only has english sub up to episode 6 and other websites only have up to episode 16. I cannot find any english subtitle beyond episode 16. Please help! I love this series and want to watch it soooo bad. 

1 hour ago, maryly09 said:

can anyone share where they watch this series in english subtitle? youtube only has english sub up to episode 6 and other websites only have up to episode 16. I cannot find any english subtitle beyond episode 16. Please help! I love this series and want to watch it soooo bad. 

You are in luck. Ep 17 just come out from subber website. :)

Though I cant find non sub version beyond ep 42. Where do you guys watch it?

1 hour ago, maryly09 said:

Sorry, most of us are watching it raw or in another language :/ 16 in English is the only one you get for now :/

@kuuto YouTube has all the raw one, up to 50. If not, pm me and I’ll give you my Vietnamese link one lol

Finally i caught out with this forum, i found this show like last week and i've been investing my time to read all of this. I just hope the ending is not rushed and and pacing goes well. Although i hate sad ending and those other thing (she think he dies but he aint, y'k what i mean?) 
I realise i should just go and learn more chinese cause i feel like most website only license show that has popular names on the list and ignore the upcoming actress and actor. :'(

7 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@Alila Nguyen It is indeed a cardinal sin to have a sad ending when the novel ended happily. Like I mentioned, there were some pretty obvious filler scenes in this show as there wasn't enough meat in the original novel but at least give me the happy ending.

Lol, exactly! I don't mind all the angst and challenges or even one of the leads having to wait some years for the other to come back, but at least give me a solid happy ending (and definitely do not want open ended sad ending where one wait indefinitely for the other). I can tolerate having extra arcs and even unnecessary third party in order to lengthen the drama, but it's definitely a sin when the drama totally deviate from the novel in terms of ending for no particular good reason (as i mentioned previously, sad endings does not mean the ending is more meaningful or whatever)

8 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Hmmmmm.......

Usually drama script is already done beforehand... your info indicates that what's happening now, could have been because there's too much changes were done from the original script that they don't know how to end the story.... :( 

As I said before,,, I think the script writing style in this drama is that they present the story in a roundabout way.. we will get to the point somewhere in the latter episode.. but we have to move pass endless filler first.... 

Sigh.... I dunno what to say anymore.... I mean there's nothing we can do about it... the story basically done.... I just hope that they will give justice to ZY and MQ's ending... 

One thing I would say is that the script writer's team must have drunk too many gallons of water from River of forgetfulness that they forgot and don't understand the viewers would protest seeing the Male lead and Female lead's weakened like this. 

Don't get me wrong.. I understand Mo qing's feeling completely... but how the writing made Jiang wu all powerful to the point of bullying the male lead like that just leave a bad taste in my mouth!

@lynne22 They couldn't finish the script beforehand because besides having to increase the number of epidsodes from the original 40 to more than 50 episodes, they had to rewrite the main premise regarding burning of incense paper and ghosts. They were burning the midnight oil and even put on weight from all the eating they did to sustain them through the gruelling hours.

9 hours ago, Alila Nguyen said:

like I would be ok if we have 58-60ep, but we only have 55! That’s like 5 eps to go, just over 3.5hrs to kill LMX, then LCL go full demonic then kill LCL then an ending... and since all the “grand happy scenes” have been used up, yup, there will be no happy ending for us :bawling: how could they do this.... when the novel has a great happy ending, the adaptation might have many flaws.... but the one flaw it should never ever have is to change the solid ending! Into anything else! I don’t want a remotely open ending! I don’t even need a dialogue lol! Just film those two together! And put 2 random kids next to them! How hard could that be lol!!!!!!! Rushed or not... surely that’s not hard to film lol! It’s gonna be an uproar I’m telling ya!

Now that you mentioned it, i almost forgot we are reaching the end in another 5 eps,! I feel that if they wanted lengthen the drama, they should have put more time and effort in the part where MQ becomes demonic. The struggle would have been more real and angsty here, and like the preview for ep 52, i would love to have more scenes where he struggled desperately on the fine line between his desire to protect ZY and the xinmo inside him who obviously wants to kill her and destroy everything.

On a good note, i like the preview for the upcoming eps!

Spoiler

In ep 51, when ZY realised that using the Wan Jun sword is causing MQ to lost control to his xinmo and deteriorate further, she told him to seal the sword and never use it again. But MQ refused and said he needed it to kill LMX, so ZY asked him to stop thinking about her revenge. She declared that her entire life doesn't exist to kill LMX, but to protect/guard him. This really makes me want them to have a happy ending omg!

My translation of Dai Xu's blog post on JW which touched a little on the scriptwriter's post (Please do not repost without permission or credit):

Today, JW went offline (euphemism for dying). Two days ago, I read Ah Jiu's post which answered some questions from fans of the novel and saw her dilemma and anxieties. The creation of a drama isn't something that one can decide on alone. Thinking back, I had a lot of discussion with the production team about the character's personality, the direction he's heading, his turning point etc, to the point where I hoped to be able to give my voice [figuratively] to complete the character in the end. The story of Zhaoyao reminds me of Six-Fingered Strings Demon -- the orthodox against the unorthodox sects and innumerable  killings by the demonic sect. Does mass killing make one a bad guy (compared to [the Six-Fingered Strings Demon], JW is really a good guy :))? This was one of the questions I asked myself. At the same time, I worked very hard to answer the many questions that the script raised...

In the end, I remain grateful, grateful to everyone for accompanying me for so long, all the actors, Ma Jie [the person who dubbed his character] and Bao Zi Sister for their guidance. Thank you, iQiyi.

Goodbye, JW.

We will meet again...soon.

6ced4cbbly1g1i9u1defrj2334223b2a.jpg

30 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

@lynne22 They couldn't finish the script beforehand because besides having to increase the number of episodes from the original 40 to more than 50 episodes, they had to rewrite the main premise regarding burning of incense paper and ghosts. They were burning the midnight oil and even put on weight from all the eating they did to sustain them through the grueling hours.

Hearing this makes it even more sad..... sigh..... On one side I feel for them.. I get it that stress can impact someone's creativity..

But on the other side.. I also think that if something is not that good to be viewed why push it? its not fair for the writers them self, the actors.. and it can even decreased the value of the production that everyone have put a lot of energy into... 

Anyway.. that's just my 2 cents.. :D. I'm not trying to make an argument or anything :D... besides, the story is basically done.. so like it or not.. the ending they gave us is the only ending we'll get.

That being said, the re-watch value of this story.. is still quite good IMO... @angelangie I would still recommend everyone to watch 1-41 (the wedding) and then stop... Xu Kai and Bai Lu are great on their role as Mo Qing and Zhao Yao lols....  I'll let you know how it ends later... :D 

And uh.. just to cheer up everyone..... we still have this scene to look up to you know.... I used to think it will happen in the middle of the drama.. but looking at Mo Qing's teasing and happy smile.... maybee.. just maybe mind you.. that the drama could still be HE... lols.. I'm not trying to build everyone's hope... this is just me sending happy thoughts... 

DyzCj1PUcAAtkam.jpg

DyzCj02UYAA87TQ.jpg

As the lyrics of the main theme go: “One night like a dream,my heart is spellbound...”

Mo Qing must have thought he was dreaming when Zhao Yao appeared before him that night she was really really drunk. He couldn’t believe his ears when she said she had come to find him (in the book she said it was for a far more racey reason).He had a number of reasons for resisting her advances:

1.He didn’t want her to mistake him for someone else. In the novel, he doesn’t “oblige” until she called him Mo Qing.He was really self conscious because he thought the black markings on his face made him really hideous.

2. He didn’t want her to think he took advantage of her

3. He wanted to keep his job. Having an affair with your superior is not a good idea no matter what occupation you are in. Mo Qing wanted to keep his position as a guard so that he would be the first person to see Zhao Yao when she returned and the last person she saw when she left on her adventures. He was afraid she would be ashamed of her momentary lapse of judgment and dismiss him.

1 hour ago, bluehibiscus said:

New BTS video involving our OTP exchanging loving looks (it is not a still although they did not move and there is no sound in front!).

Gif:

giphy.gif

Dude i can feel the love in his eyes and vibe, so subtle yet so intense. If this couple dont get a happy ending i feel like i need to kill someone 

Archived